Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Recruiting

+25
lomiton
aleppiek
cjacks14
piloted
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Stonehouse
The Wingman
pilotdad1
pilotram
wrv
Shadrach
Rochin54
terpcard
ExpatPilot
mattywizz
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
29 posters

Page 27 of 32 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next

Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 27 Empty Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue May 16, 2017 3:22 pm

T.J. Campbell won "Newcomer of the Year" along with Foster from Santa Clara a few years back.

Before that, Ryan Jones? I don't even know that name.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue May 16, 2017 3:28 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
The hype surrounding this recruiting class here on this board makes me think we have a few potential "firsts in a long time" on our hands:

• First transfer from a P6 school to UP (Clark) since _________
• First three-star recruit (Shaver) since _________
• First WCC freshman of the year since __________

I would guess that the second one is Kevin Bailey. Not sure about the others.

My guess for #1 is maybe Kevin Fields, who transferred from Oregon State.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 16, 2017 3:29 pm

DD, are you over your skis? Let's see an analysis of all the other schools' new players, before we start handing out awards! I suspect that school up north will have some good new players.
I'm old!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Canaan Chatman and Ray Blume also transferred from Oregon State, but I don't know the timing re the other names.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue May 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Well look at who retweeted this....

2017 Recruiting - Page 27 Img_1810
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue May 16, 2017 4:49 pm

2017 Recruiting - Page 27 4MmjR_s-200x150

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue May 16, 2017 4:55 pm

Daschel is the first to break!

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2017/05/arizona_prep_star_marcus_shave_1.html

A breathtaking recruiting season looks to have come to an end for the Portland Pilots, as the men's basketball team signed Phoenix guard Marcus Shaver to a financial aid agreement Tuesday.

Shaver, a 6-3 all-state guard who led Shadow Mountain (Ariz.) to its third state championship in four years this past winter, is the eighth player the Pilots have signed since November.

Shaver previously signed with UC Santa Barbara, but asked for a release from the school when coach Bob Williams was fired.

Shaver averaged 22.4 points, 2.5 assists and 2.7 steals this season for Shadow Mountain. He is the second player to turn from UC Santa Barbara to the Pilots, as Hawaii prep post Hugh Hogland, a Gauchos verbal commit, signed with Portland in April.

Portland's roster remake includes four players it signed in November, and four this spring.

Since the April signing period started, the Pilots added Pitt transfer Crisshawn Clark, JC shooting guard Josh McSwiggan, Hogland and Shaver.

In November, Portland's signings include: Tahirou Diabate, a 6-10 forward from Japan; Austin Stone, a 6-9 junior college transfer post; JoJo Walker, a 6-1 point guard from Southern California; and Taki Fahrensohn, a 6-5 combo guard from New Zealand.

A UP source says Shaver is likely the last player the Pilots will add to their current roster.

The only players remaining from last year's team are guards D'Marques Tyson and Rashad Jackson, forward Joseph Smoyer and post Philipp Hartwich. Coach Terry Porter's sons, freshman Malcolm Porter and sophomore transfer Franklin Porter, are also back, but did not play last season.

Portland heads into its second year under Porter, the former Portland Trail Blazer guard whose Pilots record this past season was 11-22. Several Pilots asked for transfers, including starters Jazz Johnson and Gabe Taylor. Johnson accepted an offer at Nevada, and Taylor at Cal Baptist.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue May 16, 2017 5:02 pm

2017 Recruiting - Page 27 Giphy

Goal Celebration! PILOTS GOAL! You Can Not Stop Us! We are the U of P! Cheers! Yahoo!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue May 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Looks like the links went down again. Daschel deleted his tweet. Not sure what's happening. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue May 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:Looks like the links went down again. Daschel deleted his tweet. Not sure what's happening. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ha! Probably means that the O jumped the gun and published before the ink was dry on the LOI fax.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue May 16, 2017 5:42 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
Sound Voltex wrote:Looks like the links went down again. Daschel deleted his tweet. Not sure what's happening. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ha! Probably means that the O jumped the gun and published before the ink was dry on the LOI fax.

It wouldn't be the first time that happened...

2017 Recruiting - Page 27 Captur14

Last edited by PilotNut on Tue May 16, 2017 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue May 16, 2017 5:49 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Ha! Probably means that the O jumped the gun and published before the ink was dry on the LOI fax.

Maybe worth noting... the article (before it got taken down) said he signed a scholarship agreement rather than an LOI. Technicality, I suppose, but scholarship agreements do offer a bit more flexibility for the student-athletes. (https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/why-top-ncaa-recruits-shouldnt-sign-national-letters-of-intent)

Given Shaver had to be released from his LOI from UCSB, wouldn't surprise me if he was not as interested in going through the LOI process again.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue May 16, 2017 5:52 pm

I was just typing to ask about the difference between signing an LOI and a financial aid agreement.

I've heard of this before, but I'm not sure what it means. Does it mean he can still go somewhere else?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue May 16, 2017 6:14 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I was just typing to ask about the difference between signing an LOI and a financial aid agreement.

I've heard of this before, but I'm not sure what it means. Does it mean he can still go somewhere else?

I am by no means an expert on this, but I believe that the scholarship agreement is simply an arrangement between the school and student-athlete on things like tuition, room and board, cost of attendance stipends, etc. And they can be for multiple years, rather than the more typical one-year agreement in the LOI. (Which, I would imagine, is one of the major perks of going this route for student-athletes.)

It does also means that a student-athlete can still have contact with other schools up until they actually show up and begin attending classes. However, I believe it is very rare for someone to sign a scholarship agreement and then renege on the deal.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 16, 2017 9:25 pm

up7587 wrote:DD, are you over your skis?  Let's see an analysis of all the other schools' new players, before we start handing out awards!   I suspect that school up north will have some good new players.
I'm old!
Haha, perhaps, but I've met and now watched Diabate in the gym, and I don't know the other guys..
2017 Recruiting - Page 27 Eddie11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 16, 2017 10:00 pm

OK, just don't be this guy.
2017 Recruiting - Page 27 Skijum10

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue May 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Soon.

2017 Recruiting - Page 27 Captur11

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue May 16, 2017 10:31 pm

This is very strange. What is going on? Last minute change of heart? Last minute offer from a higher tier school? Clearly UP gave Daschel the story, it was published, and then very quickly something happened to make it either premature or inaccurate. Whatever is going on, it's making me nervous.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 17, 2017 12:46 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:This is very strange. What is going on? Last minute change of heart? Last minute offer from a higher tier school? Clearly UP gave Daschel the story, it was published, and then very quickly something happened to make it either premature or inaccurate. Whatever is going on, it's making me nervous.
But based upon this:
Dean Murdoch wrote:Well look at who retweeted this....
It would seem TP has some indication Shaver is coming to UP.

But based upon Stonehouse's description of a financial aid agreement:
Stonehouse wrote:It does also means that a student-athlete can still have contact with other schools up until they actually show up and begin attending classes. However, I believe it is very rare for someone to sign a scholarship agreement and then renege on the deal.
It would also seem Shaver has until around June 24, when 2nd Session summer school students move into the dorm, to talk to other schools.

As you wrote, NPN, it is a bit strange, but if you've followed this young man for awhile, you'll note that he has a flair for the dramatic.  I suggest everyone go to bed and then in the morning check his Twitter feed, because just based upon this:
PilotNut wrote:Soon.

I believe Shaver wants to make the announcement he's committed to UP on his twitter thingy....probably with some purple and some pictures because that just seems his style on the very last day of the signing period.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed May 17, 2017 6:44 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
NoPoNeighbor wrote:This is very strange. What is going on? Last minute change of heart? Last minute offer from a higher tier school? Clearly UP gave Daschel the story, it was published, and then very quickly something happened to make it either premature or inaccurate. Whatever is going on, it's making me nervous.
But based upon this:
Dean Murdoch wrote:Well look at who retweeted this....
It would seem TP has some indication Shaver is coming to UP.

But based upon Stonehouse's description of a financial aid agreement:
Stonehouse wrote:It does also means that a student-athlete can still have contact with other schools up until they actually show up and begin attending classes. However, I believe it is very rare for someone to sign a scholarship agreement and then renege on the deal.
It would also seem Shaver has until around June 24, when 2nd Session summer school students move into the dorm, to talk to other schools.

As you wrote, NPN, it is a bit strange, but if you've followed this young man for awhile, you'll note that he has a flair for the dramatic.  I suggest everyone go to bed and then in the morning check his Twitter feed, because just based upon this:
PilotNut wrote:Soon.

I believe Shaver wants to make the announcement he's committed to UP on his twitter thingy....probably with some purple and some pictures because that just seems his style on the very last day of the signing period.

In addition, we should consider that Shaver signed a financial aid agreement during the period he could have signed a National Letter of Intent. No doubt that was Shaver's choice. If Stonehouse is correct, then Shaver has decided to date for a while, until and unless a better looking offer comes along. He may still be hoping for a P5 offer, for instance, until he actually attends summer school.

If Shaver ultimately sets foot in the Chiles Center as a member of the team, I will not be concerned about this less than committed commitment. But if he finds a better looking offer . . .I guess I will rue the waste of good digital space wondering what exactly is in his heart, even if it becomes stuff of a strange sort of legend in Pilot lore.

One cannot know with certainty, but I assume the U has Shaver's financial aid agreement in hand and he has asked that it not be publicized else why would someone with ties to the program give the information to Daschel--Daschel clearly would not have printed without an initial go from the program.

This is the most interesting of years recruiting wise: from the HoopScoop assessment of the entire 7 of the class, to a star from high school in Japan, a New Zealand player, to a choice because a girlfriend will matriculate nearby, to a consideration of which prospect had a "Kramer" like haircut and to this.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed May 17, 2017 7:56 am

And we're back!

WELCOME MARCUS SHAVER!

2017 Recruiting - Page 27 Captur15

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 17, 2017 8:15 am

Was there ever a doubt? Shocked

Welcome, Marcus!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Wed May 17, 2017 8:16 am

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:2017 Recruiting - Page 27 Giphy

Goal Celebration! PILOTS GOAL! You Can Not Stop Us! We are the U of P! Cheers! Yahoo!

For real this time?

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed May 17, 2017 8:26 am

Now that sounds like a commitment.

Go Pilots. Mr. Daschel repost the article: our recruiting this year is "breathtaking.'

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 17, 2017 8:36 am

Stonehouse wrote:Ooooooh! Can't wait to officially update the scholarship chart thingy!
Time to get busy, Stoney. cheers

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 32 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next