Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 Season

+10
eProf
wrv
PilotNut
Stonehouse
StudentPilot
Sound Voltex
ExpatPilot
Geezaldinho
ejjqb
DoubleDipper
14 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

2017 Season - Page 2 Empty Re: 2017 Season

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:21 am

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote: I hope you all are enjoying watching their games live!
As a first-time soccer season ticket holder, I don't think I could have picked a better time to watch UP men's soccer....

Last evening's game was dominated by CSF until about the 35 minute mark when UP finally started to play ball control and started making short controlled passes instead of the usual long over the top game.  

The second half started off with some rancor and chippiness when CSF didn't even take the field until about 2 minutes had run off the clock, but by the end, it was more about the CSF players yelling at one another after the Pilots started hitting the back of the net.

It is rare to compliment a referee, but last night's ref was excellent at stopping the game and pulling players aside to discuss their deportment and the rules of the game, and by doing so keeping the game from getting out of hand as has happened quite a bit in men's soccer games lately.  I hope he'll be back to ref more games.  

Tough to pick a favorite player or MVP at this point in the season, but I really like the play of 5-5/135 sophomore Rey Ortiz from Acapulco.....he's in the middle of everything!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:31 am

DD, great to have you and your insights back! I was missing your posts. If I am reading your post correctly, did the referee start the clock at the start of the second half with CSF not even on the field yet? That's an interesting interpretation of soccer rules by the NCAA if true.

Glad you are enjoying Pilot soccer now!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:21 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:DD, great to have you and your insights back! I was missing your posts. If I am reading your post correctly, did the referee start the clock at the start of the second half with CSF not even on the field yet? That's an interesting interpretation of soccer rules by the NCAA if true.

Glad you are enjoying Pilot soccer now!
Thanks...I was just "kicking it" in July and August.

Yes, the Pilots came out on the pitch to "warm up" (it was close to 90 degrees with ash falling from the sky from the fires that are still raging in the Gorge) about 10 minutes before the second half began.....CSF did not appear until the clock was already running a couple of minutes into the second half.

I have no idea what the rules are (several semi-witty remarks were heard from the stands), but the ref and the Pilots just stood in their ready positons until the Titans finally ran onto the field with the clock already running.

I was told by someone who should know these things that this was "normal" procedure, however, I'm finding that these days "normal" is just a setting on our washing machines....Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:19 pm

I did not attend but watched the game on video stream. Game was great to watch. Ortiz goal off the outside of his foot, bending from left to right, tucked into the far post, with defenders closing in, was something. Hendel's chip over the goalie showed skill, as did his flip in celebration.

Looking forward to more.

Enduring ash fall through the game I suspect is affecting some sinuses today.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:02 pm

wrv wrote: Ortiz goal off the outside of his foot, bending from left to right, tucked into the far post, with defenders closing in, was something.
You're not the only one to think that, wrv. Ortiz' goal was selected as the WCC #1 play of the week:
https://twitter.com/TheWtv

Interesting to note that Gonzaga is ranked #22 and Pacific is ranked #23 in the nation.....good for them.  It not only gives the WCC some prestige, it gives UP an opportunity to be a ranked team killer!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by eProf Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:54 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Yes, the Pilots came out on the pitch to "warm up" (it was close to 90 degrees with ash falling from the sky from the fires that are still raging in the Gorge) about 10 minutes before the second half began.....CSF did not appear until the clock was already running a couple of minutes into the second half.

I have no idea what the rules are (several semi-witty remarks were heard from the stands), but the ref and the Pilots just stood in their ready positons until the Titans finally ran onto the field with the clock already running.

I was told by someone who should know these things that this was "normal" procedure, however, I'm finding that these days "normal" is just a setting on our washing machines....Rolling Eyes
Here is are a few seconds of video, first showing the scoreboard/clock, and then showing the second-half kickoff: link.
eProf
eProf
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:47 am

To DD: assuming we take care of business this week, we should be ranked too. That OT loss to UNLV really set us back. But, we know those human polls don't matter as much as the RPI. This UCSB fan has been making projections of the RPI (like KenPom or UPSoccerFanatic) that has us at 35, Gonzaga at 59, Saint Mary's at 25, San Diego at 64, and Pacific at 5(!). But, it's early in the season so who knows? RPI Projections Link

eProf: Thanks for the video. In the past I had watched many Pilot games where our women's team wouldn't emerge from the locker room until after the clock hit zero for halftime and the referees never started the 2nd half clock. But, back then the clock counted down. I only recently noticed that the clock counts upwards (like the rest of soccer) in the college game. I wonder if, as a result of that change, the referee has the discretion to start the second half clock whenever and wait until the other team comes out. That could provide an advantage or disadvantage to the team on the field or the team in the locker room depending on the circumstance. Weird.

Last edited by SouthCarolinaPilot on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clock; not block.)

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:55 am

The 2017 NCAA rules say the clock may count up or down, but still recommends the clock count down.

The only thing the rules say about the halftime interval is that it is 15 minutes. It can be shorter by mutual consent, and can be extended during the playoffs.

I do remember reading tournament rules that say the referee is to give a 5 minute warning to the locker rooms, but I don't know if they do that during the season.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Isn't it true (at UP at least) that the clock counts down for the women's games and up for the men's games?

I know there are a lot of soccer "purists" who prefer the clock that counts up.

I personally could care less which way the clock goes as long as the scoreboard clock, which is controlled by the ref, tells me how much time is actually left in the game. I prefer that to the ref suddenly adding time at the end of a match that we thought might be over. (I've really liked that the refs have been stopping the clock this season for "hydration breaks," especially since we fans can now buy beer at the UP games and drink it in the stands!)

What I don't care for are the two 10-minute overtime periods to determine a winner (especially after UP lost to UNLV with about 2 second to go in the second overtime period Evil or Very Mad ). If the game goes 90 minutes and the teams are tied....then so be it! Yes, if it's a single elimination tournament then by all means have an overtime/shootout to determine a winner, but otherwise call it a draw.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:39 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Isn't it true (at UP at least) that the clock counts down for the women's games and up for the men's games?

I know there are a lot of soccer "purists" who prefer the clock that counts up.

I personally could care less which way the clock goes as long as the scoreboard clock, which is controlled by the ref, tells me how much time is actually left in the game. I prefer that to the ref suddenly adding time at the end of a match that we thought might be over. (I've really liked that the refs have been stopping the clock this season for "hydration breaks," especially since we fans can now buy beer at the UP games and drink it in the stands!)

What I don't care for are the two 10-minute overtime periods to determine a winner (especially after UP lost to UNLV with about 2 second to go in the second overtime period Evil or Very Mad ). If the game goes 90 minutes and the teams are tied....then so be it! Yes, if it's a single elimination tournament then by all means have an overtime/shootout to determine a winner, but otherwise call it a draw.

This year both teams are counting up, and the clock is 90 minutes.
Both teams used to count down 45 minute halves. Then the league mandated counting up for the men before the women.
Some schools were counting up 45 minutes, but that may have been a hardware issue.
Counting up 90 minutes is how the box score has always been anyway.

The last time I went to a Boca Jrs match in Argentina, there was no game clock at all in the stadium.
I guess everybody figured the ref knew how to keep time. His is the only accounting that matters, anyway.

I think the reason the NCAA tries to avoid ties is that it makes it more difficult to differentqiate large groups of teams in the RPI.

The bottom half of the selection bracket is working within the margin of error for a 20 game schedule as it is.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:45 pm

@PortlandPilots wrote: Head Coach Nick Carlin-Voigt to discuss the 2017 season. Tune in to @CSNNW at 9pm!
Portside with the Pilots is now a weekly feature on CSNNW at 9pm every Wednesday.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:53 pm

I asked a referee forum about  the referee starting the clock before the team arrived on the pitch.

Here is a response:

Ref ( who i believe is in the NW) wrote: not normal. 6.3.6 The timekeeper shall start the clock when the ball is put into play;" Unusual, at least around here, for the referee to be the timekeeper (other than local community college rules). Perhaps the referee was confused by "7.2 The halftime interval shall start immediately when the first half ends and be 15 minutes...." The immediately part only applies to starting the halftime period/clock, not ending it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 am

It just couldn't be generally OK for a team to shorten the second half by coming out late. Consider a team with a lead that wanted to reduce the amount of time the opponent had to catch up (not the case last week) or a team that was going to be playing into a stiff wind (or setting sun) during the second half.

And, as a former referee, I totally disagree with the clock being definitive. "Added time" is an important part of game management. There are just too many ways to waste time on dead balls in soccer, for example, taking 30-40 seconds before taking a throw-in or free kick or repeated substitutions. Unless you want the clock to stop whenever the ball goes out of play (as in basketball), there needs to be a way to take care of out-of-play time-wasting. The referee can give a yellow card, but that's extreme. In managing a FIFA-laws game, whenever I would see a coach or player engaging in these tactics I could simply walk by and say "I'm adding on time." They usually got the message and desisted with the behavior, or else I just added time and the trailing team got an appropriate opportunity to level the score.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:36 am

All of your points are well-taken however the clock is the rule in college soccer. I don't see how the referee has the discretion to add time at the end when the announcer is counting down the time to the horn that always sounds. If the referee does in fact have this discretion, I've never seen it and good luck getting everything going again after the horn has sounded. The referee does have power to stop the clock for certain instances and the time-wasting issues mentioned have been used in the past to do just that. These have also ended up with yellow cards being issued. It is really up to the ref to set the standard of conduct by taking action when he sees time wasting taking place. The Pilots have been major abusers of the slow retreat from the field on substitutions this year and the ref has done nothing about it. They will continue until the ref takes charge.

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:45 pm

You are correct. There is no discretion or added time in college (or high school), only under FIFA Laws (which high school and college do not follow). That's why they have the count-down and the horn. I just like the FIFA system better because it does not require formally stopping the clock or given potentially multiple cards for repeated infractions.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:14 pm

Heading home from Corvallis with a bunch of UP fans after watching the Pilots control the game and Rey hitting the back of the net for a 1-0 win.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:47 am

Since Oregon State is the only other men's soccer team in the state, I guess this makes us state champions? The women are also at least able to say as much.

Also, while the two losses on the record may seem bad, they both came in overtime. So, we are competitive. The Virginia game will be really telling for this team.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:07 pm

After three losses in their last four games (they're now 4-4), the guys are going to need our support this coming Friday when they face Western Michigan, a team that rose to #9 in the Coaches Soccer poll today after improving their record to 9-0-1 after a pair of shutouts against #22 Michigan and Maryland Baltimore County.

WMU is ranked in the top 10 nationally in assists per game (2.7, 6th), points per game (6.9, 8th), shots per game (17, 5th), shots on goal per game (7.7, 6th), total assists (27, 2nd), total goals (21, 4th) and total points (69, 3rd).

If Coach Carlin-Voigt was looking for some strong preseason tests for his squad, he’s certainly gotten them.  After the WMU game the Pilots will travel to Charlottesville to play the #10 Cavaliers on Monday before coming home on Saturday October 7 to begin WCC play against a tough Pacific squad.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:41 pm

Does anyone know anything about Matthew Coffey? He has been such a solid holding midfielder for so long, but he hasn't played (that I've seen) since the early weeks of the season. Is he out injured? Does anyone know when he might return to the lineup?
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:16 pm

I believe I saw Coffey playing in today's game. Which answers part of your question. My question is this: did the Villa Drum Squad take today's game off? We are playing a top-10 opponent at home on a Friday night.

MAJOR EDIT:

I take back what I said about Villa because I could hear drums at the game. They just weren’t at full force.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Had to leave early but can vouch for Coffey starting, assisting on the first goal and scoring the third goal with a header off a great feed. The Villa Drum Squad was not there along with the rest of the student body. Maybe 20-30 students in attendance on a pretty nice night for soccer. The highlight of the night was watching the WMU coach constantly yelling at either the ref or his players or his fellow coaches in a very demonstrative way. Quite a show. But the Pilots looked good against a solid team.

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:12 pm

A huge victory for the guys tonight! 4-1 over the #9 team in the country! The Pilots even looked pretty dominant for most of the match in my opinion. They controlled possession and looked dangerous on the attack. I hope Benji will be alright. He went down grabbing his calf right after he scored that final goal for us.

Virginia will be a real test for this team. I hope they learn something from that match. I also hope more people turn out for their next home match against Pacific. As the WCC coaches predicted Pacific going 1 and us 2, this could be the match that determines the conference. At least we get it at home this year. Pacific was our only dropped points in WCC play last year and we had to play them down in Stockton.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadrach Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:43 pm

A great win for the Pilots tonight no doubt about that. I too was wondering where the Villa drum squad was only to learn that their dorm retreat was tonight and most of the residents participated. A small group showed up with drums during the 2nd half. We sure missed the full squad but the group that finally came to the game lifted spirits throughout Merlo.

Shadrach
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:17 pm

SoreKnees wrote:Does anyone know anything about Matthew Coffey?
Of course we all know now he played and scored a wonderful goal, but he told me after the game that he's been out with a "sore knee" and had originally expected to return next week.

Also spoke with Benji after we saw him go down after scoring his second goal with what appeared to be more than just a minor injury, but with a large ice pack on his upper right ankle he declared it to be "nothing but a bad bruise, I'll be fine."

The guys headed to the airport at 6 this morning on their way to Charlottesville to face the tradition of great Virginia soccer (seven national championships, I believe), but they've got to be feeling good about the possibility of turning their season around with last night's win.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:47 pm

After watching the replay of Benji’s second goal, I think that a WMU player might have caught his ankle as he planted his foot to push the ball past the keeper. He then ran a few steps probably before his senses caught up to him that “hey that hurts.”

This win is an RPI boost for this team. Getting any kind of result against Virginia would too but I suspect that even losing to them will help the resume. I will only feel confident if we win the conference because that’s a guaranteed bid.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next