Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 Offseason

+7
KTodd
PocketPass
NoPoNeighbor
wrv
DoubleDipper
blacksheep
PilotNut
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2015 Offseason - Page 2 Empty Re: 2015 Offseason

Post by Geezaldinho Fri May 22, 2015 10:23 am

I see the restricted area arc isn't painted.
I wonder if they are going to wait and see if the NCAA changes the restricted area from three to four feet?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:03 pm

I recently had the opportunity to spend a little time with Alec, Jarrel, and Chiir while hanging out at Howard Hall.

First, Alec is confident as every and is really working himself back into shape after a pretty rugged season.  With new recruits Xavier and Jazz for him to go against in practice, he's confident sure he'll develop into an all-WCC performer.  Very Happy

Second, Jarrel and Chiir are exceptional looking athletes, but just as important as their skills on the basketball court, their personalities are exceptional, especially for "new guys" who are just learning to fit in.  Oh, and Chiir pronounces his name "Share."

Jarrel and I talked about his parents who are a long way off in New York (with no intention of coming west!), but when it comes to being away from family, I doubt anyone is further away in terms of geography and culture than Chiir's parents and siblings....they are all in South Sudan!!  Chiir says his parents would probably never leave, but his siblings want to get out as soon as possible, but it takes a lot of money to do so.

Ray, Rashad, Colin, Xavier and Jazz will start at UP during the second summer session...which I believe begins on June 29.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:13 pm

Wait...

You just happened to be in Howard Hall?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:52 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:You just happened to be in Howard Hall?
Haha, yea, if you want to shoot some hoops at UP that's the only place that's available until the crime scene tape comes down from around the Chiles Center floor or the Beauchamp Center opens.  

I was allowed to take a quick peek inside the Pilot House Pub.....nothing to see really, as it's being stripped bare for the most part, but the architect showed me one man's concept for the area to be reserved for PilotNation members:

2015 Offseason - Page 2 Pub_210
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Sweet! I love backs on my stools.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:22 pm

You mean the Portside Pub?  I like the efficient design!

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:58 pm

How was the Pilot Nation Cabana looking? We are supposed to be able to get bottle service in there.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:49 pm

PilotNut wrote:How was the Pilot Nation Cabana looking?  We are supposed to be able to get bottle service in there.  
Do they bring you your whole bucket?

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:41 pm

up7587 wrote:Do they bring you your whole bucket?

Well, it's not as fancy as the Orleans... Rolling Eyes

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:33 am

PilotNut wrote:Well, it's not as fancy as the Orleans...  Rolling Eyes
Hahaha....well, I wasn't paying so I'm not really complaining, but what was drunk in Las Vegas (Bud Light Evil or Very Mad ) fortunately stayed in Las Vegas...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:23 pm

Recognize this guy?
2015 Offseason - Page 2 557a2c10
That's Derek Duman, the new boy's basketball coach at North Albany High School.....and a math teacher and an assistant football coach.

Still don't recognize him?  That's understandable, but for four years he was the manager of the UP men's basketball team, graduating in 2012, as I recall.

So, Coach Reveno now has at least two former managers in the coaching business, including Alex Kirk, 2009, the head coach at Clark College.

So, that's an interesting legacy, be a student manager under Coach Reveno and eventually become a coach.  I would imagine current head manager Gat Bol would one day like to be coach too.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:14 am

Here is an SB Nation article about the WCC for next season. 
west-coast-conference-basketball-preview-2015-2016

Nice words about Alec. The writer does lose some credibility in reviewing last year's post-season, when after talking about GU, BYU, and SMC, he says this: "Pepperdine was the only other team in the league to receive a postseason invite".  I know it wasn't much, but that Sac St. game was a postseason game. Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:01 pm

up7587 wrote:Nice words about Alec. The writer does lose some credibility in reviewing last year's post-season, when after talking about GU, BYU, and SMC, he says this: "Pepperdine was the only other team in the league to receive a postseason invite"..... Crying or Very sad
Um yea, and he should probably check his notes on Desmond Simmons and Aaron Bright transferring to SMC.  He's correct, but it was a before last season and now they've both graduated.  Rolling Eyes

But yea, those are VERY nice words about Alec.  I too think he can have a very good season if his teammates can take some of the pressure off him and he doesn't get beat up to the point of exhaustion by mid-WCC season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:49 pm

And the offseason work is underway.
Eric Jackson @coachejackson12 wrote:Today the new Pilots began their mission to be the best team they can be. Writing their own future #wyoup #bigmoment
@PilotHoops wrote:New team. New season. Time to grind. #pilothoops #gopilots

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:01 pm

Don't expect to find it any easier to park near the UP athletic fields and courts this coming year....

The demolition of six UP owned homes, including the Alumni House, across Portsmouth Avenue from the Chiles Center will begin in mid-July and construction of a combined office building and 250 bed dormitory is expected to be completed in time for the beginning of school in late August 2016.  The new building will extend from across the street from the Beauchamp Center on the east down to Willamette Blvd.  No parking is to be added, just the building.  Evil or Very Mad

The students and faculty will at last have access to the brand-new Beauchamp Center beginning August 24th, but if you are a UP Alum, you're going to have to wait.....maybe a very long time.  After a couple of years of use, if it is determined that the BC can accommodate more people, it is possible that memberships will be available to alumni and UP friends.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:19 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Don't expect to find it any easier to park near the UP athletic fields and courts this coming year....

The demolition of six UP owned homes, including the Alumni House, across Portsmouth Avenue from the Chiles Center will begin in mid-July and construction of a combined office building and 250 bed dormitory is expected to be completed in time for the beginning of school in late August 2016.  The new building will extend from across the street from the Beauchamp Center on the east down to Willamette Blvd.  No parking is to be added, just the building.  Evil or Very Mad

The students and faculty will at last have access to the brand-new Beauchamp Center beginning August 24th, but if you are a UP Alum, you're going to have to wait.....maybe a very long time.  After a couple of years of use, if it is determined that the BC can accommodate more people, it is possible that memberships will be available to alumni and UP friends.

Parking in the gravel lot behind the Alumni house was the best kept secret on campus until last year when the BC construction took it up. I guess I will either need to find another secret spot, or upgrade my donation to get a reserved spot.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:25 pm

blacksheep wrote:

Parking in the gravel lot behind the Alumni house was the best kept secret on campus until last year when the BC construction took it up.  I guess I will either need to find another secret spot, or upgrade my donation to get a reserved spot.  

I just park in those spots that say "CSC only". Leave some rosary beads dangling from the rear view mirror.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:33 pm

blacksheep wrote:Parking in the gravel lot behind the Alumni house was the best kept secret on campus until last year when the BC construction took it up.  I guess I will either need to find another secret spot, or upgrade my donation to get a reserved spot.  
Well, I hope you do up the ante on your contribution, but don't do only for the parking.

The reserved spots are OK, but you might as well forget about getting out of the lot in a timely, or even safe manner if there is much of a crowd.  Apparently UP doesn't like to have traffic wardens to direct the traffic so the university won't be liable if the cars start crunching into one another.....but IMO they are greatly needed.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:07 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
blacksheep wrote:

Parking in the gravel lot behind the Alumni house was the best kept secret on campus until last year when the BC construction took it up.  I guess I will either need to find another secret spot, or upgrade my donation to get a reserved spot.  

I just park in those spots that say "CSC only". Leave some rosary beads dangling from the rear view mirror.

Rosary beads or not, I don't think they are going to buy that a csc is rolling around in a lifted pickup with a gun rack in the back window. Twisted Evil
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:54 pm

blacksheep wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:
blacksheep wrote:

Rosary beads or not, I don't think they are going to buy that a csc is rolling around in a lifted pickup with a gun rack in the back window. Twisted Evil

Bunch of new priests transferred in from ND. That's all those Midwesterners drive.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:41 am

It would be great if attendance were such that parking were an actual concern!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:49 pm

It looks as though time at home with mom's cooking has paid off for a relaxed #32, Ray Barreno.....
2015 Offseason - Page 2 32_ray10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:01 pm

PilotNut wrote:Excellent....  I like it.  The text pops with the black, as will the purple seats when rolled out & on TV.  I like the change in color of the wood, too.  
Well done, Athletic Department!!
Geezaldinho wrote:I see the restricted area arc isn't painted.
I wonder if they are going to wait and see if the NCAA changes the restricted area from three to four feet?
Yes, well done, Athletic Department, but not so well done for the folks who put down the final couple of coats on the floor. The sanders have been out working on the floor to get rid of the "numerous imperfection" before the final clear coats go on again, but it would appear the paint is ok.  For now they are just working on the main court, hopefully that is all they will have to work on as it originally took more final coats than the rest of the floor.

It would also appear there are going to be 3 and 4 foot restricted area half circles.  We know the 4 foot is for NCAA men, and I'm assuming the 3 footer is for the women....is there a restricted area for high school ball?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:12 pm

PilotNut wrote:Hartwich needs to be eating constantly... he should always have a bowl of ice cream in front of him!  geek
Philipp has been in Germany playing ball during the first part of the summer....a good time to fatten up on some good old German food, right?  Un ugh!

I saw Philipp on campus this morning as he was ducking under yet another door jam, and commented, "Philipp, you look like you've lost some weight or gotten taller, which is it?"  His answer, "Both!"

He tells me he actually lost about 4.5 Kg, but has grown about 7 cm.  Although it's been awhile since I lived in Europe, I figured that meant he's now down to about 215lbs, but he's now up to about 7-2.....7-3 in shoes.  

I would have invited him to the ice cream store if it were not against NCAA rules, but since it is, I suggested he not leave the Commons except for strength and conditioning and classes between now and mid-November. Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:42 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
PilotNut wrote:Hartwich needs to be eating constantly... he should always have a bowl of ice cream in front of him!  geek
Philipp has been in Germany playing ball during the first part of the summer....a good time to fatten up on some good old German food, right?  Un ugh!

I saw Philipp on campus this morning as he was ducking under yet another door jam, and commented, "Philipp, you look like you've lost some weight or gotten taller, which is it?"  His answer, "Both!"

He tells me he actually lost about 4.5 Kg, but has grown about 7 cm.  Although it's been awhile since I lived in Europe, I figured that meant he's now down to about 215lbs, but he's now up to about 7-2.....7-3 in shoes.  

I would have invited him to the ice cream store if it were not against NCAA rules, but since it is, I suggested he not leave the Commons except for strength and conditioning and classes between now and mid-November. Evil or Very Mad

I was a a scrawny 132 lbs in high school playing tight end/cornerback. The team doctor told my dad to give me a beer or two in the evenings to fatten me up. This was when the drinking age in New York was 18.

Dad didn't take the bait and I stayed 132. Been making up for it ever since.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next