Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USF @ Pilots Tonight, 8:00pm

+7
Geezaldinho
Sound Voltex
bobtcat2
Dean Murdoch
DoubleDipper
Fox Mulder
up7587
11 posters

Go down

USF @ Pilots Tonight, 8:00pm Empty USF @ Pilots Tonight, 8:00pm

Post by up7587 Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:46 am

Late start, good thing I looked at twitter and noticed the time. Broadcast on the CW network.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1353
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

USF @ Pilots Tonight, 8:00pm Empty Re: USF @ Pilots Tonight, 8:00pm

Post by Fox Mulder Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:58 am

Tonights game is also on ESPNU if you have that channel.
Fox Mulder
Fox Mulder
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2021-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:00 pm

Not sure how many folks will show up for the late start on a school/work night...just have to hope the team does.

Based upon recent performances, it seems strange that USF is favored by only 1 to 3 points, depending upon the source, but if there is to be a turnaround, tonight will be a good night to start.

Show up at the Pilot Club by about 7:20 and Legs or one of his assistants will give you the lowdown...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:05 pm

Preview for tonight’s game… which uses maybe one of the best pics I’ve ever seen associated with the Pilots. What a great shot.

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2023/1/11/mens-basketball-pilots-to-face-san-francisco-no-8-gonzaga-in-nationally-televised-games.aspx
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:17 pm

[quote="DoubleDipper"]Not sure how many folks will show up for the late start on a school/work night...just have to hope the team does.

Based upon recent performances, it seems strange that USF is favored by only 1 to 3 points, depending upon the source, but if there is to be a turnaround, tonight will be a good night to start.

Show up at the Pilot Club by about 7:20 and Legs or one of his assistants will give you the lowdown...[/quote
Seriously? Don't even know where it is, how do you get there and is anything beyond being a season ticket holder required to get in? Does he do that every game?

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:56 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Preview for tonight’s game… which uses maybe one of the best pics I’ve ever seen associated with the Pilots. What a great shot.

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2023/1/11/mens-basketball-pilots-to-face-san-francisco-no-8-gonzaga-in-nationally-televised-games.aspx
That was the Michigan St. game at the Chiles Center during the PKI...I recognize a few of the fans.  Wink
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:58 pm

bobtcat2 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Not sure how many folks will show up for the late start on a school/work night...just have to hope the team does.

Show up at the Pilot Club by about 7:20 and Legs or one of his assistants will give you the lowdown...
Seriously?  Don't even know where it is, how do you get there and is anything beyond being a season ticket holder required to get in?  Does he do that every game?

Yes, one of the coaches shows up in the Pilot Club prior to each game to talk about the team and the opponent. Sometimes they take questions. The Pilot Club is located behind the stands on the Merlo Field side of Chiles.  Open one hour before tip-off.  A pre-game meal is served, and complimentary beer, wine and soft drinks are available.  At halftime the Hall of Fame Room is open to members for drinks and snacks.  Membership requires a $500 donation to support the athletics program.  Athletics/Pilot Club

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

bobtcat2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:11 pm

up7587 wrote: Membership requires a $500 donation to support the athletics program.  Athletics/Pilot Club
However, a member can bring a guest, from time-to-time. Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:11 pm

Fox Mulder wrote:Tonights game is also on ESPNU if you have that channel.

Did they pull the game off ESPNU?? I have it on that channel through completely legitimate means, but I see Little Rock and Southern Indiana with 8 minutes still left.

edit: and I see the UALR/USI game is actually a final? I might just be having a connection issue.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:25 pm

Huge W.

A win by 20 or so would have been nice and easier on me, but what fun would that have been? Nice pushback after USF's blistering start to the second half.

I guess we now know that this team can't operate without Moses Wood. Great to see him back. Go Pilots.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Rob's Jacket, Fox Mulder and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:50 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:A win by 20 or so would have been nice and easier on me

100%

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:52 pm

Post-game radio with Legans: https://vocaroo.com/14mwymPVpYqW
Post-game radio with Kristian: https://vocaroo.com/11evSiiC89Ls
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:57 pm

How did Shabazz go 4 of 10 on 3P shots? Seemed like he made every one to me.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pilot14 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:13 pm

WCC ordered by projected wins, via Kenpom. Still gonna be a hill to climb, but a great start tonight.

Code:
GONZ  4-0  13.64
SMC   4-0  13.25
BYU   3-2   8.99
SCU   2-2   8.78
LMU   2-3   7.36
PAC   3-1   6.33
USF   1-4   6.27
PORT  1-3   5.57
USD   2-3   5.34
PEPP  0-4   4.47
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:25 am

up7587 wrote:[ A pre-game meal is served, and complimentary beer, wine and soft drinks are available.  At halftime the Hall of Fame Room is open to members for drinks and snacks.  Membership requires a $500 donation to support the athletics program.  Athletics/Pilot Club

To be clear, the closest you will get to complementary alcoholic beverages behind the stands is if  somebody says “nice beer” when You pay for your  drinks.

The halftime treats in the HOF room is “ free “ drinks and snacks for patrons who donated at a higher level. If you gave a the $500 level you can return to behind the stands and pay for more alcohol drinks. Snacks and soft drinks are free.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

USF @ Pilots Tonight, 8:00pm Empty Mike Meadows

Post by Oldguyfan Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:24 am

Anybody know why Mike Meadows did not play. I thought he had recovered from his injury. I thought he played a previous game and scored a bunch?

Oldguyfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2021-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:27 am

Oldguyfan wrote:Anybody know why Mike Meadows did not play. I thought he had recovered from his injury. I thought he played a previous game and scored a bunch?

Broadcast said his groin issues are flaring up again.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by bdaddy Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:48 am

Great win last night! As said by others, having Moses back is huge. Without Austin this year, there really isn’t a player that can create their own shot at any time. Having the combination of Robertson, Woods, and Sjolund allows the team to run their sets and key in on whoever has the best matchup. It felt like the game was going to slip away in the second half after USF erased the 12 point lead and a couple strange calls (offensive foul against Sjolund and the phantom foul on the 3 point shooter against Gorosito). Great job to settle down and close out the win. Probably Gorosito’s best game! It seems like the team is morphing back into the small ball lineup we saw to close out last year with Chika playing as the only post. Hopefully Legs figures out a way to get some kind of production out of the big guys.

bdaddy
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:52 am

Geezaldinho wrote:To be clear, the closest you will get to complementary alcoholic beverages behind the stands is if  somebody says “nice beer” when You pay for your  drinks.

Sorry for the error.  Haven't been getting drinks, forgot the process.

During the pregame coach's talk, Coach Legans apologized for the recent performances, said they were going to play better, promised a win.  Thanked the fans for showing up.  He said the team was going to play small and take advantage of matchups against the USF guards by posting them up.  sounded like that was a USF specific strategy.

Last edited by up7587 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:49 am

up7587 wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:To be clear, the closest you will get to complementary alcoholic beverages behind the stands is if  somebody says “nice beer” when You pay for your  drinks.

Sorry for the error.  Haven't been getting drinks, forgot the process.
At Merlo in the Pilot Club enclosure, cash was handed over for wine and beer.

In the Pilot Club upstairs in the Chiles Center, the wine and beer are complimentary.  The only cash that comes from your wallet goes into the tip jar.

In the HOF Room/VIP area, there are mixed drinks and more food...again, just the tip jar.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:03 pm

We were treated to what I consider the best of MBB last night, lots of booing of the refs, lots of excitement, lots of lead changes, lots of great plays...and a Pilots win!!

Yes, Juanse had what was probably his best game to date...and in front of his parents and brother and sister visiting from Argentina. It is obvious that with Mike's and Jack's mentorship and patience, Juanse is maturing in the second half of his freshman season.

Yes, there were also some strange calls, but the head ref last night, who was/is the best in the WCC and now generally calls only Big 12 games, was right to call the technical foul on the UP bench.  There is no indication of the technical foul in the box score, but Legs was given a lengthy tutorial by the ref during the second half about this-and-that to include bench behavior...and then Coleman just couldn't control himself and it resulted in two points for USF.  

Yes, the Pilots played small-ball last night, and it worked.  Against GU tomorrow, we should see Vasilije get some playing time.  Not sure about Joey, and it appears Wyatt is injured.

My take is the Pilots won because they played with passion and aggression that we have not seen since the PKI. Twisted Evil
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Snus Junction Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:22 pm

The Pilots really sucked it up - playing from behind and coming back to win.
They were able to get their shooters set and they came through.
Gorosito, Chaka, and Applewte have the extra bit of fire to add to the team’s shooters.
The technical on the bench was for “over exuberance” What BS.
And Gordo’s foul while contesting a shot and on his back.
The game was special and sorry so many missed it.

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2020-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:00 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:My take is the Pilots won because they played with passion and aggression that we have not seen since the PKI. Twisted Evil
I don't disagree, but my additional take is that the Pilots won because they passed the ball (lots of assists) and made three-pointers. After we gave up the 12-point lead I was ready to accept another defeat. Glad that the Pilots weren't!

The smaller lineup with Chika playing a prominent role is what really got the Pilots on a roll last season. It will be interesting to see if Legans sticks with it again, especially against Timme and company on Saturday.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:52 pm

Those who attended the game will likely remember when USF's sharp-shooting transfer from Boston College went down in the second half with an apparent knee injury.

It didn't look good, and it wasn't...Julian Rishwain is done for the season with a torn ACL...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down