Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Story About Pilots

3 posters

Go down

Great Story About Pilots Empty Great Story About Pilots

Post by Stonehouse Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:26 am

This is an awesome article from today's Columbian (the Vancouver, WA paper):

In a packed room, students in DeAnn VanNess’ second-grade class fire questions across the table like journalists. Their subjects, lanky young men in black warm-ups, can hardly keep up with the interrogation.

It’s just after 2 p.m. Tuesday, and the 7- and 8-year-old reporters were given the task of interviewing each player of University of Portland’s Pilots basketball team. From their notes, they will write an article:

“What is your favorite vacation spot?”

“What’s your favorite color?”

“Is college really that hard?”

Feverishly, they write each player’s answer in their notebooks. This assignment demonstrated to VanNess’ students at Columbia Valley Elementary School how note-taking and writing can be fun as well as educational.

And it helped that most of her students are die-hard Pilots fans.

“I have so many boys who love sports and this hooked them,” VanNess said. “This is the first time I’ve found they’ve been excited about something all year long.”

Tuesday’s writing lesson was just a small piece of months of Pilots-based curriculum in reading, writing and math. VanNess’ son is the team’s ball boy, so the teacher thought it would be fun to incorporate team members into her lessons.

It started when her class sent the Pilots paper dolls of Flat Stanley, the children’s book character. The class also attended games and met and got autographs from players. However, Tuesday’s visit was the first by the team to the school.

In the weeks before the visit, students learned how to measure feet and inches by charting the players’ heights, and mounting the results on the wall outside the classroom door. Player biographies on the team’s Web site served as fodder for expository writing pieces — and raised questions for further work. So they used this week’s visit for interviews.

It wasn’t long after the interviews started before students grabbed their Pilots’ posters and autograph tablets for players to sign. Grinning big and showing off their fan buttons, they posed while VanNess took pictures.

“I’m going to go to UP,” gushed student Rayemond Farr. “I’m going to be on the Pilots.”

Ethan Niedermeyer, a sophomore forward, said the children’s exuberance was among the reasons why the basketball players took a trip to the school.

“I’ve seen a lot of these kids at the games,” Niedermeyer said. “It’s a way for them to have someone to look up to. Because a lot of us had that growing up and it helped.”

http://www.columbian.com/news/localNews/2008/04/04242008_Young-reporters-interview-basketball-idols.cfm

I love it! Months of Pilots-based curriculum? Most of the kids are die-hard Pilots fans? Could there be better community out-reach than this?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Great Story About Pilots Empty Re: Great Story About Pilots

Post by PilotNut Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:36 am

What an awesome story!

Maybe we should get some of these kids hooked up with Pilot Nation, to get us the inside scoop on the goings-on with the team! Cool

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:41 am

There's an official release about it on the website:

http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/mbball/release.asp?release_id=4956

And photos too:

http://www.portlandpilots.com/photogalleries.asp#

(Click the very top link once you get to the gallary page.)

I love it... definitely a feel-good story and a reminder of the impact the team can have in the community.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:49 am

The pictures alone tell the story. It was great to see the enthusiasm from the students and players. This is the type of outreach that the team has needed to exhibit. Hopefully, now we can get some exposure like this in the Portland media as well.

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down