Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 Recruiting

+16
mikemac65
SoCalPilot
Dean Murdoch
blacksheep
pilotram
ekrauss
joshhorton
oldtimer
Geezaldinho
wrv
PurplePrideTrumpet
NoPoNeighbor
PilotNut
Rob's Jacket
DTLegend
DoubleDipper
20 posters

Page 17 of 23 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next

Go down

2015 Recruiting - Page 17 Empty Re: 2015 Recruiting

Post by Guest Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:35 pm

As a program looking for success next year.......aside from continued growth of the returners, it is the ability of Jazz Johnson to be a dependable back up PG. He doesn't need to be a star, but come in setting the tempo when Alec is out and minimizing turnovers, with the ability to hit open shots. That was missing this year, while Xubi is a great kid, and plays hard with mostly solid defense. His turnovers, and inability to hit shots was a liability. And if you look over the Sac St film, with under a minute to go, Alec drove and drew in the defense, passed to Xubi who refused to take the quality wide open shot. A shot, that if made would have given UP the lead.

The ability of Jazz to incorporate himself into that solid role of 6-10 minutes, allows Bryce to stay at his best positions, SG and SF. Where he is able to get the ball on the move, or off drive kick-outs. While Bryce has had to serve as back up PG and handled it well, he is at his best and excels playing off the ball. Furthermore, I would add that Todd should be used as a stretch 4, take the 3 when there, slasher/screener type, crash the boards hard. Which he played perfectly vs Sac St., too many minutes for Todd at the SF and you lose your ability to win the matchups of having your players at their best natural positions and you lose the speed to play an uptempo game. I would roll with this lineup if playing tonight
PG-Wintering
SG-Pressley
SF-Marshall
PF-Todd
C-Taylor

As much as defense is a mindset, and defense wins championships. A commitment to offense is a mindset as well......you can be of the mindset we have to guard and stop them, or THEY HAVE TO GUARD AND STOP US!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:49 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:But an even more intriguing 6-8 freshman at NMMI could be Andre Berry, voted as a Top-10 prep player in Rhode Island last year at St. Andrews School.  From his picture, it would appear he can take up a lot of space:  pirat
2015 Recruiting - Page 17 34andr10
In this earlier post I mentioned that Berry could be another reason Rev was in New Mexico in addition to discussions with Ray Barreno, and I said he was "intriguing."

The reason I found him to be intriguing is because of his stats in his one year NMMI: Whether it's lack of conditioning or just the coach's normal rotation, but Berry averaged only 7.3 minutes per game...

But he also averaged 5.2 rebounds per game, shot 72% from the free-throw line, and averaged 10.9 points per game.....and that pencils out to 60 points per 40 minutes.  Now I don't expect he'll ever score 60 points in a game, but it sounds like he'd have a very positive affect during his minutes played....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:57 pm

Um, I was unable to listen to the last Pilots Hoops Show of the season tonight....what did Rev and Coach Jackson have to say, and did Rev say what he was doing in New Mexico? Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:23 pm

Rev talked about Sac St, said they didn't play well, especially some players shooting 0-fers.  He said he met a prospect and watched him play today.  He's excited about the new player, but couldn't talk about him.  He's looking forward to better leadership from his guards next year, and finishing i.e. winning games better next year.  It's clear that some games we moan about that got away from us bother him too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:31 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:The reason I found him to be intriguing is because of his stats in his one year NMMI: Whether it's lack of conditioning or just the coach's normal rotation, but Berry averaged only 7.3 minutes per game...

Lack of conditioning, normal rotation.....or in this case, the official statisticians' inability to fully input minutes played for each of NMMI's games this season! They played 27 games this season, so should have a total of 5400 MPs for the year for everyone...but the individual totals only add up to less than 2000, so that stat should be thrown out the window.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:41 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:Lack of conditioning, normal rotation.....or in this case, the official statisticians' inability to fully input minutes played for each of NMMI's games this season! They played 27 games this season, so should have a total of 5400 MPs for the year for everyone...but the individual totals only add up to less than 2000, so that stat should be thrown out the window.
Hmm, sounds like something we've faced before, and I think it was the stats we saw for couple of LMU recruits who, are of course, no longer at LMU.

Well, now I have no idea if Berry is the type of player Rev would like to talk to.....and now we'll probably never find out......I was just trying to find another reason for Rev to be in New Mexico.....not a great hotbed for D1 players.....I know, I lived in Albuquerque for 4 years.

(But if he was playing an average of 20 minutes per game, and still averaging 5+ rebounds and 10+ points, he could still be a prospect I suppose....or just another spit wad falling off the ceiling.)  Embarassed
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:15 pm

blacksheep wrote:I've never seen it with a Reveno team, but I would love to see a guard-centric offense next year.
I would argue that the most successful Reveno teams have been guard-centric. The Campbell/Raivio/Stohl/Mitrovic teams were anchored by the guards. Of course there was excellent balance, and several dependable interior players, but the guards defined the team's success.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Well, maybe someone from PN can dig around and find some of those "guard-centric" game tapes to send over to the basketball offices. Wintering and Pressley matchup with any tandem out there in the WCC.......when used correctly, handed the reigns, and given freedom to play basketball!

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:30 am

Jerrel Marshall’s commitment discussed in linked article. Of note, he opines that this was the highest level of competition among his offers.

http://www.gothamhoops.com/marshall-pilots-to-wcc-commits-to-portland/

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:55 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:But an even more intriguing 6-8 freshman at NMMI could be Andre Berry, voted as a Top-10 prep player in Rhode Island last year at St. Andrews School.
Talked with an Air Force basketball coach in Alamogordo who's teams play exhibition games against JC squads....he tells me if UP wants a team that will run, "Berry is NOT your man".....he's very big, but doesn't move that well in, his estimation.
DoubleDipper wrote:It now turns out that Ray Barreno (6'11/C/2015) from New Mexico JC, has developed some interest in attending UP.....
Regarding NMJC PF Ray Barreno, the coach tells me he is a VERY good player with long wingspan who, in his estimation, would be a good D1 front line player and could be a good mentor to Philipp.  

One man's opinion, but an educated opinion.   Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:27 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:I see on Twitter that Aitor is transferring...seemed like a great teammate, have a feeling he will find a perfect place somewhere to finish off his schooling and play a bunch.
Had a quick chat with Xubi today....his head is really spinning when it comes to what he's going to do next.  

He's already talked to at least one college coach (not D1), and it would seem he would like to remain in the Portland area, or at least the Northwest, for his next school/education/basketball adventure. Basketball
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:34 pm

Both in terms of minutes played and points scored Barreno was at best pedestrian at New Mexico JC. 6, 7 or 8 players had equivalent or better numbers than Barreno, all 6’11” of him.  YOu would think his JC coach would insure ample minutes for the big guy. It is not a good sign that his minutes were limited at New Mexico, assuming the statistician accurately recorded the numbers.

Given that Barreno did nothing at Tulane before New Mexico and given that his performance was less than stellar at the JC level, you would think that a scholarship offer would have to be based on a hope for development. He will not likely make much of an impact next year if the Pilots obtain commitment.

I hope that Hartwich has the talent and drive to beat Barreno out, not as a personal matter but because I would hope for more from a starting center.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:24 pm

For various reasons, I rarely look at a player's stats as indicators, but instead usually rely on personal observation to learn a player's ability or potential, but I did look at one interesting confrontation....

When Berry and Barreno faced each other in November, Berry played 18 minutes and Barreno played 17.  In that time Berry had 4 fouls and Barreno 5.

These guys are either bangers or rather slow to react... drunken
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:37 pm

Heard an interview on radio today with Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak.  He made the point that the right players make coaches look better.  And he said he instructed his staff to not recruit any "turds". 

I do not envy Rev and staff trying to find players that are good fits for UP, want to come to UP, and also have talent or potential to compete at the top of the WCC.  Coaching basketball must be a true joy versus recruiting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:21 am

I've been a browser of this board.....and obviously a rookie poster to PN. But I feel this mindset of UP being an "Ivy League" type amongst the likes of cheating programs, bending academic standards is plain and simply wrong! The WCC has a rich history of good coaches, very good players, and most of the schools have high standards that they have maintained throughout the history. You have to get in where you fit in. And it's crucial that when you have the talent, mixed in with a returning core you need to "hit" your high mark. That's where this year stings the most......the roster had seniors, returned a core, and had talent. But they didn't "hit"!!!

Going into next season, let's hope for a Pepperdine like season! As fans we should eliminate trying to match the top 3 at the moment. Gonzaga, BYU, St. Mary's(whom by the way.....may have a drop due to some key losses, but they do like those transfers Wink, so you never know who they will get). However when I look at what Pepperdine did this season, why can't that be UP? Their roster make-up is no different, nor more "heralded" than the UP program and the rosters are very comparable. Heck one of their key contributors only received one offer to play college ball, it was Pepperdine. And Wilson found out about him through a pipeline of the players friend being on the baseball team at Pepperdine.

When you are a mid-tier program, in a tough mid-major conference. You need to maximize your roster, and your talent. And if you lack the talent......you need to be to able "coach them up" to higher levels consistently. I feel that's what Wilson did this year. He "coached' up Pepperdine to higher places than they have been in years. UP has talent, they have good players........I think many on this board fail to see that fact. There was talent this year, and there is talent next......very comparable talent to the top 5 teams. It's not about where these kids were ranked coming in........other than a few misses, the players on UP's roster have shown they can compete with other quality programs and players! It's the combo of playing well, playing together.....and "coaching them up" that has been missing. It's not about the academic standards, it's not about lack of talent simply, and also it's not about purely coaching. It's that chemistry to make it all come together......and that's what the staff gets paid to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:35 am

Great post, UP basketball!  Thank you.

I agree with your points, and that is where my rants of "change" have been coming from.  Coach Rev has had 9 years, and has not really put "it" together yet.  (Yes, we had a couple good years, but many more very poor years).  As they have not hit "it" yet (and frankly do not appear to be on the verge, either), my opinion is we need to change things up.  I liked Rev's mix-up of tourney prep for Vegas this year...  we need that times about 1,000.  We need to be not only doing things at the level of WCC competition, we need to be doing things better than the rest of the WCC to close the gap.  I think he needs to look at his assistants and see of changes need to be made there.  Changes in attitude on campus (making the program the priority).  You know how I would finish this rant/post, so I will stop there.  Razz

Last edited by PilotNut on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar be bad.)

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:28 pm

IMO the disappointment virtually everyone felt this season was because of the justifiably high expectations most had at the beginning of play this year.  

The bigs were at the peak of their college career, the successful shooters of a year ago were now going to be even better, the PG was no longer a freshman, and the freshmen that had joined the team appeared to have great potential.

So why did the team finish just one game over .500?

If one could point to one thing and say, "ah ha, there's the problem," that would be great, but it's just not that simple.  Try as I might, I cannot point a finger at the coaches.  Again, I've never coached, but during the many hours of practice that I've watched, the coaches seem to be emphasizing and teaching all that should be taught....including inbounds plays, btw.  

During games, I will admit, when Rev really goes after the guys and gets in their face, the player's performances improve and the team does very well....but no coach can or should sustain 40 minutes of "in your face" time.

The Pilots have wonderful and talented young men, but the part I see missing (and maybe it's a result of my 25 year military career) is on-court leadership!  Vocal and by example!  A leader must not be fearful of offending or being unpopular.  The leader must have drive, tenacity, and self-confidence, and not be afraid to exhibit any of those personality traits. The UP team is very close knit and honestly like each other...but someone's got to take charge!  I don't know who the captain(s) of the team will be next season, but it should not be a popularity contest and the captain must take his duties to heart and execute his duties as a leader.

If I were to be critical of college coaching in general, it's that there is often too much direction from the sideline during games. Again, going back to my military days......you've trained them, now turn them loose!  They will encounter obstacles on the court they may not have seen before, but if they are trained properly, they will come together and work out a solution.  Let the guys play!!  There have been a number of times a shot or pass will open up, but as it may not fit directly into the pregame scheme, it is passed up for a lower percentage option that is part of the overall game plan.

Sometimes the guys need to be allowed to light their hair on fire and let their fangs come out and just play....win or lose, it would be a better experience for those on the court and in the stands.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:55 pm

This is the awesome power of forums. To go back and forth, air out the opinions. I think the "lack of leadership", is a weak and hollow talking point. Let's discuss things in regard to the other programs. The best leader may be Collinsworth in regard to emotional energy. But BYU would be top 3, regardless of his outward or inward emotions. Gonzaga has the talent and history to make up for anything in regard to lack of leadership in contrast to the other WCC schools. While Pangos is an excellent shooter.....and based purely on games, he is not an overly vocal or emotional leader. Nor have I ever looked at the other WCC teams, and stated. If only we had their on court leadership, we would win this game. But if it is accurate to say leadership is the problem. That should be corrected by the coach and his staff.....and if it means 40 minutes of in your face coaching, then by all means do it!

I think this board gives Coach Reveno too many passes, and do not hold him accountable. He should be held more accountable. He is the one paid to bring more wins to UP, these players are not top20 NBA talents that are losing because they lack heart or passion. How can leaders lead when seated on the bench, in the CIT tourney game. Both Bailey and Van Der Mars Seniors, sat the entire crucial stages of the game. 4 year players, recruited by Coach Reveno, and in a tight game they rode the bench. Those type of actions make, the "lack of leadership", very hollow! And if it is the main source of the losing.....then find the solution to the leadership problem. These are his recruits, his guys. He has had time to recruit for his leadership needs. However, leadership is a top-down interaction, not the down-up interaction. While leadership is an intangible that is hard to be qualified........in watching the games I believe there are enough tangible things to focus on, then believing lack of leadership is the main issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:29 pm

I tend to agree with "Guest" in that these are Rev's recruits and his program.  While any one missed shot, shot not taken, etc. cannot directly land on his shoulders, the high level recruiting decisions, strategies, filling of needs (leadership, balanced classes, a big man for next year), etc. are exactly his responsibility.  The results of the program are his--good or bad... but you have to look at that through the lens of what limitations/resources the U provides. The U has invested a lot of additional money into the program under Rev's leadership, and the results have not been there.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:01 pm

So anyway, back on topic, 2015 Recruiting:

I see where Saddleback C Conor Clifford has received a total of three confirmed offers, and has scheduled visits to WSU and South Carolina.  The other offer is from UTEP with Mizzou in the mix.

There could be other offers, but Clifford has only confirmed the two planned visits.

Apparently coaches from five WCC schools (including UP) have been in to see him....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:15 pm

PilotNut wrote: but you have to look at that through the lens of what limitations/resources the U provides.  The U has invested a lot of additional money into the program under Rev's leadership, and the results have not been there.

Interesting take. I checked, and whatever the perception of increased money to the UP program, the fact remains that UP's head coach salary ranked 8th in the conference last year, despite Reveno being senior to all but Mark Few.
http://college-basketball-coaches.pointafter.com/d/d/West-Coast
If you factor in Women's head coaches, Rev drops to 10th. And if you include Kelly Graves at his new gig he drops to 11th. Graves made over a Half million this year, about 50% more than Rev.

There isn't a great way to track the other program expenses, but the EADA database puts UP dead last in the conference.

Dollars per win, Rev is probably actually ahead of the curve. Perhaps part of the equation might be to ask ourselves if we really have being competitive as a goal.

Maybe we just don't have or aren't willing to commit the resources to basketball.

Gonzaga, for instance, spends around six times what we do, and more on Men's basketball than the entire UP athletic budget.

BYU might actually spend more.

And lest you think Gonzaga is an outlier, Few ranks 34th in Salary among the NCAA tournament field this year.

I question whether our expectations match the commitment. Basketball is an expensive sport.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:The Pilots have wonderful and talented young men, but the part I see missing is leadership!  Vocal and by example!  A leader must not be fearful of offending or being unpopular.  The leader must have drive, tenacity, and self-confidence, and not be afraid to exhibit any of those personality traits. The UP team is very close knit and honestly like each other...but someone's got to take charge!  I don't know who the captain(s) of the team will be next season, but it should not be a popularity contest and the captain must take his duties to heart and execute his duties as a leader.
I guess we know who next year's captains are:
Bryce Pressley wrote:"Leading starts right now.  I've got to be aggressive, trust my teammates and lead. Just be the guy, the first one to the gym, and the guy who gets teammates to be in there with me. We have to show it on the court and off the court. Going to class in the summer, being in the gym non-stop. I have to show the guys they can trust me.''............(Alec and I)"up for the challenge" of leading the Pilots next season.  
A look at next season from Jason Quick of the Oregonian:  http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2015/03/eric_reveno_and_portland_pilot.html
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:39 pm

Nice read. Not stressed in the article is the fact that Reveno's stay has doubled the time of each of his immediate predecessors. I am hoping the surprise of next year is that Reveno shows us that he earns even more time on the bluff because the Pilots are winning despite their youth.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:25 pm

Wow. Again, I'm not sure what got into Quick and the Oregonian over the last few weeks of the season, but if they provide this level of coverage consistently it could really help out the program.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:15 am

I think we're beginning to see the emergence of a great point of emphasis for next season:
Coach Reveno wrote:Players that don't want the responsibility and accountability of showing leadership should never get in the way of those that do. –Tom Crean
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 23 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next