Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guerrero makes top 100 list

3 posters

Go down

Guerrero makes top 100 list Empty Guerrero makes top 100 list

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 am

Goalie recruit Austin Guerrero is on the College soccer News top 100 freshmen list.

http://www.collegesoccernews.com/index_files/Page1506.htm

For the Pilots to do well this season, they'll need him or one of the other guys to fill the shoes of Luis Robles.

Let's hope that happens.

Go Pilots!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11838
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Guerrero makes top 100 list Empty Re: Guerrero makes top 100 list

Post by Blanco Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:45 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:Goalie recruit Austin Guerrero is on the College soccer News top 100 freshmen list.

http://www.collegesoccernews.com/index_files/Page1506.htm

For the Pilots to do well this season, they'll need him or one of the other guys to fill the shoes of Luis Robles.

Let's hope that happens.

Go Pilots!

Although Luis was a times a phenominal Keeper..He had his fair share of silly errors and wasn't the best "team player" or leader he could have been.

What he was ..was Bigs boy! When he signed in Germany it was for a reserve teams reserve team!That made headlines on the pilot forum amoung other places..He basically signed for an Oberliga 4 team..The lowest professional division!.Two other players have signed in this time and are/were on a higher level than Luis signed for...and you hear nothing from UP.

I hope for the best for Luis' replacement in the nets!

Blanco
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:35 am

Blanco... I'm guessing that the reason you don't hear much about Dallman and Sanders signing is because they left early. Luis had graduated and finished his eligibility... Dallman and Sanders walked away with a year left to play. And I also don't think it's necessarily intentional... a lot of it has to do with timing as well.

Still, unless it's a guy leaving to be an NBA lottery pick or something like that, schools and coaches are never happy when someone leaves early, even if they totally understand and maybe even agree with the decision.

As for Guerrero... I think he's going to be cash money!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Guerrero makes top 100 list Empty Guerrero makes top 100 list

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:32 am

Although Luis was a times a phenominal Keeper..He had his fair share of silly errors and wasn't the best "team player" or leader he could have been.

Blanco--

Maybe Luis made a few bonehead plays, but don't forget he had the most saves in UP history.
There was a reason for that. He took the most shots. And, he was under more pressure, playing for teams that didn't control the ball all that well.

I'll still remember him as a guy who was fearless between the posts, and save UP's *ss in a lot of games that could have been runaways. The scores on the games he sat down for during the team suspension year is proof of that.

As to where he signed--That probably had as much to do with the team record as his own performance. The 2005 hazing team managed 7 wins, last year was ony better by comparison.

As to the publicity tied to their leaving, the two other guys left without notice after the season, abandoning the program. Pretty hard to manage a farewell tour for them. And at least in Sanders case, I'm having a bit of trouble remembering any particularly selfless play. Luis was loyal for his whole career.

I think your concept of who was a team player and who wasn't is backwards.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11838
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanco Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:35 pm

[quote="Purplegeezer"]

Blanco--

Maybe Luis made a few bonehead plays, but don't forget he had the most saves in UP history.
There was a reason for that. He took the most shots. And, he was under more pressure, playing for teams that didn't control the ball all that well.

I'll still remember him as a guy who was fearless between the posts, and save UP's *ss in a lot of games that could have been runaways. The scores on the games he sat down for during the team suspension year is proof of that.

As to where he signed--That probably had as much to do with the team record as his own performance. The 2005 hazing team managed 7 wins, last year was ony better by comparison.

As to the publicity tied to their leaving, the two other guys left without notice after the season, abandoning the program. Pretty hard to manage a farewell tour for them. And at least in Sanders case, I'm having a bit of trouble remembering any particularly selfless play. Luis was loyal for his whole career.

I think your concept of who was a team player and who wasn't is backwards.[/quote

Wow..Lot to respond to here. Program record in saves..You only have to look at the 4 year record wins-v-loses and compare them to any other 4 year period in the program history, More chances at saves gets more saves! ...Also look at the style of play since Bigs took over! It's NOT possession! Thisstyle of play would not have been tolerated by Clive! It's over the top and hope the forwards can beat 4 defenders most of the time!

As for the two players who left a year early. One of them gave notice in January 07. Had a face to face with both Bigs and Barto before leaving! That's more notice than Pearce and Simpson gave before leaving!

As for Luis' team leadership on and off the field..I can give a few examples from current senior players that have told me some of the things he said and done which was definatly not of leadership quality! ..I attened every home game and many away games. Luis' suspenson game? He sat on the bench away from any other players. He did the same thing any time he wasn't between the pipes!

You spoke of loyalty..Yes..Luis stayed for 4 years..He would have left earlier too ..Keller got him a two week trial the summer before his senior year..it wasn't successful.Loyatly is something the program (Bigs) expects from players..but the program doesn't show to players!

I know I'm sounding down on Luis..and I honestly don't want to..I wish the best for him..It's just that he was put up in this light in the program and there was another side of Luis that coaches and spectators didn't see.

And you are correct..There were many games that Luis kept us in..or stopped from being kills. Like I said..he was at times a phenominal player.

Blanco
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-07-20

Back to top Go down