Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara

+26
wyeast
FANatic
fozziewozzie
runner girl
SoreKnees
Harry Redknapp
'78 Alum
color me purple
slick
Ace
PilotPoser
Stonehouse
purple passion
merlogirl
KFTC
purple haze
onetouchfutbol
PurplePrideTrumpet
ShipstadPilot11
PilotNut
estplnr
eProf
UPSoccerFanatic
GUPhantom
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
30 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara - Page 3 Empty Re: SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara

Post by runner girl Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:57 pm

The only game I've ever seen PSU play was at PGE Park, but that was a few years ago. I really do not enjoy playing on that turf myself (I doubt anyone does!).
Strasser is nice because it's so fast, but people who are used to nice grass fields probably wouldn't like it too much.

I took a class out at PCC Rock Creek one summer. I can't even picture where the field is. It's kind of a shame that a nice urban campus like PSU has to send their soccer game all the way out to the sticks for their home games.

Oh well, GO VIKS!

runner girl
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara - Page 3 Empty Re: SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara

Post by FANatic Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:05 pm

Halftime: 1 - 0 Pilots over Broncos.

Goal by Enyeart, assist Schmidt, 4th minute.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:12 pm

Portland: 1 Yellow (Winters) & 4 Fouls
Santa Clara: 1 Yellow (Vernon) & 9 Fouls

All in the first half. Is the game as physical as those stats indicate?
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by wyeast Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:00 pm

1-0 Portland - final.

all those shots by SC in the second half. Wish I could have watched it.

wyeast
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:09 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:Portland: 1 Yellow (Winters) & 4 Fouls
Santa Clara: 1 Yellow (Vernon) & 9 Fouls

All in the first half. Is the game as physical as those stats indicate?

there were some pretty good hits, yeah.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:27 pm

Well officiated game, though, at least from my couch.

I didn't think that the Pilots played particularly well in the first half. Kind of ragged in the midfield, and we lost almost everything in the air. Yet they created three excellent chances, one of which they finished. Foxhoven had a brilliant free kick from 20 go off the inside of the top corner and Chandhoke missed a gimme header from 5 off a great cross.

Fewer good chances in the second half, but I felt like we had more control through the midfield. Keelin really stepped up her game in the second half and we started winning the 50/50 balls and keeping possession for longer periods.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:53 pm

Danielle also had the keeper one on one and didn't score in the first half. It could have been 4-0 at the half, but we were not that much better. I would guess SC probably had more shots, but ours were much more dangerous.

I didn't think we looked sharp, but it's a win, on the road.

Was anyone else annoyed (I get annoyed easily) by the announcers, who spent maybe half the game talking to guests and not announcing the game? They hardly announced any subs. The same thing happened in the UCLA-USC game. I wanted to watch Ohai, but they never announced which player she was.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:03 pm

I went to the viewing Party at Costello's Cafe - pretty nice venue full of Pilot fans.

Mercifully, the sound was turned down (or off, depending on where you were sitting.)

I don't think anyone missed the drivel.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:03 pm

Tough game in every sense of the word. Very ggod win on the road - Pilots started strong and then shut up shop in the final quarter of the game - and did so pretty effectively. SCU had one real chance to pull level.

Garrett went witht he same starting XI as recently. No subs until deep in the half when Hallie came on for Dani and Chareny for Kendra.

Pilots scored on a diving header from Michelle E after a Sophie shot from 30-35 yards was deflected onto the bar by the SCU keeper. As reposrted above Dani hit a beautiful free kick from outside the box which hit the bar and bounced down and out, Kendra had a header that missed the t=front post by a foot or so, Dani was one on one with the GK who parried with her feet, and was also just unable to steer a high cross on goal in the final seconds of the half. UP played the better soccer and had the chances in the first half.

Second half was more even; in the final 20 minutes UP was playing prevent defense and possession football.

It was rough and tumble: Keelin got a yellow card for pulling somone down; and then one of their players was carded for a forearm shiver to Keelin's head. Another SCU player was lucky not to see yellow for acleats up challenge (on Kendra I think). Overall it was what you'd expect from these two teams going against each other.

A very solid all around game from the team: every player did their part. They all made some important plays, and most all of them made some mistakes too. No real suprise there but not the time to call out individuals on either the positive or negative - just a tough effective win against #14.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:05 pm

Fan

I'll give credit to SCU for blunting some of the sharpness, although there were some uncharacteristic errant passes.

The announcers were very annoying. Too much talk show and not enough soccer.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Harry Redknapp wrote:Fan

I'll give credit to SCU for blunting some of the sharpness, although there were some uncharacteristic errant passes.

The announcers were very annoying. Too much talk show and not enough soccer.

I thought the entry passes in particular were off target. It seemed like passer and receiver were on different pages as to whether it was going to be run-onto-a through-ball or an entry pass. As you say, a lot of that was due to good defensive pressure, which we probably haven't seen in a while.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Poopdeck Pappy Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:55 pm

This was an excellent result on the road in a playoff type of game. I'm happy that we came out on top. This game was a good test and should serve us well when we see similarly tough matchups in the later playoff rounds.
Poopdeck Pappy
Poopdeck Pappy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Poopdeck Pappy Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:59 pm

One of SCU's biggest threats were Bosio's throw-ins. Because she could throw it 25 yards, all of the throw-ins that were deep in our end were like corner kicks.
Poopdeck Pappy
Poopdeck Pappy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Poopdeck Pappy Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:06 pm

I don't think that it was wise of Jerry Smith to put in all of his seniors at the start of the game rather than his regular starters. We took advantage of that and got our score early. Maybe he could have subbed his seniors late in the game if SCU was ahead or behind by a couple of goals and the outcome no longer in question.
Poopdeck Pappy
Poopdeck Pappy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:22 pm

How cool that Enyeart scored on a header this time -- she's a wizard with her feet and almost always scores that way. Also great that Sophie wound up and really drilled the shot that led to the header -- Pilots have some powerful shooters who can crack them from longer distance. I like to see some longer shots mixed in with the passing game to keep the keeper honest, force the defense to react and sometimes create nice rebounds.

The GOOD part of the visitors in the annoncers booth was the chance to hear Christine Sinclair and Tiffeny M. talk about the UP-SC rivalry. The guy hawking Mondo Turf was beyond aggravating, tho.

PCC Rock Creek has several turf fields as best I know, having seen a lot of youth classic games out there over the past couple of years.

One more big game Friday to seal the deal against San Diego!
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by slick Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:48 pm

HELLO Pilot Nation . . . .

Finally back home after THE MATCH at S.C. and the bridge-shutdown-problem-induced drive back up to the Wine Country . . .

But all very worth it . . for the first Lady Pilot win at the Santa Clara pitch since 1997 . . .

Somewhat disappointed with the turnout today . . both sides . . . . . . and with fantastic weather--of course maybe that was a reason . .

This was definitely a match (close, hard-fought) the Ladies needed--not another "5-0 rout with twenty-to-two shots" . . . ...with the NCAA tournament coming up we are fortunate to finish league with challenging opponents . . today was a well-officiated, very physical match . . . both sides probing and attacking when the opportunities arose; playing hard-nosed defense as needed . .

All the Pilots played very well AND very hard . . . . as did the Broncos, who can only tonight lament their chance to really MAKE their season . . but with regard to the UP side . . must say that my 'personal' player of the game today was #16 Jessica on defense . . . always in position . . making the correct pass . . making the stop . . not surrendering the outside for a scoring chance . . making the long pass upfield to launch our attack . . in short, steady and dependable play . . . . NO MISTAKES! Good job 16!

Watch out San Diego . . UP is ready!

slick
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:02 am

Here is a link to a few photos I took at Costello's this afternoon. It was a fun place to watch a game, good food and a pretty fair beer selection (no Pliny's though). The place was nearly full with Pilot fans. The password to the photos is: pilots

http://public.fotki.com/jeffsbro/college_cup_2005/

Feel free to look at the other Pilot photos if you wish.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:18 am

That link won't work for me without a password...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:34 am

onetouchfutbol wrote:That link won't work for me without a password...

A_Fan wrote:The password to the photos is: pilots

Cool
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:35 am

I was very happy with how the Pilots played. As Garrett said at the half, the most important thing was preserving the lead. I think that was the Pilots' main focus once they scored the goal. They had a bad period in the middle portion of the first half, I thought, but regained their composure towards the end of the half and were well composed in the second half. In the second half, they had some quite long periods of possession. I also think I heard someone calling out to Hallie from the bench, when she was spending a lot of effort (and losing the ball) trying to attack, "Hallie, think defense!" After that, she spent her effort helping the team kill the clock. I think this showed a good evolution, as playing to protect a lead was not one of the Pilots' strengths earlier in the season and as the competition gets stiffer and stiffer, it's something a good team needs to be able to do.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

SCU game, or Never, EVER underestimate Santa Clara - Page 3 Empty Santa Clara match

Post by estplnr Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:13 pm

The outcome made the quick one day trip worth it.......but it was NOT pretty. Someone earlier said something about the 'crowd'......I actually think Pilot fans outnumbered the home fans!! The goal was cool and doubt that the regular SC keeper could have stopped it!!!

estplnr
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Poopdeck Pappy Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:49 pm

But all very worth it . . for the first Lady Pilot win at the Santa Clara pitch since 1997 . . .

This quote says it all. A win at Buck Shaw, even an ugly win, is something to be extremely happy about. Even Christine Sinclair was never able to pull off a win at the SCU pitch during her illustrious career at UP. Way to go, Pilots!!!
Poopdeck Pappy
Poopdeck Pappy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:01 pm

No such thing as an ugly win in the playoffs. I actually think the schedule worked out great for us this year, with SCU and USD coming at the end. These will be great preparation for the postseason.

slick wrote:must say that my 'personal' player of the game today was #16 Jessica on defense . . . always in position . . making the correct pass . . making the stop . . not surrendering the outside for a scoring chance . . making the long pass upfield to launch our attack . . in short, steady and dependable play . . . . NO MISTAKES! Good job 16!
Pretty much what I say about her every week.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:38 am

I think I was watching a different game than the a few of the other posters.

What I saw was a lackluster Pilot performance. I will elect not to point out any individual players performances as to not offend the (only ra ra, go Pilots!) wishes of many Pilot Nation members.

I saw a number of players that did not perform even close to what we have seen in the past games. I saw many unnecessary Pilot giveaways and random boot balls. The Pilots are missing the strength of last years center mid. The lineup in the center is strong and physical and that has its benefits. I noticed a lot of 'fast walking' happening to 'somewhat' be part of the play. (In soccer, when players move to new positions that require more hustle, the habits of the prior position sometime linger on)

Chances are good that the Pilot Team and coaches want to win a championship more than any Pilot Nation fans do. The team, playing like they did on Sunday will most likely not be a contender.

What I saw was a sloppy soccer game somewhat reminiscent of how I played in high school.

Just because it was a great sunny day and on national TV did not make it a good game.

Like the loss in Texas, this will be a good learning experience for the team.

I am confident in this team and it's championship journey.

Trenchcoat.

PS- What about the interview with the guy promoting his AstroTurf? Give me a break. That field and turf can't even hold a candle to Merlo field. All soccer fans must support the grass seed companies to continue to build "REAL' soccer fields and not some lame High tech super astro turf. Gee, lets get astro turf at Merlo! Yikes!
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by slick Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:06 am

Let us be perfectly clear: the side the Lady Pilots faced yesterday was the REAL lady broncos--physical, talented, aggressive; and blessed with stamina and endurance--a challenge equal to what UP will see in the NCAA tourney . . . . . because we did not outscore some outmatched opponent by a six-to-nil tally is not a "lackluster" performance . . . . (in my VERY humble and uninformed opinion . . . .)

slick
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next