Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots at PU, 2/4, 5:00pm WCC NEtwork

+5
Pilot14
Sound Voltex
NoPoNeighbor
Dean Murdoch
up7587
9 posters

Go down

Pilots at PU, 2/4,  5:00pm  WCC NEtwork Empty Pilots at PU, 2/4, 5:00pm WCC NEtwork

Post by up7587 Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:46 am

The Pilots are favored by 1.5 points, coming off a good road victory. PU has lost their last 11 games, and allowed 85.75 ppg the last 4 games included 91 in Chiles.

ESPN analytics says PU is 55.9% favorite to win, perhaps because of UP's dismal road record (2-7). PU is 6-6 at home.

Pilots need to be on their game today, can't afford for any of the key players to have a dud performance. If PU can overcome their coaching, they are talented athletes and a scary opponent.

I just realized Applewhite didn't play against USD. Anyone know why? He had 15 points and a very efficient game in the first match-up against the Waves.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1353
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Pilots at PU, 2/4,  5:00pm  WCC NEtwork Empty Re: Pilots at PU, 2/4, 5:00pm WCC NEtwork

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:40 am

I'm astounded that this Pepperdine team with a probable NBA first-round pick and several talented shooters is still winless in WCC play.

Not sure about Alden? He wasn't hurt when he subbed off against Gonzaga in the 2nd half shortly after his nice bucket off an offensive rebound. He looked like he was ready to go in against USD in the 1st half, but never even took off his Bill Russell shirt after halftime.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Pilots at PU, 2/4,  5:00pm  WCC NEtwork Empty Re: Pilots at PU, 2/4, 5:00pm WCC NEtwork

Post by up7587 Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:08 pm

up7587 wrote:ESPN analytics says PU is 55.9% favorite to win, perhaps because of UP's dismal road record (2-7).  PU is 6-6 at home.  

Expected attendance is 400.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:04 pm

Waves make a 13-0 run and go from trailing by 12 to leading by 1 at the half.

Also, Pilots getting killed on the boards.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:31 pm

However this game ends, I have to give credit to Romar and his staff for keeping that team together. Many teams would have quit.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:50 pm

This is the stupidest way the Pilots have ever lost a basketball game, and let me tell you that's saying something.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Rob's Jacket, NoPoNeighbor, Sound Voltex and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:53 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:This is the stupidest way the Pilots have ever lost a basketball game, and let me tell you that's saying something.

Just stand there and don't react to the guy wrapping you up, and it's over.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:58 pm

Among all the bonehead moves that made this loss possible, the last one is on the coaches: Vucinic guarding the inbound passer with Robertson (6’6”) guarding a 6’11” guy.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:14 pm

This was like Porter levels of bad. I can't believe I'm saying that.

Dumb fouls. Dumb turnovers. Dumb missing critical free throws and shots.

We got lucky-bailed out so many times and blew it all.

I'm too dumbfounded to record a post-game radio interview if there is any.

(I will also be on vacation for the rest of the month and won't be able to record any post-game radio for the rest of conference play.)
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilot14 Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:19 pm

Organized crime

Pilot14
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2021-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:29 pm

Pilot14 wrote:Organized crime

Well, there are angry posters on Twitter commenting on the result. I suspect they bet the moneyline.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:49 pm

up7587 wrote:
Pilot14 wrote:Organized crime

Well, there are angry posters on Twitter commenting on the result.  I suspect they bet the moneyline.

To be fair, I have yet to watch a single video that has .6 seconds left. I guess you can count me amongst on the wcc referee denial crowd! Hope I don't get banned for this opinion!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:12 pm

And of course it was Jevon Porter that hit that tip-in at the buzzer, which snaps a 37-game WCC losing streak for teams that have a Porter on the game sheet.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

wrv likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:14 pm

Refereeing seemed pretty suspect to me. The elbow swing came after time had expired and didn't even connect. No technical on crazy Pepperdine assistant who was way out on the court. Yeah Pilots didn't do themselves any favors but man.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by badcoverage Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:22 pm

FREE THROWS! Make them and we run out of the gym with a dub. We can control free throws, but not the refs.
badcoverage
badcoverage
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2022-11-01

Geezaldinho likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:52 pm

bobtcat2 wrote:Refereeing seemed pretty suspect to me.  The elbow swing came after time had expired and didn't even connect.  No technical on crazy Pepperdine assistant who was way out on the court.  Yeah Pilots didn't do themselves any favors but man.

However crazy you thought the Pepperdine coach was, he was lobbying the ref for a foul, which he got. Don’t think for a second shantay wouldn’t have been on the court sticking up for his players in that situation.
Coaches are permitted to enter the court to control fighting, which was potentially there. If he himself fights, that’s something else. Kudos to whoever the Wave player was who shepherded him back to the bench After he said his piece.

The referees determined after review that the Pepperdine foul occurred with .6 seconds on the clock and that’s what they reset the clock to.looking at the video, the clock was still running, but I don’t have slow motion. The rules mandate video review in the last two minutes of any period.

Sjolund doesn’t get off the hook because he swung after, even if time ran out. The foul  is listed as a dead ball foul and the refs hadn’t left the court.
All he had to do was give the ball to the wave player and shoot his shots.   miss the second free throw, contest the rebound and game over. He lost sight of the goal.

For that matter, he could just have allowed the layup at 1.3 seconds and not fouled  and all we had to do was inbound (you can run the baseline after a score) catch it and toss it down the court as high as you can.

It was Sjolunds fifth foul. The box score doesn’t show he was ejected for fighting. Good thing. He can play next game. But he cost his team the game. Don’t expect refs to bail him out. You get T’d up for throwing an elbow. Let’s hope he learned from that

And it would have been nice if we didn’t go cold shooting free throws. The team has to own that. All in all, we could have been smarter.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

badcoverage likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:17 am

So they can review whether a common foul occurred? That didn't used to be the case. Anyway, a terrible way to lose no matter how you slice it

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:37 am

Is the swinging action a flagrant in and of itself? If there was any contact, it was to a whisker. The Wave player pulled back and I didn't see contact.

Still no excuse. The player hanging on to him wasn't hurting him. He should have celebrated getting the rebound and being fouled.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:29 pm

bobtcat2 wrote:So they can review whether a common foul occurred?  That didn't used to be the case.  Anyway, a terrible way to lose no matter how you slice it

Some excerpts from the replay review rules. There are about four pages of them.

D Fouls
1After a call has been made, determine if a flagrant personal foul or a flagrant 2 contact technical foul or a contact dead ball technical foul occurred
When it is determined that a flagrant personal or flagrant 2 contact technical foul did not occur, but a contact dead ball technical foul or common foul did occur, those fouls shall be penalized accordingly
However, no other infractions may be penalized
When the review discloses, by indisputable evidence, that there was no contact, the foul call shall be reversed with no foul charged

a When there is a foul called for contact, the officials, with a plausible reason, may review the severity of that foul during the dead-ball period following the call When the ball becomes live, there shall be no review of the made call
b When there is a foul called for swinging of the elbows involving the cylinder rule or a hook and hold play, the officials may review the play and adjudicate all penalties by removing fouls, assessing fouls against any player or concluding that no foul(s) occurred

2 When officials err and fail to observe the fouls according to Rule 11-2.1d1 (this shall not include a common foul) or a fight, they are permitted to correct and penalize these infraction(s), with the use of a monitor review, when the act occurs:
a When the game clock was stopped, it must be corrected:

Section 3. Instant Replay—Mandatory Use
Art. 1. Officials shall use such available equipment in the following situations:

When there is a reading of zeroes (or should have been zeroes on the
clock) on the game clock at the end of any period, after making a call on the playing court, in the following situations:
1 Determine whether a try for field goal entering the basket was released before the reading of zeroes on the game clock
When it is determined that the try for goal was successful, the official is permitted to put the exact time back on the game clock as to when the ball passed through the net
2 Determine whether a shot-clock violation occurred before the reading of zeroes on the game clock
3 Determine whether a foul occurred before the reading of zeroes on the game clock
When it is determined that the foul occurred before the reading of zeroes on the game clock, the official is permitted to put the exact time back on the game clock as to when the foul was committed
To determine whether a fight occurred and the individuals who

participated or left the bench area

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:31 pm

This popped up on my YouTube recommendations, titled "the most bizarre college basketball ending of the year".  I couldn't watch it.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:31 pm

up7587 wrote:Is the swinging action a flagrant in and of itself?  If there was any contact, it was to a whisker.  The Wave player pulled back and I didn't see contact.

Still no excuse.  The player hanging on to him wasn't hurting him.  He should have celebrated getting the rebound and being fouled.

The rule stipulates that a player who has possession of the ball can not engage in "excessive and/or vigorous swinging of the elbows" when he is in close proximity to opposing players - even if his elbows don't actually hit anyone.

In this case it was deemed a dead ball foul in the box score. I don’t think that negates the elbow swinging rule.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:44 am

up7587 wrote:This popped up on my YouTube recommendations, titled "the most bizarre college basketball ending of the year".  I couldn't watch it.

The video now has 222K views. And the game ending was apparently talked about on SportsCenter. Any publicity is good publicity?

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down