Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Recruiting

+25
lomiton
aleppiek
cjacks14
piloted
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
blacksheep
Rob's Jacket
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Stonehouse
The Wingman
pilotdad1
pilotram
wrv
Shadrach
Rochin54
terpcard
ExpatPilot
mattywizz
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
29 posters

Page 14 of 32 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23 ... 32  Next

Go down

2017 Recruiting - Page 14 Empty Re: 2017 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:08 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Excellent comments, NPN.  Thank you for putting into words what so many of us are thinking!

Regarding your players by positions matrix: I think everyone learned this season that Jazz is a much better SG than PG, as having him at the SG allows him to create and score.  Probably don't need to change his position on your matrix, but unless UP cannot sign another PG in addition to JoJo, I don't think we'll see him playing there except in an emergency.
From what I am learning, not being the designated Pilots point guard is at the center of why Jazz chose to transfer.

If Jazz were a better point guard than Xavier, and had his (and Andre's) audition at point guard been better than Xavier's, Xavier would not have started there the last seven games of the season...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11267
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:47 am

Regardless of the reason, losing Jazz Johnson is a blow to an already beleaguered program.

I commend Porter for his honesty. It is not surprising that the little talent we have is looking for the door, even if the reasons are broader than what is being revealed publicly.

Attracting talent to the program will be difficult, but I am hoping Porter is the coach to do it.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:35 am

DoubleDipper wrote:From what I am learning, not being the designated Pilots point guard is at the center of why Jazz chose to transfer.

Given the timing, this would likely make more sense as opposed to competitive reasons. If Jazz just wanted a better chance to win, it would seem like he would at least wait to see how the staff fills the three (now four) open scholarships before looking at options.

It's rare that I fault a kid for transferring and this is no different. You only get four years to play college hoops and if you think there's a better fit elsewhere, go for it. Jazz will have a very good chance to play professionally for a long time after his NCAA career is over, and at 5-10 he probably feels he'll have a better opportunity with experience at the point. He was a great player to watch for two years with the Pilots and hopefully he can find that opportunity somewhere.

I'm losing track now...is that five scholarship players returning, four signed, no current commits, and four open scholarships?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:20 am

Best of luck to Jazz...  I admit this one is a bit of a head scratcher.  Dean makes a good point about getting experience at the point, though.

The coaching staff has made no qualms about needing to attract higher levels of talent to the program... and so far they seem to have been able to do so.  Remember that Porter's first  incoming class has received high praise so far, more so than any of Rev's classes... so I am optimistic that they will be able to land a few more quality players to fill the remaining openings.  The ability to compete for a starting spot right away, play in the PK80 tourney and play for Porter all have to be compelling selling points for this staff.

Maybe another JUCO, or Senior looking to transfer so as to minimize the pitfalls of unbalanced classes.  Not that we have ever experienced that...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:53 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:I'm losing track now...is that five scholarship players returning, four signed, no current commits, and four open scholarships?
Yup, that's correct...assuming the staff decides to keep one or both Porters on walk-on status.

If Franklin continues to walk-on, and Malcolm walks-on next season as we expect, the Pilots will have 15 players...meaning UP could easily accommodate a couple of redshirts next season....either transfers or players who need another year of maturity.

I don't think there's any doubt the staff is looking at JUCO transfers, and with the NJCAA D1 Men's Basketball Championship going on March 20-25 in Hutchinson, Kansas, you can bet the entire staff will have been there at one point.  Georgia Highlands, where Ty Cockfield and Kyvon Davenport go to school, is the #3 seed in a 24 team field, and they do not begin play until tomorrow.  To win the championship they will have to win 4 games in 4 days.  The other JUCO that I know about, Josh McSwiggan from Casper College, is done for the season and should be making his decision known soon.  

Unlike the short 7 day early signing period in November, the NLI period in the spring runs for 5 weeks beginning April 12.  Once UP officially announces the 4 scholarship transfers from the team (remember, so far there has been nothing from the university regarding anyone transferring), I think we'll see at least one or two names pop-up if someone outside UP mentions them on social media....usually the player or a JUCO/AAU/high school coach.

JoJo being the only point guard currently signed (Malcolm can also play the 1), I think his mentor or a backup has got to be a recruiting priority.  Three point guards is usually optimum....and as JoJo and Malcolm will be freshman, I'd guess the staff is zeroing in on a JUCO or a transfer as the 3rd point guard.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Beacon has an article about Johnson and Ferguson.

http://www.upbeacon.com/article/2017/03/johnson-and-ferguson-will-not-return-to-mens-basketball-team-for-2017-season

EDIT: Oregonian also has an article.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2017/03/portland_pilots_lose_jazz_john.html
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:50 pm

Verbal Commits reporting X has verbally committed to DII Cal State Dominguez Hills Toros.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:10 pm

SoundVoltex wrote:Verbal Commits reporting X has verbally committed to DII Cal State Dominguez Hills Toros.
It came down to choosing between Cal State LA and Cal State Dominguez Hills...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Kansas State transfer, and current student at Northwest Florida State College (JUCO), Ron Freeman, has reportedly been offered by UP....he'll have two years of eligibility.

Freeman is a 6-6/185 shooting guard from Inglewood, CA...
JuliusVElite wrote: Sophomore Ron Freeman 6'6 SG Northwest Florida CC has received an offer from Portland. He was at Kansas St. out of HS  
Not a starter at Northwest Florida, Freeman's stats are not particularly impressive, but if he has actually been offered, the coaches must see some real potential they like.

Freeman did not play in #8 NWF's win last night in the D1 JUCO Tournament in Hutchinson.... scratch
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Kansas State transfer, and current student at Northwest Florida State College (JUCO), Ron Freeman, has reportedly been offered by UP....he'll have two years of eligibility.

Not a starter at Northwest Florida, Freeman's stats are not particularly impressive, but if he has actually been offered, the coaches must see some real potential they like.

Freeman did not play in #8 NWF's win last night in the D1 JUCO Tournament in Hutchinson.... scratch

Hope the offer to Freeman does not suggest that we are unlikely to obtain commitments from the other JUCO forwards listed previously.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Freeman has also been offered by Long Beach State, Memphis, and New Mexico in the last 48 hours. So the Pilots certainly not the only ones who see the potential in this guy. wrv, I know nothing of him but I do see that he's listed as a SG so not sure that would affect McSwiggan or Davenport.

Georgia Highlands update - they're done after a 70-69 loss to Motlow State.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:13 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Freeman has also been offered by Long Beach State, Memphis, and New Mexico in the last 48 hours. So the Pilots certainly not the only ones who see the potential in this guy. wrv, I know nothing of him but I do see that he's listed as a SG so not sure that would affect McSwiggan or Davenport.

Georgia Highlands update - they're done after a 70-69 loss to Motlow State.
#14 Motlow, that played yesterday, was not supposed to beat #3 Georgia Highlands coming off a bye...

I've seen these words to describe Freeman:
One of the best JUCO Wings in the country! and, Ron Freeman athletic & can shoot it. High energy!!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Maybe we can get another Porter and son. Although it seems the dad has already committed...and we don't have any free coaching spots at the moment. http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/michael-porter-jr-nations-no-1-recruit-asks-washington-for-release/ar-BByBzgk?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:55 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I don't think there's any doubt the staff is looking at JUCO transfers, and with the NJCAA D1 Men's Basketball Championship going on March 20-25 in Hutchinson, Kansas, you can bet the entire staff will have been there at one point.
This picture of 10 D1 coaches was taken in Hutchinson on Tuesday while Georgia Highlands practiced.....30% are UP coaches, not sure where Kramer was at the time.  What a life! Rolling Eyes

2017 Recruiting - Page 14 Georgi10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:39 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Freeman has also been offered by Long Beach State, Memphis, and New Mexico in the last 48 hours. So the Pilots certainly not the only ones who see the potential in this guy. wrv, I know nothing of him but I do see that he's listed as a SG so not sure that would affect McSwiggan or Davenport.
Just now learned that Coach Cantu recruited Freeman to UTEP before he committed to Kansas St, and that Freeman was considered a 3-star/Top-50 athlete out of high school.

EDIT: His #8 Northwest Florida team is leading #1 San Jacinto 46-32 at the half....don't know if Freeman is playing.

UPDATE: NWF beats the #1 seed, 98-82 in the quarterfinals.  Freeman scores 8 in 10 minutes (2-2 3PT), but also commits 4 fouls..... Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:37 pm

https://twitter.com/GASObrackets/status/844975597172482048

One of Ron Freeman's threes from today. His lack of reaction tells me he's likely hit one or two of these before Cool

Edit: Looks like Pacific offered him today as well.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:31 pm

It is not at all clear whether the offers we are making are realistic. Let's hope there are players to fill in for the transfers even if we miss on the highly regarded, which make for good press but not necessarily good recruiting.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:21 pm

When you're finger is clearly on the reset button as it is at this point and you can point to at least one source that says your fall class is 17th I think that would have to give you some sway with some of the better recruits out there. Hey look we didn't win a ton of games, but we're bringing in other highly rated guys you'll be playing with and we're turning this boat around.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:20 am

With Jazz Johnson departing for what he hopes are greener pastures, and with so many spots to fill, it might be time to consider extending an offer to local player, Jefferson's Geno West.

We are within two weeks of the NLI signing period and we do not have a commitment this spring for multiple spots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:09 am

At breakfast this morning my Casper College friend tells me Josh McSwiggan (14 ppg) has been offered by the Pilots, and is "seriously" considering UP, but has not made up his mind.  He also mentioned that McSwiggan's girlfriend is planning to enroll at Concordia-Portland to play WBB.

Also, former Pilot, Casper center Colin Russell (9 ppg), is leaning toward committing to Northern Arizona and is on an official visit to Flagstaff this weekend.

Casper point guard Deante Strickland (16 ppg), a Portland Central Catholic grad, may have led the team in scoring this year and started 32 games, but he has apparently not received much interest from UP.

Finally, current Jefferson player, Geno West, is being recruited to play at Casper if he doesn't land a "decent" D1 offer.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:56 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:At breakfast this morning my Casper College friend tells me Josh McSwiggan (14 ppg) has been offered by the Pilots, and is "seriously" considering UP, but has not made up his mind.  He also mentioned that McSwiggan's girlfriend is planning to enroll at Concordia-Portland to play WBB.

Also, former Pilot, Casper center Colin Russell (9 ppg), is leaning toward committing to Northern Arizona and is on an official visit to Flagstaff this weekend.

Casper point guard Deante Strickland (16 ppg), a Portland Central Catholic grad, may have led the team in scoring this year and started 32 games, but he has apparently not received much interest from UP.

Finally, current Jefferson player, Geno West, is being recruited to play at Casper if he doesn't land a "decent" D1 offer.

All interesting news. McSwiggan appears to be ready to contribute immediately. And, “ ‘seriously' considering" the Pilots is a relief to hear.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:07 pm

wrv wrote:All interesting news. McSwiggan appears to be ready to contribute immediately. And, “ ‘seriously' considering" the Pilots is a relief to hear.
The "not sure" part of "seriously considering" is playing time.  Not knowing who else the UP staff might recruit, there is always uncertainty that a recruit might pass up a starting position at another school to sit on the bench at UP....not something any player wants to do....especially at UP.

Besides not being the designated point guard next year, I've been told Jazz is leaving because he was told he'd see "less" playing time next year because of the anticipated quality of the recruits that are being brought in.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:19 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I've been told Jazz is leaving because he was told he'd see "less" playing time next year because of the anticipated quality of the recruits that are being brought in.

That's a good sign, right?

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:27 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Casper point guard Deante Strickland (16 ppg), a Portland Central Catholic grad, may have led the team in scoring this year and started 32 games, but he has apparently not received much interest from UP.
JucoRecruiting.com's Top 100 Player Rankings just ranked Strickland at #78 overall and the #9 point guard in the country. (Four of the point guards ranked above Strickland have already committed to other schools).  The only known UP recruit on the list is Kyvon Davenport at #19 overall, and the #3 power forward.

JucoRecuiting.com bases their rankings on a player's production at the JC level and potential at the next level.

IMO, it would be nice to add an experienced point guard from Central Catholic to the team....the Pilots have had a CC PG on the roster since David Carr's freshman year, 2011-12.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:33 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Casper point guard Deante Strickland (16 ppg), a Portland Central Catholic grad, may have led the team in scoring this year and started 32 games, but he has apparently not received much interest from UP.
JucoRecruiting.com's Top 100 Player Rankings just ranked Strickland at #78 overall and the #9 point guard in the country. (Four of the point guards ranked above Strickland have already committed to other schools).  The only known UP recruit on the list is Kyvon Davenport at #19 overall, and the #3 power forward.

JucoRecuiting.com bases their rankings on a player's production at the JC level and potential at the next level.

IMO, it would be nice to add an experienced point guard from Central Catholic to the team....the Pilots have had a CC PG on the roster since David Carr's freshman year, 2011-12.

At some point in high school Deante was suspended from basketball for grade issues, I believe.

Whether grades remain an issue I am unaware.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 32 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23 ... 32  Next