Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara

+26
wyeast
FANatic
fozziewozzie
runner girl
SoreKnees
Harry Redknapp
'78 Alum
color me purple
slick
Ace
PilotPoser
Stonehouse
purple passion
merlogirl
KFTC
purple haze
onetouchfutbol
PurplePrideTrumpet
ShipstadPilot11
PilotNut
estplnr
eProf
UPSoccerFanatic
GUPhantom
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
30 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara Empty SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:47 pm

This is the big one, folks. SCU is a ranked team, and we absolutely need this win for a 1 seed.

Just for starters to get you thinking about the game, I'll remind people about the 8-0 score.

No, I'm not talking about today. I'm referring to the 10th anniversary of a game that's seared in my memory. We went down to Buck Shaw with a team starting 8 freshmen to face a veteran Bronco team and got pounded by that score. The experience was tempered by the fact those freshmen went on to win it all in 2002, but it hurt then. I remember Mandy Clemens wearing maroon and gold pompom streamers in her hair and doing cartwheels in front of Clive and the UP bench after each score. I remember Jerry keeping his starters in for all the goals, I remember Angela Harrison making a save and being hammered into the back of the net by an SCU player with no card.

Lots of memories.

I think it's time to return the favor on National TV (FSC 2:00 PM). I think they need some memories.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara Empty Re: SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara

Post by A_Fan Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:59 pm

Any chance the UP will be putting the game on a big screen somewhere on campus for us to watch this payback?
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara Empty Re: SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara

Post by GUPhantom Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:20 pm

I've heard the story but wasn't following the rivarly then. What was the precipice to all that Geez? Why was Jerry and SCU so brash that year? I've only observed mutual respect and classy hard-fought competitions against the Broncos. Something must've happened that made them want to rub it in? Did Clive have any comment on their antics?
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:56 pm

Ugh, I remember it well! Every Santa Clara game is big, and this one in particular. This is more of a "must win," as is the San Diego game, than any game I can remember.

PILOTS: HAVE FUN!

You Can Not Stop Us! We are the U of P!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:47 pm

GUPhantom wrote:I've heard the story but wasn't following the rivarly then. What was the precipice to all that Geez? Why was Jerry and SCU so brash that year? I've only observed mutual respect and classy hard-fought competitions against the Broncos. Something must've happened that made them want to rub it in? Did Clive have any comment on their antics?
Any chance the Pilots can change the time of the men's game that day, so that we don't have to choose between the two? The men are playing some nice soccer.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:03 pm

GUPhantom wrote:I've heard the story but wasn't following the rivarly then. What was the precipice to all that Geez? Why was Jerry and SCU so brash that year? I've only observed mutual respect and classy hard-fought competitions against the Broncos. Something must've happened that made them want to rub it in? Did Clive have any comment on their antics?
UP and SCU both broke onto the National scene about the same time (SCU a couple years earlier)

UP beat SCU in the tournament in '93, then took the next four WCC titles. By 1998 we had been to Four NCAA semi's in five years (a final in 1995) and had played the epic 4 overtime game with UNC the year before. In 1999 we were rebuilding and Jerry saw an opportunity, I guess.

Clive's comment was something on the order of "wasn't our day".
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara Empty Santa Clara

Post by estplnr Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:28 am

I am going to make it a quick day trip.......the two all time Pilot scorers are picking me up at the San Jose airpoirt...then head out for lunch at In'n Out....then over to Buck Shaw.....then back to the airport! Would NOT miss it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ed

estplnr
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:33 am

estplnr wrote:I am going to make it a quick day trip.......the two all time Pilot scorers are picking me up at the San Jose airpoirt...then head out for lunch at In'n Out....then over to Buck Shaw.....then back to the airport! Would NOT miss it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ed

Excellent! We expect a full report... and not just on the awesomeness of the In 'n Out burger. Smile
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:40 am

estplnr wrote:I am going to make it a quick day trip.......the two all time Pilot scorers are picking me up at the San Jose airpoirt...then head out for lunch at In'n Out....then over to Buck Shaw.....then back to the airport! Would NOT miss it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ed

WOW!

I didn't even know you knew Lorena LeGarde (2568) and Martha Sheldon (1953)...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:25 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:

WOW!

More impressive yet is that both are alive at the same time!
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:33 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:

WOW!

Maybe Jose Slaughter is a soccer fan.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:21 pm

SCU and ND are definitely our biggest rivals in my book. There are no teams that I enjoy beating more.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:52 pm

Time for me to find a SW Portland sports bar that has Fox Soccer Channel (assuming it won't be shown on campus).
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:20 pm

I feel NCAA Tournament Pilots v Notre Dame intensity coming on here for the next two weeks, even with SC away!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:17 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:SCU and ND are definitely our biggest rivals in my book. There are no teams that I enjoy beating more.
Speaking of which, isn't it about time for Larry to get with ND's AD again to schedule another series?

Eh, he's so smart he probably did that last week. jocolor
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:16 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
onetouchfutbol wrote:SCU and ND are definitely our biggest rivals in my book. There are no teams that I enjoy beating more.
Speaking of which, isn't it about time for Larry to get with ND's AD again to schedule another series?

Eh, he's so smart he probably did that last week. jocolor

How about the Nike tournament?

But, given the smack-down ND experienced in California this year, do you think they're anxious to return to the West Coast any time soon? Why try to build your RPI in the region whose teams outperform their RPI rankings far more than anywhere else? Look for them to go to Texas before they come here. Down there, they underperform more than anywhere else.

Just kidding ... sort of. Really it would be great to have an exchange.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:26 pm

They came out here and beat us 1-0 when I was in school. I also saw us earn a scoreless draw against UNC.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:14 pm

To be fair, the rivalry with Notre Dame is not as prevalent today as it was 10 years ago. All those players have graduated, and the two schools haven't played as much in the last 10 years as they did from 93-98; I am sure most of those players from back then hold that rivalry near and dear, but I would say the biggest rival of the Pilots of this era is UCLA.

Bringing the topic back to Santa Clara, there are few games more fun to watch than these matchups...UW is the only other one I can think of where the players and fans have a certain level of joy after winning those games, and an unending sense of gut-wrenching exasperation should the team lose. The 8-0 loss was...awful. No doubt about it, and I can't believe you brought it up, Geez. Wink Talk about opening old wounds; I remember everything you described and more, so I am happy and grateful the 2002 Pilots and their senior class were able to avenge themselves in the championship game. It should also be noted Portland had the opportunity to go for the jugular against Santa Clara these past few years when misfortune had befallen the Broncos, but if I recall correctly, the scorelines remained fairly respectable.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:01 pm

I remember last year's game at home against Santa Clara: it was televised and I got paid to stand at the end of the SCU bench holding a bubble mic. As I recall, it was Jessica's birthday and the Villa guys sang to her and she had 3 assists! That is a happier memory Smile
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara Empty Watch the game at Costellos

Post by merlogirl Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:55 am

I think the game is going to be playing at Costellos on NE Broadway. Its a pretty good place to watch soccer.

merlogirl
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:07 am

Santa Clara newspaper says 8 players are injured...that said, I agree to never underestimate the broncos.
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:19 am

merlogirl wrote:I think the game is going to be playing at Costellos on NE Broadway. Its a pretty good place to watch soccer.

NICE! Costello's Travel Cafe is a great place and is owned by an alum, Chris Costello. If it's true they are playing the game (and they do show a lot of soccer there), I would definitely recommend people to go there. Good food, cool place, and I'm sure plenty of Pilot fans! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:27 am

I sent Costello's an email from their website asking if they will be showing the game. I'll let you know what I hear from them.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotPoser Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:07 pm

I was reading the scouting report on Santa Clara's website and it said that Jenny LaPonte one of their starting outside backs has to sit this weekend because she has accumulated 5 yellow cards. To bad for her, good for us.

PilotPoser
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:53 pm

PilotPoser wrote:I was reading the scouting report on Santa Clara's website and it said that Jenny LaPonte one of their starting outside backs has to sit this weekend because she has accumulated 5 yellow cards. To bad for her, good for us.

Link to the report: Click here.

No mention of the 8 injuries in this Santa Clara newspaper article... where did you see that, Purple Passion?
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next