Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots a 12 Seed if Tournament Were Today?

+5
MesaPilot1
dholcombe
VillaGorilla
blacksheep
Stonehouse
9 posters

Go down

Pilots a 12 Seed if Tournament Were Today? Empty Pilots a 12 Seed if Tournament Were Today?

Post by Stonehouse Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:42 pm

So says Jerry Palm of CBS Sports!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14419586/projecting-the-2011-ncaa-tournament-field

Ha ha... of course this doesn't mean much (he's not predicting a final field, he's giving a snapshot of the current moment), but it's fun to see nonetheless. Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Pilots a 12 Seed if Tournament Were Today? Empty Re: Pilots a 12 Seed if Tournament Were Today?

Post by blacksheep Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:56 pm

I know what you mean. I've been following the Pilots on real time rpi all year. I keep telling myself how early it is, but they have the Pilots going 24-6 (12-2 WCC). It would be incredible if that actually happens. Yahoo!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Pilots a 12 Seed if Tournament Were Today? Empty Re: Pilots a 12 Seed if Tournament Were Today?

Post by VillaGorilla Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:04 pm

That 12-2 mark in conference might be readily achievable, but only in light of how poorly the other teams are performing this year. I fear that if we were to pull out twenty plus wins, we would not be on the short list for an at-large due to the relative weakness of the WCC's RPI. To get consideration, we would need to perform very well during the rest of our OOC schedule since our opportunities for marquee wins have passed.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:46 pm

I'm starting to think this might be a 1 bid year for the WCC. St. Mary's has a good win over St. John's and a chance at another over Vanderbilt. They might be able to get an at large.

I think we'll have to win the tournament unless we beat Utah, which I think we can, and Utah turns out to have a better season than I'm thinking.

The way Gonzaga is going the only way they are going to get in is by winning the WCC tournament unless they turn things around soon. They have a tough schedule and some opportunities to get quality wins coming up, but the WCC is going to hurt everybodys RPI this year it looks like. Not enough OOC wins as a conference.

Of course if we go 25-5, they'll just have to give us a spot, right? RealTimeRPI has us going 24-6, but we're not possibly going to lose to my grad school PSU again are we? I sure hope not.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:11 pm

Easy son Shocked

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:29 pm

MesaPilot1 wrote:Easy son Shocked

You know things are out of control on the board when Mesa is telling people to ease up.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:00 pm

Rob's Jacket wrote:

You know things are out of control on the board when Mesa is telling people to ease up.

Yeah seriously. Wasn't it Charles Barkley who said, "Christmas time is for presents." (not getting excited about basketball)
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:21 am

Rob's Jacket wrote:

RJ, LOL, YOU always know how to make me laugh, or defend me from scurrilous scoundrel attacks from that evil spot on the map to the north just south of the north pole....you gonna be on chat for DU game??? I wonder if santa has a toy making factory up at that spot, lol, Adam bobbleheads...with cigs hanging out of mouth, can o shoal,& skoal, plus flowing tear button included....

Your pal from the UPPER SONARAN Desert,

Mesapilot1 jocolor

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Don't forget the will work for a "new contemporary" wardrobe sign on the bobbles neck, lol.)

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:48 am

[quote="onetouchfutbol"][quote="Rob's Jacket"]

Yeah seriously. Wasn't it Charles Barkley who said, "Christmas time is for presents." (not getting excited about basketball)

Chuck's not much of a role model,, but the guy is one heck of a great quote machine....I guess we're both to familiar with Revs coaching stint...and our Zag escuue collapses in the months of dec/jan over the last two campaigns...it would be nice achievement for Luke,Jared, Kramer,& big JASONN to just be invited to the NIT tournament & win a game there...but I guess I've just become a realist lately...

MESAPILOT1 sunny

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:38 pm

First of all, if you would have told me two months ago someone from the media would consider our team for the tourney at this point in the season I would not have believed you, so thats awesome.

One interesting note about this projection has Washington State "on the fence". I can't see how the selection committee could put us in over Washington State as we've played head to head, but i guess that depends on how the season turns out. My fingers are crossed

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:10 pm

Well, I guess WSU has a lot more opportunities to lose in Pac-10 games than UP does based on the traditional toughness of the conference (even though the Pac 10 is pretty down right now)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:32 pm

In my opinion, we're still at that early stage in the season where RPI and rankings are a little bit skewed. I mean weren't we in the top 10 in RPI early last year? And now, Tennessee is #1 in RPI and only #13 in the rankings? That's a very athletic squad.

I think we'll have a better understanding of where we really stand after our early February match up with Gonzaga at home is over. We've got to get some league play under our belt to see how we match up. There are athletic teams like LMU that are struggling now, but, might be very dangerous later...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down