Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Season

+10
eProf
wrv
PilotNut
Stonehouse
StudentPilot
Sound Voltex
ExpatPilot
Geezaldinho
ejjqb
DoubleDipper
14 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

2017 Season Empty 2017 Season

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:18 pm

The 2017 season gets underway this coming Saturday at Merlo Field as the Pilots begin their spring schedule with two games:

March 4, Saturday
vs. Corbin, 12 p.m. (Merlo Field)
vs. Seattle Pacific, 7 p.m. (Merlo Field)

March 12, Sunday
at Seattle Sounders 2, 7 p.m. (Starfire Sports Complex)

March 18, Saturday
vs. Timbers 2, 11 a.m. (Merlo Field)

April 1, Saturday
Alumni Game, 7 p.m. (Merlo Field)

April 15, Saturday
at Oregon State, 3 p.m. (Pacific Northwest Cup - Corvallis, Ore.)

April 22, Saturday
Gonzaga vs. Portland/Oregon State, 2 p.m. (Pacific Norwest Cup – Merlo Field)
Washington vs. Portland/Oregon State, 4 p.m. (Pacific Norwest Cup – Merlo Field)

Admission to all the games at Merlo Field is FREE!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2017 Season Empty Re: 2017 Season

Post by ejjqb Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks for the info. Anything on the women's schedule?

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:29 pm

Not UP men's soccer's finest day.

At noon, they dropped a 0-1 decision to Corbin.

And things didn't look any better at 7:00, as they trailed 1-3 a few minutes into the second half in a light drizzle before they scored three straight to eek out a 4-3 decision against SPU.

After each match they simulated a shootout. I don't know about the early match, but they lost the SPU shootout by a goal.

Spring training is going better for the drum squad.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:59 pm

I, for one, am counting down the days until the start of the next soccer season.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Only noticed this cause I guess someone on the Facebooks is friends with him.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/040417aaa.html

DENVER – Former Portland Pilots midfielder Jacob Hanlin (Denver, Colo.) has transferred to the University of Denver men’s soccer program to join the Pioneers for the 2017 season, head coach Jamie Franks announced today. Hanlin is the brother of 2016 Pioneer senior Karsten Hanlin.

“We are excited to add Jacob to the family because it’s another important piece to our roster and our culture,” Franks said. “Jacob’s industrious approach and his technical ability as a forward makes him a goal scoring threat at all times. He has a goal scorer’s mentality that allows him to make an impact in the game. His physical presence should also add a different dimension to our attack. Jacob has an advantage over most transfers because he understands the rigors and demands that a Denver student-athlete encounters, which will allow him to be successful here. He is not intimidated by the commitment level and relishes an opportunity for a fresh start.”

Jacob Hanlin will enter his redshirt-junior season when he joins the Pioneers in 2017.

Hanlin made 12 appearances with the Pilots in a 2015 campaign that saw the Cherry Creek H.S. product score in games against Santa Clara and Pacific.

Prior to his time in Portland, Hanlin was a Colorado Rapids Development Academy product and a state cup MVP with the Colorado Storm in 2011.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:31 pm

I remember seeing Hanlin on campus last year, but don't recall him ever playing, but I guess you cannot take a medical redshirt year, as he did when he got to UP, and then another one because he didn't play....

We lost at Denver in double-OT last season, maybe we'll see Hanlin in a Denver uniform at UP this season.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon May 01, 2017 11:01 am

Coach CV just can't stop adding these highly regarded recruits. My goodness. We have to keep this man in Portland.

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2017/5/1/caua-soares-joins-the-heralded-mens-soccer-recruiting-class.aspx

Edit: I didn't realize until checking Top Drawer Soccer Transfer Tracker that Jackson Jellah is transferring to Grand Canyon and Jacob Hanlin is transferring to Denver. Good luck to them both. On a personal note, Grand Canyon's business dealings are iffy.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Mon May 01, 2017 2:55 pm

Too bad about Jellah. He brought real excitement to the game and was fun to watch. Interesting that he has already been deleted from the team roster.

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon May 01, 2017 3:21 pm

It would be even more interesting if he were still on the roster, since he has already transferred and the GCU website already has him playing in Spring games there.

http://www.gculopes.com/news/2017/4/20/msoc-spring-season-wrap.aspx
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon May 01, 2017 4:27 pm

Jackson will certainly be missed, not only on the field... he was a great personality around campus too.

But I can understand it... he was recruited by the previous staff, and started coming off the bench a lot more as the 2016 season progressed.

Interesting that it's GCU though... there have been rumors for a while that they want to get into the WCC. I doubt that will ever happen as long as they are for-profit, but you never know - if something wacky ends up happening and Gonzaga/BYU left the conference, they could become a more realistic option.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:05 pm

2017 men's soccer schedule is out! Looks like a good one with lots of home games. I am excited about the exhibition versus Stanford. There are actually a good number of games against top opponents.

Unfortunately I will probably not be able to make it to the game against Virginia. It's being played on a Monday night. If it were on the weekend I would make the 8 hour drive.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Roster has been updated.

http://portlandpilots.com/roster.aspx?path=msoc

With so many people on the roster it's hard to tell who's new. The one newbie that I don't recognize and I don't think got a official announcement is Jamison Gunhus.

https://twitter.com/jamisongunhus/status/860306431114788864
https://www.fieldlevel.com/app/commitments/jamison.gunhus/soccermen

It looks like from this article he was originally classified under 2018.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/usynt-top-150-defender-commits-for-2018_aid41858

Looks like we already have some 2018 recruits verbally committed already.

Defender Kelee Cornfield-Saunders committed to join Portland with the class of 2018, a source confirmed to TopDrawerSoccer.com.

Cornfield Saunders is one of the top defenders expected to go the college route in 2018, and is the No. 43 ranked player in the Boys IMG Academy Top 150 for his class.

Over the past few years, Cornfield-Saunders has been in and out of the picture for the U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team. He made the roster for the 2015 Nike Friendlies, and traveled to Mexico City with the team in August 2016.

The 2018 recruiting class is coming together nicely for the Pilots, as Cornfield-Saunders joins Jake Arteaga, Jamison Gunhus, RJ Stretch and Gregory Tracey as verbal commitments for next year.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:49 am

Three new additions to the roster! All of them international players: http://portlandpilots.com/news/2017/8/8/pilots-add-three-more-to-the-mens-soccer-roster.aspx

Already one of the top-ranked recruiting classes in the country, the incoming group for the Portland Pilots men's soccer team just keeps keeping better as head coach Nick Carlin-Voigt has added three more to the roster. Hanno Antoni (Mannheim, Germany/Oglethorpe/Barry Univ.), Luke Hendel (Berlin, Germany/John-Lennon Gymnasium) and Spencer Meyers (Liverpool, England/Wade Deacon HS) have all committed to the program and will join the Pilots this season.

Welcome Hanno, Luke, and Spencer!

That's 32 guys on the roster now... playing time competition will be pretty fierce, I imagine.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:54 pm

This is great but how many of these guys actually have scholarships? Seems they have to be spread pretty thin per player.

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:44 pm

ejjqb wrote:This is great but how many of these guys actually have scholarships?  Seems they have to be spread pretty thin per player.
UP is now slightly above average on the number of players on the team with 32, but some of the better teams have even more players, and the D1 average is generally around 29-30 players per team.

As the men are allowed 9.9 scholarships per team, one can do the math and figure the average player is on a 34% scholarship....but of course some players have a higher percentage and some a lower percentage.

Since soccer is an equivalency sport, partial scholarships can be awarded as long as the combined awards do not exceed the 9.9 limit (the women are entitled to 14 scholarships).
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:04 am

Article from Portland Tribune regarding upcoming season.

http://www.pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/368884-241164-kicking-into-gear
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:37 am

Sound Voltex wrote:Article from Portland Tribune regarding upcoming season.

http://www.pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/368884-241164-kicking-into-gear
Good article with insight into what goes on behind the scenes that we fans rarely consider or know about...

I don't know about the players, but I am really stoked and ready for the season to begin:

StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:37 pm

The dorms open for new students tomorrow (Thursday 8/24) and their 4 day orientation begins.....and part of that orientation includes the Pilots match against UNLV on Friday evening at 7.

It is also Bite on the Bluff night with various food carts providing plenty to eat, including Voodoo Donuts.

If all 1,000+ new students and their parents and the Villa Drum Squad show up it should be a boystrous beginning to the Pilots regular season.

Held to just one goal in their 3 exhibition games....can the Pilots add to the opening night excitement?
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:19 pm

No. 15 in a preseason (read: meaningless) poll. I will take that!

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-national-rankings/men

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:13 am

StudentPilot wrote:The dorms open for new students tomorrow (Thursday 8/24) and their 4 day orientation begins.....and part of that orientation includes the Pilots match against UNLV on Friday evening at 7.

It is also Bite on the Bluff night with various food carts providing plenty to eat, including Voodoo Donuts.

If all 1,000+ new students and their parents and the Villa Drum Squad show up it should be a boystrous beginning to the Pilots regular season.

Held to just one goal in their 3 exhibition games....can the Pilots add to the opening night excitement?

Exciting times! I received an email a few days ago indicating that they expect a near-sellout for the match.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:47 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:No. 15 in a preseason (read: meaningless) poll. I will take that!

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-national-rankings/men

I hope you enjoyed that while you could.  They  lost to an unranked team that outplayed them  and will have to learn to stop running around like chickens and play soccer to see that ranking again..

The only success this summer is a tie against an NAIA team in a non-counting match.

Lots to sort out if they hope to match last year's success.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:51 am

Question for anyone who attended Sunday's match: was Fairfield that bad or did we play that well? Sunday evening time seemed to do wonders for attendance as far as I could tell from the press box/TV angle.

Pilots blank Fairfield 6-0

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:45 am

First, attendance. The 1700 in the box score has to include season ticket holders not in attendance as there were no more than 100 in the main stands. As for Fairfield, the loss of their center back to a knee injury on the Pilots first goal seemed to take the wind out of their sails. They looked pretty good up to that point. From then on they looked like a team that was playing 3000 miles from home at the end of a long trip. To the Pilots credit, the score could have been a lot worse if the guys had decided that they wanted to pour it on. They did seem more organized than on Friday night but UNLV was clearly a better team than Fairfield.

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:36 am

Well, lots of us from the main stands retreated to the shady corners in GA, but yeah , attendance wasn't what it was on Friday.

UNLV was ranked in the Bennet rankings at about 120 and Fairfield at 176 out of 206. Part of the difference might be that Fairfield had nobody to beat the back line and part that UP was better organized, not getting distracted by the extra curricular stuff and concentrating on soccer. A couple new guys, notably Romero and Myers, will be major contributors.

It's a little disconcerting that the refs ignored shots to the head for the second straight match.

A fun evening, but I don't think either performance tell us where the team will be in December. I'd rather see Sunday's team than Friday's Pilots.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:50 am

Looks like the men's team is continuing it's winning ways as of late with the 5-0 win over CS Fullerton. I'm very jealous that I am not able to come to any of their games. I hope you all are enjoying watching their games live!

PILOTS GOAL!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next