Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 Recruiting

+15
Snus Junction
dholcombe
NoPoNeighbor
Adam
bdaddy
Oldguyfan
up7587
lomiton
StudentPilot
Geezaldinho
Sound Voltex
DoubleDipper
GoPilots19
Dean Murdoch
DTLegend
19 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

2022 Recruiting - Page 3 Empty Re: 2022 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:51 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Been a while since we've seen a new name on this list.

Wonder if that means they were indeed hoping/expecting to add someone at midseason here, and now that that has fallen through they're back to concentrating on next year?
Perhaps and perhaps seems like the answer here, but your two hypotheses are not necessarily mutually exclusive.  
hypotheses (plural noun)
a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation
The Argentinian point guard (Gorosito) is in prep school, which could mean he has already graduated from high school and is at prep school to A. Get his game in shape for D1, or B. His grades and required core courses are lacking and he needs to get them in shape before a college will look at him.

If it is A., perhaps he could join the team now, and if it is B., then he may be eligible to join the team in the summer, or maybe never...

But that is just my hypothesis.  Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:37 pm

Here's how I first read your statement:

DoubleDipper wrote:
hypotheses (plural noun) a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point guard for further investigation

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:19 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:The leading scorer on the team is 6-8  Cal State Fullerton transfer, Doctor Bradley.   Bradley is from Gardena, California and Serra High School, the same city and high school as UP Alum Pooh Jeter…so there is no doubt Coach Legans knows of him.

And right on cue…

@jakelieberman2 wrote: Doctor Bradley (@nolimitdoc35) tells me that St. Bonaventure, USF, FAU, Portland, Texas State, South Dakota, LBSU, SIUE, Cal State Bakersfield, and Sac State are showing interest in him.

Bradley attends @SLCCbasketball and is a former Cal State Fullerton player.

https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/status/1478142805520248837

@jakelieberman2 wrote:Portland State, not Portland.

:V
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:55 am

Sound Voltex wrote:
@jakelieberman2 wrote:Portland State, not Portland.
It makes more sense that Coach Legans is NOT looking at another 6-8 player.

With 6-11 Bol Dengdit inbound this summer and 6-8 Moses Wood, 6-8 Kristian Sjolund, 6-8 Matija Svetozarevic, 6-10 Vasilije Vucinic, and 7-0 Matheus Silveira all expected to continue their development and return next season, and because Jack Perry’s timetable is uncertain after his post-Christmas surgery, it makes more sense to bring in a guard or two…depending upon the scholarship situation.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Snus Junction likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:30 pm

Official visit booked? Getting serious here!

@Fdmathletics_ wrote:Class of 2022 3 ⭐ Point-Guard Juansee Gorosito 🇦🇷 will take his  official visit to Portland on January 26th-28th 💰🔥🤫🪣

Looks like he has one scheduled for Southern Utah too.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:05 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Official visit booked? Getting serious here!

@Fdmathletics_ wrote:Class of 2022 3 ⭐ Point-Guard Juansee Gorosito 🇦🇷 will take his  official visit to Portland on January 26th-28th 💰🔥🤫🪣

Looks like he has one scheduled for Southern Utah too.

It would be nice to have a flag of my homeland join the others at the SW end of the Chiles Center. And I could trot out my albiceleste kit.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:31 pm

2022 Recruiting - Page 3 Screen82

Interesting offer to 6-9 or 6-10/205 Wyatt Lowell from Gilbert, Arizona.

Lowell graduated from high school in 2016, served his LDS mission in Minnesota and played one year at Utah Valley before transferring to BYU where he sat one year and played last season.  By my reckoning, and with the extra COVID year, he will have two years to play beginning next season.  

Now at Snow College (JUCO) in Utah, Lowell is averaging just under 13 points per game while averaging 38% behind the arc and 85% from the line.

I call the offer “interesting” because the Pilots have a 6-11 Bol Dengdit inbound this summer and the team seems to need guards.  In Legs we trust… Cool

Note:  Normally, a player runs out of eligibility 5 years (with some exceptions) after graduating from high school (6 years for those who have the extra COVID year), but the eligibility clock stops during a player’s LDS mission. Lowell is eligible for 8 years after his high school graduation…summer of 2024.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:13 pm

Can he rebound? That was a huge problem last night.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:29 am

up7587 wrote:Can he rebound?  That was a huge problem last night.
I checked around and was told he CAN rebound and has a terrific work ethic and a bit of chip on his shoulder after moving with Coach Pope from Utah Valley to BYU but not getting the minutes he'd hoped for.

I also checked the stats from his two most recent games, and Thursday he was 6-8 from behind the arc with 3 rebounds and 4 assists, and Saturday night he was 7-11 shooting 3's with 3 rebounds and 5 assists...he is averaging 5 rebounds per game for the season.

In my previous post I mentioned concern for a shortage of guards if UP were to sign another big, but I take back that concern after imagining a lineup that includes guards Nikola (Nik) Milosevic, Matija Svetozarevic, Moses Wood (yes, he can easily play the 1 or 2), Mike Meadows, Chris Austin, Jack Perry (if he returns), and recruit Juansee Gorosito.

The more I learn about Wyatt Lowell the more I think he would be a great addition.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:58 pm

@WriterLeader247 wrote:2022 point guard Juanse Gorosito (@JuanseGorosito4) says Portland and Southern Utah are recruiting him the hardest. He plans to visit Portland January 26-28 and Southern Utah February 1-3.

Geez, break out your Albiceleste kit and make sure that Argentinian flag gets up on the wall in time for Thursday's game!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:21 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
@WriterLeader247 wrote:2022 point guard Juanse Gorosito (@JuanseGorosito4) says Portland and Southern Utah are recruiting him the hardest. He plans to visit Portland January 26-28 and Southern Utah February 1-3.

Geez, break out your Albiceleste kit and make sure that Argentinian flag gets up on the wall in time for Thursday's game!

I’ll wear the kit.
It might be more to the point to put a placard up there with

“ Este espacio disponible”

( this space available) on it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Dean Murdoch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:53 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I’ll wear the kit.
It might be more to the point to put a placard up there with

“ Este espacio disponible”  

( this space available) on it.
Whatever you do, do something to let him know he is welcome here.

I will do the same... pirat
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:28 pm

@jakelieberman2 wrote:6'9 prospect Peter Moe (@Petermoe20) is hearing from Oral Roberts, Portland, Tarleton State, Incarnate Word, Marist, and Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/status/1486445298662592514
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:09 pm

2022 Recruiting - Page 3 28f5ea10
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldguyfan Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:39 pm

Is he 2 star? From a video I watched of Juansee Gorosito I don't know how he would compete against bigger WCC guards.

Oldguyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2021-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:42 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:2022 Recruiting - Page 3 28f5ea10

Very interesting!

Pictured with Gorosito is MBB Manager Nicolas Ducuara...and Nic is also from Aregentina.

Just guessing, but do you suppose there is a recruiting connection there?  Very Happy
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:16 pm

Oldguyfan wrote:Is he 2 star? From a video I watched of Juansee Gorosito I don't know how he would compete against bigger WCC guards.
2022 Recruiting - Page 3 Twain10

I am told Gorosito is a shooter and a great distributor of the ball... Basketball
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bdaddy Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:55 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

I am told Gorosito is a shooter and a great distributor of the ball... Basketball

If they’re to be trusted, rivals also lists offers of Boise St and Washington State for Gorosito. Not the worst company.

I’m more interested in where the heck these scholarships are coming from. Did somebody already say if Jack Perry’s pending medical waiver would count against the scholie count? If so, we already have one commit, Chika needs a scholarship and we are still actively recruiting more. Maybe it will all come out in the wash with transfers but it’s all very confusing at the moment.

bdaddy
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:18 pm

bdaddy wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:

If they’re to be trusted, rivals also lists offers of Boise St and Washington State for Gorosito. Not the worst company.

I’m more interested in where the heck these scholarships are coming from. Did somebody already say if Jack Perry’s pending medical waiver would count against the scholie count? If so, we already have one commit, Chika needs a scholarship and we are still actively recruiting more. Maybe it will all come out in the wash with transfers but it’s all very confusing at the moment.

Just like major league teams have salary cap managers college programs need to have scholarship managers. Free transfer, NIL, it's going to be a revolving door. "Conditional offers" is the phrase that pays.

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:13 pm

bdaddy wrote:I’m more interested in where the heck these scholarships are coming from.
Yes, you make a good point.  There is currently just the one open scholarship, which is expected to go to Bol Dengdit next fall.

This is just speculation on my part:

1. Jack may or may not come back next season, although I don't think he finishes graduate school until 2023, I believe he has an opportunity to go home and play professionally if he wants to continue playing at all. If he does leave, it opens up a scholarship
2. This year Chika is doing fine with his academic scholarship(s)...I think it will be the same next season.
3. At least one current Pilot, and perhaps two will enter the transfer portal freeing up one or two scholarships.
4. ALL of the international players have opportunities to play professionally, but none have to make a decision until after the NCAA season ends.

We know Dengdit has signed, and we think the staff is pursuing Gorosito and Lowell.

I once asked Legs about the scholarship situation, and his reply was, "I always think it works itself out." So, if Legs isn't concerned, I guess we shouldn't be concerned.  Cool

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Readability)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:21 pm

bdaddy wrote:If they’re to be trusted, rivals also lists offers of Boise St and Washington State for Gorosito. Not the worst company.
I have it from a good source that Oregon St. and Colorado St. are interested in Gorosito, and besides BSU and WSU, it appears he has offers from Pacific, San Diego, Fordham, and Southern Utah...a school he is visiting this week or next, as I recall.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:10 pm

2022 UP signee Bol Dengdit Named to Australian Team for FIBA World Cup Qualifiers...

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2022/2/2/mens-basketball-bol-dengdit-named-to-australian-team-for-fiba-world-cup-qualifiers.aspx

2022 Recruiting - Page 3 Screen83
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:43 pm

Am I reading this correctly as Australia’s SENIOR national team?

Is this not massive news?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:24 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Am I reading this correctly as Australia’s SENIOR national team?

Is this not massive news?
Yes, it is the senior team...and do you know who else is on the team?

Former Pilot Zac Triplett, who was asked to remain with the Pilots but instead decided to play professionally in Australia.

Of course, the final team will be cut from 17 to 12 players once play begins in 3 weeks, but just to be chosen to the senior team shows both have a future in basketball... Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:33 am

It looks like Australia is jump starting a youth movement now to give them experience for the next FIBA  World Cup cycle

https://nbl.com.au/news/emerging-nbl-players-named-in-boomers-squad

Unlike the squads the US puts forward, this squad looks like development players
With only a core of experienced players.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next