Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots take two from SMC

3 posters

Go down

Pilots take two from SMC Empty Pilots take two from SMC

Post by Rob's Jacket Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:42 pm

Ordinarily this would be something to celebrate . . . but I feel obligated to point out that the one win SMC got was their first conference win of the season.

On the plus side though, the Pilots are 19-23 overall, 6-9 in the WCC. That makes for easily their best season in five years.

I'm not too familiar with the program, though. Sperry hasn't had a winning season - ever. And he's been at the helm for nine years. What do people think: does a strong finish to the season help Sperry keep his job for another year, or does he have to win out?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Pilots take two from SMC Empty Re: Pilots take two from SMC

Post by SciFi Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:27 pm

Not familiar with it either. All I know is that something has to change. How long has it been since UP Baseball has had a winning season?

-SciFi
SciFi
SciFi
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 313

http://pilotfans.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Pilots take two from SMC Empty Baseball

Post by PilotNut Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:23 pm

UP had very good baseball teams in the early 90's in the old Pac-10 North, but I dont think we have had much luck in the more competitve WCC.

I agree that something needs to change with the baseball team... but I dont see (nor would I really be in favor of) spending much more for the program right now... I think our priorities should remain hoops and soccer.

Even with OSU's national championship, I dont think their program pays for itself over several years... (I could be wrong though). OSU baseball games dont draw as well as UP soccer... it looks like the last home game @ Corvallis only drew 1,216 fans.

That being said, we have a new indoor batting facility, and I believe a new pitching coach. Things appear to have improved somewhat this year, but I dont know much about the situation.

The new campus master plan does show a new baseball stadium on the lower campus near the river... but that is many many years off.

*If* we were to replace Sperry, who would we be able to get for about the same amount of $$?
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Pilots take two from SMC Empty Re: Pilots take two from SMC

Post by Rob's Jacket Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:55 pm

Agreed, soccer is the university's cash cow, and hoops have the potential to be, so that's where our focus should be at. But at the same time, I think we have to show at least a little bit of interest in fielding a competitive baseball team. Perhaps we're showing that by paying a bit more for a good pitching coach. Regardless, this year's team at 19-23 (6-9 WCC) is already improved over last year's 15-37 (3-18 WCC) squad.

I do think that baseball is a sport that can make money, though. Baseball has 27 home games this year. Even if we're only averaging 500 fans a game that's still 13,500 fans in a season.

Your last sentence points out the fundamental problem with the current situation. Sperry hasn't had a winning season in 10 years (i.e. ever), which under normal circumstances would be grounds for dismissal. But if he goes, then who is there?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870

Back to top Go down