Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey?

+13
decrink
Stonehouse
KFTC
A_Fan
PurplePrideTrumpet
Rochin54
DaTruRochin
ohhh_yeah
Auto Pilot
SoreKnees
PilotDrummer
aleppiek
Trenchcoat Wally
17 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey? - Page 4 Empty Re: NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey?

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:13 pm

UPDATE: Tonight, the Villans were made Portland's "band" and were allowed to play before and after the match, at halftime, and during timeouts ( Mad *)cheers

*Refers to the idea of timeouts in soccer, not the drummers. When will Americans quit screwing with laws the rest of the world is fine with?
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey? - Page 4 Empty Re: NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey?

Post by KFTC Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:38 pm

Hey, without the media timeouts, the game wouldn't be broadcast on TV. So while it's kind of a damper on the flow, they are short enough for both teams to catch the rhythm again quickly. Until someone is willing to pay enough money for UP to be on TV without media timeouts, I'm okay with the brief breaks. Anything to keep 'em on TV and available to everyone who tune in!
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:19 am

Sure it could be on without timeouts. I have a hard time believing Comcast couldn't insert ads next to the score and time graphic as ESPN does (although I'm sure there will be media timeouts in its College Cup coverage).

I guess one disadvantage to college soccer is most fields aren't set up for advertising boards around the field. If those could be put up for TV games it might make up for the lack of opportunities for commercials.

I'm not OK with timeouts in soccer. I don't think I ever will be.

But I guess we all have to deal with it. It's not as big a deal to me as it seems, and this is really the only thing that bothered me about tonight, which is a good sign.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:27 am

In South America they have those electronic billboards around the field, and those are pretty expensive, I'll wager. They might be worth it if you could schedule the sponsorship ahead of time, but there are only three or four days to organize the whole deal from the time of the seeding announcements and the games. That probably includes a day or two just to make the tv deal with the station.

They also do popups on the screen for sponsors in South America. I gotta say the popups are pretty annoying. the two minute time out is better.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:00 am

For sure, I've even seen games where ads are kind of superimposed on to the field... its just kind of awkward but if it gets rid of the wretched media timeout.... I just chuckled and had to say "only in the U.S. would something like this happen" Sigh...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:18 am

TV timeouts bug me big time! Wait until the day comes (hopefully never) if we are behind and having a surge in play to possibly take control of the match and a TV timeout is called. Then see how we all feel about it. Funny how we all talk about the drums and noise that might disturb a game but the NCAA allows the game to just be STOPPED! Unbelievable! Just let the game play on, keep the cameras rolling and if there is a goal then it can be shown on the return. Give me a break, this isn't the NASL. It's College soccer. The game should NEVER be stopped during a NCAA tournament. Not for NBC ABC or a FOX or Comcast.
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:19 am

During the second half last night Emma Nelson let a ball get out of bounds so she could quickly throw in when we had a clear advantage. And that my friends is when the 2nd half media timeout happened.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:46 am

DaTruRochin wrote:For sure, I've even seen games where ads are kind of superimposed on to the field... its just kind of awkward but if it gets rid of the wretched media timeout.... I just chuckled and had to say "only in the U.S. would something like this happen" Sigh...

But I'll give FIFA credit: The ads in international matches are put down behind the goal lines because the Laws are very clear: Nothing on the pitch except the required markings, including club crests, etc. When schools (or the NCAA) paint logos or names on the pitch it looks tacky to me. What, is that in case you forgot where you're playing? Laughing

Trenchcoat Wally gets a +1.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by decrink Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:45 am

I have reconciled the TV timeouts this way: I think of them as an injury stoppage. The injury is to the psyche of soccer purists everywhere.
decrink
decrink
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:26 pm

Luddites.....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:10 pm

The drummers were awesomely well-behaved (at least from where I sat on the other side of the pitch) and a vital part of the playff atmosphere vs. NAU. Long may they drum.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:34 pm

Hey, I wasn't defending the media timeouts...I was just saying I get why they are necessary. It's a step in the right direction to getting more local soccer on TV. If you think about it...wasn't Portland the only team to broadcast their first round game (and probably the second)? If Comcast needs to offset the cost of production, or the NCAA needs that revenue (however small it may be) to offset the cost of us hosting, then fine--an extra 4 minutes for ad time isn't going to kill the team; it doesn't help, but it doesn't hurt either. Right now, Portland has the benefit of a team with a decent bench and the capacity to sustain momentum through the 2 minute break.

However, 10 years ago I don't think you would have found a Portland fan watching the Pilots play UNC in the Final Four who wasn't grateful for that little breather in the middle of the halves when UNC was subbing on new players at the rate Petrucelli gets red cards and Portland had more staff on the bench than players.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:38 pm

KFTC wrote:Portland had more staff on the bench than players.
That gives me a what-if fantasy: Coach Smith: "Sari, Hanson -- take off those warm-ups and get ready to play!"

Ever notice how soccer coaches are so much more fit and healthy-looking than the average football coach?
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:43 pm

Thats because in football they want you to gain so much weight and while you are playing/lifting you just look big. But take away the work outs and you get some big lugs.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:43 pm

The UT Web site says that Sunday's match will be on Comcast in Oregon and Washington. I can't find anything on the UP site yet.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:50 pm

KFTC wrote:Portland had more staff on the bench than players.

Another thing we were wondering about...who (Geezer) knows how many are allowed to travel with a team? The UT sideline was packed last night.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:53 pm

The Comcast TV listing site shows the Texas game preceded by a rebroadcast of the NAU game.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:48 am

Trenchcoat Alert! - NCAA top priority investigation!

Floating bubbles new top priority for NCAA soccer investigation.

It was noticed (during the TV time out) that bubbles were being launched across the pitch. It has been proven that a bubble can pop near- or in an eye of a player and cause a soapy eye blink, possibly causing a headed ball to smash into the nose of that player. All NCAA rules will be re-written to capture this new and perplexing rule.

To the great Don Ho!

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey? - Page 4 480467-music-resized200

Last edited by Trenchcoat Wally on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey? - Page 4 Empty Comcast broadcast

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:26 am

Now I'm really confused. The comcast website shows the game at 2:00 preceeded by the NAU rebroadcast at noon.

But I just watched the UP-UW game this morning (Pilots win! - had to make sure Very Happy ), and they were saying the game would be at 1:00 on TV.

So- you are on your own, TV watchers.

As for me, I'll be the lunatic in Purple ringing the cowbell up in te cushy seats (oops, did I say that?).
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4