Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Recruiting

+14
VillaGorilla
blacksheep
KTodd
Bluff dweller
wrv
IronLions
Geezaldinho
joshhorton
Rob's Jacket
oldtimer
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
18 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

2014 Recruiting - Page 2 Empty Re: 2014 Recruiting

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:19 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Interesting note from the pilotsbasketball.com site... John Bailey is listed as a senior.
And, DoubleDipper gets another point! Called that one some time ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:23 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:The great Andrew (one-and-done) Wiggins decided on KU instead of UP this year, but that shouldn't deter the Pilots from going after another Canadian, Tristan Etienne for 2014.
2014 Recruiting - Page 2 Trista10
Apparently Tristan wanted to stick "closer to home" --- he's decided to go to UW.  Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:03 pm

Coach Reveno has been sighted at the Peach Jam in Georgia watching AAU teams in action....

A good kid to watch there might be Jackson Forbes, a 6-6 SF from Plano, Texas, who will be a senior this fall.  

Forbes really puts the STUDENT in student/athlete, and has picked up offers from Rice, Dartmouth, and Brown, and if I’m not mistaken, now UP.
2014 Recruiting - Page 2 Jackso11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Anyone know what the deal with Salem PG L.J. Westbrook is? Listed as #2 2014 prospect in Oregon and according to Left Coast Recruiting has decommitted from Oregon State.

edit: I now see that Westbrook was a 2013 prospect but reclassified to 2014 and is now at Lee Academy in Maine. Wonder where he'll end up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:20 am

Admittedly I pay more attention to the Canadian prospects, but I keep hearing (over and over) how good Jadon Cohee is.

UP, PSU with the only D1 offers on this kid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:38 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Admittedly I pay more attention to the Canadian prospects, but I keep hearing (over and over) how good Jadon Cohee is.

Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks this, either.

http://westcoastconvo.com/2013/07/16/wcc-basketball-recruiting-jadon-cohee-drive-basketball-canada/

He says it's UP and Seattle with offers so far. I thought it was UP and PSU. I'd consider this a major get for the Pilots if they can snare this kid (though I will admit major bias as not only a Canadian, but one with Langley ties!).

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:43 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
DeanMurdoch wrote:Admittedly I pay more attention to the Canadian prospects, but I keep hearing (over and over) how good Jadon Cohee is.
Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks this, either.http://westcoastconvo.com/2013/07/16/wcc-basketball-recruiting-jadon-cohee-drive-basketball-canada/He says it's UP and Seattle with offers so far. I thought it was UP and PSU. I'd consider this a major get for the Pilots if they can snare this kid (though I will admit major bias as not only a Canadian, but one with Langley ties!).
On May 31
DoubleDipper wrote:I actually had a chance to see this kid last summer, and what impressed me besides his size for a PG, 6-4/180, was his leadership and poise.

I understand UP made him an offer....and he'd be the only true PG in addition to Alec on the roster.  (Bobby and Xubi are combo guards, so can play the 1, but Jadon would do much better, IMO).
To my knowledge, Cohee is the only PG offered for next year, with Jazz Johnson giving a verbal for 2015.

It's always hard to say if any particular PSA would rather not go to a school where the starting PG is only one year ahead of him....but there should be no reason two PGs can't spread the minutes.  Three might be a different story!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:03 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:He says it's UP and Seattle with offers so far. I thought it was UP and PSU.
From what I hear from a former UP PG, PSU has got strong interest in Cohee, but with four PG's on the roster, they may be a stronger team by using their four 2014 scholarships at other positions.  I understand they've already offered three SGs and a PF.

It's sometimes hard to figure who Coach Dollar at SU might bring in; he's a good recruiter, but he'll have two PGs two years ahead of Cohee if he plays at SU next season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:03 pm

Hey, Rob's Jacket.....and others,
West Coast Convo wrote:Hey #PortlandPilots fans! You should check out 2014 G Jadon Cohee at the Oregon Summer Showcase if you get a chance.
I believe the OSS is in Salem July 19-21.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:27 am

WARNING: Quasi-analysis post coming. We all know I know nothing about basketball.

Well first off, I think too often pigeonholing occurs within positions. This guy's a one, this guy's a two, this guy's a four. No, get your best five players on the floor and implement a system that works with your strengths.

As for Jadon Cohee and his fit on the team, it'd be Carr as a senior along with Wintering and Cohee for his freshman year. And with Jazz committed, yeah you've got Wintering/Cohee/Johnson there for a couple of seasons...but only as long as none of these players get hurt or transfer, and that's one giant "if" considering the current college landscape which has seen 468 players transfer in the last year.

Obviously we've seen Carr hurt and Douglas and Reinfelds go elsewhere for various reasons, and that's just at the guard positions over the past 16 months. I would seriously doubt if the coaching staff is the least bit worried about the possibility of having three quality players on the roster listed as a PG.....and the New York Knicks sure weren't worried about that possibility this year. With three good PGs in Prigioni (6-3), Felton (6-1), and Kidd (6-4) on the roster they routinely played two - and sometimes all three - at the same time with success. At the end of the day, Felton averaged 34 minutes a game with Kidd at 27 and Prigioni at 15. I'll leave you to do the math about how those minutes would translate to the college game.

Reveno's always preaching about finding the proper fit when picking a school. And if the Pilots are after Cohee hard, you can bet he'll have a pretty specific plan to present about how he'd be used on the Bluff in conjunction with returning and future personnel.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:40 am

DeanMurdoch wrote:.and the New York Knicks sure weren't worried about that possibility this year. With three good PGs in Prigioni (6-3), Felton (6-1), and Kidd (6-4) on the roster they routinely played two - and sometimes all three - at the same time with success. At the end of the day, Felton averaged 34 minutes a game with Kidd at 27 and Prigioni at 15. I'll leave you to do the math about how those minutes would translate to the college game.

I'm not sure if I would look to the NY Knicks as the bar of excellence for personnel management...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:20 am

DaTruRochin wrote:I'm not sure if I would look to the NY Knicks as the bar of excellence for personnel management...

You're right, they were only 54-28 last year.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:46 am

Based on the last 10 years? Last year was an aberration... I'd rather base a team that can look at long term success. And I'd argue the Knicks even had that record in spite of their point guard play, rather than because of it, but thats a different story.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:02 am

DaTruRochin wrote:Based on the last 10 years? Last year was an aberration... I'd rather base a team that can look at long term success.
I would think all Pilots fans want long term success....but I've been waiting over 50 years...give me a one year "aberration," now!

Even if it means five point guards on the floor...Basketball
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:10 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Hey, Rob's Jacket.....and others,
West Coast Convo wrote:Hey #PortlandPilots fans! You should check out 2014 G Jadon Cohee at the Oregon Summer Showcase if you get a chance.
I believe the OSS is in Salem July 19-21.

Of course ... the one weekend I'm out of Salem this summer!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Word has it that UP has offered a scholarship to another 2014 SF…..6’6” 200lb Jason Todd from up the road in Mill Creek, WA.  I believe that makes at least three offers to SF’s for next year.

Todd said that he visited Santa Clara, who also made an offer, and he’s received a great deal of interest from Nevada, San Diego, Gonzaga, Utah, Washington St., Davidson, Montana and Oregon St.
2014 Recruiting - Page 2 Jason_10
Oh yea, Jason would also like to continue playing baseball in college......
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:00 am

Yeah I've heard they've been interested in Todd a while know, Just googling his name and basketball there's an article from August of 2012 that links Portland to Todd.

I can't remember where I saw it (I think it was Rivals), but I also saw there was some interest in his teammate Dan Kingma.

At this point we need depth at all positions considering there are only three underclassmen currently in the program. That's 10 open scholarships in the next two seasons.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:29 pm

DTLegend wrote:...there are only three underclassmen currently in the program.

Shocked 

I kind of forgot about that minor detail. Wow.

Plenty of room for someone to join the now-lonely Bryce in the 2016 class....a juco big would fit the bill nicely. Those grow on trees, right?

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Yeah, just a minor detail. I have a feeling that Portland will push for a juco transfer or two in the next few years.

Basically an even distribution would be 3 or 4 scholarships per year. obviously with transfers as common as they are it's pretty much impossible to accomplish that all the time. It's a similar situation that we were in four years ago. These two classes had 9 scholarships between them when they came in, and now they are using 10 of the 13.

On the bright side, I love learning about new recruits, and this gives us that excitement of learning about a commitment 8 more times in the next couple of seasons. That is fun

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Verbal Commits wrote:LMU, Portland, LBSU, & Cal State Northridge offered 2014 St Josephs of Notre Dame (CA) F Temidayo Yussuf
.....and Cal St. Fullerton, and UC Davis, and Montana St., and Pacific.....and there are a number of other schools very interested that could still make an offer.

He's the fourth 2014 SF that has an offer from UP, I believe.....but he'll not be the last!
2014 Recruiting - Page 2 P_24510
Yes, he's already a member of the Pilots team.....and #24 should be available. Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Jon Averkamp is a 2014 SF from Wisconsin that UP’s coaching staff will be watching this weekend in Las Vegas.

To the best of my knowledge, Averkamp has no offers from D-1 schools yet….I’ll be curious to see if that changes after the 6-7/220 Germantown native and his AAU team, the Wisconsin Swing, hits Vegas.
2014 Recruiting - Page 2 Jon11
It would appear they get good crowds for boy's volleyball in Germantown....Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Add another 2014 SF to the list. Pilots have offered Temidayo Yussuf (Alameda, CA) along with LMU, Long Beach State, and Northridge.

This kid is now one of my favourites...if you creep him out on Twitter his cover picture is Will Smith playing Baseball Stars on the original Nintendo. Respect!!

edit: I now see this was posted earlier tonight...missed it due to the Page 3/Page 4 break. Should have known ol' Dipsy would be all over it.

Last edited by DeanMurdoch on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:47 am

Haha, beat you to it by four hours....

I guess I should have highlighted Yussef's name in the tweet.

Dipsy? Well, I have been called "Doodle."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:59 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:He's the fourth 2014 SF that has an offer from UP, I believe.....but he'll not be the last!

Is Temidayo Yussuf actually projected as a SF at the D1 level? He's listed at 6-7, 215 on Verbal Commits and Max Preps...but he's listed as 6-7, 240 (and as a C) on ESPN's site.

- see, check out that video from a couple of months ago (good strong take on the clip). He's a pretty thick dude, and if I could take a guess 240 would be a more accurate weight than 215.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:01 pm

Well, from the clip he reminds me of Dorian in HS....but NOT a center, YET!

Depending on his agility and shooting ability, he could be a very effective SF, but I agree he doesn't physically look like any SF UP has had in my memory....more like a PF.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next