Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Recruiting

+14
VillaGorilla
blacksheep
KTodd
Bluff dweller
wrv
IronLions
Geezaldinho
joshhorton
Rob's Jacket
oldtimer
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

2014 Recruiting - Page 5 Empty Re: 2014 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:16 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:SF target Spencer Mathis is off the board. He committed to Northern Colorado today.
Seriously?  scratch He knows there are at least 4 or 5 other SFs on the team, right?  Does he know UNC is in Greeley, for gosh sakes?

There must be something good going on there in Greeley with the number of recruits who are walking on and transferring there.  You don't suppose they've been seduced by Miss Mary Jane, do you?  Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:02 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Seriously?  scratch He knows there are at least 4 or 5 other SFs on the team, right?  Does he know UNC is in Greeley, for gosh sakes?
Not sure, but it'll become a moot point when we hear that Jason Todd has committed to UP sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:33 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:Hmm...a UP offer to Jack Williams showed up on Verbal Commits today. He's a PF that's 6-8, 195 from Chaminade in west Hills, CA.

Don't think this is news as it would appear that he's had an offer for the Pilots for quite some time...along with 17 other schools.
Williams is OFF the board after his commitment to Long Beach St.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:24 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Williams is OFF the board after his commitment to Long Beach St.
Another one off the board, though as you posted a week ago he wasn't planning to leave CA.

On an aside, it seems like there is infinitely more chatter this offseason about recruiting than there was last offseason...I would venture to say that this is half because we have more to talk about (at this point last year, Wintering had already filled what was supposed to be UP's only open scholarship - how things change) and half of the emergence of semi-reliable sites like Verbal Commits keeping us outsiders abreast of what's happening.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:55 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Another PF that was in town a couple of weeks ago, and is already getting closer to the size he'll need for D-1 ball, is Jacob Lampkin.

At 6-8/210, the O'Dea of Seattle PF has garnered a lot of interest from some fine schools including Dartmouth, American, Stanford, Santa Clara, Pacific, and WSU.

Although by the looks of his shirt, he may prefer California weather over the NW. Rolling Eyes
Not committed to a Cali school yet, but he does have an "official visit" to Pacific next week.  He’s gotta check the various schools I guess, but it would seem an offer from Dartmouth should be pretty compelling.
Well, it kind of surprises me, but Lampkin chose Pacific after his visit to Stockton this weekend. Rolling Eyes 

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Turns out that Lampkin and Warner were a package deal for Pacific: http://tmi.me/18lbQa
The recruiting board is getting a little thin for the Pilots.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:20 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Turns out that Lampkin and Warner were a package deal for Pacific: http://tmi.me/18lbQa
The recruiting board is getting a little thin for the Pilots.
Wow - five guys off the board in the last five days. Granted, I don't think the Pilots were ever in the plans for a couple of those guys but still - that's some major movement.

So now what? It's obvious that a SG would be a nice fit for this class, as would a C. No signs of Berwick coming for a visit, so are we going to hear of some new offers over the next couple of days? Or...there could be stuff in the works that we've got no clue about!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Yea, I gotta admit, it is a bit discouraging....especially when two NW kids pick Stockton over Portland......

All I can say is the coaches hit the road bright and early this morning with three scholarships in hand.

Remember though, UP's AD said something about it being nice to have a spot available for a JC transfer and a spot available for a D-1 transfer.  But with only 3 underclassmen this year, I think there might be a need to build a base before going for experience.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:02 am

DoubleDipper wrote: Yea, I gotta admit, it is a bit discouraging....especially when two NW kids pick Stockton over Portland....
You can also think of it this way: two kids picked a school that was in the NCAA tournament last season over a school that finished 8th in its conference and lost in the first round of the conference tourney to a previously winless opponent. Not so hard to see their logic.

Regarding the positions most needed for next year's class... A center is an obvious need, and then a small forward/athletic wing should take precedence over another 2 guard. For 2014-15 we already have Carr, Sharp, Pressley and Zubizarrrta at the 2, and only Bailey at the 3.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:42 am

NoPoNeighbour wrote:A center is an obvious need
So obvious, in fact, that the fact that we've hardly heard of any offers to centers might mean that the staff maybe has a European big man all lined up? Or it might just be a case of being a terrible year to be in need of a post, as Josh Gershon alludes to.

@JoshGershon wrote:Robert Upshaw commit for UW is big with the lack of 2014 posts in west. Not many better options than Upshaw if he takes care of business.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:15 am

Good point, Deaner, it does look lean out there this year....

Just a point about Upshaw.....he was suspended twice by Fresno St. last season and finally dismissed from the team a couple of weeks ago, so he certainly isn't the type of player we'd see at UP.

He was once a high school Top 50, however.....but probably should have left his home town of Fresno sooner.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:30 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Apparently Kameron Chatman (yes, Caanan's son) will be transferring from his high school in California (where he's played for Sharif Metoyer) to Columbia Christian for his senior year.  Kameron is one of the most sought after 2014 recruits in the US (most guess he'll end up at Michigan or Arizona), and his move to 1A Columbia Christian from an elite program is not only a bit of a shock, but it will bring a whole new level of interest/exposure for Arkadiy Mkrtychyan, IMO.
As suspected, 1A Columbia Christian is suddenly getting a lot of interest....I've been told at least 3 colleges were represented at CC's 6:30 practice this morning.....#itsabusiness
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:35 pm

Apparently Portland has offered a scholarship to De La Salle HS defensive end Larry Ross.
Either they meant Portland State, or the Pilots are going to be delivering some hard fouls next year! rimshot

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:35 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Apparently Portland has offered a scholarship to De La Salle HS defensive end Larry Ross.
Either they meant Portland State, or the Pilots are going to be delivering some hard fouls next year! rimshot
Really?

De La Salle (Concord) is really the only high school program I follow for football and basketball, and I honestly think Ross has a good shot at college football at some level due to his growth potential (I think he's around 230) and pure athleticism.  I haven't seen the basketball team since the 11-12 season, and don't remember him on the roster, but if he can be the next 6'3" TJ Campbell.......cheers  

2014 Recruiting - Page 5 Larry10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:37 pm

I want to see a 230 lb TJ!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I want to see a 230 lb TJ!
Be careful what you wish for, Geez.....

http://www.hilariousgifs.com/close-enough/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:29 pm

I thought I mentioned this earlier but I don't see it now? Anyway, here it is again...the one center we do know that the Pilots have offered has three visits scheduled. Not surprisingly, Thomas Welsh will be visiting three Pac-12 schools (Colorado, Cal, UCLA). Says he's going to visit two other schools as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:51 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:I thought I mentioned this earlier but I don't see it now? Anyway, here it is again...the one center we do know that the Pilots have offered has three visits scheduled. Not surprisingly, Thomas Welsh will be visiting three Pac-12 schools (Colorado, Cal, UCLA). Says he's going to visit two other schools as well.
No, I don't believe we've ever written about Welsh because he's a four star out of So. Calif. and there are so many BIG programs who have made him offers, including, as I recall, Stanford, UCLA, Cal, USC, Notre Dame.....and a bunch more.

Really an unusual offer for UP to make, but he's obviously a scholar and an athlete, and I'm guessing there were far fewer schools pursuing him 9 months ago when the offer was made.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:49 pm

Rev tweeted that he's off to Chicago early today.

Could he be going to say hello to Lamont Walker? He's a 2014 SG out of Morgan Park HS in Chicago.

Back to top Go down

Post by IronLions Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:15 pm

I read on twitter Jason Todd committed to Portland. Sounds like very good player.
IronLions
IronLions
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:25 pm

IronLions wrote:I read on twitter Jason Todd committed to Portland. Sounds like very good player.
Thanks, IL, I too read that.....
Jason Todd‏@Jason_Todd10
Humbled and proud to say I'll be at the University of Portland next year! A dream come true. Thank you to all involved! Go Pilots!
Not too suprised, as his visit to UP and time with Rhino went very well....I wonder if he'll have any time for baseball too. tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:48 pm

I’m willing to wager that when Jason is at UP, he will be the only UP basketball player ever to have also played in the Little League World Series……
The Seattle Times wrote:SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. — Jason Todd thought Alex Jondal's seventh-inning drive was headed over the left-center field wall.

It hit the wall instead, but Todd could care less. He was coming home with the winning run, and that's all that mattered.

Jondal ripped a two-out single Tuesday at Volunteer Stadium, scoring Todd, lifting Mill Creek to a dramatic 3-2 victory over Jeffersonville, Ind., and sending the Northwest champions into today's 5 p.m. U.S. semifinals against unbeaten Waipahu, Hawaii.

"It's a great feeling knowing you're moving on in the Little League World Series. It's a dream come true," said Todd, who was so excited that he chest-bumped teammate Jake Block and knocked him down after scoring. "I was just ecstatic. Going on, walk-off at the Little League World Series — it's something I'll remember the rest of my life."
2014 Recruiting - Page 5 Todd10
South Williamsport, PA....August, 2008
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:05 pm

I have a ton of respect for Pasha Bains. He is a couple years older than me and I remember seeing article after article about him likely being the best high school player in British Columbia history. I know he went to Clemson for a couple years, but not sure where he played after. He is the founder of the Lower Mainland DRIVE club team that has really turned some heads over the last couple of years - anyway, he seems to think that the Pilots have gotten quite the player in Jason Todd!

@DRIVEBasketball wrote:Nice get RT @Jason_Todd10 Humbled and proud to say I'll be at the University of Portland next year!
@DRIVEBasketball wrote:@Jason_Todd10 Congrats man! Glad u won't be around to call out our plays anymore!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Every year, Gatorade picks a boy and girl Player of the Year in all 50 states.  The winners are selected based on athletic production and impact in season. Each winner also demonstrated high academic achievement and exemplary personal character, including volunteerism, sportsmanship and community leadership.

Jason Todd was the Washington Gatorade High School Player of the Year for the 2012-13 season.
THE WINNER: Jason Todd
School: Jackson (Mill Creek, Wash.)
Grade: Junior
Position: Guard
Height: 6-foot-5
Weight: 200 pounds
Athletic achievement: Todd averaged 21.5 points, 10.8 rebounds, 3.7 assists, 2.3 steals and 1.1 blocks per game, leading the Timberwolves (26-1) to the Class 4A state championship game. An All-State first team selection by The Seattle Times and News Tribune, Todd shot 50 percent from the field, 40 percent from 3-point range and 81 percent from the free throw line. In three postseason games, he averaged 16.3 points, 8.7 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 1.3 steals, capturing Class 4A state tournament Most Valuable Player honors.

Academic excellence: Todd has maintained a 3.60 GPA.

Exemplary character: In addition to donating his time as a youth basketball instructor, Todd has volunteered locally assisting in elementary school classrooms.

“Jason Todd is a true definition of a student-athlete with exemplary character,” said Cory West, head coach of rival Kamiak (Mukilteo, Wash.). “What impresses me the most is his ability to play all five positions at the high school level. He can run the point comfortably, he has worked in the offseason to develop a better outside shot that he can hit consistently in order to play the 2 or 3 spot, and he can play on the block because he is so strong and finishes around the basket. Also, his ability to pass is key to his team’s success. He is a matchup nightmare for opposing teams at the high school level.”
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:52 pm

Former UP baseball  and basketball player, and former major leaguer, Bill Krueger described Todd as the, “Probably the most complete player in the Tournament” at about the 8 min point in this video of the entire Washington 4A Championship game this last March on Root Sports.  4A is the top category for high school sports in Washington...

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/52161

2014 Recruiting - Page 5 Todd_110
March, 2013
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next