Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bringing Back Porter

+21
pilots#1
SpikeHoops
VillaGorilla
The Wingman
JimmAlacki
lomiton
blacksheep
optimist
bullwinkle
Woodless 2.0
SoCal_Pilot
Dean Murdoch
ExpatPilot
dholcombe
StudentPilot
NoPoNeighbor
bobtcat2
mikemac65
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
wrv
25 posters

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Bringing Back Porter - Page 9 Empty Re: Bringing Back Porter

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:15 pm

JimmAlacki wrote:Concordia had a record of 5-23. Great pick

Yeah but he played for your boy Pitino at Kentucky!

I took SpikeHoops' suggestion and googled him. Rhodes has one helluva story - https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/446950-360162-all-rhodes-led-him-to-concordia - and with little else to do these days, I might just watch an episode or two of the Us Against the World documentary.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by SpikeHoops Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:29 pm

One season with the old coaches players...is Not a fair assessment. Give any coach 3-4 yrs to turn a program. Everyone knows that...especially a former D1 player like myself. Gotta know coaching to understand coaching Jimm

SpikeHoops
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2020-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SpikeHoops Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:32 pm

If I had any eligibility left...I'd play for Rhodes ANY DAY!!! preaches "Love the guy next to you."He knows what he is doing...trust me!!!

SpikeHoops
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by SpikeHoops Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:46 pm

One last comment about Rodrick Rhodes for you all to consider...

He was a 3 time All-American at St. Anthony HS in New Jersey playing for Hall of Fame Coach Bob Hurley Sr. (yes, that's Bobby Hurley's Dad)

He played 3 seasons for Hall of Fame Coach Pitino at Kentucky and was the SEC Freshman of the Year.

He played one season for Henry Bibby at USC and was the Pac-10 Newcomer of the Year. Bibby played in the NBA and for Hall of Fame Coach John Wooden at UCLA

Rhodes was the #24 overall pick in the '97 NBA Draft to Houston and played for yet ANOTHER HOF Coach, Rudy T.

Do you think the guys hasn't learned a thing about playing the game from at least one of these guys??? Don't be naive. His roots are deep and he is a quality guy and coach. I watched these players at CU struggle all season long but not once did they ever give up on each other...that says ALOT!!! All they were told is to "Love Your Brother"

If given the chance vs closing the school...I'd bet it all in Vegas that Rhodes & Concordia would win the conference championship in the GNAC and play in the D2 Nat'l Tournament by Year 3 of his tenure there...Rhodes is for Real !!!

SpikeHoops
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:18 pm

I'm sure Rodrick Rhodes is a good guy, and he may even turn out to be a good coach. But just for comparison, Terry Porter ...

Played four seasons for Hall of Fame Coach Dick Bennett at Wisconsin-Stevens Point, where he was the only NAIA/Division III player selected to the NABC All-American Game;

Was the #24 overall pick in the 1985 NBA Draft and played 17 seasons in the NBA, including under Hall of Fame coaches Jack Ramsay and Pat Riley, and a couple of future Hall of Fame coaches in Gregg Popovich and Rick Adelman;

Spent 2.5 seasons as a bona fide NBA head coach, and actually got to the playoffs in his first season; and

Is an absolute legend in Portland who has his number hanging from the rafters at the Rose Garden.

Four years ago, I thought that all of the above made Terry Porter an absolute home run hire for UP, especially the time he spent learning from Bennett, Riley, Pop, and Adelman. I could not possibly have been more wrong. I would like to see the University not make that same mistake again (and again, and again).

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:33 pm

Two hours ago...
John Canzano @Johncanzanobft wrote:University of Portland guard Malcolm Porter has entered the transfer portal, per sources.

He has one season of eligibility left.

I’m told UP plans to meet with his father and Pilots’ coach Terry Porter this week regarding his job status.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:55 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:The only coach currently on my list to replace TP whenever he or the university decides it's time to make a change is:

Jim Shaw, currently the associate head coach at WSU.

I'm sure there are plenty of other names that will be brought up between now and whenever, but who will take the challenge of turning the program around, and at what risk to their reputations?
I consider Jim a friend, so I'm biased in my opinion of him, just as SH may be biased in his opinion of Rodrick Rhodes, but I'm not of the opinion a coach needs to be a great player to be an excellent coach...

Recruiting by using one's reputation as a player (if you're interested in recruiting) should be a plus, but I've generally been of the opinion a player who was not a star but had to work harder to make the team is the one who can identify with and develop players at the mid-major level.

Shaw threw his hat in the ring when Rev left, but TP had a great deal of backing from deep-pocketed boosters, and Shaw never really had a chance.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:11 pm

dholcombe wrote:I don't want to hire someone who is available for to getting fired from somewhere else. Anyone we should consider is going to be available for other reasons, such as wanting to move up from being an assistant....

Because we have had such great luck hiring assistants?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:55 pm

@jeffborzello wrote: Wyoming is hiring Northern Colorado’s Jeff Linder as its next head coach, sources told ESPN. Linder has won 20-plus games each of the last three seasons.

Good hire by Wyoming, it would seem.

Now what happens with the Big Sky Coach of the Year, Shantay Legans?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by SpikeHoops Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:00 pm

I have personal experience with Shaw as well and Jim was an NAIA All-American at WOU (formally WOSC) back in the 1980's...so, we wasn't a "scrub" back in his day. He has been around the coaching ranks for many years (30+) and has a lot of contacts but, is not a coach that players would gravitate toward in my opinion.

SpikeHoops
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmAlacki Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:21 pm

Until he quit and transferred to that basketball powerhouse USC.

What is equally impressive is he played at St Anthony's for Coach Hurley.

Referring to him as my boy is not a negative to me.

Dean Murdoch wrote:
JimmAlacki wrote:Concordia had a record of 5-23. Great pick

Yeah but he played for your boy Pitino at Kentucky!

I took SpikeHoops' suggestion and googled him. Rhodes has one helluva story - https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/446950-360162-all-rhodes-led-him-to-concordia - and with little else to do these days, I might just watch an episode or two of the Us Against the World documentary.

JimmAlacki
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2019-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by optimist Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:34 pm

The fact it hasn't happened yet makes me think they don't have the cash to buy him out as has been suggested by others on the forum. If so, then pay him and have one of the assistants take over as interim coach as we've discussed (Idaho and nau both are coming off years with interim coaches, to name a couple). This would at least show an attempt to make things better. With all the virus uncertainty, seems like this is the most prudent thing to do. Current kids are home for rest of year, recruiting is postponed for who knows how long... It will be tough to get a good candidate to take the job given all the uncertainty. Some continuity would probably be good for a year. But please, please let TP go.

Last edited by optimist on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total

optimist
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2019-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:16 pm

optimist wrote:The fact it hasn't happened yet makes me think they don't have the cash to buy him out as has been suggested by others on the forum.
That could be true, especially with the precipitous drop in the market...on the other hand, Porter and Leykam are reportedly set to meet in the next day or two.
optimist wrote: Current kids are home for rest of year, recruiting is postponed for who knows how long...
There are a surprising number of players still hanging around campus, and last I took a looked, the assistants are still hustling and recruiting via social media and telephone...only in-person visits are currently banned.

From the SMC Volleyball website:
Bringing Back Porter - Page 9 Etkud_10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:49 am

Might one conclude by this point that Porter is not inclined to resign voluntarily, at least without compensation, else why would you need a meeting to discuss the issue? Why would that meeting arguably be delayed until now if there were not need for a discussion of issues, such as Porter's continued tenure?

It looks as though if change is to be made, the administration will need to act.

It remains uncertain obviously. Wouldn't it be a nice surprise if Porter in fact resigned voluntarily after waiting until now.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:19 am

wrv wrote:Why would that meeting arguably be delayed until now if there were not need for a discussion of issues, such as Porter's continued tenure?

Because of a global pandemic, perhaps?

Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:50 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:
wrv wrote:Why would that meeting arguably be delayed until now if there were not need for a discussion of issues, such as Porter's continued tenure?

Because of a global pandemic, perhaps?

Perhaps you should read the post and not take the quote out of context. The question was dependent on Porter's voluntary resignation, so clearly stated but not in the quote.

By the way, it is apparent that other schools have acted to change their coaching staff despite the pandemic.

Walking and chewing gum at the same time are admirable attributes in an athletic director and athletic administration.

Last edited by wrv on Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:12 am

wrv wrote:Perhaps you should read the post and not take the quote out of context. The question was dependent on Porter's voluntary resignation, so clearly stated but not in the quote.

Fine. Let's try this again.

wrv wrote:Might one conclude by this point that Porter is not inclined to resign voluntarily, at least without compensation, else why would you need a meeting to discuss the issue? Why would that meeting arguably be delayed until now if there were not need for a discussion of issues, such as Porter's continued tenure?

There's your whole quote. My response is the same, LITERALLY BECAUSE OF A GLOBAL PANDEMIC. You don't think that the continent almost completely shutting down over this would slide a comparatively minor matter such as who coaches the Portland Pilots men's basketball team next year down the priority list just a tad? Even in the simplest scenario of Porter just resigning, there's still work to be done - HR, comms, maybe even the school's general counsel needs to be in the discussion when there's a high-profile employee involved. And let me assure you, the people in these offices have had bigger fish to fry over the past week - hard to believe it hasn't even been a full week since Rudy Gobert tested positive and the world shut down, and that was only the day after the WBB team won the WCC tournament.

I get it wrv, it would be nice to have answers. But I think in this case, there needs to be patience without jumping to conclusions. We are truly in uncharted waters here as humanity.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:38 am

I can confirm that virtually the entire campus is shut down and most everyone is working from home.

On the bright side, it's finally easy to find a parking space.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:46 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I  can confirm that virtually the entire campus is shut down and most everyone is working from home.

On the bright side, it's finally easy to find a parking space.

I am enjoying that there are no school zones!

If/When Coach Porter departs, we'll start griping about why a new coach is not already hired. Then about why that guy, not another guy. Then about why recruiting isn't better. And so on. So it is with us fans.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:20 pm

up7587 wrote:I am enjoying that there are no school zones!  
Some of us of a certain age are supposed to shelter-in-place, but when I do have to run an errand I try to do it as quickly as possible before the governor's snipers get me.
Bringing Back Porter - Page 9 Your_s10

No, this has nothing to do with the Porter Watch, but it does have everything with having to work from home, which is not easy when all you do is give flight instruction.   Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:03 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I  can confirm that virtually the entire campus is shut down and most everyone is working from home.
If Porter and Leykam are meeting, it's not happening on campus as Fr. Mark has moved UP to “essential personnel only" status.
UP President Fr. Mark Poorman wrote:Dear Faculty and Staff,

I write with an important announcement on our University’s continued operations during the COVID-19 pandemic.

This morning, we were informed that a University employee’s loved one may have been exposed to COVID-19. This exposure has not yet been confirmed. The subject University employee works in Waldschmidt Hall. Out of an abundance of caution, we have closed the first floor of Waldschmidt Hall and other selected areas for deep cleaning.

The University will today move to essential personnel status across the entire campus. Online instruction will continue as planned.

All faculty and staff should closely monitor their UP email addresses for additional information about this very fluid situation. Any staff who have questions should direct them to Human Resources. Any faculty with questions should direct them to the Provost’s Office.

I am holding you and your loved ones in my prayers today, as are the members of the Congregation of Holy Cross here on campus. I ask that you pray for all who have been impacted by this pandemic, for our leaders and healthcare professionals, and for our UP community.

Sincerely,

Father Mark
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:34 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
up7587 wrote:I am enjoying that there are no school zones!  
Some of us of a certain age are supposed to shelter-in-place, 

And some of us are spending way more time on YouTube than we should, as a consequence.

Bringing Back Porter - Page 9 66aa1e10

Sophie has been spending a couple hours a day watching birds, mice, and squirrels.

But the stay home plan isn’t working. Normally when we take our afternoon walk we see a couple dog walkers. Today we passed maybe a hundred potentially infected people.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Seeing commercials touting drinking in bars and eating in restaurants. All forbidden to us know.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:23 am

NY Times wrote:WASHINGTON — A federal government plan to combat the coronavirus warned policymakers last week that a pandemic “will last 18 months or longer” and could include “multiple waves,” resulting in widespread shortages that would strain consumers and the nation’s health care system.
The federal government plan would seem to indicate we've got a lot more to be concerned with than a new coach to replace Terry Porter or a lack of toilet paper.

If the dire prediction that the pandemic will last 18 months or more comes to fruition, it would mean the Pilots will go undefeated next season (as will all the other teams) and Porter's contract will simply expire in April 2021.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-plan.html
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:57 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
NY Times wrote:WASHINGTON — A federal government plan to combat the coronavirus warned policymakers last week that a pandemic “will last 18 months or longer” and could include “multiple waves,” resulting in widespread shortages that would strain consumers and the nation’s health care system.
The federal government plan would seem to indicate we've got a lot more to be concerned with than a new coach to replace Terry Porter or a lack of toilet paper.

If the dire prediction that the pandemic will last 18 months or more comes to fruition, it would mean the Pilots will go undefeated next season (as will all the other teams) and Porter's contract will simply expire in April 2021.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-plan.html

If the dire predictions comes true we'll have more to be concerned than posting on message boards - all message boards except for www.whosgottoiletpaper.com of course.

While I appreciate the Federal government putting some thought processing toward the potential dire scenarios (finally), I would think of our school and athletic administration to be thinking in the opposite direction, like the potential of the pandemic ending sooner rather than later.  DoubleDip are you suggesting that UP bank on the pandemic cancelling next year's basketball season?

UP administration has a job to do - they need to get on with doing it.

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next