Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recruit interested in Portland

+2
MesaPilot1
DTLegend
6 posters

Go down

Recruit interested in Portland Empty Recruit interested in Portland

Post by DTLegend Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:29 am

I know I haven't posted in a while, don't worry I've still been reading, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about a kid named Avery Johnson out of Ocean View High School in Huntington Beach California. ESPN has him currently at an 89 being the 64th best shooting guard in the country. he is 6'3" and 190 lbs. here is what ESPN has to say about him going back 2 and a half years.

January, 2010: Johnson is one of the better unsigned seniors in California and he's one of its most improved prospects as well. For three seasons he's been a solid blue-collar wing-type with a questionable jump shot. However, since the summer evaluation period he has definitely sharpened up his stroke. He gets nice lift on his jump shot and his release has become much smoother. He can nail it off the catch or hit the mid-range pull-up. He isn't overly explosive, but he has a knack of slashing to the basket. Defensively, he has solid lateral quickness and possesses the desire to shut down his opponent. Overall, look for Johnson to get heavily recruited at the mid-major level the next couple of months.

December, 2009: Johnson has always played with a high motor since his freshmen season and now his skills are catching up to that highly coveted energy level. He has improved in all facets of the game in the past few seasons, especially shooting. In the past he was always a tremendous slasher, rebounder, and defender-now he is showing signs of becoming a consistent shooter. He knocked down a number of mid-range jump shots, and a few threes as well. He is very potent at attacking the basket and he can really score in the mid-range area. Look for Johnson to end up in a mid-major program somewhere along the west coast during the spring signing period.

December, 2008: Johnson is one of the top sleepers in the west coast class of 2010. He is a rangy athlete with long arms and he has some bounce to him as well. His game is best described as blue-collar. He is that quintessential glue-type that does all the little things that makes his team successful. He is an outstanding rebounder who has the ability to lead the fast-break and deliver a nifty assist. He gets great lift on his jump shot and his release looks smooth, but his shot is shaky at best. Defensively, he utilizes his long arms and savvy to shut down opponents and his demeanor is outstanding.

November, 2007: Johnson is one of the more talented two-guard prospects in the west for his class. His frame is chiseled and he utilizes it well when taking defenders off the drive. He's a solid athlete with good quickness and speed, but strength is his major asset. His ball skills are better than average and he uses his left very well while finishing. His forte is slashing to the basket and once he gets a consistent jump shot (flat in its trajectory), he is going to be tough to stop. His court demeanor is excellent and he plays hard at both ends - has all the intangibles (quickness, length, and tenacity) to be a devastating defender one day.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Recruit interested in Portland Empty Re: Recruit interested in Portland

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks Purplepride13,

I am glad your still reading our post's. I believe I see you on Tv at every home game down the row from DJ Sherman. I know from talking to the guys they really apreciate all your guys support so keep it up.I know its harder this year without an outspoken "rowdy" like CLAY but keep it up.

He sounds like a great recruit and hopefully Rev has a good chance to "get him". Would'nt that be great Very Happy .

MesaPilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:14 pm

So we could have Turner Gill and Avery Johnson? All we need is a Don Baylor and we can have a (former) head coach from all three major sports.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:08 am

The ESPN site also shows him as being interested in UP. In fact, I don't want to get too excited too soon, but, it looks like we're the only school listed:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=53897&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d53897

Have we had a recruit with a score of 89 or higher? I can't think of any during Rev's time here. He might join TJ and Pooh as one of our best pointguards ever if he comes aboard...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Its good to hear, because on "SCOUTS' he names four different schools, but the Pilots are not among them. The good news is this is probably a later interest altogether.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Just a bump on the Avery Johnson situation from an article posted yesterday:

Johnson has offers from the University of the Pacific, University of Portland and UC Riverside. He said he’s also going on official visits to Oregon and USC later this month.

http://hbindependent.com/articles/2010/03/07/sports/hbi-spovfeature030410.txt
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down