Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 Offseason

+12
Oldguyfan
Geezaldinho
StudentPilot
dholcombe
Pilot14
bdaddy
Dean Murdoch
Fox Mulder
NoPoNeighbor
DoubleDipper
Sound Voltex
up7587
16 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

2022 Offseason - Page 4 Empty Re: 2022 Offseason

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:31 pm

https://heatcheckcbb.com/way-too-early-wcc-basketball-preview-2022-23-projected-standings-sleeper-team-more/

5. Portland: Head coach Shantay Legans led Portland to its most successful season in over a decade and has managed to keep most of his young roster intact. Chris Austin, Tyler Robertson, Moses Wood and Michael Meadows are all back after each scored in double digits last season. Chika Nduka is also returning for his sophomore season after displaying some clear promise as a freshman. Add in some solid transfers and the Pilots could finish as a top-half team in the conference.

Sleeper team

Portland: The chances that a team other than Gonzaga wins the WCC is slim. Therefore, any sleeper conversation should be centered on possible contenders for the second-place spot. In Shantay Legan’s first year as head coach, Portland went on a 5-1 run to end the regular season and finish .500 in the WCC for the first time since 2011. Returning his top six scorers and adding Joey St. Pierre (Milwaukee), Wyatt Lowell (BYU) and Alden Applewhite (Mississippi State), Coach Legans could do even more damage this season. Don’t be surprised if the Pilots finish with their first winning record in WCC play since 2010.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Dean Murdoch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:31 pm

2022-23 conference schedule is out.

Santa Clara at home, BYU away, rest are both home/away.

https://wccsports.com/news/2022/7/1/wcc-announces-2022-23-mens-basketball-conference-matchups.aspx
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:35 pm

The Pilots don’t get BYU in Chiles so Gonzaga can get an extra home game against Dixie State. Perfect.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1788
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:47 pm

This unbalanced schedule is blatantly unfair, no matter how you assign the matchups. Can't Gonzaga just go to the Pac-10 and leave everyone else to play in a fair and balanced league?

Pilots will have to be a better team this season just to finish in the same place in the standings. Tougher schedule than the past few years.

SCU found a way to dodge us yet again! Although they do have to show their faces at the Chiles Center. Too bad to miss the BYU home game.

I'm guessing this is the projected order of strength that the schedule is based on:

Gonzaga (skips 9+10 = 19)
SMC (skips 8+10 = 18)
USF (skips 7+8 = 15)
BYU (skips 6+9 = 15)
SCU (skips 6+7 = 13)
Portland (skips 4+5 = 9)
LMU (skips 3+5 = Cool
Pepperdine (skips 2+3 = 5)
San Diego (skips 4+1 = 5)
Pacific (skips 1+2 = 3)

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:34 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:This unbalanced schedule is blatantly unfair, no matter how you assign the matchups. Can't Gonzaga just go to the Pac-10 and leave everyone else to play in a fair and balanced league?
With BYU gone after this coming season, the balance will still be off if GU were also to leave.

Some have said that other schools will not be eager to join the WCC without BYU and especially without GU.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:58 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:https://wccsports.com/news/2022/7/1/wcc-announces-2022-23-mens-basketball-conference-matchups.aspx
Seemed awfully wordy when this would have sufficed:

2022 Offseason - Page 4 Screen16
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:50 pm

https://medium.com/wills-wcc-blog/three-thoughts-on-wcc-matchups-d5d2cbbd2e85

A New Day in Portland

For the first four seasons that the WCC operated with a 16-game, unbalanced schedule, the Portland Pilots have been kept as far away as possible from the league’s traditional powers. In 2019, the Pilots were scheduled to play Gonzaga once and Saint Mary’s once. Same in 2020, 2021 and 2022.

That’s because the Zags and Gaels are the league’s two best teams, and the Pilots have been the exact opposite. But last season, in Shantay Legans first season, the Pilots didn’t finish 10th, 9th, 8th or even 7th. They went .500 and finished in 6th. A game against the Pilots is no longer seen as a blemish on the resume of an NCAA Tournament contender. Sure, a win against Portland might not move the needle much this upcoming season, but simply having the Pilots on the schedule isn’t a lose-lose scenario for the Zags or Gaels.

Which is why for the first time since 2018, the last season the WCC played a double round-robin schedule, the Pilots will host the Zags and the Gaels as well as travel to Spokane and Moraga in the same season. Congrats on your best season in recent memory, Pilots! As a reward, enjoy the opportunity to face a pair of teams you’ve lost 14 and 10 consecutive games to not once, but twice!

As a reward, enjoy the opportunity to face a pair of teams you’ve lost 14 and 10 consecutive games to not once, but twice!
(thanks i hate it)
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:41 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:This unbalanced schedule is blatantly unfair, no matter how you assign the matchups. Can't Gonzaga just go to the Pac-10 and leave everyone else to play in a fair and balanced league?

No. The PAC? Is a football conference.. Gonzaga brings zero to that viewership. Nobody will watch another team have a by week.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11808
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:56 pm

StudentPilot wrote:

Some have said …

I’ll go one better.
80% of Americans believe Angels can help them.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11808
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:26 am

Scott Leykam interviewed in the Tribune. Not just about basketball, but there are some interesting comments. For example:
It took me a while to figure out that when we play plays a huge role (in attendance). We have a better chance of drawing fans from Vancouver on Thursday night and a better chance of drawing people from the south on Saturday because of traffic patterns.
Traffic has always been a huge issue for me.

There's more good stuff about scholarships numbers and about guarantee games. https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/551009-441016-a-chat-with-university-of-portland-vp-for-athletics-scott-leykam

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1379
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:55 am

up7587 wrote:Scott Leykam interviewed in the Tribune.  Not just about basketball, but there are some interesting comments.
From Scott:
"Scheduling men's basketball this year has been an incredibly humbling experience. The previous couple of years, people did not want to play us because our RPI and our NET was seen as hurting other teams' numbers. This year, folks at schools we really would like to play were honest and said, 'You pose a risk.' I'm glad I scheduled as much as I did before January. Once we had that hot finish at the end of the year, nobody was returning my scheduling calls (laughs). The University of Oregon has been great. We didn't play them my first eight years here and this will be the third year in a row where we're driving down to Eugene. I still want to play as many regional teams as we can."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11273
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:25 pm

Portland radio play-by-play announcer Jason Swygard swung by a summer practice and chatted with newcomers Wyatt Lowell and Joey St. Pierre in the latest Portland Pilots Podcast.

https://portlandpilots.com/podcasts/portland-pilots-podcast-summer-check-in/178
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by bdaddy Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:35 am

Sound Voltex wrote:Portland radio play-by-play announcer Jason Swygard swung by a summer practice and chatted with newcomers Wyatt Lowell and Joey St. Pierre in the latest Portland Pilots Podcast.

https://portlandpilots.com/podcasts/portland-pilots-podcast-summer-check-in/178

This was a good listen! The biggest takeaway was an injury update on the three guards. Meadows is apparently feeling better and participating fully in practice. They expect Perry to be ready as the season kicks off. It sounds like the team is targeting the beginning of conference play as a potential return for Austin. That should leave some opportunity for Applewhite and Masic to get some minutes early in the year.

Has anyone seen or heard any reports from practices? Any of the new guys showing out?

bdaddy
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:35 pm

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Four University of Portland men's basketball players were named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Honors Court this week. The NABC announced the recipients of the 2021-22 NABC Team Academic Excellence Awards and NABC Honors Court, representing outstanding achievement in the classroom by collegiate men's basketball teams and student-athletes.

Mike Meadows, Jack Perry, Tyler Robertson and Kristian Sjolund earned recognition for the Pilots. The NABC Honors Court includes junior, senior and graduate student men's basketball players who finished the 2021-22 year with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher.

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2022/7/22/untitled-story.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:39 pm

Only question I had was how can you tell who is a junior or senior nowadays?

Congrats to the young men who performed in the classroom as well.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Snus Junction likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:34 am

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2022/7/28/mens-basketball-pilots-podcast-introducing-alden-applewhite-and-vukasin-masic.aspx

Listened to the latest Pilots Podcast at work here. Some good info in there...

- Alden Applewhite got his year back, so he comes in as a freshman with Gorosito and Bol
- Vucinic has put on in the neighbourhood of 20-25 pounds and looks like a new player
- Moses Wood has elevated his game?? Heck, I thought he was already good!

Seems like there is a ton of genuine excitement around the program right now.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1788
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:18 pm

up7587 wrote:Good info for those who's seats are worn out.
Scott Leykam @sleykam wrote:Seating project at the Chiles Center is underway.  New risers and seats below the walkway on both sidelines - expecting completion in early August.
Done!  Now let's fill them...
2022 Offseason - Page 4 Seats10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:27 pm

I’m worried about these new seats. Do more comfortable seats mean that fans will be less likely to stand and cheer when the Pilots need a defensive stop late in the second half?!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:42 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I’m worried about these new seats. Do more comfortable seats mean that fans will be less likely to stand and cheer when the Pilots need a defensive stop late in the second half?!
Razz Not if Coach Legans, his staff, and Coleman Lemke continue to exhort the fans like they did last season...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:36 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I'm told Matija Svetozarevic is leaning toward playing for money in Serbia, but is also considering college ball opportunities in the US.
Matija apparently decided to get away from the climes of Oregon and Serbia and is now a Rainbow Warrior...

https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2022/8/9/mens-basketball-rainbow-warriors-add-talented-serbian-forward.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:05 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I'm told Matija Svetozarevic is leaning toward playing for money in Serbia, but is also considering college ball opportunities in the US.
Matija apparently decided to get away from the climes of Oregon and Serbia and is now a Rainbow Warrior...

https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2022/8/9/mens-basketball-rainbow-warriors-add-talented-serbian-forward.aspx

An around the world journey.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:30 pm

up7587 wrote:An around the world journey.
Apparently Matija was originally content with going only halfway around the world and verbally committed to St. Francis in New York before discovering the beaches of Waikiki and North Shore...

2022 Offseason - Page 4 Maxres12
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:38 pm

Assistant Coach (and newly married) Jeremy Pope:

It's 1 hour and 15 minutes long but if you jump to the 4:10 mark you'll learn more about Jeremy's coaching background and his experience as the head coach of Boeheim's Army.

At the 37:30 point he begins talking about Coach Legans...

Finally, at the 46:00 to 58:25 points, Jeremy begins discussing the WCC and the Pilots.

https://anchor.fm/TheBarnBurnerPodcastNetwork/episodes/Theater-In-College-Hoops-Ep--148--Interview-With-Portland-Assistant-Coach--Jeremy-Pope-e1m9e40/a-a8c15ul
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:02 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:An around the world journey.
Apparently Matija was originally content with going only halfway around the world and verbally committed to St. Francis in New York before discovering the beaches of Waikiki and North Shore...

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/08/10/sports/uh-mens-basketball-team-lands-6-8-wing-transfer-from-portland/

A Pilot is landing in Manoa.

The University of Hawaii men’s basketball team has signed Matija Svetozarevic, a 6-foot-8, 215-pound transfer from the University of Portland. Svetozarevic, who grew up in Serbia, played one season with the Pilots before entering the NCAA’s transfer portal.

“I’m excited about coming,” said Svetozarevic, who signed a scholarship agreement and will join the Rainbow Warriors this month. “I know Hawaii has its own culture. I know it’s famous for its beaches and nature.”

Svetozarevic played in 28 games for the Pilots, starting one, as a freshman last season. He averaged 9.7 minutes but connected on 93.8% of his free throws (15-for-16). With the Pilots bringing in several older transfers, Svetozarevic was expected to again have a reserve role this coming season.

“I started looking at other options,” Svetozarevic said of entering the NCAA’s transfer portal. “I got in touch with (UH associate head coach) John Montgomery. We started talking more and more. Then they offered me, and I accepted the offer.”

Svetozarevic could fill the role vacated by wing/post Jerome Desrosiers’ completion of his NCAA eligibility. Svetozarevic also can play — and defend — the three and four, as well as provide long-range shooting.

Svetozarevic’s parents were both professional athletes — his father in volleyball, his mother in table tennis. Svetozarevic played youth volleyball until he saw a flyer for a basketball club. “I switched over to basketball, and my interest didn’t stop,” he said.

Svetozarevic was involved with the Serbian Youth National Team, helping the U16 team place fifth in the 2018 FIBA European Championships. He also has trained as an amateur with KK Dynamic, a club team. At the urging of friends and teammates, Svetozarevic decided he could advance his basketball skills better in the United States. Through several contacts, he received offers from colleges. “Portland was the best option at the time,” he said.

The ’Bows fill their 13 scholarships with Svetozarevic’s signing.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:54 pm

We need shirts showing Wally taking the WCC logo to the deep end...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

bullwinkle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next