Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey?

+13
decrink
Stonehouse
KFTC
A_Fan
PurplePrideTrumpet
Rochin54
DaTruRochin
ohhh_yeah
Auto Pilot
SoreKnees
PilotDrummer
aleppiek
Trenchcoat Wally
17 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey? - Page 2 Empty Re: NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey?

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Nov 11 2008, 15:27

I keep wishing he would get wiped out by a linebacker whenever I see him.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey? - Page 2 Empty Re: NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey?

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Nov 11 2008, 15:28

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:I keep wishing he would get wiped out by a linebacker whenever I see him.
How about someone gunning down the sideline on a punt return?
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Nov 11 2008, 15:49

He was right down in front of us for much of the game, I was hoping Wally Pilot would come out and bop him one, but it never happened.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Nov 11 2008, 15:50

Speaking of which, we need a new mascot.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 11 2008, 15:51

aleppiek wrote:Yeah that was borderline NSFW.

Hahaha i get the sentiment, but not exactly the picture I would have rolled with either...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Tue Nov 11 2008, 15:52

That damn leprechaun. He's been known to taunt the Portland players during games, at least during the intense rivalry of the 90's. There was an incident at a team hotel once...I believe it probably took a lot of will power for the players to restrain themselves from beating him down.

Though now, I don't think the Portland-Notre Dame rivalry is as intense as it used to be. Thoughts? I'd say 00's hated opponent is UCLA. Santa Clara is, of course, the obvious as the conference rival.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Tue Nov 11 2008, 15:52

As I scrolled through I had to make sure noone important walked by my cube... been fast scrolling through this thread since.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Nov 11 2008, 15:55

As far as hated... There is no love lost for the other purple team up north.... even if they haven't been overly competitive in a while

Haha I'm not on a work computer and I still feel like I should look over my back before scrolling down... Shocked
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Nov 11 2008, 16:00

That damn leprachaun...... HATE that stupid thing. I remember watching the College Cup games in Buckley or wherever and all the fans would boo when he showed up on the big screen.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Tue Nov 11 2008, 16:20

Being of Celtic descent I always thought the term "fighting irish" was redundant.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Tue Nov 11 2008, 16:21

About the equivalent of "Fighting Sioux" in political correctness, but somehow no one ever hassles them.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Tue Nov 11 2008, 16:52

From the NCAA rules------

Trenchcoat Wally wrote:
The use of trampolines, stunts more than two persons high, “basket tosses” and cheerleader flips is not permitted.

Rats- I was looking forward to a 'Tripple Lindy leap' from the Chiles Center to the field after we score.

For those of you who don't know the Triple Lindy Jump.......

Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Nov 11 2008, 18:46

Ha ha... oh man, that's from "Back to School", right? Haven't seen that in a while... a classic!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Tue Nov 11 2008, 21:57

DaTruRochin wrote:
aleppiek wrote:Yeah that was borderline NSFW.

Hahaha i get the sentiment, but not exactly the picture I would have rolled with either...

now that most have seen it i have deleted from the thread...
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Wed Nov 12 2008, 07:36

...now that we're on page three.

No big deal.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.

Back to top Go down

Post by decrink Wed Nov 12 2008, 08:55

I've read through the posts and the NCAA rules and Ritmo Piloto CANNOT be banned from playing. In fact, if they arrive "in uniform" they should have free admittance. They cannot play during play but can during half, game breaks (TV timeouts, after goals). The use of cowbells is allowed as they are not amplified devices (more cowbell). I think RP needs to FIGHT for their right to play and not roll over to administration's incorrect interpretation of the rules. C'mon boys, where's your fighting college spirit?
decrink
decrink
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Wed Nov 12 2008, 09:13

I would think that The Villa Drum Squad would be working with the Athletic Department to do it the right way. And I would think that Athletics would do whatever they could to make it possible for them to play.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Wed Nov 12 2008, 10:27

RP isn't the current group of players, but I think aleppiek hit it right on the head. Villa should be working with Athletics to MAKE IT HAPPEN.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Wed Nov 12 2008, 12:25

Here is another point of view. After years of being overlooked (intentionally ignored, screwed by the NCAA) I think we should be careful to abide by the intent and spirit of the playoff rules and not give the NCAA a reason to take away our hosting privileges in future years. Remember we got a number two seed this year and unlike last year we got to host.

I think someone heard us crying foul. Lets make Merlo the logical hosting site for the Northwest for years to follow.

Now having said that. Lets do all we can to let the students and fans make some noise. That means it should not fall on the shoulders of Villa to do all the noise work. Time for the crowd to pipe up even more than normal. Those of you, like me that like to watch the games quietly will have to join in and CHEER.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Wed Nov 12 2008, 12:29

I don't think the committee is to blame for our non hosting... it is that our neighbors to the north actually performed well enough to be a hosting partner this year, which they had not done in the past.

The committee is simply going by the guidelines that have been set forth for them, regardless how screwy those guidelines are.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Nov 12 2008, 14:50

aleppiek wrote:I don't think the committee is to blame for our non hosting... it is that our neighbors to the north actually performed well enough to be a hosting partner this year, which they had not done in the past.

The committee is simply going by the guidelines that have been set forth for them, regardless how screwy those guidelines are.
Yep. Last season I think it was Buzz who said the committee has to follow rules that are made for them by a group one or two levels up on the organizational chart.

It's highly possible the committee doesn't like shipping seeds out, but they have to make the bracket according to the procedures in place. Think back to UW football's loss to BYU: Maybe official didn't personally like the rule against celebrating, but the Washington QB did something clearly prohibited by the rule so it had to be penalized.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Wed Nov 12 2008, 14:53

From the Pilot website---

For the first time in four years, the University of Portland women’s soccer team has been rewarded with home field advantage in the opening rounds of the NCAA playoffs.

Auto----I think enough groveling has been done by this press release saying that we were "rewarded". Whomever penned that release was most likely thinking, "It's about time!" The whole "rewarded" thing sounds to me like something you do for a dog. Like a treat for being good. Or a reward for a kid that cleans his room. Soccer is not golf, "shhhhh, he's going to hit it now' or tennis, "time to be quite for Andre's serve" Soccer is the worlds most popular sport for a reason. Because the fans are part of the game. Many College players go on to play pro. College is a training ground for the world soccer stage.

I wonder why the rules don't state that people can't yell? I've heard many things yelled at players to throw them off of their game that are much worse than a cowbell a clanging.
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by decrink Wed Nov 12 2008, 21:52

That's it. I'm bringing a cowbell.
decrink
decrink
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Nov 12 2008, 21:58

DO IT!!!

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey? - Page 2 Cowbell

Just look out for this:

NCAA noise rule for sports (drums)- What the hey? - Page 2 Publicsafety
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Nov 13 2008, 09:10

Trenchcoat Wally wrote:
Auto----I think enough groveling has been done by this press release saying that we were "rewarded". Whomever penned that release was most likely thinking, "It's about time!" The whole "rewarded" thing sounds to me like something you do for a dog...

I totally agree Wally. We "earned" the right to host the first two rounds in 2005, 2006 and 2007. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't 16 of the 64 teams in the tourney host the first two rounds? The Pilots are regularly among the top 5 or 6 teams in the nation, and sometimes at or near the top. There is actually no excuse for the Pilots not hosting the first two rounds every single year.

Anything else is just convoluted B.S. by the NCAA. They have their reasons and rules. But they're very misguided in my opinion. I've simply never heard of anything like this in any sport I've ever followed.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next