Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

which new frosh are you most interested in seeing??

+11
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
Harry Redknapp
purple haze
DaTruRochin
FANatic
onetouchfutbol
Indigo Kid
GUPhantom
perfectfallevening
fozziewozzie
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

which new frosh are you most interested in seeing?? Empty which new frosh are you most interested in seeing??

Post by fozziewozzie Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:40 am

I know Ellen Parker enrolled early an played with our girls this spring. By all accounts , she played very well, getting better and better every game! That being said.....
the incoming frosh i am most intrigued in seeing is....

Micaela Capelle

fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

which new frosh are you most interested in seeing?? Empty Seems like a strong class

Post by perfectfallevening Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:57 am

good blend of forwards and mids; with 2 new keepers. Pretty good mature playing size and speed with several players. I love midfield play so I guess I am anxious to see these girls.

perfectfallevening
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-22

Back to top Go down

which new frosh are you most interested in seeing?? Empty Re: which new frosh are you most interested in seeing??

Post by GUPhantom Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:59 pm

I think Michelle Cruz may be the bluechip of the 2010 class. Definitely interested in seeing her. Next? Sarah Bridges and Amanda Frisbie. I've seen Sarah play for Jesuit but I'm interested in how she'll do against D1 players. I think she'll do as well as Kendall has.

GO PILOTS!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

which new frosh are you most interested in seeing?? Empty Re: which new frosh are you most interested in seeing??

Post by fozziewozzie Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:16 pm

my reasoning for micaela is that there was a tourney this last spring which one of our posters [sorry, dont remember who] said she was going to u of o after a very impressive tournament. when it was announced that she was coming to u of p, my curiousity was peeked. my interest in micaela is that, 1] i dont think she was very highly recruited. 2] the previous unidentified [to me anyway] poster thought that micaela was the best player in that tourney. i feel like micaela is this years taylor brooke, loved by the locals, but unsure about their ability to compete at the next level
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:21 pm

I remember that post about Micaela too FW! I think it was a FC Portland vs a (?) club...name escapes me....from Washington. The Washington club had 2 of the 2011 recruits. Anyway, we may have snaged an ace away from the UofO! But Yes..I'm very much looking forward to the 2010 season! Can't wait! It's just around the corner! Countdown??!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo Kid Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:53 am

Hope this fits in this thread. I found this from the USYS Nationals going on this week. Nice comment about Erin Dees (think she is a recruit?)
"Eclipse goalkeeper Erin Dees proved to be a stone wall with good positioning and very safe hands." Here is the link:
http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer/club-soccer-archives/nid-14746/USYS-Nationals-present-quirky-formats-for-teams
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:05 am

I'd probably go with Amanda Frisbie. She looks like she brings a lot of heart to the pitch, and she may have a knack for getting behind the defense...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:07 pm

I noticed an Imani Dorsey on the U14 section of the article! Wonder if there's any relation to our great Pilot Imani Dorsey?! Very Happy
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:00 pm

frisbee might be my second most interesting recruit. video posted here shows she has a very heavy an low shot. something i learned watching christine was that shooting close to the ground makes the liklihood of scoring raise substantually.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:07 am

Fozziewozzie wrote:

something i learned watching christine was that shooting close to the ground makes the liklihood of scoring raise substantually.

Amen, Fozzie. You are right on.

I wish more shots were hard, low line drives. Not being a soccer player, I can only guess that it is much more difficult to do than it looks.

Smile
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:22 pm

Aside:
It is FAN, especially after running for 80+ minutes, the tendency is to lean back when you shoot because of fatigue, thus sending the ball off target, sailing to the hinterlands. A low hard shot is harder for the goalie to read, often forces a dive stop, and can lead to mis-handles and 2nd scoring opportunities.

And now back to your regularly scheduled topic...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:24 pm

I haven't seen any of them and am looking forward to seeing them all. Great class, on paper, from top to bottom.

Sounds like Ellen Parker is developing nicely.

Sarah Bridges will be interesting to watch.

As will Michelle Cruz and Amanda Frisbie.

Micaela Capelle will add another dimension of local flavor, along with Sarah.

Then, we will be watching the critical development of the two rookie GK's.

With Hailee's situation apparently uncertain, it really thrusts Erin Dees and Nichole Downing into the spotlight. (It's also a tremendous opportunity for one or both of them, depending on how Coach uses them.)

Seven very talented freshmen.

Is there a weak link in the bunch?

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Hey, those frosh keepers must first prove they are better between the posts than spring's fill-in keeper Michelle Olivier. Every year one or more freshman steps up in a big way. Even with so many senior leaders this year's team will need to be strong and ready all along the bench. Keepers aside, the recruiting class is slanted toward offense and mids (barring any position changes), so I'll cast my Most Want to Watch vote for Sarah Bridges while keeping an eye out to see who among the new forwards can score.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:01 pm

I believe since hailee has already used her red-shirt year that one of our frosh keeps will be redshirted. as for who will start the season, i'm sure it will be an open competion an the best player will win, according to garrett.

after watching the u-20's with kendall, i am sooooo geared for the season to start! as a bonus, there was a replay of u of p vs. santa clara game from last year on cable a few days ago!

let's get the season started!!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing 'em all! I'm always interested to see if a local player can make the team - last year Kendall Johnson made teh transition from HS to D1 comfortably. Will Sarah Bridges be able to do the same?
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:00 pm

So who the heck is No 24, Kylie Leffler, from Newberg High? http://www.portlandpilots.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2153&path=wsoc I don't recall haring anything about this recruit, but there she is on the UP roster.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:13 pm

I think she signed after the class was announced. Center mid in prep, I was told.

She didn't play the first practice. Somebody said she had some sort of health issue they need to sort out before she plays.

She was injured as a junior, I think, which is probably why she wasn't on the radar much.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:16 pm

I am a little surprised to see Michelle Cruz listed as a MF: thought she was a F?

Makes the question of who starts up front with Dani wide open.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:49 pm

The first I heard of her, she was listed as a center mid and I figured that's the spot she would compete for here. I think at the youth level, most kids we recruit can do both.

From what I saw at first practice, that job is Sophie's unless things get dire. Certainly we will have to groom somebody for when Sophie leaves for the Gold Cup. I found Garrett's comment in one of the interviews that we may have to attack with more players with Michelle gone interesting.

Let's not forget Halley scored 10 last year in part time duty. That was fourth last year and third among returning players. She will be there opening day.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:35 am

Midfield is going to be interesting.

Assume that Kendall and/or Elli are wide left and Keelin and Sophie are up the middle. Kendra is not ready to play? which leaves a lot of players competing for the right side: Taylor, Sara J, and the freshmen: Michelle C, Sarah B, Ellen P, Kylie L. Added to which Sophie will be gone for WC in October so opportunity for PT then.

Pilots have looked for pace on the outside and strength and control up the middle. Not sure which of the midfielders fits the profile for wide role best. Taylor certainly had some good moments and will be a strong candidate for the start if she shows improvement over last year which many Sophs do.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:42 am

I was among the naysayers last year who felt with Dani and Halley up front there wasn't a player with exceptional speed on the front line. I thought that speed on the front line was what the team really needed. Those two proved that hypothesis to be faulty. While I still like to watch a speed merchant up front, the team was well served by two players with skill and determination. It seems likely that they will be the starters.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:56 am

I'm still not convinced that Hallie and Dani is the winning combination.

Having said that, HK clearly improved significantly year over year and looked more confident and skillful, she plays with great effort and determination, and she has the size to be a good target. UP plays more to feet and keeping possession so size is not as much a factor as it would be with a long ball team.

In the playoffs Pilots will need to players up front with the touch and finesse to make space and finish and create chances for others.

I think its an open question who that will be. Could be Hallie or could be one of the new players: or could be Sophie or Kendall moved up.

Another topic of interest as the season unfolds.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:15 am

I wonder if Garrett is giving any thought to moving toward a 4-3-3. I think I remember that they used something like this with Christine, putting her in the middle with two speedy wings outside, then two playmakers in front of the holding midfielder. I could see Danielle in the middle role as the finisher and it seems like we'd have a fair number of excellent candidates for the wing and playmaker roles.

Any thoughts on this from you coaching types out there?
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:45 am

SoreKnees wrote:I wonder if Garrett is giving any thought to moving toward a 4-3-3. I think I remember that they used something like this with Christine, putting her in the middle with two speedy wings outside, then two playmakers in front of the holding midfielder. I could see Danielle in the middle role as the finisher and it seems like we'd have a fair number of excellent candidates for the wing and playmaker roles.

Any thoughts on this from you coaching types out there?

From what I remember of that 4-3-3 it was in Christine's sophomore or junior year and the players then weren't comfortable with it.

They moved back to a diamond 4-4-2 part way through the season, hopped it up a bit, and played a lot better. By 2005, there wasn't even a consideration of leaving the diamond 4-4-2. The only thing I have seen is ways to get more players forward in that system, first with one fullback pushing forward ( on the left) then with both going forward. Last year we even saw the central defenders in the mix with them in the box on offensive runs. I think Cloee particularly will get the green light if people don't play her honestly. Garrett made a point in an interview that we will need to get more people forward to make up for the loss of Michelle. That might be a way.

I have noticed that in the last couple of years UP drops into a side-by-side 4-4-2 that really clogs the middle up when they have a lead. Whether it's intentional or just following the flow of the game I don't know, but we certainly have the personnel for it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:54 pm

I like the 4-4-2 with a diamond and it works well for UP with Keelin a natural in the holding mid spot. Also allows for wide mids and outside defenders to get forward a lot. Michelle O and Cloee are both good on the ball which is a huge help offensively.

Spain just won the (men's) world cup with a 4-5-1 or perhaps more accurately a 4-2-3-1. Sophie and Keelin are perfect in the Xavi Alonso and Busquets defensive mid roles: Dani is David Villa: all we need now are the Xavi and Iniesta players. But then most teams in the world are looking for that. All kidding aside UP does play that skillful possession style with Kendall, and two from Ellen Parker and Taylor Brooke and Sarah Bridges and Michelle Cruz and Kendra maybe in the threesome behind Dani.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next