Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots vs NAU gameday thread

+19
wrv
A_Fan
Harry Redknapp
fozziewozzie
UPSoccerFanatic
SoreKnees
Trenchcoat Wally
PurplePrideTrumpet
decrink
purple haze
PilotNut
DaTruRochin
Geezaldinho
fan from afar
Auto Pilot
Stonehouse
ohhh_yeah
PilotDrummer
aleppiek
23 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Pilots vs NAU gameday thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Pilots vs NAU gameday thread

Post by aleppiek Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:34 am

The shot by Megan in the first half just off the corner of the 18 yd box that narowly missed the upper V, I had a perfect angle to watch, and let me say that shot was FILTHY, it knuckled sooo hard, it started out well to the left and faded... with ZERO spin mind you just high... Megan reminded me a lot tonight of what we saw in 2005 against ND at Merlo... now if she could just deke the keeper ala Enyeart, she would have had 3 maybe 4 goals... she is just a hair off on chipping the keeper on those.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:55 am

I agree. Great shot. It must have had spin to dive back to the right the way it did, though. And I think she hit it with the right foot, so perhaps with the outside of the foot to get that left-to-right action? If so, it was doubly amazing to get that kind of pace and action with the outside. Anybody with a replay or in a different part of the stadium that can get a different view?
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:45 am

I was sitting behind the goal for that one. I think the bleacher is dented.
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:01 am

My seatmates and I were in awe of that shot. She just blasted it and the ball danced like a big league knuckleball.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:13 am

I recall Megan scoring against ND from ten yards or so outside the box in the 2005 championship year--though that shot against ND ultimately found the goal, on a relatively poor play by the ND goalie, the shot last night seemed to have a bit more pace and a great deal more movement. However you get that kind of hard slice on the ball, it truly awed the crowd. Megan might well have enjoyed the buzz of discussion and hand gestures imitating the flight of the ball. Am I wrong, but did the ball seem to drift slightly left before the hard turn right? If so, it would have had to knuckle . . .If the shot had not been just high, the goalie would have only been left to spectate with the crowd.

I have not read all the comments, so if I am repititve, sorry. I thought the NAU goalie played one heck of a game. Megan Rapinoe is a force on the field--she truly is dangerous and will be a difficult loss for the Pilots. The cross to Sophie could not have been placed better.

Pray tell, can a team from Texas play/win without its coach? I arrived last night for the last few minutes of the Texas/WSU game and was amazed at how exercised the Texas coaching staff was--with each stoppage by the Ref, an emotional burst would come from the coach . . .Never seen that kind of outburst at Merlo--short of criminal conduct, I cannot imagine what it
would it take to get Garret to do that . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1422
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:42 am

The starters got plenty of rest, as much as they can with our limited # of available bodies.

I particularly watched the movements of our players both with and without the ball. OK, I must admit I did take a few extra looks at the NAU goalie and her good looking legs! And on that tawdy issue, I miss not only Kendra’s skills on the field, but also watching her legs.

Back on task. Several of our players move instinctively without the ball when we are in possession. The ball moves somewhere, they move into a gap in the defense to receive a pass, or head wide down the sideline for a lead, or storm to the front of the goal to receive a possible cross. Some players create opportunities with their movements when others have the ball. For others those moves don’t seem to come so easily or instinctively.

Now before I mention names and you all blackball me, I am NOT pointing out mistakes. I am making some observations. And yes, I am aware that sitting on my behind in the stands does not give me better vision or insight than anyone else, especially not better than players on the field.

Two players than don’t seem to have the instinctive moves that create opportunities, both for themselves and others, are Sara Jackman and Janelle Jacka. Both play conservatively when they have the ball, playing within their skill and comfort level, and that is fine. It is their movements when someone else on our team has the ball that I am commenting on. Sometimes it is their lack of movement, or not filling a gap to get open to receive a pass, or not running ahead to receive a pass, or not pulling their defender away from the person with the ball to give them room to maneuver.

Sara has primarily been a defensive midfielder until this year, so having a sizeable role in the offense is a bit of change for her. If she remains in the wide mid-fielder role, I expect her confidence and instinctive movements will grow with her experience. And Janelle continues to make progress. Neither of these players is a liability; I am just pointing out an area in which I think they can grow.

Perhaps better than “instinct” is to think Carly Simon or Heinz ketchup. Anticipation! Where is the ball going, how can I get open, which way is my team mate going to cut, etc.

Change of subject: I attended the game with a friend, his daughter, and grand-daughter. They are all from Idaho and have met Halley, so they were thrilled with her goals.

Last edited by UPWomenSoccerRookie on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:55 am

wrv wrote:
I have not read all the comments, so if I am repititve, sorry. I thought the NAU goalie played one heck of a game. Megan Rapinoe is a force on the field--she truly is dangerous and will be a difficult loss for the Pilots. The cross to Sophie could not have been placed better.

Pray tell, can a team from Texas play/win without its coach? I arrived last night for the last few minutes of the Texas/WSU game and was amazed at how exercised the Texas coaching staff was--with each stoppage by the Ref, an emotional burst would come from the coach . . .Never seen that kind of outburst at Merlo--short of criminal conduct, I cannot imagine what it
would it take to get Garret to do that . . .

The NAU keeper did have a huge game. It could have been much, much worse, like the Tennessee game last year. And the Timbers supporters I stood with were impressed with how well the Pilots pass and move.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:11 am

The Oregonian mentions the NAU goalie's fabulous work last night!! Her name is Tori Rocke! And...she's just a freshman!!!

Yes. The final score was 6-1...but she had one of the best performances I've seen at Merlo from an opposing goalie. Wow! She stopped so so many 1 on 1s!!! In the beginning of the game...I was saying to myself..."ohh...ohh...here comes another sure Pilot goal!" But...towards the end...I was saying to myself..."MAYBE... the Pilots will get this 1 on 1 break by her". Case in point....Halley's last goal? I wasn't sure she'd get it....until she was by Tori! I was sitting in Section L! I also witnessed a couple of the unbelievable 1:1 stops on Megan's attacks!

UPWSR...I didn't notice her legs...but I did NOTICE her fantastic stops! I guess I'm not a leg man...that's weird...considering the game is soccer!! Shocked

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:22 am

I read the game story. Bo Herzog got it wrong.

The chant was, "Call the sheriff! This is murder!" Hope that clears things up.

On this board, I only know Drummer, ohhh_yeah, and Platapus, who I introduced myself to last night. I did meet some of the TalkTimbers guys, too.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:09 pm

Pilots vs NAU gameday thread - Page 3 3032883256_40dbc75ed2

Pilots vs NAU gameday thread - Page 3 3032046149_70495e18e8

Pilots vs NAU gameday thread - Page 3 3032888400_4f3474c9e3

Pilots vs NAU gameday thread - Page 3 3032049853_8f279f1caa
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by decrink Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:53 pm

SoreKnees wrote:I agree. Great shot. It must have had spin to dive back to the right the way it did, though.

I had a coach that always countered with, "Great shots go in".
decrink
decrink
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:55 pm

Point well taken!
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:19 pm

This is what makes Megan R. stand out as a leader: NAU scores, somehow, against all odds, and cuts the Pilots' lead to 3-1. Like poking a hornet's nest with a stick it only caused NAU trouble. Megan marched her team down the field and 90 seconds later passed to Sophie for goal 4. Megan did the same thing vs. the Ducks this fall -- after the only UO goal, leading the charge the other way, ramming the ball right back at the foe and turning the momentum toward UP. Her entire body language and actions say, "Don't even think you can win, because you can't stop us."

Their short bench and relative youth did not hurt the Pilots in this game, even with 5 UP frosh on the field for a long stretch.

6 goals in the NCAA tournament is a ton -- more than we'll see again, I'd bet. It only gets harder from here on.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:08 pm

Pilots vs NAU gameday thread - Page 3 3032120633_962e936b62

Pilots vs NAU gameday thread - Page 3 3032962722_50a48eebd7
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:56 pm

off topic a bit:

anybody know what the melee was about after the match??? campus security, police cars, ambulances, & fire trucks...
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:01 pm

I'm sure Petruccelli was in the middle of it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:11 pm

Its funny, that Purple Haze mentions Megan propping the team back up after NAU's goal.... I turned to my wife after that goal and said... "we'll score in the next 3 minutes'... guess I underestimated Megan's will.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:12 pm

I heard there were some rogue drummers hiding in the rafters of the Chiles Center and wouldn't come down.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:19 pm

It wasn't a melee. Awful accident. Someone got pinned between 2 cars.
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:22 pm

I have taken to givin Megan R the title "Leonides from Spartica". Only this time in history we will win out against the great unwashed.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:25 pm

GUPhantom wrote:It wasn't a melee. Awful accident. Someone got pinned between 2 cars.

Sad
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:26 pm

we wondered about that too as all the emergency vehicles passed on our way out.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:27 pm

at some points last night it was impossible to take photos... those metal bleachers really bounce up and down with all of those fans jumping on them...

Pilots vs NAU gameday thread - Page 3 3032416997_c0918bf1bb

Pilots vs NAU gameday thread - Page 3 3033262080_31ee0d5bfa
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:40 pm

About the post-game scene in the parking lot: A UP official walking past me was saying into his radio, "Someone got hit by a car in the parking lot."
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Megan hit her big shot with her right foot. Hardest shot I've ever seen a Pilot hit.

By far Hallie's best game that I've seen. I think she's back from her hammy, plus some. It's the first time I've really seen her ability to play with finesse. Very impressive, and can you imagine her running full speed into an opposing player? "Oops, I just got flattened by a steam roller."

Regarding Janelle, I think she must by nature be a pretty careful person. I think she's always exactly where she should be according to "the book." That's why she has a number of goals as a Pilot. She's always at the far corner on crossing balls. It also may be why she doesn't show the creativity of some of the other players. Her crosses also have improved greatly. I think she's a great young woman who has worked really hard to maximize what she can do.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next