Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 Non-Conference Games

+5
Pilot14
Geezaldinho
up7587
Dean Murdoch
DoubleDipper
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2022 Non-Conference Games Empty 2022 Non-Conference Games

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:18 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Talking with a University of New Orleans assistant after UP played them in the Chiles Center in mid-March, I was told UNO was planning to return to Oregon next fall to play UO and UP.

It could be another fun one...
December 10th in the Chiles Center, I am told.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2022 Non-Conference Games Empty Re: 2022 Non-Conference Games

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:07 pm

I think I saw the Pilots play at Oregon this year?

Also hearing rumblings of home-and-homes with a couple Summit League schools beginning next year, short on details beyond that.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon May 16, 2022 11:26 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:I think I saw the Pilots play at Oregon this year?

December 17 in Eugene according to @TheD1Docket.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed May 25, 2022 12:35 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Also hearing rumblings of home-and-homes with a couple Summit League schools beginning next year, short on details beyond that.

And here it is!

@RoccoMiller8 wrote:Some scheduling notes:

- Wyoming will host Grand Canyon as part of its 22-23 non-conference schedule
- Old Dominion hosts Gardner-Webb on Dec. 10th
- South Florida hosts Stetson on Nov. 14th
- FIU hosts Incarnate Word on Dec. 21
- Portland hosts North Dakota on Dec. 3rd

#CBB

Hoping there is indeed a return trip in 2023-24 as UND is the closest D1 school to us here, just a quick 7-hour drive!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed May 25, 2022 1:36 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote: . . . just a quick 7-hour drive!

That's a lot of road beers!

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1353
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 25, 2022 1:37 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
- Portland hosts North Dakota on Dec. 3rd
Better known for its very fine Aerospace Studies program than for it's basketball, North Dakota is probably the Pilots first game after PK-85.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

StudentPilot and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed May 25, 2022 2:59 pm

up7587 wrote:
Dean Murdoch wrote: . . . just a quick 7-hour drive!

That's a lot of road beers!

You're not wrong! I'm pretty sure there's a bar in Velva, ND that our ball team is still not welcome at after our trip to Fargo a few years back.

Wonder if I can drag canadagael along for this one?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 25, 2022 3:24 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:You're not wrong! I'm pretty sure there's a bar in Velva, ND that our ball team is still not welcome at after our trip to Fargo a few years back.
Long story, short.  In the early '70's, 10 fighter pilots wearing their Ray Bans and just back from the war in Vietnam, wander into a bar/restaurant to party in a private room in Las Vegas and leave a couple of hours later after many apologies and paying for the damages.

Two years later, eight of the original 10 wander into the same bar while not remembering they had been there before, and much to their surprise, the waitress (now called a server) left the room while screaming and breaking out in tears.  

The now older and wiser pilots decided to find another venue...
2022 Non-Conference Games Fear10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Dean Murdoch, StudentPilot and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed May 25, 2022 4:10 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
You're not wrong! I'm pretty sure there's a bar in Velva, ND that our ball team is still not welcome at after our trip to Fargo a few years back.

No problem.

The other bar is only 1/4 mile away.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Dean Murdoch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 26, 2022 3:33 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Hoping there is indeed a return trip in 2023-24 as UND is the closest D1 school to us here, just a quick 7-hour drive!
I believe UP is playing both UND and North Dakota St. at home this season, and one or both of those are home-and-home games for next season...I think.

Without grousing even more about the lack of leadership in the WCC, I believe all the coaches and ADs are awaiting a decision as to whether there will be a 16 or 18 game WCC schedule this coming season before they can complete their preseason schedules.

Last season, schools didn't want to play UP because the Pilots didn't help their NET, I am hearing that this year they are afraid of losing to the Pilots... Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 27, 2022 10:55 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:December 17 in Eugene according to @TheD1Docket.
So far, I have only heard or read about two road games, both in late December after final exams:

12/17 in Eugene
12/22 in Riverside against the Highlanders

I expect we will eventually learn the date of UP's game at PSU after it was hinted the Pilots and Vikings will play twice this coming season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 27, 2022 12:25 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Without grousing even more about the lack of leadership in the WCC, I believe all the coaches and ADs are awaiting a decision as to whether there will be a 16 or 18 game WCC schedule this coming season before they can complete their preseason schedules.
I probably shouldn't be so down on the WCC leadership that left a sour taste after allowing a few member schools to operate independently last season, and I have heard that moving back to an 18-game schedule could be a reality as conference schools will be voting soon.

It has been more and more difficult to fill the preseason schedule in recent years with the 16-game schedule because many of the Power 5 schools are adding, not subtracting, league games and it is getting more difficult for WCC schools to find quality preseason opponents.

Portland is fortunate to have the three games of PK85 and UO on the schedule this coming season, and I think two very good teams, North Dakota St. and Seattle U. are coming to the Chiles Chiles in addition to PSU.  The Pilots are going on the road to face a tough UC Riverside team, but beyond that I am not UP sure can find any tougher opponents if the WCC continues the 16-game schedule.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri May 27, 2022 1:23 pm

Well, there's always Bushnell, Corban and Multnomah. Mad

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1353
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat May 28, 2022 7:23 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I believe UP is playing both UND and North Dakota St. at home this season, and one or both of those are home-and-home games for next season...I think.

Even better. NDSU is the second closest D1 school. I’m going to buy the scheduler a beer!

DoubleDipper wrote: Without grousing even more about the lack of leadership in the WCC, I believe all the coaches and ADs are awaiting a decision as to whether there will be a 16 or 18 game WCC schedule this coming season before they can complete their preseason schedules.

Bad news for Gonzaga, they would only get to schedule three of Lindenwood, Queens, Southern Indiana, Stonehill, and Texas A&M Commerce instead of all five.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:47 am

Looks like there will be another Veterans Day game at the Chiles Center this season with the PSU Vikings coming to The Bluff.

There are just a few young veterans attending classes at UP these days, but I would like to see them and their PSU veteran brothers and sisters honored for their service in some manner either before or during the game on November 11.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Dean Murdoch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:31 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Looks like there will be another Veterans Day game at the Chiles Center this season with the PSU Vikings coming to The Bluff.

Given that the season starts November 7, that'll probably be the Pilots' second game of the year? Any word on the opener?

Nov 11 - Portland State (home)
Nov 24 - PK85
Nov 25 - PK85
Nov 27 - PK85
Dec 3 - North Dakota (home)
Dec 10 - New Orleans (home)
Dec 17 - Oregon (away)
Dec 22 - UC Riverside (away)

Awaiting dates for Seattle (home), NDSU (home), and Portland State (away).

So that's 11 non-conference opponents known out of a total of either 13 or 15. Has the WCC decided on 16 or 18 game schedule yet?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:46 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Given that the season starts November 7, that'll probably be the Pilots' second game of the year? Any word on the opener?
Actually, I believe the first day a non-exhibition/secret scrimmage game can be played is Tuesday, November 8.

However, because of the informal "Reveno Rule," that allows players time off to vote on election day, the first counter will probably be played on November 9...just two days before the PSU game, so it will probably be a home game. Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:14 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Actually, I believe the first day a non-exhibition/secret scrimmage game can be played is Tuesday, November 8.

I saw the start date listed as November 8 too - and don't most normal seasons start on a Tuesday? But I've seen several games scheduled for Monday, November 7.

@RoccoMiller8 wrote:Santa Clara will host Eastern Washington on November 7th as part of its 2022-23 non-conference schedule.

The game will serve as the season opener for both programs.

#WCC
#BigSkyMBB

@JonRothstein wrote:Sources: Iowa will open the 22-23 college basketball season on November 7th against Bethune Cookman in Iowa City.

@JonRothstein wrote:Source: Auburn will open the 22-23 season on November 7th at home against George Mason.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:47 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Actually, I believe the first day a non-exhibition/secret scrimmage game can be played is Tuesday, November 8.

I saw the start date listed as November 8 too - and don't most normal seasons start on a Tuesday? But I've seen several games scheduled for Monday, November 7.

study   scratch   Suspect   Evil or Very Mad

The lack of compliance with NCAA rules and regulations has been well documented over the years.  On the other hand, the NCAA may now consider them to be just guidelines if it means more $$$$$ is generated.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:13 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:I saw the start date listed as November 8 too - and don't most normal seasons start on a Tuesday? But I've seen several games scheduled for Monday, November 7.
It would appear UP will open its preseason schedule on Wednesday, November 9 in the Chiles Center against a yet to be determined opponent.  

I was told there is a "provisional" D1 opponent from Florida, but the team may end up playing a non-D1 opponent instead.

UP has attempted to schedule OSU, UW, and WSU among its preseason opponents, but those schools are apparently not interested in a PNW Shootout.

In addition to opening on November 9, UP will apparently play a "secret scrimmage" at some point and will also play a non-D1 exhibition game on Monday, November 7.  

Remember, this is all unofficial.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:33 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:I saw the start date listed as November 8 too - and don't most normal seasons start on a Tuesday? But I've seen several games scheduled for Monday, November 7.
Mystery solved:  Because Tuesday, November 8th is Election/Reveno Day, the NCAA has decreed teams can move their opening games up to Monday, November 7 for this coming season only.

Teams are not breaking the rules to play on Monday, the NCAA simply changed the rules to accommodate them... Shocked
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilot14 Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:18 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
UP has attempted to schedule OSU, UW, and WSU among its preseason opponents, but those schools are apparently not interested in a PNW Shootout.

Bummer. As someone with family ties to WSU/a big Cougs football fan (as well as other sports as long as they're not playing the Pilots), I had been hoping we might see them on the schedule and that maybe Kyle Smith's WCC ties (as well as him and Legs being familiar with each other from EWU/WSU matchups) could help facilitate that happening. Could have been a pretty fun matchup.  

A bit crazy to think that in a years time the program has gone from un-schedulable because they could provide no value to an opposing teams resume to now being un-schedulable because they just might beat these teams and burst their bubble. (WSU may have a bubble case that could be burst. OSU and UW on the other hand, they are probably just trying to protect their pride)

Pilot14
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2021-05-06

Snus Junction likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:04 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I was told there is a "provisional" D1 opponent from Florida, but the team may end up playing a non-D1 opponent instead.

I see Gonzaga is playing their opener Nov 7 against North Florida, that would likely be UP’s provisional opponent I suppose?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:58 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Has the WCC decided on 16 or 18 game schedule yet?

And right on cue...

@RoccoMiller8 wrote:According to multiple sources, WCC Presidents and leadership will hold a vote in the coming days on if the conference will move from 16 to 18-games.

The league has most recently been playing a 16-game league schedule, leaving room for as many as 15 non-conference contests.

#WCC

I love this comment from the GU board. "More WCC games is a kick in the groin to season ticket holders." I wonder if they ever ask themselves how Gonzaga could schedule Texas, UCLA, Duke, Alabama, AND Texas Tech but somehow manage to wind up with the 248th ranked NCSOS in the country. Clowns.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:43 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:I love this comment from the GU board. "More WCC games is a kick in the groin to season ticket holders." I wonder if they ever ask themselves how Gonzaga could schedule Texas, UCLA, Duke, Alabama, AND Texas Tech but somehow manage to wind up with the 248th ranked NCSOS in the country. Clowns.
Not sure how season ticket holders benefitted from the UCLA and Duke games being played in Las Vegas, the Alabama game in Seattle, and the Texas Tech game in Phoenix.

However, the local fans did get to see North Alabama, Dixie State, Bellarmine, and Merrimack on campus in Spokane.

Clowns... jocolor
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next