Pilots vs. UNC

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:How many folks are on the UNC team, anyway?

Do they really need numbers in the 90's? Rolling Eyes
Like I posted last night, I counted 33 in my program.

PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Age : 35
Location : Section 18A, Row 5
Registration date : 2007-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by UPSoccerFanatic on Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm

This from a serious UNC fan posting on BigSoccer:

"Congratulations to Portland! They have a history of dedicated fans and determined players, and if the Heels must lose a season opener, then I guess I'm glad Portland (rather than someone else) got the win."

UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1701
Age : 71
Location : Portland, Oregon
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by A_Fan on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:52 pm

The video of the UNC game has been removed from the UP website.

A_Fan
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1432
Location : The country east of Hillsboro.
Registration date : 2007-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by onetouchfutbol on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:18 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:This from a serious UNC fan posting on BigSoccer:

"Congratulations to Portland! They have a history of dedicated fans and determined players, and if the Heels must lose a season opener, then I guess I'm glad Portland (rather than someone else) got the win."

Wow! What a gracious comment. UP and UNC are both good for women´s soccer. We hope to play you again at full strength in the tourney.

------------------------------------

I also wasn´t aware that we had never beaten UNC, probably because our previous tie during a national championship run felt like a win. Smile

onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Age : 45
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by Geezaldinho on Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:35 pm

A_Fan wrote:The video of the UNC game has been removed from the UP website.

But highlights are up.


Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10315
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by Geezaldinho on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:27 pm


Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10315
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by A_Fan on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:35 am

Thanks for the link, good photos although the photographer seems to have a fixation on forwards.

A_Fan
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1432
Location : The country east of Hillsboro.
Registration date : 2007-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by Geezaldinho on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Hot off the presses

SAN BRUNO, Calif. --The West Coast Conference has named its women's soccer Player of the Week for August 20, 2012.

WEST COAST CONFERENCE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ELLEN PARKER, JR., M, PORTLAND
Portland junior Ellen Parker is the WCC Player of the Week. She scored what would prove to be the game-winner in the fifth minute as the Pilots opened the 2012 season with a 1-0 shutout of fourth-ranked North Carolina. Parker deftly re-directed a free kick sent in by Amanda Frisbie for the lone tally of the match. Parker also came through defensively by clearing a North Carolina shot off the goal line in the 10th minute. The opening night victory was Portland's first-ever win over the Tar Heels.

Also nominated: Jaiden Thornock, BYU; Sil Tuiofea, Gonzaga; Madison Heilmann, Loyola Marymount; Anisa Guajardo, Pepperdine; Katy Roby, Saint Mary's; Jaciara Mello, San Francisco; Olivia Klei, Santa Clara

2012 WEST COAST CONFERENCE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Aug. 20: Ellen Parker, Portland

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10315
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by keeper on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:34 pm

The element that blew me away was the speed of North Carolina which triggered a deja vu moment for me as last year I was awed by Florida State's speed too. Not sure if anyone else noticed that, but everything NC did seemed executed at a fast pace. While there were rough spots, I expect they will benefit from that down the road.

That said, good win by the Pilots. Look forward to them polishing things throughout the season.

keeper
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by Indigo Kid on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Noticed that the Pilots come in at #33 on the Top Drawer 64:
http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-soccer-tournament-ranking/women

Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Location : Vancouver, WA
Registration date : 2008-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by UPSoccerFanatic on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
Hot off the presses

SAN BRUNO, Calif. --The West Coast Conference has named its women's soccer Player of the Week for August 20, 2012.

WEST COAST CONFERENCE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ELLEN PARKER, JR., M, PORTLAND
Portland junior Ellen Parker is the WCC Player of the Week. She scored what would prove to be the game-winner in the fifth minute as the Pilots opened the 2012 season with a 1-0 shutout of fourth-ranked North Carolina. Parker deftly re-directed a free kick sent in by Amanda Frisbie for the lone tally of the match. Parker also came through defensively by clearing a North Carolina shot off the goal line in the 10th minute. The opening night victory was Portland's first-ever win over the Tar Heels.

Also nominated: Jaiden Thornock, BYU; Sil Tuiofea, Gonzaga; Madison Heilmann, Loyola Marymount; Anisa Guajardo, Pepperdine; Katy Roby, Saint Mary's; Jaciara Mello, San Francisco; Olivia Klei, Santa Clara

2012 WEST COAST CONFERENCE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Aug. 20: Ellen Parker, Portland

I've been thinking all day, Ellen has got to be the WCC Player of the Week. Then I came over to PN and saw this.

I really would like to see her goal in super slow motion. If she did what I think she did, she could have the golaso of the year.

UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1701
Age : 71
Location : Portland, Oregon
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:07 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:
Hot off the presses

SAN BRUNO, Calif. --The West Coast Conference has named its women's soccer Player of the Week for August 20, 2012.

WEST COAST CONFERENCE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ELLEN PARKER, JR., M, PORTLAND
Portland junior Ellen Parker is the WCC Player of the Week. She scored what would prove to be the game-winner in the fifth minute as the Pilots opened the 2012 season with a 1-0 shutout of fourth-ranked North Carolina. Parker deftly re-directed a free kick sent in by Amanda Frisbie for the lone tally of the match. Parker also came through defensively by clearing a North Carolina shot off the goal line in the 10th minute. The opening night victory was Portland's first-ever win over the Tar Heels.

Also nominated: Jaiden Thornock, BYU; Sil Tuiofea, Gonzaga; Madison Heilmann, Loyola Marymount; Anisa Guajardo, Pepperdine; Katy Roby, Saint Mary's; Jaciara Mello, San Francisco; Olivia Klei, Santa Clara

2012 WEST COAST CONFERENCE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Aug. 20: Ellen Parker, Portland

I've been thinking all day, Ellen has got to be the WCC Player of the Week. Then I came over to PN and saw this.

I really would like to see her goal in super slow motion. If she did what I think she did, she could have the golaso of the year.

Live and in person I swear she used her studs/backheel to volley it in. No doubt in my mind she redirected it. It wasn't a deflection.


PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Age : 35
Location : Section 18A, Row 5
Registration date : 2007-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by Geezaldinho on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:33 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:

Live and in person I swear she used her studs/backheel to volley it in. No doubt in my mind she redirected it. It wasn't a deflection.


There is a Slo-mo in the highlight video. My YouTube editor lets you pick out frame by frame. Pretty amazing.



Try stopping the video and typing the right arrow button on your keyboard for each frame you want to advance.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10315
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by Dan No Yell on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:22 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
UPSoccerFanatic wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:
Hot off the presses

SAN BRUNO, Calif. --The West Coast Conference has named its women's soccer Player of the Week for August 20, 2012.

WEST COAST CONFERENCE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ELLEN PARKER, JR., M, PORTLAND
Portland junior Ellen Parker is the WCC Player of the Week. She scored what would prove to be the game-winner in the fifth minute as the Pilots opened the 2012 season with a 1-0 shutout of fourth-ranked North Carolina. Parker deftly re-directed a free kick sent in by Amanda Frisbie for the lone tally of the match. Parker also came through defensively by clearing a North Carolina shot off the goal line in the 10th minute. The opening night victory was Portland's first-ever win over the Tar Heels.

Also nominated: Jaiden Thornock, BYU; Sil Tuiofea, Gonzaga; Madison Heilmann, Loyola Marymount; Anisa Guajardo, Pepperdine; Katy Roby, Saint Mary's; Jaciara Mello, San Francisco; Olivia Klei, Santa Clara

2012 WEST COAST CONFERENCE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Aug. 20: Ellen Parker, Portland

I've been thinking all day, Ellen has got to be the WCC Player of the Week. Then I came over to PN and saw this.

I really would like to see her goal in super slow motion. If she did what I think she did, she could have the golaso of the year.

Live and in person I swear she used her studs/backheel to volley it in. No doubt in my mind she redirected it. It wasn't a deflection.


That is what I saw.
Back of her foot with her back to the goal.

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Location : In the cheap seats
Registration date : 2011-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by UPSoccerFanatic on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:56 pm

Actually, I think it was the studs on the bottom of her shoe. On a ball coming in waist high. And I agree, she directed it. I was right, GOLASO of the year, for any level of soccer. WOW! rimshot

UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1701
Age : 71
Location : Portland, Oregon
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by wrv on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: Pilots vs. UNC
by UPSoccerFanatic Today at 3:56 pm

.Actually, I think it was the studs on the bottom of her shoe. On a ball coming in waist high. And I agree, she directed it. I was right, GOLASO of the year, for any level of soccer. WOW! .

As great as it is to so unexpectedly beat UNC, I think we have crossed the line into hyperbole--I prefer Rapinoe's rockets to the redirection here, though that is as important a goal as we have seen for a while and reflects a high degree of skill on the part of Parker.

wrv
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by purple passion on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:51 pm

A shot of some of the 4014 fans...notice the empty expensive seats.


purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 321
Age : 70
Location : Near Tiffeny's high school
Registration date : 2009-10-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by DoubleDipper on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:20 pm

purple passion wrote:A shot of some of the 4014 fans...notice the empty expensive seats.
So, it was an "announced" crowd of 4014, correct?

It would appear the picture was taken BEFORE the game began, and before the expensive seat holders had finished their chardonnay in the parking lot..... Razz

I was on the student side for short period of time toward the end of the first half, and looking over towards the press-box, saw very few empty seats.....nothing like in the picture.

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6250
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by eProf on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:11 am

DoubleDipper wrote:

It would appear the picture was taken BEFORE the game began, and before the expensive seat holders had finished their chardonnay in the parking lot..... Razz
A lot of them are also Pilot Club members, and tend to stay in there until just before the game starts (or even a bit after).

eProf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 279
Location : Portland
Registration date : 2008-08-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by Geezaldinho on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:26 am

Hey! I chugged that beverage down as fast as I could...

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10315
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Hey! I chugged that beverage down as fast as I could...
Hey, apparently you weren't the only one!


DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6250
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by UPSoccerFanatic on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:07 am

It turns out that Brigman, who left the game near the beginning, broke her left leg and is out for at least a month. She's the one who was using crutches and had ice on her left lower leg.

Elby, who was carted off, sprained her ankle and is day-to-day.

UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1701
Age : 71
Location : Portland, Oregon
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by Geezaldinho on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:17 am

they did this for over an hour before the game.




Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10315
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by UPSoccerFanatic on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:02 pm

UNC today (9/7) beat previously unbeaten Marquette (3-0-1, now 3-1-1) 4-0.

UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1701
Age : 71
Location : Portland, Oregon
Registration date : 2007-10-31

View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pilots vs. UNC

Post by Harry Redknapp on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:39 pm

The better their record, the better it is for our RPI, right?

Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Age : 61
Location : NE Portland
Registration date : 2007-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum