Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2021 Offseason

+14
Kevin
Stonehouse
DTLegend
wrv
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
bdaddy
lomiton
Sound Voltex
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
GoPilots19
StudentPilot
Dean Murdoch
18 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

2021 Offseason - Page 4 Empty Re: 2021 Offseason

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:59 am

Sound Voltex wrote:Aiken has picked Arizona.

Well hold the phone now, Arizona just fired Sean Miller. Could that put Kim Aiken back in play?

And Damon Stoudamire will have to be a consideration for Arizona here. (I see Gonzaga AC Tommy Lloyd is also heavily rumored in the early going)
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1788
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:16 pm

"Big news" wasn't Portland related. SCU's Josip Vrankic is pulling a LMU Eli Scott and returning for another year.

2021 Offseason - Page 4 Spwc310
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:34 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote: Arizona just fired Sean Miller. Could that put Kim Aiken back in play?

And Damon Stoudamire will have to be a consideration for Arizona here. (I see Gonzaga AC Tommy Lloyd is also heavily rumored in the early going)
I doubt Miller’s firing came as a result of a bad record, but because of the FBI Investigation that already snared one assistant for funneling money to an agent, for which Arizona received five Level 1 violations and a self-imposed a one-year postseason ban.  Rolling Eyes

Regardless, Miller will get a $1.5 million going-away gift from the state of Arizona.

Interesting that three WCC coaches are being mentioned as replacements: GU's Tommy Lloyd, UOP's Damon Stoudamire, and BYU's Mark Pope.  In addition to those three, Georgia Tech's Josh Pastner's name has been mentioned...which could be a good thing for Rev.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11289
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:58 pm

StudentPilot wrote:Isiah Dasher is in the transfer portal...
Isiah, from Jersey City, New Jersey, has committed to St. Peter's, "The Jesuit University of New Jersey."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:41 am

In this article Sean Paul lists his Top 25 Uncommitted transfers (at least 3 of whom have now committed), and at #20 he has Tanner Groves.

Because Coach Legans was a point-guard at Cal, my attention is focused on #6, Matt Bradley, Cal's point-guard, but I am sure he is out of reach.

http://makingthemadness.com/makingthemadness-top-25-uncommitted-transfers/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:04 pm

Apparently, Coach Legans knows how to pick up the phone and pursue recruits, 2023's Jalen Childs included.

https://scoopmantv.com/2021/04/08/2023-guard-jalen-childs-adds-portland-offer/

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1423
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:42 pm

Curtiss has been recruited back!

https://twitter.com/HoopScoopMedia/status/1380595320053231620

@HoopScoopMedia wrote:Sources tell Hoop Scoop Media that Portland freshman Hayden Curtiss has officially withdrawn from the transfer portal. Averaged 2.2 points and 2.4 rebounds this past season.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Rob's Jacket and mikemac65 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:22 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:
@jakelieberman2 wrote:Jamison Overton (@JamisonOverton2) has heard from the following schools since entering the portal: Weber State, Portland, UC Davis, Hawaii, Pepperdine, Cal State Fullerton, UCR, and Incarnate Word.

15.6 PPG and 4.2 RPG at Utah Valley.
Overton staying in Utah:
John Goodman wrote:Report: Utah Valley G Jamison Overton Transferring To Weber State
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:17 am

Joseph Smoyer transfers to DII Chaminade in Hawaii
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:42 am

Sound Voltex wrote:Joseph Smoyer transfers to DII Chaminade in Hawaii
Pretty good deal.  Gets his degree from an Ivy League school, Columbia, and then heads to Hawaii for a grad-year vacation... Cool
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:50 am

AustinBaum wrote:UT source tells me Tanner Groves has reportedly narrowed his final choices to Texas and one or two other schools.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:58 am

Sound Voltex wrote:"Big news" wasn't Portland related. SCU's Josip Vrankic is pulling a LMU Eli Scott and returning for another year.
But in other news, Guglielmo Caruso, SCU's 6-11 center has decided to leave school and play professionally overseas.

In the lone game between UP and SCU this season Vrankic fouled-out with 4 points in 10 minutes of play while Caruso played 33 minutes and went 7 for 10 for 14 points and 7 boards.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
@Sean02MTM wrote:North Dakota transfer Filip Rebraca tells me these school have contacted him: Arizona, Providence,Charlotte, Marshall, USU, Chattanooga, Northeastern, Loyola Marymount, Tulsa, Boise State, Colorado, Portland, FGCU, Minnesota and Virginia Tech

Averaged 16.8 PPG this season.

This one is interesting. North Dakota's best player last year and he's Serbian. Didn't I read somewhere that Coach Legans' wife is from Serbia?
It would appear Rebraca is favoring Iowa, but Minnesota, Virginia Tech, and South Carolina are still on his list.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Article/Basketball-recruiting-South-Carolina-Virginia-Tech-Iowa-Minnesota-Filip-Rebraca-163856951/
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:31 pm

@jakelieberman2 wrote:TCU transfer Kevin Easley (@kevineasley__34) has heard from Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Portland, UCSB, UIC, among others since entering the portal, source tells me.

Talented forward with three years remaining. He averaged 4.5 PPG and 3.7 RPG this season.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:21 am

StudentPilot wrote:
AustinBaum wrote:UT source tells me Tanner Groves has reportedly narrowed his final choices to Texas and one or two other schools.
If Tanner were to end up in Austin, it seems only fair that one-time Jefferson HS star Kamaka Hepa, now in the transfer portal from Texas, at least consider UP as his next landing spot.

Originally from Alaska, Hepa has been at Texas for 3 years, and was a part-time starter his sophomore year, but saw little action this past season.  I believe he will be a grad-transfer and will have two years of eligibility.

When Hepa went to Texas the previous UP coaching staff, believing he wouldn’t see much action there, said they would re-recruit him when he decides to transfer.  

Not sure if Coach Legans is interested, but when Hepa graduated from Jefferson HS he had at least 22 offers, 15 of which were from high-major schools.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:15 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Because Coach Legans was a point-guard at Cal, my attention is focused on #6, Matt Bradley, Cal's point-guard, but I am sure he is out of reach.
Yup, Bradley was/is out of reach for the Pilots. Rolling Eyes

From Southern California, Bradley committed to San Diego St.

Regardless, it appears UP will have at least 3 point guards this coming season...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:13 pm

bdaddy wrote:The google machine tells me that national signing day is April 14th.
In recent years it has taken UP a few days to release all the names of those high school student-athletes signing an NLI, but twitter often lets us know sooner…we’ll see.

How many incoming freshmen will sign this week?  It is hard to say, but indications are there will be two from Eastern Europe and at least two and possibly as many as three or four from the western US.

If as many as six freshmen sign it will be like how Coach Legans built his teams at EWU.  As we already know there are commitments from two transfers, a JUCO player, and a returnee from last season, it could mean there will be only three or four open scholarships available to sign even more transfers.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:02 am

AustinBaum wrote:Source tells me All-Pac-12 SF Timmy Allen coming from Utah and Tanner Groves choosing between UT/WashSt/one other
WSU would make sense just down the road from Spokane..."one other" intriguing.

StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by bdaddy Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:45 am

There’s not exactly a flurry of activity out there this morning. I guess it’s to be expected given the strange circumstances surrounding this year and signing day. Its understandable the transfer market would take longer to develop but it seems like the high schoolers are going to  move a little slower than normal too. I did check in on the Pilots Verbal Commits page and saw a name I hadn’t noticed before. Tyty Washington is listed. A 4 star PG out of Phoenix. Looking at his offer list, I can’t help but hear, “One of these things is not like the others” playing in my head. UP is listed among some heavy hitters including blue-blood Kentucky and national champion Baylor. I wonder why they would even have an offer out to a kid like that. Unless the staff knows something I don’t?... Maybe?... Hopefully?...

bdaddy
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:10 am

StudentPilot wrote:
AustinBaum wrote:Source tells me All-Pac-12 SF Timmy Allen coming from Utah and Tanner Groves choosing between UT/WashSt/one other
WSU would make sense just down the road from Spokane..."one other" intriguing.

"One other" would be our own Pilots, according to this tweet!

https://twitter.com/sr_collingwood/status/1382045564590649351

@sr_collingwood wrote:I can tell you this: Don't be surprised to see both Groves brothers at a big-name school with tradition next season or staying loyal to Legans and staff at Portland.

That's what it's going to come down to. Pretty rare two players (and bros) are picking between those situations

I'm reading this as the choice is between Texas and Portland. Unless WSU is a "big-name school with tradition" now. Fingers crossed for a couple of game changers here.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:17 am

bdaddy wrote:I did check in on the Pilots Verbal Commits page and saw a name I hadn’t noticed before. Tyty Washington is listed. A 4 star PG out of Phoenix. Looking at his offer list, I can’t help but hear, “One of these things is not like the others” playing in my head. UP is listed among some heavy hitters including blue-blood Kentucky and national champion Baylor. I wonder why they would even have an offer out to a kid like that. Unless the staff knows something I don’t?... Maybe?... Hopefully?...

TyTy Washington was offered by Coach Porter and his staff a few years back.

Coach Legans did make an offer to Tru Washington within the past couple of weeks, though! He's a 2023 guard (and TyTy's nephew, believe it or not).
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:58 am

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBBtours/status/1382078136876109824?s=20

2021 Offseason - Page 4 Up10

Not quite sure the validity of this or if it's official or rather if it's just a fan account, but this tweet suggests that Zac Triplett may be returning? but again, I haven't seen this anywhere else

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:02 pm

DTLegend wrote:Not quite sure the validity of this or if it's official or rather if it's just a fan account, but this tweet suggests that Zac Triplett may be returning? but again, I haven't seen this anywhere else.
Nope, Zac not coming back...could possibly turn pro in Australia.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:12 pm

Welp that was a quick confirmation haha. I had a feeling he wouldn't return and that's why I was surprised to see him included in that tweet.

It's too bad. I would have liked to see the impact he really could have had given a real opportunity.

Thanks for the confirmation DD

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:23 pm

DTLegend wrote:Welp that was a quick confirmation haha.
However,  The Pilots do have a trio of Aussies!!

The op neglected to mention Aussie Deng Dut from Melbourne, but coming from College of Southern Idaho.

Jack Perry will add some much needed senior leadership as a grad-transfer after gaining “extended eligibility” afforded by the NCAA due to the pandemic.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next