Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Austen Guerrero signs with Mexican Champs

2 posters

Go down

Austen Guerrero signs with Mexican Champs Empty Austen Guerrero signs with Mexican Champs

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Its on the Portland Pilots site.

http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2012/1/24/MSOC_0124122536.aspx

Good news! Congrats to him.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Austen Guerrero signs with Mexican Champs Empty Re: Austen Guerrero signs with Mexican Champs

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:39 pm

If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms.
Mike Ditka
Iron Mike never saw Austin play. He was great to watch at UP; he'll be even better with Tigres! Pimp

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Austen Guerrero signs with Mexican Champs Empty Re: Austen Guerrero signs with Mexican Champs

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Austin Guerrero joins Tigres training camp……

From MLS Soccer:
GUADALAJARA, Mexico – Goalkeeper Austin Guerrero has joined fellow Americans Victor Garza and Jonathan Bornstein in Tigres UANL's first-team preseason training camp in Cancún.

The 23-year-old from Chula Vista, Calif., is currently fourth-choice 'keeper at the club, partly because he only moved down south to Monterrey this past January, but is keen to make his way up the roster to, eventually, the No. 1 shirt.

“I'd like to garner a starting spot here because I love the club, I love the city and I love everything about it,” Guerrero told MLSsoccer.com by phone on Wednesday.

He knows that will not be easy, with competition for places extremely steep and the club producing a conveyor belt of new talent from its youth system. For now, Guerrero is content biding his time and learning from those ahead of him in the pecking order.

The technical and speedy 'keeper had interest from MLS after graduating from the University of Portland, but opted for Mexico partly because he felt his athletic style and shorter stature (he's listed at 5-foot-11) fits the game down south a little more.

The former US Under-20 also has an extra incentive that is driving him to make the first team.
“I think I'd be the first American goalkeeper here in Mexico, so that would be cool,” said Guerrero. “But I just want to play. I'm a 23-year-old guy who just wants to play and that's my goal.”

The focused American has an uphill struggle in arguably Mexico's best squad, but he is at least keeping his head down and making sure no distractions get in his way.

“My lifestyle here is really concentrated,” Guerrero said. "I go to training, I work hard, I stay after and, by the time I get home, I don't want to do anything else but eat and sleep."

Unlike the vast majority of Americans playing in Mexico, who have at least one parent from that country, Guerrero's grandmother is his link to Mexican citizenship and he grew up speaking only basic Spanish.

“To this day, I'm still really learning it and thankfully my teammates help me out left and right,” he said, adding that having Bornstein and other Americans around at the club have been a big help.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down