Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 Recruiting

+16
mikemac65
SoCalPilot
Dean Murdoch
blacksheep
pilotram
ekrauss
joshhorton
oldtimer
Geezaldinho
wrv
PurplePrideTrumpet
NoPoNeighbor
PilotNut
Rob's Jacket
DTLegend
DoubleDipper
20 posters

Page 19 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

2015 Recruiting - Page 19 Empty Re: 2015 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:19 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Still throwing spit balls, I've also heard an unconfirmed report that a very skilled 6-11/245 high school senior in England that a member of the staff may have seen last year has backed out of his verbal commitment (not NLI) to a D1 school on the east coast after a wholesale change of the coaching staff there.  This might be a good one to keep an eye on!
Still no confirmation from any of the quasi-official recruiting services (Verbal Commits is still showing him verbally committed to another school), but the school's equivalent of PN (the most relied upon source of accurate information Razz ) is reporting the big guy has either withdrawn his verbal commitment or the new staff is not welcoming him.

If he's available and UP knows him, I hope they go after him over a JC transfer.....but by doing so, next season's team will be really young with two freshmen and a sophomore in the post.

I'm reluctant to mention his name until I learn something substantive....but I will say he's no Domantas Sabonis, yet.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:53 pm

wrv wrote:Well at this point I would rather have Clark Clifford, who advised several presidents, join the Pilots, than our friend Connor Clifford
Connor has reportedly narrowed his list to WSU and USC (South Carolina).

From what I've heard of his game and personality, I'm surprised he's considering Pullman as a destination.  

Having once lived in South Carolina, from a destination standpoint I think it is a much better choice....I have no idea how the two basketball programs compare....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:34 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Still throwing spit balls, I've also heard an unconfirmed report that a very skilled 6-11/245 high school senior in England that a member of the staff may have seen last year has backed out of his verbal commitment...
With less than 24 hours to go before NLI signings begin, I’ve finally corresponded with a member of 49ersNation.net, the University of North Carolina Charlotte fan site.

I was told the new coach at UNCC stated that Karolis Kundrotas, a verbal commit to UNCC a couple of months ago, would not fit into the team’s future plans.  Whether that is exactly accurate doesn’t matter, as Kundrotas has now reopened his recruiting and would like to play in the States.

In his highlight video I like his foot work, his ability to use the backboard, and his ability to stretch the defense with his outside shooting.  But face it, everyone shoots 100% in these highlight tapes.

Kundrotas is Lithuanian, but moved to England 9 years ago at the age of 10 and is now attending Barking Abbey Basketball Academy.

In the video (from the 2013-14 season) it’s hard to say if he’s a banger, but he’s got the size for it at 6-10 or 6-11/245. It’s also hard to say how he’d perform against WCC competition or whether he’d need too long to develop, but to me he looks worth UP’s investment….if he's still available and the staff is interested.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:55 am

Nice video, nice player. Other than his size and agility, is there any reason to believe the Pilots are in fact recruiting him?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:24 am

wrv wrote:Nice video, nice player. Other than his size and agility, is there any reason to believe the Pilots are in fact recruiting him?
Um, no not really, but I recall an online article (that I can no longer find) that mentioned a number of universities that had watched Kundrotas play....and UP was among the five or so that were mentioned.  I remember him because of his initials...KK.  The same initials as another player in England, Kramer Knutson... tongue

Remember, UP had at least one staff member in Europe last summer.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:
@BonnevilleHoops wrote:Things heating up for @tellydav3 Telly Davenport.  3 official offers Portland, UVU, and Stetson(FL).@UtahProspects #Bigtimesteal" #idpreps
With just a few hours left until 2015 recruits can sign, Davenport has picked up an offer from UNC-Asheville.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:40 pm

So, is there like a fax machine and a fixed camera we can watch to see the NLIs come in?

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:23 pm

4/15/15 Eastern time?  Pacific Time?  It is the 15th in Europe now...  could a Euro recruit sign now?  scratch

NoPoNeighbor, you are probably the closest...  could you go hang out in the Chiles offices for a while?  Thanks.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:44 pm

Malik Fitts is reporting he received an offer from Lafayette within the last couple of hours.

Not sure what's allowed or not allowed during the "dead period," but obviously offers are okay.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:07 am

If Jarrell Marshall’s LOI or NLI or what-ya-ma-call-it letter comes across the fax transom we will have had a good day. All else is gravy and secondary.

Last year’s surprise on signing day was Phillip Hartwich, an athletic true seven footer. We should be so lucky as to land a player of his caliber this time.

It occurs to me that it has been a very long time, like never before, since the Pilots have had a true seven footer, no 6’11” impostors please, play meaningful minutes. Phillip may well be the first . . .

Pilot historians please confirm.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:20 pm

@brettvito wrote:MGB: New Mexico JC center Ray Barreno to visit UNT this weekend: http://share.d-news.co/6xUjWzj

Barreno will visit North Texas…and in the article, it mentions that he's already visited UP.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Jarrel's NLI is in.  Welcome to UP! 

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2015/4/15/MBB_0415154352.aspx

p.s.  since Rev made the official announcement, I suspect there will be no other NLIs coming today.

Last edited by up7587 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : p.s.)

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:53 pm

wrv wrote:If Jarrell Marshall’s LOI or NLI or what-ya-ma-call-it letter comes across the fax transom we will have had a good day. All else is gravy and secondary.

Last year’s surprise on signing day was Phillip Hartwich, an athletic true seven footer. We should be so lucky as to land a player of his caliber this time.

It occurs to me that it has been a very long time, like never before, since the Pilots have had a true seven footer, no 6’11” impostors please, play meaningful minutes. Phillip may well be the first . . .

I was gonna say Oregon State transfer Kevin Field (last played in 2007), but the website lists him at only 6-11.  But man he seemed huge.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:38 pm

wrv wrote:It occurs to me that it has been a very long time, like never before, since the Pilots have had a true seven footer, no 6’11” impostors please, play meaningful minutes. Phillip may well be the first . . .

Did he play meaningful minutes? No!  Did he play any minutes at all? No!

But did he sign with the Pilots and go to summer school and train with the Pilots before their 2008 trip to Australia?  Absolutely!

When John Haggerty arrived at UP he was 7-1/365ish, and it was thought he would flourish under Coach Reveno's tutelage, but John was a bit of a goof-off who was adverse to hard work and conditioning.  And it turns out he really didn't like to fly long distances either.  So on the eve of the Pilots trip to Australia, John headed east and went home to Massachusetts, or one of those other states in New England.   Rolling Eyes

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080524/SPORTS/805240346
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:05 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:
@brettvito wrote:MGB: New Mexico JC center Ray Barreno to visit UNT this weekend: http://share.d-news.co/6xUjWzj

Barreno will visit North Texas…and in the article, it mentions that he's already visited UP.
It is interesting how many JC recruits are just now taking their visits....one of Barreno's teammates and a number of others have visits schedule with more than one D1 school over the next couple of weeks.

It can't be easy for a coaching staff to wait on a student-athlete's decision while watching other potential recruits disappear off the board while they are waiting.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:25 pm

Great news on Marshall! Basketball

I need to get this in writing to remember where we stand. Next year's scholarship players would consist of the following so far:

Freshmen (3): Jazz Johnson, Chiir Maker, Colin Russell
Sophmores (4): D'Marques Tyson, Jason Todd, Philipp Hartwich, Gabe Taylor
Juniors (2): Alec Wintering, Jarrel Marshall
Seniors (1 or 2): Bryce Pressley, Max Livingston?

That leaves 2 or 3 slots to fill....

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:04 pm

PilotNut wrote:Great news on Marshall!  Basketball

I need to get this in writing to remember where we stand.  Next year's scholarship players would consist of the following so far:

Freshmen (3): Jazz Johnson, Chiir Maker, Colin Russell
Sophmores (4): D'Marques Tyson, Jason Todd, Philipp Hartwich, Gabe Taylor
Juniors (2): Alec Wintering, Jarrel Marshall
Seniors (1 or 2): Bryce Pressley, Max Livingston?!!!

That leaves 2 or 3 slots to fill....  
UYP

Just so there's no confusion, Jarrel pronounces his name, JaRell
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:11 pm

Coaches' comments:
@CoachReveno wrote:Exciting addition to current roster and fall signees. 2015-16 Pilots coming together nicely!
@CoachMikeWolf wrote:Excited to welcome @_rellyrel_ to the @PilotHoops family. Special talent, even more special person! http://bit.ly/1CLL2hQ  #pilotstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Seems that next year's team will get the vast majority of its scoring from guards and wings. Even if we get Barreno, he doesn't seem to be much of a scoring threat.

That Lithuanian center, on the other hand, looks like he can flat out play!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:20 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:It is interesting how many JC recruits are just now taking their visits....one of Barreno's teammates and a number of others have visits schedule with more than one D1 school over the next couple of weeks.

It can't be easy for a coaching staff to wait on a student-athlete's decision while watching other potential recruits disappear off the board while they are waiting.
As anxious as many of us might be about waiting for the names of the final two additions to next season's team, the delay might be a good sign the staff is just waiting for all the pieces to fall into place.

If UP can find just one grad student, transfer, JUCO, or even high school player that can really make a difference, then it's worth the wait....and it's quite possible that is what's happening.  It could also be the staff is still bringing in potential recruits for visits as schools and recruits make their final decisions and the "dead period" comes to an end.

I have seen no buzz whatsoever about the Lithuanian/British kid, Karolis Kundrotas, so that may be just wishful thinking on my part....

With UP's need for a huge presence in the middle, Ray Barreno is probably the recruit of focus right now, but if he visited UP as reported and is still taking visits to places like Denton, San Antonio, and Prairie View....all in Texas, he's probably looking more for geographic location instead of the better program and conference.

I honestly would not be surprised if it is two weeks or more before we hear of the final signing of a NLI for next season's team.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:45 pm

#STRecruiting 7-0 center Conor Clifford of Saddleback JC, CA remains undecided according to his coach. Clifford has visited USC and Washington State and may take one more visit before making a decision.

Interesting. Wonder who school #3 will be?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:15 am

School #3 is Utah - Conor Clifford will visit the Utes this week. Think we can officially turn the page on this guy!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:46 am

@JoshGershon wrote:2015 Las Vegas Impact Academy SG Rashad Jackson will officially visit Portland this weekend.

From Bakersfield. Originally a 2014 guy but did a post-grad year at Impact.

He was a 3-star SG coming out of HS according to one of the recruiting sites.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:26 am

Good pick up, Terry...

There's probably no doubt a BIG such as Ray Barreno is UP's #1 priority as one of the final two adds to this year's recruiting class, but Jackson has to be #1A.  

I would guess the still unsigned Telly Davenport is the recruit that UP will go after to replace Xubi if Rashad Jackson decides to go elsewhere, but having him visit UP so late in the game is in my mind, a good sign.

Temperatures in the 70's all weekend here in Portland....could be a little chilly for a guy who's matriculated in Bakersfield and Las Vegas...but it could be a lot worse!

Can't tell much from the video, except that Rashad is another 100% shooter.  Razz

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4795182/highlights/207819656/v2
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:43 pm

Stopped by the Oregon vs. Washington high school game tonight in Hillsboro and watched a number of future college players.

Some might remember former UP recruit Eli Lininger from South Eugene….he had 19 points and a game-high 19 rebounds before he heads off to Yale after graduation.

Kadeem Strickland, heading to Holy Names College in Oakland finished with 18 points, hitting 6 of 14 from the field, including 4 of 8 from 3-point range.

Reynolds big man Drew Eubanks who, as we know, is headed to Oregon State, had 19 points and 13 rebounds.

But the game’s high scorer was future UP guard, Jazz Johnson, who came off the bench to score 35 points despite being double-teamed much of the second half.  Jazz shot 14 of 22 (5 of 8 on 3's).

The Washington team won, 109-108.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next