Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

B. J. Porter

2 posters

Go down

B. J. Porter Empty B. J. Porter

Post by Guest Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:41 pm

Anyone remember him? He transferred to Weber State and now he transferred to Azusa Pacific. Was he a promising basketball player during his time at UP?

http://www.apu.edu/athletics/basketball/mens/roster/porterbj/

Back to top Go down

B. J. Porter Empty Re: B. J. Porter

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:59 pm

BJ is a gifted athlete! I believe he was a triple and/or high jumper in track in HS and, as a result, he threw down some great dunks, especially off alley-oops.

As far as basketball skill, I'd think of him as Kevin Bailey Zero (a step below Kevin Bailey Light). He had bounce and he shot an OK 3-ball but he wasn't standout, in my memory.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:54 pm

B.J. is a terrific athlete, and some would say, a very good looking man! B.J. has done some professional modeling and has appeared in a number of videos.

B.J., a terrific leaper, played the 08-09 season, and one game in 09-10 for the Pilots before heading back to Utah to be near his ailing father. Not needing to redshirt a season, B.J. played for Weber State last year, and as you point out, is now at NAIA Azusa Pacific.

We already have a short thread on B.J. on PN, but the video is now gone. Here it is again: http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots/106-Basketball
Man, can cheers he JUMP!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:16 pm

It's usually fun to follow some of our favorite UP athletes as they progress through life.....and that has been the case with BJ Porter.

For those relatively new to PN, BJ Porter played at UP and Weber State before finishing his career and graduating from Azusa Pacific, where he earned All-Pacific West Conference honors in 2013. Porter played professionally in Mexico before returning to Utah to help his dad, the boy's coach at his alma mater Layton Christian Academy.

The former LCA star, who helped the Eagles win a state title in 2007, has been now been hired as the new girls’ basketball coach at LCA. While Bobby Porter has led the Eagles boys’ basketball teams to two state titles in the last seven years, son BJ, who was an assistant on his father’s staff last season, has been hired to help the girls’ program get back on track.

"I am excited to pursue this opportunity and challenge," said BJ Porter in a release from the school. "I look forward to spending the spring and summer working with the girls to improve individual fundamentals as well as their game."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down