Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pac-12 Departures

+4
Geezaldinho
ExpatPilot
A_Fan
up7587
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pac-12 Departures Empty Pac-12 Departures

Post by up7587 Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:52 pm

Pac-12 Departures Screen-Shot-2022-06-30-at-7.27.01-PM

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2021-06-10

DoubleDipper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Pac-12 Departures Empty Re: Pac-12 Departures

Post by A_Fan Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:45 am

It's a shame the sports where the athletes are still actually students will now face new hurdles at those schools so football can belly up to a bigger trough.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:42 am

On the GU board a few say there is now no excuse for them not to join the Big East. But I don't think the Big East will give them $100,000,000 like USC and UCLA are getting.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:09 am

up7587 wrote:On the GU board a few say there is now no excuse for them not to join the Big East. But I don't think the Big East will give them $100,000,000 like USC and UCLA are getting.

I do think this is truly a "now or never" moment for Gonzaga. It's a true test of whether they will put their academic or athletic mission in front*. Thus far, there is no reason to believe that the WCC was preventing them from winning a championship, but the monetary gulf might become too great to ignore. Overall, I think it's a pretty simple equation for them: if joining the Big East nets them enough money that they are profitable even after flying the soccer/tennis/cross country/baseball/golf/rowing/etc. teams out there, then they are as good as gone.

To answer DD's earlier question to me: across the pond. Can be more specific later.

*I am sure we would hear something about how this is best for their "student-athletes" or how the additional revenue (e.g., TV, sponsorship, tickets, donations) generated from the Big East actually supports the academic side. I'm sure the faculty will be pleased. Rolling Eyes

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:12 pm

Coaches in the UCLA and USC Olympic sports are irate. They will receive no benefit from the move, their travel will be greatly increased ( I steerage, not on chartered Jets) and they will loose the recruiting advantage of playing in a sunny, warm climate year round. Playing soccer in Wisconsin or Minnesota in November doesn’t sound very California girl to me.

Come to California. We’ll include snow pants in your sideline kit.

One coach sent the AD a spreadsheet that showed travel time doubled or tripled in many sports.

All around it’s a big loss for the Olympic sports.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:32 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:All around it’s a big loss for the Olympic sports.

Yup, but they don't draw any eyeballs to Fox Sports or butts in the seats at the Rose Bowl and L.A. Coliseum.

The Zag fans wanting them to jump to the Big East will result in similar difficulties for their Olympic sports. Other Zag fans think they can get into a reconfigured Pac-12 instead.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:42 pm

up7587 wrote:

Yup, but they don't draw any eyeballs to Fox Sports or butts in the seats at the Rose Bowl and L.A. Coliseum.

The Zag fans wanting them to jump to the Big East will result in similar difficulties for their Olympic sports.  Other Zag fans think they can get into a reconfigured Pac-12 instead.

When is the last time Gonzaga offered football?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:26 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
up7587 wrote:

The Zag fans wanting them to jump to the Big East will result in similar difficulties for their Olympic sports.  Other Zag fans think they can get into a reconfigured Pac-12 instead.

When is the last time Gonzaga offered football?

Jon Wilner, who broke the story on the Pac-12 departures, has an article about Pac-12 expansion considerations.
Jon Wilner wrote:Gonzaga: This is the boldest stroke available to Kliavkoff, albeit one that does not involve football and thus carries limited media rights value. (Then again, there aren't any football options with significant media rights value.)

Snatching the Zags from the West Coast Conference — as a basketball-only member — would give the Pac-12 instant credibility and a reasonable competitive response to UCLA's departure.

If the conference opted to expand its basketball offerings, it could attempt to poach Saint Mary's, as well.

Then again, every school in the Pacific Northwest might object to adding the Zags. If there's a tiger prowling in your backyard, why let it inside the house?

https://www.ksl.com/article/50435583/pac-12-survival-guide-expansion-options-if-the-conference-holds-together

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:49 pm

Where would GU's other sports play if they tried to move basketball to the Pac-12? The WAC? The Mountain West? I can't imagine that the WCC would be willing to keep them around.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 870

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:04 pm

Well, many in the Pac-12 were not happy with the idea of a departing USC winning the conference and going to the playoff. But after falling behind 17-3, Utah outscored USC 44-7 in the final 3 quarters of the Pac-12 championship game. That almost certainly knocked USC out of the playoff, and put either Alabama or Ohio State back into the playoff picture.

Lots of negatives for the conference financially, and every bowl team gets moved down a notch. But I think that's a reasonable price to pay to knock off USC.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:22 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Coaches in the UCLA and USC Olympic sports are irate. They will receive no benefit from the move, their travel will be greatly increased ( I steerage, not on chartered Jets) and they will loose the recruiting advantage of playing in a sunny, warm climate year round. Playing soccer in Wisconsin or Minnesota in November doesn’t sound very California girl to me.
Pac-12 Departures Scree117

After yesterday's vote by the regents allowing UCLA to move to the Big-10, the UCLA Athletic Director, Martin Jarmond, made me laugh so hard my coffee went up my nose when he said:
We’ve always been guided by what is best for our 25 teams and more than 700 student-athletes.
On a positive note, the regents imposed conditions to mitigate the impact of the move on athletes, including UCLA investing an additional $12 million in nutritional support, mental health services, academic support while traveling and charter flights to reduce travel time.

I am taking a wait and see attitude... Neutral
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:50 pm

And here is a departure of a different sort.
OSU’s Soccer coach Terry Boss has resigned to take a job with an undisclosed Pro team.

Boss did a remarkable job in his five years in Corvallis.
He also did a stint with the USMNT as an assistant starting in 2019.

Maybe losing twice in one season to the Pilots was too much for him😏

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2022/12/oregon-state-mens-soccer-coach-terry-boss-resigns-after-incredible-five-year-run.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:48 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:And here is a departure of a different sort.
OSU’s Soccer coach Terry Boss has resigned to take a job with an undisclosed Pro team.
Good for Terry, he deserves a shot at the professional side of soccer, but one would imagine that UP's Nick is quite high on the OSU list of candidates to replace him...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:And here is a departure of a different sort.
Good for Terry, he deserves a shot at the professional side of soccer, but one would imagine that UP's Nick is quite high on the OSU list of candidates to replace him...

Boss’ 2021-2022 base salary was $180k plus bonuses, rising to $225k in six years.
His buyout is $50K. Coaching salaries have been frozen at OSU since the pandemic hit, which is true a lot of places.

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2020/09/oregon-state-coaches-waive-their-contract-bonuses-for-2020-21-school-year-heres-what-theyre-giving-up.html

Looking at UP form 990 listings, we are in the ballpark for what OSU pays in the non revenue sports.

Besides, I thought Nick’s long term goals were going back East. I’d worry more about a Western Michigan coaching change.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:15 pm

Been lots of chatter lately that Colorado and Arizona were ready jump to the Big-12. They'd also add GU for basketball only, and UConn.

John Canzano reports:
The Pac-12 members have finalized the conference's Grant of Rights, per sources. They've negotiated revenue sharing, sponsorship rights, etc. and all 10 members are ready to sign.

Still need to finalize a media deal, but looks like the Pac-12 will hold together. Probably add SDSU, perhaps SMU.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:46 pm

Canzano also speculated that UCLA will be back by 2030 when they tire of the brutal travel their teams - especially the Olympic sports flying coach - will have to make.
He pointed out Nebraska has trouble with it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:16 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Canzano also speculated that UCLA will be back by 2030 when they tire of the brutal travel their teams - especially the Olympic sports flying coach - will have to make.
He pointed out Nebraska has trouble with it.
The travel associated with the UCLA football schedule has been called "insane" by some, but with four of the Big-10 teams coming to Pasadena and two other games in the Rose Bowl, it looks pretty easy to me...especially when it is compared to what the Olympic sports athletes are going to face when they fly commercially.

Pac-12 Departures Scree152

Someone calculated their travel, including Honolulu, to be 26,762 miles.  In era of piston driven propeller planes that would have been long distance, not with today's charter jets.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:44 pm

Things should be competitive in the PAC4 next year.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:48 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Thinks should be competitive in the PAC4 next year.

Stanford to the WCC?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:50 pm

They would dominate the football season
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:35 pm

Oh wait is Stanford to the WCC actually a possibility? I was just kidding but I woke up today to more than a few people saying it might be their best option (with football going independent).

Admittedly it might just be a temporary home, but I think the WCC/BYU partnership worked out fine and everyone knew BYU wasn’t in it for the long term.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:13 pm

Stanford has a little more than double the undergrad student population of UP, but they have about 25 times as many postgraduate students. One other minor difference is that the Stanford endowment is approximately 120 times larger than UP's.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:11 pm

up7587 wrote:Stanford has a little more than double the undergrad student population of UP, but they have about 25 times as many postgraduate students.  One other minor difference is that the Stanford endowment is approximately 120 times larger than UP's.

More importantly, Stanford can give every player in an Olympic sport a full ride.

Like the ivies, Stanford covers most of tuition costs for most students. The listed tuition there is $56K, but a middle class family only has to pay about $10K in room, board, and tuition, according to their admissions website. That means that the 14 athletic scholarships allowed for soccer stretches to cover the shortfall in tuition and cost of attendance of 78 players if they choose to. And I’ll bet there is NIL money even for women’s soccer.

There is enough left over to cover the cost of “athletes” who have never actually played soccer. Oh wait… that’s Sailing Razz

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/us/yusi-molly-zhao-china-stanford.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:41 pm

Another issue for Stanford is they offer 36 sports. Where are they going to find opponents in the WCC for those?

They’ll end up like Denver in 6 different conferences.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:46 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Oh wait is Stanford to the WCC actually a possibility? I was just kidding but I woke up today to more than a few people saying it might be their best option (with football going independent).

Admittedly it might just be a temporary home, but I think the WCC/BYU partnership worked out fine and everyone knew BYU wasn’t in it for the long term.

More likely the ACC or Mountain West, which I have also seen. At least they have football.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next