Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2021 Offseason

+14
Kevin
Stonehouse
DTLegend
wrv
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
bdaddy
lomiton
Sound Voltex
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
GoPilots19
StudentPilot
Dean Murdoch
18 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

2021 Offseason - Page 6 Empty Re: 2021 Offseason

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:28 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Riccardo DeAngelis wrote:Nikita Konstantynovskyi has received 15 D-I offers: Canisius, Cleveland State, Coastal Carolina, CSU Bakersfield, FGCU, Maine, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Portland, Southern Utah, Stetson, Tulsa, UCSB, UIC, Wagner
It appears from various sources that Konstantynovskyi has narrowed his choices to Tulsa and Milwaukee.
Konstantynovskyi has chosen Tulsa to continue his education and basketball.

2021 Offseason - Page 6 Bb_imp10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11289
Registration date : 2011-11-03

lomiton likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:53 pm

@ExpertWcc wrote:Eastern Kentucky transfer Cheikh Faye (@CfayeJr) tells me that he has heard from Idaho, Idaho State, and Portland since entering his name into the transfer portal.

Faye averaged 5.4 PPG and 2.4 RPG this season. He will have two seasons remaining.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:29 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:
@ExpertWcc wrote:Eastern Kentucky transfer Cheikh Faye (@CfayeJr) tells me that he has heard from Idaho, Idaho State, and Portland since entering his name into the transfer portal.

Faye averaged 5.4 PPG and 2.4 RPG this season. He will have two seasons remaining.
Faye is another guy who just couldn't get any playing time because he was stuck behind two players that were better than him on a good Eastern Kentucky team that finished the season 22-7.

It is hard to say if Coach Legans will offer Faye a scholarship, but I consider Faye just as good a player as the now departed Tahirou Diabate, and like Diabate, Faye, originally from Senegal, speaks 5 languages, and would likely be just as popular. pirat

Prior to EKU, Faye played two years at Chipola College, and will have two years to play after his "free" year at EKU.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:10 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:
@jakelieberman2 wrote:Portland transfer Tahirou Diabate (@TahirouDe) tells me that a commitment will happen in around a week or so.

Illinois State, UIC, UCR, Hawaii, Texas Tech, UNCW, Seattle, Towson, among others are involved.

Averaged 9.6 PPG and 5.1 RPG this season.

D has committed to San Diego State.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:46 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:D has committed to San Diego State.
Good for D!

He may have to come off the bench to play, but D is joining a potential championship team that was a #6 seed in this year's NCAA Tournament before being bounced by #11 Syracuse in the first round.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:58 am

@VerbalCommits wrote:Portland and Southern Miss has offered 2021 Holmes CC (MS) G Brandon Weatherspoon.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:11 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:
@VerbalCommits wrote:Portland and Southern Miss has offered 2021 Holmes CC (MS) G Brandon Weatherspoon.

Interesting. Coastal Carolina, Indiana State, Southern Miss, Portland, Iona all with reported offers for Brandon in the last 24 hours.

Coach Legans vs Pitino Sr in a recruiting battle? I like it.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1788
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:14 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Interesting. Coastal Carolina, Indiana State, Southern Miss, Portland, Iona all with reported offers for Brandon in the last 24 hours.

Coach Legans vs Pitino Sr in a recruiting battle? I like it.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:30 pm

Another Pilot finds a home close to home...Latrell Jones to Nicholls St. in Louisiana.

2021 Offseason - Page 6 Latrel10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:57 am

@VerbalCommits wrote:2021 College of Southern Idaho (ID)/Portland commit G Deng Dut is reopening his recruitment. @dengdutt

Not good news to wake up to. Deng will end up at a high major somewhere.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
StudentPilot wrote:
AustinBaum wrote:UT source tells me Tanner Groves has reportedly narrowed his final choices to Texas and one or two other schools.
If Tanner were to end up in Austin, it seems only fair that one-time Jefferson HS star Kamaka Hepa, now in the transfer portal from Texas, at least consider UP as his next landing spot.

Originally from Alaska, Hepa has been at Texas for 3 years, and was a part-time starter his sophomore year, but saw little action this past season.
Hepa, originally from the 49th and western/northernmost state, Alaska, has committed to the 50th and southernmost state, Hawaii, and will be Rainbow Warrior for the next couple of years...

Here's a piece of trivia for you, something Geezer usually loves:  Not only is Alaska the northernmost and westernmost state in the US, it is also the easternmost state. The reason Alaska can be considered the farthest both east and west is that the Aleutian Islands cross the 180-degree meridian of longitude.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun May 02, 2021 6:49 pm

StudentPilot wrote:I saw Taki yesterday and he told me he put his name in the transfer portal so that coaches would see he's available for his “free” year when he graduates in May.  He also said he’d like to stay at UP and go to grad school if the new coach wants him.
Taki, who graduates next Sunday, has hired an agent and will play professionally instead of going to grad school and playing another year or two collegiately.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 06, 2021 8:32 am

Carlos Lemus wrote:Blessed to receive an offer from University of Portland!🌹
Lemus is a 6-3 point guard from Venezuela and is currently a redshirt sophomore at Chipola College (JUCO) in Florida.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu May 06, 2021 12:42 pm

This should be interesting. I’ve never seen a five point guard offense before.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu May 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:This should be interesting. I’ve never seen a five point guard offense before.

I couldn't remember where the Pilots stood in terms of roster construction for next year so I made up a quick depth chart. Known recent offers in the brackets at the end.

PG/SG - Meadows, Perry, Harvey (Lemus)
SG/SF/PF - Robertson, Sjolund, Wilson, Milosevic (Weatherspoon)
PF/C - Curtiss

Am I understanding correctly that Perry's scholarship doesn't count towards the limit in 2021-22 so with eight players currently that means there's still six open?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 06, 2021 7:27 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Am I understanding correctly that Perry's scholarship doesn't count towards the limit in 2021-22 so with eight players currently that means there's still six open?
Sorry, no.

If Perry had stayed at EWU he would not have counted against their 13, but the "exemption" against the maximum of 13 does not exist when a player transfers to another school.  (The only former Pilot who would not have counted against the maximum had he stayed with the team was Henn.  Ali would have counted because it turns out the earliest he could have graduated had he stayed at UP is this coming December).

As of this post, there are 4 scholarships still open, but that could change at any time.  The UP website does not yet list the NLI signing of "Chris" Fan...and I am not sure when it will since Fan has been in China since leaving high school in the States when the pandemic broke out here.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri May 07, 2021 8:34 am

DoubleDipper wrote: Ali would have counted because it turns out the earliest he could have graduated had he stayed at UP is this coming December).
Ah ha, I thought so.

Not able to grad-transfer, but UP and the NCAA will give him a waiver to transfer to his 4th school?
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri May 07, 2021 8:50 am

DoubleDipper wrote:  The UP website does not yet list the NLI signing of "Chris" Fan...and I am not sure when it will since Fan has been in China since leaving high school in the States when the pandemic broke out here.
I researched Fan, there is not much to learn except that he was enrolled at Modesto Christian School when the pandemic hit and he left school and did not play basketball there this past season.

Have to hope he's getting some work in somewhere.
DoubleDipper wrote:As of this post, there are 4 scholarships still open, but that could change at any time.
Anyone 6-10 in the pipeline?

The Pilots have some height with two players at 6-8 and one at 6-9, but we saw how poor the rebounding was last season except when Curtiss was in the game. IMO, UP needs at least one 6-10 or taller guy.

I searched to portal, and there are some bigs available, but they would obviously have to have the grades, the character, and the ability to fit in Legans' system to come to UP.  Maybe there's a hidden gem somewhere that Coach Lipold can coach-up!! tongue
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 07, 2021 10:48 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Taki, who graduates next Sunday, has hired an agent and will play professionally instead of going to grad school and playing another year or two collegiately.
Taki has signed with the  2021 Sky Tower Auckland Huskies!

https://aucklandhuskies.co.nz/taki-fahrensohn-returns-home-to-auckland-huskies/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 07, 2021 11:00 am

StudentPilot wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote: Ali would have counted because it turns out the earliest he could have graduated had he stayed at UP is this coming December).
Ah ha, I thought so.

Not able to grad-transfer, but UP and the NCAA will give him a waiver to transfer to his 4th school?
I wouldn't be surprised to see Ali sign professionally somewhere.

Just because they are nice guys, I suppose UP would write a waiver request for him, but why?  He quit on his teammate Curtiss and Coach Legans, who was recruiting him to stay.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 07, 2021 11:10 am

StudentPilot wrote:Anyone 6-10 in the pipeline?

The Pilots have some height with two players at 6-8 and one at 6-9, but we saw how poor the rebounding was last season except when Curtiss was in the game. IMO, UP needs at least one 6-10 or taller guy.
I'm pretty sure Coach Legans agrees with you, and with just 4 scholarships to fill, I'm guessing we can expect one more guard and three post players in the 6-8 to 7-0 range.

And then we have to get them all in the gym and create a TEAM!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri May 07, 2021 11:18 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Just because they are nice guys, I suppose UP would write a waiver request for him, but why?

You say why, I say why not? If he's decided not to come back, I don't see a single positive of holding him back from transferring if that's what he wants to do.

That said, I agree with you he's likely off to Europe for what will be a long, successful career playing high-level ball across the pond. He'll be great there.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:You say why, I say why not? If he's decided not to come back, I don't see a single positive of holding him back from transferring if that's what he wants to do.
My information is just third or fourth-hand, but I was told Ali actually wanted to play for Coach Legans, but an "influential family member" insisted he transfer somewhere closer to home (Toronto) or turn pro.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri May 07, 2021 12:44 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:And then we have to get them all in the gym and create a TEAM!
We have to hope none of the players are Anti-Vaxxers, as all UP students will be required to show proof they have received the COVID vaccine by September 1...

(As with other vaccination requirements, medical and/or non-medical (e.g., religious) exemptions from this policy may be requested consistent with Oregon and federal law).

https://www.up.edu/pilotsprevent/community-messages/april-27-vaccines-required-for-faculty-staff-students.html
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sat May 08, 2021 10:21 pm

Any word on if fans will be required to be vaccinated to attend games?
Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2020-04-17

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next