Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Recruiting

+25
lomiton
aleppiek
cjacks14
piloted
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Stonehouse
The Wingman
pilotdad1
pilotram
wrv
Shadrach
Rochin54
terpcard
ExpatPilot
mattywizz
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
29 posters

Page 15 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 32  Next

Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 15 Empty Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:50 pm

wrv wrote:At some point in high school Deante was suspended from basketball for grade issues, I believe.

Whether grades remain an issue I am unaware.
I haven't gotten the impression his grades are a problem, I believe it's more of a height thing....5-9 in sneakers.

Yes, I know their are successful point guards under 6 feet tall, but WCC coaches know their point guards have to compete against the likes of Goss-Williams and others like him.

I believe the coaches are zeroing-in on one specific point guard, and now it's just a matter of finding a sunny weekend for him to come to Portland for a visit.... Suspect
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:30 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I believe the coaches are zeroing-in on one specific point guard, and now it's just a matter of finding a sunny weekend for him to come to Portland for a visit.... Suspect

Based on available information, that's presumably Ty Cockfield. The only PG that's been targeted in recent weeks and we know the staff was in attendance for Georgia Highlands' last game.

And with Cockfield's other known offers being from UT Martin, Eastern Michigan, and Florida A&M you'd think the Pilots would have as good a shot at any to get him. Would obviously be a badly needed addition to next year's team.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:24 am

While we're waiting around and playing the guessing game for spring recruiting, here's a snippet of the library of Japanese high school basketball games on YouTube featuring one verified recruit, our Japanese/Mali pal Diabate. Cause I have way too much free time on my hands.

This the YT query I used if you want to find other clips. (It's just his high school name in native Japanese so you'll see other sports as well)

Highlights from the Niigata (not Niigate) prefecture finals that sent his HS Teikyo Nagaoka to the Winter Cup (not Okinawa Cup, unless UP mixed it up with another tournament), one of Japan's top national tournaments (apparently there's more than one, TIL).

They had been narrowly ousted by their opponent 5 months before in the Niigata prefecture finals qualifier for Interhigh (another national tournament.). These are the full video from that game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqI7akirGaY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMc2TBs5NR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muRRx2pOfKA

Winter Cup 2nd round
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88LysQFuqx0

Winter Cup 3rd round
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzfLiWZXy6s

Winter Cup Quarterfinals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjdtK42P5a0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4CaSlg22vE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xz2WYAF2Sc

Winter Cup Semifinals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JA2zvYTe4E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE2gfAh6j38

Winter Cup 3rd place match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvgvjykTPfI

Lastly, from an article (run via Google Translate and English-ified better by me) regarding his reasons for choosing Portland.

"The reason I decided to go to Portland is that they gave me a wonderful opportunity to study and I can play basketball, but the biggest reason is the opportunity to study. I want to study business which I'm really interested in. When I graduate from college I'll return to my country (Mali) and I'd like to work for a transportation related company company that my family runs."

Speaking of University of Portland, of which Alvark Tokyo point guard Taishi Ito graduated from, former Blazers and head coach Terry Porter has a proven track record in which he was selected as an All Star in 1991 and 1993.

"I am very excited, it was really amazing as a player and he is a nice coach," Tahirou seems like he can't wait until next fall. Another possible reason is because Gonzaga's Rui Hachimura is in the West Coast Conference, which Portland also belongs to. These two schools play each other at home in the regular season, and if they face off in the conference tournament, they play for a third time.

"It's really amazing and I'm looking forward to it, it's the same division (actually a conference) so I can play with him again and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope everyone in Japan will support me and Rui. We are both from Japan (heading to the USA) and he is also involved in Africa as well as I am. I have not talked with Rui yet, but I will do it when I go to the United States."

I looked up Taishi Ito, and apparently he's the 2nd full Japanese NCAA DI player ever...played here from 2006-2010...wow another TIL. The Japanese wikipedia article said they relayed a January 2007 game vs Gonzaga from ESPN to Japan.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:42 pm

Portland Tribune dropping some hints here on possible spring recruits...

The Pilots could add three more players during the April 12 late signing date. Porter is after a post player, a big win player and a combination guard. They'll all take visits to The Bluff — two of them next weekend.

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/351664-231297-best-ducks-day-ever
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:29 am

SoundVoltex wrote:Portland Tribune dropping some hints here on possible spring recruits...

The Pilots could add three more players during the April 12 late signing date. Porter is after a post player, a big win player and a combination guard. They'll all take visits to The Bluff — two of them next weekend.

Thanks for the post and the prior one, though I do not intend to watch lengthy film on our commit Diabate. Interesting notes about the signed players and the revelation that we have at least two prospective student athletes visiting this coming weekend. You might wonder why these visits are occurring so late in the process, but two considerations are evident: first, these young men are likely JC players who have only recently completed their seasons and secondly, Porter no doubt hopes there will be a break in this unrelenting rain by this weekend.

Can anyone name any of the visitors for this weekend?

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:46 am

SoundVoltex wrote:Portland Tribune dropping some hints here on possible spring recruits...

From the article:
Walker averaged 23.4 points and 7.7 assists as a prep senior. He should be in the mix to start right away at point guard.
Ya think? Based on the description of the additional players, Walker will be the only PG on the team.  Hopefully Coach is grooming his son in the position.

Last edited by up7587 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:21 am

Haha, yeah aren't all the schools looking for a "big win player!" Just guessing, but do you suppose the article meant to say, Porter is looking for a post (5), a good size wing (2/3/4) and someone who is primarily a point guard (1), but who can also play the 2?  Considering the Pilots needs, that would seem more reasonable.

Doubt the the recruits will come in this weekend as the article implies as they would find the basketball office empty and they would also be contravening the NCAA recruiting "Dead Period" of Friday March 30 through Thursday April 6 at noon.....it's Final Four weekend!

It's probably more reasonable to expect there'll be 3 visitors on campus April 7-9.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:38 am

Thanks for the updates, SoundVoltex.

I took "big win player" at face value and assumed they were talking about Cockfield. I figured 32-2 at Georgia Highlands would certainly qualify him as that!

But yeah, DD's translation would make more sense.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:18 pm

@JucoRecruiting wrote:Delfincko Bogan (5'10, G, 2017) of Moberly Area has committed to UT-Martin

Relevant because UT Martin was one of the schools that had an offer out to Ty Cockfield. Assuming that leaves Eastern Michigan, Florida A&M, and Portland as possible landing spots for Ty.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Casper point guard Deante Strickland (16 ppg), a Portland Central Catholic grad, may have led the team in scoring this year and started 32 games, but he has apparently not received much interest from UP.
From his new mixer tape it would appear Strickland never misses a shot, never passes the ball, and never plays defense.....but hey, if you shoot 100%... Razz

You'll notice a little bit of former Pilot Colin Russell (21) and possible UP recruit Josh McSwiggan (0) on the tape too.  But it's really too bad they never got the Wyoming ice of the lens of the camera....it's not clear at all.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:39 pm

wrv wrote:Hope the offer to Freeman does not suggest that we are unlikely to obtain commitments from the other JUCO forwards listed previously.
That is the situation with Jeromy Rodriguez, wrv...neither he or Freeman will be coming to UP....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:41 pm

About a week later than expected, but ICYMI here's the Spring Update from Coach Porter.

Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:31 pm

SoundVoltex wrote:About a week later than expected, but ICYMI here's the Spring Update from Coach Porter.
As speculated here, TP acknowledges he is looking to sign some JUCO recruits, including an experienced point guard to run the show next year with JoJo and Malcolm as the backup freshmen point guards.

As Deaner has mentioned a couple of times, Ty Cockfield from Georgia Highlands appears to be the man they have in their sights for point guard, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Josh McSwiggan from Casper College signed as a wing.

All just wishful thinking at this point.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:23 am

@mgiannotto wrote:Another FYI: 6-8 F Kyvon Davenport (No. 19 on JuCo top 100) said he's considering Memphis, Iona, ETSU, Arkansas St & Arkansas-Little Rock.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:43 pm

@JucoRecruiting wrote:University of Portland transfer Chier Maker (6'7, F) is headed to Palm Beach State. Will be heavily sought after Forward next year

Chier's landing spot has been confirmed. He's off to Palm Beach State, the school that Jarrel Marshall came from.

Also saw this when I checked the @JucoRecruiting twitter. Makol Mawien was offered at some point by the Pilots, can't remember if he was a Reveno-era offer or a Porter-era offer.

@JucoRecruiting wrote:Makol Mawien (6'9, F, 2017) of New Mexico JC has three Official visits set up for next 3 weekends: St Bonaventure, Iona, and Kansas State
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:03 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
@JucoRecruiting wrote:University of Portland transfer Chier Maker (6'7, F) is headed to Palm Beach State. Will be heavily sought after Forward next year
Chier's landing spot has been confirmed. He's off to Palm Beach State, the school that Jarrel Marshall came from.
Spent time with Alec M., Chier, and Xavier today....all are excited about the next chapter in their lives.

Alec tells me he'll be heading to either Snow or Salt Lake Community College, and both he and Chier will begin the recruiting process all over again...both expecting to get back to D1 ball after a year at a JUCO.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:41 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Also saw this when I checked the @JucoRecruiting twitter. Makol Mawien was offered at some point by the Pilots, can't remember if he was a Reveno-era offer or a Porter-era offer.
@JucoRecruiting wrote:Makol Mawien (6'9, F, 2017) of New Mexico JC has three Official visits set up for next 3 weekends: St Bonaventure, Iona, and Kansas State
Mawien, who redshirted a year at Utah before transferring to New Mexico JC, was recruited by Coach Porter's staff beginning this past fall.

Before committing to Utah, he was recruited by GU and BYU in addition to a number of other schools.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:24 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I believe the coaches are zeroing-in on one specific point guard, and now it's just a matter of finding a sunny weekend for him to come to Portland for a visit.... Suspect

Based on available information, that's presumably Ty Cockfield. The only PG that's been targeted in recent weeks and we know the staff was in attendance for Georgia Highlands' last game.
JucoReport.com is reporting Ty Cockfield "will visit Portland next weekend."

The long range forecast is predicting rain.... Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:25 am

Perhaps we have the inside track on Cockfield as suggested by Coach Cantu and that he is close to committing.

Is it possible that a second visitor is coming and that it is Josh McSwiggan? If so, perhaps they are bringing in the two prospective student athletes most likely to commit.

According to the Tribune article we are anticipating signing at least 3 this spring, so, we may have a big we are pursuing.

What of bigs? Markol Mawein apparently no longer is considering the Pilots. Do we know of any offers made?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:38 am

Pilots might have the inside track on Cockfield but looks like Long Beach State wants in on the race too!

@JucoRecruiting wrote:Long Beach State has offered Ty Cockfield (6'1, CG, 2017) of Georgia Highlands
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:37 am

Note to Porter and staff: admittedly what is set out below about Geno West is written by a sports writer, but one I will speculate watched more Oregon high school ball than you and staff and who certainly watched enough Oregon high school ball to hold an informed opinion.

GENO WEST, JEFFERSON
6-2 senior guard
There seems to be plenty of debate as to whether West can play Division I college point guard, or is tall enough to play shooting guard. This isn’t debatable: West is one heck of a high school player. Throughout the season, West seamlessly ran Jefferson’s offense, and was often sensational in running the fast break. One of two contenders for 6A player of the year.  

And:

PLAYER OF THE YEAR: GENO WEST, JEFFERSON
It's practically a coin flip between West and Clackamas' Elijah Gonzales for best in state for 2016-17. But as some coaches might say, when it's tight, go with the best player on the best team. That was West.

Link: http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/04/nick_daschels_oregon_all-class_1.html#incart_river_index

If West remains available, should we offer, particularly if Ty Cockfield does not choose the Pilots?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:34 am

wrv wrote:If West remains available, should we offer, particularly if Ty Cockfield does not choose the Pilots?

I haven't seen West play. But I would imagine that if the Pilots don't get Cockfield, the focus would shift to another JUCO PG rather than go into the year with three freshmen as the options at point. Deante Strickland from Casper and Deishuan Booker from Southern Idaho are the only other PGs listed on the JUCO top 100 that play in the region.

Still four scholarships open. Nothing saying the Pilots couldn't get a PG, a wing, a big, AND have one left over for West? Maybe they're waiting to see how it all shakes out.

Edit: And speaking of Cockfield, looks like South Florida is in on both him and Davenport now.
@JucoRecruiting wrote:South Florida has offered 6'8 F Kyvon Davenport & 6'1 G Ty Cockfield of Georgia Highlands
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:39 am

wrv wrote:If West remains available, should we offer, particularly if Ty Cockfield does not choose the Pilots?
First, good digging wrv, excellent rundown of Oregon preps from our friend Nick Daschel.

The entire UP staff watched West in the Chiles Center during the tournament, and I'm quite sure they'd like to start a Jefferson HS pipeline to UP, but I don't think they consider West a WCC point guard. They probably look at him as more of a shooting guard, and UP currently has an abundance of players at that position.

Cockfield was kind of secret for awhile, and I think he's still interested in learning the PG position from Coach Porter, but now that he's getting a bunch of offers closer to his home, and some of those offers include offers to Davenport, his JUCO and high school teammate, it's likely it could be a tough sell on a rainy weekend in Portland.  Cockfield reminds me a lot of my favorite UP point guard, TJ Campbell, and I would love to see him at UP, but he really doesn't have a time limit on when he has to sign, so it could be quite awhile before we know where he's going.

IMO Vancouver/Portland native Strickland at Casper is a better choice than West at point guard, but for some reason he is not getting near the interest that Booker at Southern Idaho is getting. Strickland has had a number of schools in to look at him, but with the exception of Stony Brook and possibly CSUN, no other school has publically offered him.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Another offer for Ty Cockfield...

@JucoRecruiting wrote:Ty Cockfield (6'1, G, 2017) of Georgia Highlands has been offered by Jacksonville State
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:09 am

And another one. It's going to be a battle to get this guy.

@JucoRecruiting wrote:Ty Cockfield (6'1, CG, 2017) of Georgia Highlands has been offered by Eastern Kentucky
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 32  Next