Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title!

+24
Harry Redknapp
Poopdeck Pappy
harryb
KFTC
DaTruRochin
Trenchcoat Wally
purplehaze
SoreKnees
Shadrach
decrink
onetouchfutbol
SciFi
ninjapizza
GUPhantom
purple haze
Stonehouse
tamservo
aleppiek
FANatic
PurplePrideTrumpet
Auto Pilot
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
gousd
28 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 5 Empty Re: USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title!

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Thanks KFTC -- guess i didn't even know how to use the darn chatbox.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 5 Empty Re: USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title!

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:35 pm

hi poopdeck pappy
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:38 pm

Poopdeck: your fave Korie N just knocked in a header -- Pilots up 2-1
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:43 pm

And Kellin knocked in another a minute later, Pappy.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:55 pm

For the record, since most chatters seem to have moved to Chatbox, it's 4-1 with Halley K scoring from Enyeart.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:59 pm

That's all, folks! The WCC champions for 2008: Your University of Portland Pilots!
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:08 pm

Good day for the state today:

Pilot W Basketball beat Eastern Ore.
Ducks beat Stanford
Beavers beat UCLA
Blazers beat Minnesota
Pilots beat USD

(and I woke up to find out Arsenal beat Man Utd.)
YOU CANNOT STOP US! WE ARE THE U OF P!
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 5 Empty Huh?

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:46 pm

Box score stats are very confusing.

Enyeart credited with 3rd goal but never shown as subbing in.
Schmidt creidted with assist on 4th goal when she is shown to have subbed out.

May have to wait until report s tomorrow.

Recap on Pilots website appears to be based off bogus box score data.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:47 pm

USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 5 283610121_469825698c_o
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:55 pm

Gametracker (final)

Schmidt (Foxhoven),
Nicholson (Rapinoe),
Winters (Schmidt),
Kreminski (Schmidt).

Portlandpilots box

2. 53:21 POR SCHMIDT, Sophie FOXHOVEN, Danielle Bounced off far post and in to net
3. 73:10 POR NICHOLSON, Korie RAPINOE, Megan Header off of corner in to net
4. 74:02 POR ENYEART, Michelle SCHMIDT, Sophie
5. 85:38 POR KREMINSKI, Halley SCHMIDT, Sophie

Portlandpilots story says Enyeart got the third
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:06 am

Geezaldinho wrote:USD vs. Portland for the WCC Title! - Page 5 283610121_469825698c_o
Very Happy
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:26 am

That is weird, given what we saw on GameTracker.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:21 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Gametracker (final)

Schmidt (Foxhoven),
Nicholson (Rapinoe),
Winters (Schmidt),
Kreminski (Schmidt).

Portlandpilots box

2. 53:21 POR SCHMIDT, Sophie FOXHOVEN, Danielle Bounced off far post and in to net
3. 73:10 POR NICHOLSON, Korie RAPINOE, Megan Header off of corner in to net
4. 74:02 POR ENYEART, Michelle SCHMIDT, Sophie
5. 85:38 POR KREMINSKI, Halley SCHMIDT, Sophie

Portlandpilots story says Enyeart got the third

Problems:

#1: According to Gametracker, Enyeart never subbed in. Shows 0 minutes. But does credit her with a goal. She's good but it's hard to know how you score without coming on the field.

#2: According to Gametracker, Schmidt left the field for Kreminski and never returned, so it's hard to understand how she assisted on the goal.

Methinks that the scorer who input data to the system got confused about the identity of Pilots players.

The story on the website was almost certainly written from the box score so just repeats the errors. I'm sure there'll be a full story some time today.

Bottom line: 4-1.

The only quibble is that it was only 1-1 when Garrett had to call on the U20s, or some of them (it's not clear). It would have felt more encouraging for subsequent weeks if the game could have been won by the non-amigas, but the win was the most important thing.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:30 am

A first hand report from someone who knows the Pilots would certainly clarify things.

It's not clear to me how much difference the Amigas made, or whether the last three goals were under their impetus or not. From either reading of the scoring results, it looks like 3 of the 4 goals didn't involve any Amiga.

Those of you in the chatbox will remember that the Pilots scoring started when I joined it yesterday, so that may have been just as much a cause as the Amigas entering the game.

Hey!--- could be... I'll take my bow anyway Bow
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:53 am

The Oregonian's minimal story repeats the Portlandpilots box score. With no dateline or byline on its recap, and no quotes from players or coaches, the big O apparently didn't have anyone on site San Diego. Not much help there.

To show how little space the Pilots league-championship game merited in the Oregonian, the UP vs USD story is 8 paragraphs, while Penn State's football loss to Iowa totaled 16 paragraphs and a photo. That's the reality of where women's college soccer ranks in the state's daily paper.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:00 am

Here's the USD side of the story from the San Diego Union-Tribune

Coach Ada Greenwood credits the Amigas as being the difference, so whether the pilots shift to high gear was their doing or not, that's what he thinks.

But I remember at least two games this year when a couple players (Megan and Sophie in particular) just went into warp mode and took over the game.

On another note, the article mentions a crowd of 2537, which may make it the largest WCC crowd outside of Merlo Field this year. Congrats to The San Diego women are in order.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by gousd Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:33 am

It was a highly competitive game until your three U20 players subbed in with fresh legs. Once they came in and faced our team who seemed to tire from exerting so much energy the first 2/3 of the game it was the difference. Portland is a great team and congrats to your players, fans and coaches on winning the WCC title. Good luck in the playoffs! cheers

gousd
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:34 am

If Kelsey has allowed her last goal of the year, we'll be just fine! Very Happy

If we play great defense in every match, with NO mistakes, we can win any game. Defense wins championships. And we have a few folks who can finish. It's going to be real hairy, and we're basically going to have to be a Cinderella story to pull it off.

But if Garrett emphasizes defense, defense, defense we definitely have a shot.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:45 am

gousd wrote:It was a highly competitive game until your three U20 players subbed in with fresh legs. Once they came in and faced our team who seemed to tire from exerting so much energy the first 2/3 of the game it was the difference. Portland is a great team and congrats to your players, fans and coaches on winning the WCC title. Good luck in the playoffs! cheers

USD will be in the thick, too. My guess is you'll be meeting the Pac10 powerhouses early. Let's hope you knock them off and get another shot at us.

I want a WCC final. Good luck!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:57 am

An interesting comment to the San-Diego Union Tribune article:

"coach Ada, you are wrong! What level do you think your playing at, the AYSO? Why did they score? You allowed your players to give them plenty of space for creative soccer. All I saw from the Toreros was kindergarten kickball: No creativity, no aggressivness. Hell, you couldn't even hold the ball for more than 5 sec. before blasting it upfield hoping for a miracle. Coach Ada, that is not football. When Portland made the second half adjustment of placing Megan Rapinoe from the left wing to the right wing, I think Rapinoe had enough of Natalie Garcia's defending, they began to have a field day. And the torrential rain of goals came raining down. I think this loss is on you for not making the right adjustments at the needed time. If there is a video you need to watch it and learn from it."
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by gousd Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:27 am

SoreKnees wrote:An interesting comment to the San-Diego Union Tribune article:

"coach Ada, you are wrong! What level do you think your playing at, the AYSO? Why did they score? You allowed your players to give them plenty of space for creative soccer. All I saw from the Toreros was kindergarten kickball: No creativity, no aggressivness. Hell, you couldn't even hold the ball for more than 5 sec. before blasting it upfield hoping for a miracle. Coach Ada, that is not football. When Portland made the second half adjustment of placing Megan Rapinoe from the left wing to the right wing, I think Rapinoe had enough of Natalie Garcia's defending, they began to have a field day. And the torrential rain of goals came raining down. I think this loss is on you for not making the right adjustments at the needed time. If there is a video you need to watch it and learn from it."

Well, it seemed USD played well enough thru the first 70 minutes or so from my view at the game. The reason USD lost was that you had 3 great players that did not start and then came in at a point in which the USD players were tired and winded from having to play with so much intensity and effort up to that point. USD is not as deep as Portland and to me that was the theme of the game. There are not too many teams that can sub in players of that caliber and that is the reason Portland won. All the credit goes to Portland and its players, I'm not sure Coach Greenwood or the USD team could have done more. For USD to to have won that game it would have taken one of the best performances possible with zero mistakes. The credit goes to Portland for winning the game, not USD losing it.....just my opinion.

gousd
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:47 am

I had a thought consistent with gousd's. It's hard enough having to play the Pilots with the Three Amigas. But playing an even game for 60 minutes and then having them come in fresh is downright foot-on-the-throat torture. Great coaching tactics from Garrett.

The real reason USD got ahead was that I was late in putting on my luck7 Pilots bracelet yesterday. Remember those purple bracelets with the white "Pilots Soccer" on them that they gave all the kids a couple of years ago? Didn't get it on until about 5:00 pm. It took a while to warm up, but once it got its power going, the Pilots were off and running!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:57 am

Wait a minute.... I've got documentation on my mojo.

What do you have?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:17 pm

One important point, gousd: As I recall, your team was subbing players in and out in the 1st half. The Pilots subbed NO PLAYERS in the first half, and subbed NO PLAYERS in the 2nd half until our U20's came in.

You think Pilot players weren't tired out there before they got some relief in the 2nd half? It wasn't until the 62nd minute into this match that any Pilots starter got to rest. By that time, How many of USD starters had been subbed for? By my calculation from the box score, UP subs played a total of 75 minutes. USD subs played 90 minutes.

Bottom line: It was 1-1 when the Pilots subbed in U20 National Team players. Obviously, that contributed heavily to the final score. However, had we not had those super subs, no one knows who would have won the match. It could have even ended in a tie.

Your team did a great job! Hope to see you in Round 3... Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:21 pm

That substitution pattern has not been unusual gousd. We've seen very little minutes from the 3 U-20 players for...I'd say about the last 6 games. Enyeart was DNP for a couple of games because of a dizzy spell. She must've had a mild concussion? While Winters and Reed have only played about 15mins a match....on average. The SCU games seems to be exactly what you saw yesterday versus USD. The difference is that in past matches... the games were already decided by the time they entered the games. They didn't appear to me to be interested in padding their stats or humiliating our opponents.

The comment that caught my attention was that "Megan Rapinoe had enough of Natalie Garcia's defending". Umm?...I understand that this was not your comment...but...I'd confidently say that it was purely circumstance (coach's decision)...if Megan was switched to the other side. Megan would be the last person I'd ever think of who would back away from a battle....particularly if she felt like she was "having enough". No way...no how...I'd ever see that happening with Megan! I'd ask...Why didn't Natalie continue to shadow Megan on the other side? I'm sure Megan would've welcomed it! Very Happy

SCU had a mark in Megan's back pocket last week too. Their one-on-one battle was one of the highlights of the game. I think it goes to show how much our opponent's coaches are taking notice of Megan's recovery and respecting her ability to dominate and WILL....what happens on the pitch!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next