Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 Recruiting

+15
Snus Junction
dholcombe
NoPoNeighbor
Adam
bdaddy
Oldguyfan
up7587
lomiton
StudentPilot
Geezaldinho
Sound Voltex
DoubleDipper
GoPilots19
Dean Murdoch
DTLegend
19 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

2022 Recruiting - Page 10 Empty Re: 2022 Recruiting

Post by up7587 Sun May 08, 2022 10:46 pm

Coach Legs is going for it in year #2, with a line-up laden with players with 3 or 4 years of experience. I count 8 or 9 possible starters. Should be interesting to see how that shakes out, and how team chemistry is affected with 10 experienced players, 7 returnees and 3 transfers.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun May 08, 2022 10:58 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I have taken the liberty of modifying/adding to your list.
up7587 wrote:Experienced G = Austin, Meadows, Masic, PERRY
Inexperienced G - Gorosito, Stack
Experienced Wing - Robertson, Wood
Inexperienced Wing - Svetozarevic
Experienced F - Sjolund, Nduka
Inexperienced F - Bol Dengdit, Lemke
Experienced Big - St Pierre, Lowell
Inexperienced Big - Vucinic
I have heard from usually reliable sources that Jack Perry will stay in Portland for Summer Session I while working himself back into playing shape and return to the team and finish his graduate degree at UP.

Before Jack's devastating knee injury against PSU two days before Thanksgiving, Coach Legans considered him the team leader and "coach on the court" despite Mike Meadows being the starting point guard.  

With Jack, Mike, and Chris Austin all attempting to come back from injury this coming fall, it will be good to have the depth that Jack should add.
That is very good news for the Pilots...it not only means the team will be very experienced this coming season, it means the team chemistry will be enhanced by the return of Jack Perry.

Hmm, do you think he returned because he saw a final chance to get back to the Tournament?
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 12, 2022 4:36 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Yes, Alden Applewhite, currently enrolled at Mississippi State where he played in only two games this past season, was on campus last week.

Coming out of high school Applewhite was considered a 3-star recruit, and picked Mississippi State over Clemson, Iowa State, St. John’s, and Wake Forest..
I has been two weeks since Applewhite visited campus, and there has been no word yet on where he will go next, but I did hear he was taking at least five visits to various campuses.

Coach Legans and staff have been batting 100% on UP visits and signings...fingers crossed that Applewhite won't break that streak, but instead is just taking his time to get it right.

I have heard that Matija has found another school (unconfirmed), and with the return of Jack Perry there is just one scholarship remaining...and because Applewhite is projected as a potential starter, it would be nice to see him commit.

The Pilots are going to need to improve the roster over last year just to keep up with the rest of the WCC.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu May 12, 2022 5:50 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:The Pilots are going to need to improve the roster over last year just to keep up with the rest of the WCC.  

USD added several players today, and many WCC schools have added a big man in the last couple weeks.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 13, 2022 1:06 am

DoubleDipper wrote:...and because Applewhite is projected as a potential starter, it would be nice to see him commit.  
Turns out Applewhite is not the only 3 or 4-star player from Mississippi St. in the portal.

There were 8 Bulldogs who chose to leave the team, and 4 have new homes, including 3 who are remaining within the SEC at Texas A&M, Kansas St., and LSU, while the 4th is at UAB.
up7587 wrote:USD added several players today, and many WCC schools have added a big man in the last couple weeks.  
In the past few days USD signed players from Stanford and Oregon, LMU signed a player from Oklahoma, USF picked up a player from Texas A&M, and GU signed a really big guy from LSU...that's 5 players from Power-5 schools!!

When was the last time the Pilots signed a former Power 5 player?  Probably before some conferences were referred to as Power 5.

The only players I can remember off the top of my head all came from OSU: Ray Ross, Canaan Chatman, and Kevin Field.

Were there others?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri May 13, 2022 6:39 am

DoubleDipper wrote:When was the last time the Pilots signed a former Power 5 player?  Probably before some conferences were referred to as Power 5.

The only players I can remember off the top of my head all came from OSU: Ray Ross, Canaan Chatman, and Kevin Field.

Were there others?

Ahmed Ali, Crisshawn Clark, Voldy Gerun more recently.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri May 13, 2022 11:47 am

Kevin Field, also  from OSU.

But yeah, there was no power 5 before 2014 when the Big East split up.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri May 13, 2022 11:58 am

Technically, Sjolund is a former Power 5 player, playing 21 games and starting 4 at Georgia Tech in the ACC.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri May 13, 2022 5:39 pm

And today LMU got a transfer from Ohio State, a SF with 114 games played and one year left to play.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 14, 2022 11:31 am

up7587 wrote:Technically, Sjolund is a former Power 5 player, playing 21 games and starting 4 at Georgia Tech in the ACC.
Yes, he definitely qualifies!

If Applewhite were to come to UP, he would show up with only 2 games played at Mississippi St. due to a foot injury...but considering all the interest he got out of prep school and all the interest he is getting now that he is in the portal, I think he would be a very good addition to the team.

NBA hopefuls that still have NCAA eligibility have until June 1 to decide if they want to return to college, and with that date just a couple of weeks away, we are seeing a domino effect as players in the portal are deciding where to go next...if they go anywhere at all.

Alden Applewhite's decision should be coming very soon.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat May 14, 2022 12:22 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:NBA hopefuls that still have NCAA eligibility have until June 1 to decide if they want to return to college...
The list of those who have accepted and invitation to attend the NBA combine next week, beginning on Wednesday...

2022 Recruiting - Page 10 Scree102

Go to the combine, get evaluated, and make a decision...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat May 14, 2022 12:37 pm

I had the opportunity to participate in the combine while in high school…no, not as a participant, but as ball boy/gopher. The combine is a multi-day showcase in which players are measured, take medical tests, perform various athletic tests and shooting drills, and participate in multi scrimmages against various lineups in front of NBA coaches, general managers, and scouts.

An invitation to the combine is an especially great chance for players who are not necessarily on the NBA radar or are not guaranteed lottery picks to showcase their potential and possibly move up the NBA Draft board. I am a little surprised Chet Holmgren is attending because I have not seen him listed any lower than a 3rd overall pick in the draft.

The combine also provides some clarity for players who must decide whether giving up college and the associated NIL is worth taking a chance on the draft.  On the other hand, there is always the risk of injury in college that could wipe out any NBA chances for the future.  So much to process for a college kid…and I am not sure the advice they receive is always in their best interest.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sun May 15, 2022 2:02 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:NBA hopefuls that still have NCAA eligibility have until June 1 to decide if they want to return to college...
The list of those who have accepted and invitation to attend the NBA combine next week, beginning on Wednesday...

2022 Recruiting - Page 10 Scree102

Go to the combine, get evaluated, and make a decision...

4 Zags on the list. Supposedly their 5th starter Rasir Bolton also declared for the draft, but isn't on the list.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun May 15, 2022 3:11 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:It would not surprise me if there aren't one or two more walk-ons as that seems to be the trend to bolster opposing practice teams now.
While we wait for some official word on Mississippi St. transfer Alden Applewhite, a scan of various social media sites would seem to indicate the Pilots will have at least 3 new walk-ons this coming season:

1. Drew Stack 6-2 Madison, NJ
2. Andrew Younan 6-5 Calabasas, CA
3. Jerrod Bryant 6-5 Tarzana, CA (Eugene, OR...transfer from NAIA Bushnell)

Returning from last season:

4. Coleman Lemke 6-8 Las Vegas, NV
5. Chika Nduka 6-5 Seattle, WA

I am reluctant to call Chika a walk-on in the true sense after he started the majority of games last season, and I am told he will likely get an athletic scholarship if the Pilots do not sign Applewhite. Meanwhile, he has other good scholarships to ease much of the financial burden.

At EWU and before the portal, Coach Legans and his staff brought in quite a few walk-ons they had scouted who eventually became starters and eventually received athletic scholarships (Mike Meadows), but at EWU the cost to the student-athlete was under $10,000 per year.  At UP, even with the Presidential Scholarship, the cost can be close to $60,000 per year. Shocked
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Wed May 18, 2022 1:10 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I have taken the liberty of modifying/adding to your list.
up7587 wrote:Experienced G = Austin, Meadows, Masic, PERRY
Inexperienced G - Gorosito, Stack
Experienced Wing - Robertson, Wood
Inexperienced Wing - Svetozarevic
Experienced F - Sjolund, Nduka
Inexperienced F - Bol Dengdit, Lemke
Experienced Big - St Pierre, Lowell
Inexperienced Big - Vucinic
I have heard from usually reliable sources that Jack Perry will stay in Portland for Summer Session I while working himself back into playing shape and return to the team and finish his graduate degree at UP.

Before Jack's devastating knee injury against PSU two days before Thanksgiving, Coach Legans considered him the team leader and "coach on the court" despite Mike Meadows being the starting point guard.  

With Jack, Mike, and Chris Austin all attempting to come back from injury this coming fall, it will be good to have the depth that Jack should add.

2022 Recruiting - Page 10 Ftect910

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2022/5/17/mens-basketball-portland-pilots-podcast-jack-perry-announces-his-return.aspx
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 18, 2022 2:21 pm

No pictures to support the claim, but Jack got a haircut??!!

It must have been a podcast recorded a few weeks ago because Matija was mentioned.  Either that, or Jason Swygard does not read PilotNation. Razz

If my math is correct, Jack has scholarship #12, and I am hearing it is now likely that Mississippi St. transfer Alden Applewhite will soon sign a grant-in-aid, taking the 13th and final scholarship spot with the Pilots.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

wrv and Dean Murdoch like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed May 18, 2022 3:18 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:If my math is correct, Jack has scholarship #12, and I am hearing it is now likely that Mississippi St. transfer Alden Applewhite will soon sign a grant-in-aid, taking the 13th and final scholarship spot with the Pilots.

Pilot fans this offseason:

2022 Recruiting - Page 10 385be110
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Rob's Jacket, DoubleDipper, Adam, Fox Mulder and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fox Mulder Fri May 20, 2022 10:42 am

According to a source on twitter Applewhite is officially coming to UP

2022 Recruiting - Page 10 Screen16
Fox Mulder
Fox Mulder
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2021-05-06

wrv, DoubleDipper and Dean Murdoch like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri May 20, 2022 11:32 am

Fox Mulder wrote:According to a source on twitter Applewhite is officially coming to UP

Let's go!!!

Alden was #174 in the country, the #35 ranked SF, and #6 in the state of Arizona according to 247sports.com's Class of 2021 rankings. I know he's a transfer obviously, but I think this makes him the highest-rated recruit ever to step foot on the Bluff? (Kevin Bailey was #192 in 2011)

Is it November yet?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 20, 2022 12:05 pm

Fox Mulder wrote:According to a source on twitter Applewhite is officially coming to UP
I believe it is a measure of the trust Applewhite and student-athletes in general have in Legs and his staff that he turned down "guaranteed" NIL money elsewhere to come to The Bluff.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

StudentPilot and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bdaddy Fri May 20, 2022 1:17 pm

This is awesome! This class addresses all the major concerns I had for the roster. They were in desperate need of a big man and overall depth, but my favorite thing these guys bring to the table is shooting. Lowell, Masic and Applewhite are all scouted as very good shooters. Throw in Jack Perry’s 40% plus career 3p% and this team is looking pretty dangerous from deep.

bdaddy
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri May 20, 2022 2:14 pm

Fingers crossed that incoming Mississippi St. sophomore transfer Alden Applewhite will be able to get a medical redshirt year and have four more years of eligibility.
Dean Murdoch wrote:Is it November yet?
Come November, we are going to again need a roster to know all the players:  Very Happy

1. Bol Dengdit
2. Juan Gorosito
3. Vuc Masic
4. Wyatt Lowell
5. Joey St. Pierre
6. Alden Applewhite
7. Drew Stack
8. Andrew Younan
9. Jerrod Bryant

10. Moses Wood
11. Tyler Roberston
12. Chris Austin
13. Coleman Lemke
14. Jack Perry
15. Kristian Sjolund
16. Chika Nduka
17. Vasilije Vucinic
18. Mike Meadows
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

DoubleDipper and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri May 20, 2022 3:32 pm

2022 Recruiting - Page 10 28306810

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdydAq5pbRE/
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

bullwinkle and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sun May 22, 2022 3:18 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:2022 Recruiting - Page 10 28306810

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdydAq5pbRE/

@mid_madness wrote:Former 4 ⭐ recruit out of high school who had a ton of high major offers.

Applewhite was a star at Arizona Compass Prep and one of the best high school three-point shooters in his class.

Another great get for the Portland Pilots. They’re gonna sneak onto many people’s radar’s.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Mon May 23, 2022 12:19 pm

UP's announcement:

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2022/5/23/mens-basketball-portland-basketball-signs-transfer-alden-applewhite.aspx

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next