Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 Recruiting

+16
mikemac65
SoCalPilot
Dean Murdoch
blacksheep
pilotram
ekrauss
joshhorton
oldtimer
Geezaldinho
wrv
PurplePrideTrumpet
NoPoNeighbor
PilotNut
Rob's Jacket
DTLegend
DoubleDipper
20 posters

Page 15 of 23 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19 ... 23  Next

Go down

2015 Recruiting - Page 15 Empty Re: 2015 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:38 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I'm told Jarrel watched the game and was very pleased with what he saw.

What a marvelous coincidence! I, as well, watched that game and was very pleased with what I saw!
Um, do you have any eligibility left? Razz

As an amendment to my post about the possibility of a JC "big" coming to UP....I should have said big, meaning BIG.....VERY BIG, but not necessarily that tall, probably no more than 6-7 or 6-8 at the most.

But face it, Pilots fans have been spoiled by having tall guys like Thomas, Riley, and Voldy.  Best case scenario: Philipp comes back next year 25# stronger with the ability to grab the ball with both hands and hold on to it.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:32 pm

How about the ability to keep Karnowski from bulldozing his way to the basket? That might be expecting a little too much? No

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Anybody notice that Aitor stated on Twitter that he has a big decision to make? Maybe, we'll have 3 scholies to give! Livingston has done nothing, why should he get a scholie? Just sayin'

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:13 pm

Occasionally DD posts something that makes you wonder as to where he gets his information. Let’s see, in the last several years the Pilots recruited bigs (read centers) all of whom have been 6’9” or above. But now, as we are informed, the big/center we seek is the short stolid type of center whose height will not exceed 6’8” and will even perhaps be only 6’7”.

What, pray tell, would lead to such a conclusion? Do we know the as of yet undisclosed recruiting intentions of the those in charge of recruiting? Or is this simply conjecture regarding events yet to occur with little basis in fact? Or is there no one left with any talent that is over 6’8” that the Pilots can hope to get?

As his facts are reasonably accurate, generally, then tell us—consistent with the Pilot Nation code of full disclosure and complete honesty— why you would assume that such small bigs are coming are way.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:20 pm

mikemac65 wrote:Anybody notice that Aitor stated on Twitter that he has a big decision to make?  Maybe, we'll have 3 scholies to give!  Livingston has done nothing, why should he get a scholie?  Just sayin'
I haven't seen Xubi's tweet, but if it pertains to basketball, it is no secret that his dad (who's a basketball coach) is not at all happy with Xubi's lack of playing time.

If he were to transfer, stay in the US, and play basketball, I doubt it would be at the D1 level.

It's also no secret that Xubi really likes UP and his teammates and classmates....so if he is considering leaving, it IS a big decision.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:25 pm

My take is the decision is about the Hawai'ian girl.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:50 pm

up7587 wrote:How about the ability to keep Karnowski from bulldozing his way to the basket?  That might be expecting a little too much?  No

I'd just be happy if the Pilots held Karnowski to no threes next year!

Regarding "undersized" centers I think we're in for a treat if UCSB and Alan Williams come to town next week...Pepperdine saw success with their front court at 6-7 and 6-6. Interesting post by DoubleDipper if there's indeed a WIDE body that may be coming in. I had just assumed that we had heard so little about it and it's such a glaring position of need, that the staff might be reaching out to round out this recruiting class with another European.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:38 pm

wrv wrote:Occasionally DD posts something that makes you wonder as to where he gets his information.
He gets his information like most do these days, by visiting various websites and reading tweets and between the lines, but no where in my post did I say:
the big/center we seek is the short stolid type of center whose height will not exceed 6’8” and will even perhaps be only 6’7”.
But I did conjecture, without saying so, there are no JC bigs over 6-8 that are either academically qualified, are not already committed elsewhere, or are being influenced to sign with a more notable program.  But you may recall that UP once had a wide big that was "only" 6-7 named Ryan Nicholas.....and that worked out pretty well.

I have no idea if any player is actually coming UP's way, as you attribute to me in your post, but simply offered my opinion of what could happen based upon UP's needs and who is available at the JC level.

As PilotNation is a forum for discussion, but not necessarily full of facts, thanks, wrv, for participating in the discussion.  I look forward to your projections of what student-athletes may sign with UP in April.

Edit: It now turns out that Ray Barreno (6'11/C/2015) from New Mexico JC, has developed some interest in attending UP.....I have no idea what UP's interest level is.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:19 pm

Reading between the lines (again) it would appear UP recruit Jerrel Marshall, who is currently on spring break, could be in Portland next week to see the Pilots play in the CIT and then stick around another day to see the NCAA Tournament games in the Moda Center.

I think Jarrel is planning to visit Florida Atlantic after visiting Portland....unless, of course, he decides to commit to UP during his visit!! bounce
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:33 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Reading between the lines (again) it would appear UP recruit Jarrel Marshall, who is currently on spring break, could be in Portland next week to see the Pilots play in the CIT and then stick around another day to see the NCAA Tournament games in the Moda Center.

This would be great...Jarrel would be a huge piece of the puzzle for this team next year.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Reading between the lines (again) it would appear UP recruit Jarrel Marshall, who is currently on spring break, could be in Portland next week to see the Pilots play in the CIT and then stick around another day to see the NCAA Tournament games in the Moda Center.

This would be great...Jarrel would be a huge piece of the puzzle for this team next year.
Update....unless the Pilots are on the road for the 2nd round of the CIT, Jerrel and his parents will begin their visit on Friday morning.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Oakland PG Juwan Anderson is no longer considering UP....not surprising as it is not a position the Pilots are currently attempting to fill.

Anderson has visits scheduled to SMC (unofficial) and San Jose St.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:00 pm

Saw Jazz and his dad, Leland, sitting behind the bench at the game tonight.  Hard to say how they felt about the team and the coaching as we are not allowed to say much more than "hello" to either one of them until Jazz is attending classes at UP.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:13 pm

Rev sounds optimistic:
@CoachReveno wrote:Fired up about incoming class of Colin Russel, Jazz Johnson, Chiir Maker and 2 studs to be named soon. WCC is no joke and goal is to win it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:32 pm

@MyLineOfChamps wrote:2015 SF Jarrel Marshall of Palm Beach St CC(FL) will take an official visit to Portland this w/e per his head coach.

Just in case someone needed another source besides DoubleDipper. Coupled with Coach Rev's tweet, he must be feeling pretty confident about Jarrel!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Wait, who would the other stud be? Hmmm, I don't think I have any eligibility left...?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:08 am

PilotNut wrote:Wait, who would the other stud be?

Let me take a wild guess...

@EuropeanProspects wrote:Andy van Vliet from Belgium drew interest from Iona, LaSalle, Portland and Arizona so far.

http://www.eurohopes.com/player/1951/andy-van-vliet/

He's a 6'10" Belgian.

Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:16 am

Terry Cahill wrote:
PilotNut wrote:Wait, who would the other stud be?

Let me take a wild guess...

@EuropeanProspects wrote:Andy van Vliet from Belgium drew interest from Iona, LaSalle, Portland and Arizona so far.

http://www.eurohopes.com/player/1951/andy-van-vliet/

He's a 6'10" Belgian.

Keep the Benelux pipeline alive! But if Arizona is actually interested in this guy, that would probably end the Pilots' chances.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:50 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Keep the Benelux pipeline alive! But if Arizona is actually interested in this guy, that would probably end the Pilots' chances.

I had no idea what a Benelux was, so I had to google it...the things you learn from Pilot Nation.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have no idea of Van Vliet's interest in UP or vice versa, just happened to come across that tweet today. A more recent tweet from the same guy earlier this month mentions a WCC school...but it's not UP.

@ChristopheEPcom wrote:Utah, St Mary's, Washington State, San Diego, Iona, Oklahoma State and Illinois are the schools that show interest in Andy Van Vliet.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:21 pm

@CoachRev wrote:Unfortunately, today is not a GAMEDAY! But it feels like it with an exciting recruit and parents visiting from the east coast. #pilotstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:26 am

Hey, if you're heading to the Fields Bar & Grill in the Pearl District you might want to order the Jerrel Marshall Burger.....sounds awful to those of us watching our cholesterol intake, but it also sounds delicious.

Yes, Jerrel is spelled with two "r's" and just one "l", but it's the thought that counts, right?
2015 Recruiting - Page 15 Caluln10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:31 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Yes, Jerrel is spelled with two "r's" and just one "l", but it's the thought that counts, right?

While we're correcting spelling...it's Jarrel, not Jerrel Wink
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Terry Cahill wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Yes, Jerrel is spelled with two "r's" and just one "l", but it's the thought that counts, right?

While we're correcting spelling...it's Jarrel, not Jerrel Wink
Haha, UP's got a get this guy and put his FIRST name on the back of his shirt!! Embarassed
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:03 am

I see on Twitter that Aitor is transferring...seemed like a great teammate, have a feeling he will find a perfect place somewhere to finish off his schooling and play a bunch.

So that's 7 scholarship players out and 4 added for next year. Still a lot of work to be done with this recruiting class.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:50 am

@ShoooB54 wrote:No ha sido facil tomar esta decisión pero algunas veces en la vida tienes que arriesgar y tomar diferentes decisiones.

El proximo año no seguiré en Portland, llevo grandes amigos y he aprendido muchísimo durante estos dos años. Han sido dos años inolvidables.

Google Translate from: Spanish

It has not been easy to make this decision but sometimes in life you have to take risks and make different choices.

Next year I will not follow in Portland, I have great friends and I learned a lot during these two years. It has been two unforgettable years.

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 23 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19 ... 23  Next