Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2024 Recruiting

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

2024 Recruiting  - Page 3 Empty Re: 2024 Recruiting

Post by wrv Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:07 pm

Not to be outdone Caitlin  Monahan had her own noteworthy game of 42 points, 11 rebounds and 9 steals. Polishing her game for her impending D1 play no doubt.

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/news/_sNidBBEJUG5QYMP5MpLVw/caitlin-monahan-game-report.htm

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:49 am

From Ella Zimmerman:

"I like the coaching staff and the campus and the program."

The 4.3 GPA student added, "and it's a decent school."

https://highschool.si.com/california/2024/02/08/university-of-portland-signee-ella-zimmerman-stands-tall-for-redondo-unions-southern-section-playoff-run
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11262
Registration date : 2011-11-03

wrv, Fox Mulder and RHS89 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:37 am

The regular NLI signing period begins tomorrow, April 16, but as 6-2 Brynn Eshoo from Inverness, Illinois, 6-4 Ella Zimmerman from Redondo Beach, California, and 5-10 Caitlin Monahan from Mercer Island, Washington signed during the early signing period in November, will there be any more signings from the Class of 2024?

Currently, and by my count only, the departure of Dickey, Cochrane, and Hamilton, leaves 10 scholarship players on the team, and the addition of Eshoo, Zimmerman, and Monahan brings that number to 13.

The NCAA allows 15 scholarship student-athletes in WBB, two more than for MBB, and only recently has there been discussion of using all 15 scholarships at UP instead of the self-imposed 13 scholarship player limit of the past.

So, will the Pilots sign at least one more to the team?  And if so, what position is most in need for next season's team?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:48 am

DoubleDipper wrote:And if so, what position is most in need for next season's team?

Like almost every basketball team, a strong low post player is a need. Whether it is a defensive stopper like Cochrane or a dominant scorer like Fowler, you can't go wrong with a strong low post player.

Or a Caitlin Clark clone.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2021-06-10

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:07 pm

up7587 wrote:Like almost every basketball team, a strong low post player is a need.  Whether it is a defensive stopper like Cochrane or a dominant scorer like Fowler, you can't go wrong with a strong low post player.  

Or a Caitlin Clark clone.  

2024 Recruiting  - Page 3 Scree171

I was told Tiffany was one of two young women who committed last fall whose names were not made public, but she was being offered "so many opportunities" there was some concern she may decide to go pro or play elsewhere.

A 5-10 guard, she is still raw, but sources tell me she is "very athletic and very coachable."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Rob's Jacket and wrv like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:12 pm

Tiffany in action:

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:30 pm

Couple of questions DD. Why keep silent about a commitment? The university is unlikely to benefit. Beware of Greeks bearing gifts and silent commits. Perhaps why there is now an announcement.

You indicate that there were two young ladies whose commitments were not public. Are we to learn the other tomorrow?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:46 pm

wrv wrote:Couple of questions DD. Why keep silent about a commitment? The university is unlikely to benefit. Beware of Greeks bearing gifts and silent commits. Perhaps why there is now an announcement.

You indicate that there were two young ladies whose commitments were not public. Are we to learn the other tomorrow?
When I am told something in confidence it remains that way until it is made public through another source.

I think it would have been public if they were playing basketball in the USA.

I did drop a tiny hint when posting about the possibility of two open scholarships earlier today... Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Rob's Jacket likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:14 pm

up7587 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:And if so, what position is most in need for next season's team?
Like almost every basketball team, a strong low post player is a need.  Whether it is a defensive stopper like Cochrane or a dominant scorer like Fowler, you can't go wrong with a strong low post player. 
Her name is Osade Igbinedion, and I am told she is also of Nigerian descent playing basketball in Spain, and at 6-5, she may eventually be the answer to the Pilots inside game.

I believe she has played on the Nigerian U-18 team, but I have no tape or social media info on her, however, I am comfortable posting her name because I have seen it one other place:

https://fiveonfiveball.com/index.php/2023/06/22/ncaa-womens-commitments-class-of-2024/

Like most young big players, whether they be men or women, I am told she has the potential to one day be very good, but it is going take a while for her to develop.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Rob's Jacket and wrv like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:22 pm

The competition for minutes on this team will be fierce.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:49 am

A couple of thoughts regarding the recruitment of Osade Igbinedion, 6'5" center.
It does not suggest a player of particularly high caliber that there is no press nor social media commenting on her game, but one must acknowledge the possibility that she is an undiscovered gem for whatever reason. This program has had its difficulties recruiting height though. Let's hope she is everything and more the current optimism implies.

The recruiting landscape is such that a D1 program
without NIL money may be motivated to take a long shot on an obscure big because bigs may be largely unavailable through more common means for those without funds.
One thing we know: this coaching staff has decided that considering their options, the risk of extending a 4 year commitment to Osade is worth it. Their in position to make such a judgment.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:25 pm

2024 Recruiting  - Page 3 Europo10

A pleasant smile. Welcome Osade.

https://youtu.be/DEm-UDPXuVM?si=ILu4kXTJNxzj7Sqs

There is limited video in which Osade looks capable. Blocked a shot.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Rob's Jacket likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:51 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Tiffany in action:

I watched the tape on Tiffany Barbosa. This young lady can play defense--Meek is no doubt pleased. She drives to the bucket, often using her left hand. She can shoot the three.

Good things come to those who wait?

Of course, we need to wait until she gets here, but from the tape and her impressive stats, she may earn significant and early playing time.

Would be interesting to learn what recruiting activity/offers she had.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:46 am

wrv wrote:The competition for minutes on this team will be fierce.
In her one year on The Bluff, Kennedy Dickey had a great impact on the success of the team.  Now, who can step into her shoes this coming season?

Coach Meek is hoping it is junior center/forward 6-2 Trista Hull, a portal transfer from Boise St

Hull, from Yakima, did not put-up great numbers for the Broncos in limited playing time, but as noted in the mid-season article below, the potential to do so is there.

https://www.bronconationnews.com/boise-state-backing-up-hull-who-went-nearly-two-years-between-starts/
2024 Recruiting  - Page 3 Scree173
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Rob's Jacket, wrv, bullwinkle and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Currently, and by my count only, the departure of Dickey, Cochrane, and Hamilton, leaves 10 scholarship players on the team, and the addition of Eshoo, Zimmerman, and Monahan brings that number to 13.
So, with the commitments of Igbinedion, Barbosa, and now Hull, doesn't that bring the scholarship count to 16?

Nope, just 15!

All along we've thought that Monahan, from Mercer Island, was on a scholarship, but it turns out she will be a preferred walk-on this coming season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:31 am

Some quotes from various articles about Trista Hull as a player and athlete. First, from Trista herself about her role at Boise State:

"I've been mostly a power forward for my high school and club teams, but their idea is what's called a trailing post. It's part of an up-tempo offense, which is what we have at La Salle and I love it, and there's more opportunity on the perimeter with shots and screens. I like the sound of that a lot."

https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/sports_watch/la-salle-all-state-basketball-player-trista-hull-signs-with-boise-state/article_e2cdfc00-d8b6-54b8-8889-2902692599f8.html

The Boise State coach echoes Hulls very words but also comments on the level of recruit she was:

"Trista is a long, skilled trail post, and the No. 2-ranked player in Washington," Presnell said.

https://broncosports.com/news/2020/11/12/womens-basketball-broncos-sign-hull-lovrovich

Then comments from the article linked by DD about Trista's rebounding, character and effort:

"“She’s definitely a high-character person,” said senior forward Abby Muse, who finished with eight points, nine rebounds, four blocks and two steals. “She wants to win. So she makes this program better through and through 100%.”

Hull proved that during this past offseason. She said she really worked on her perimeter game, especially.

It all got the attention of Boise State head coach Gordy Presnell. He stated before the season that Hull was the player who had shown the most improvement."

"It was just one of those things where she was steadily progressing,” Presnell said. “She’d been so good all spring and fall."

“She put an incredible amount of work in the weight room. And it makes a difference. Those people that are really committed to that, it really pays off for them. And she did. She’s really developing into a very nice player for us.”

Hull had the best shooting percentage of anyone on the floor. She was 5-for-6 (80%) from the field. The only shot she missed was on a jumper a little more than a minute into the game.

“You have to block her out. She’ll go get it,” Presnell said. “There’s certain kids that just get the ones that come to them. And she can go get hers. So she did a nice job tonight. I thought she was a difference-maker early in the game.”

https://www.bronconationnews.com/boise-state-backing-up-hull-who-went-nearly-two-years-between-starts/

Given the impact of Dickie and Hamilton on this program, they are hard to follow. Hull may have the stuff to do it well. Help on the boards
is welcome. Welcome Trista.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

DoubleDipper and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:06 pm

@PortlandWBB wrote:Excited for you to join the family Trista! 🙌

2024 Recruiting  - Page 3 GMHq5roboAAcGB1?format=jpg&name=small