Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's Happening with the U-20's?

+9
KFTC
A_Fan
PurplePrideTrumpet
FANatic
PilotNut
Harry Redknapp
UPWomenSoccerRookie
UPSoccerFanatic
Geezaldinho
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Happening with the U-20's?

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:00 pm

I was being a smartaleck about the workout clothing. Anson might want to win a trophy soon, before someone starts FireAnsonDorrance.com (unless it already exists).

And yes, this is a lot of fun! Watching the same group of posters get into flame wars on the PSU OregonLive forum over the same issues gets old after a while!
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Happening with the U-20's?

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:40 pm

I figured you were being as smart-alecky as the rest of us, but thanks for testing - sometimes it's had to tell in writing.

I checked----FIREANSONDORRANCE.COM is already taken.

I'm sure he doesn't have enough money to buy up all the permutations, though... tongue
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:03 pm

Just to change the subject a bit, it was nice to see Ellie, Michelle, Sophie and Keelin at the Women's basketball game on Saturday.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:14 pm

The US U-20s beat Norway today, in Chile, 2-1. Keelin scored the first goal, around the 19 minute mark. She and Elli played the entire game. Michelle came in about the 37th minute and played the rest of the game.

I think I saw this somewhere in PilotNation, but in any event, on Tuesday, the US U-20s beat England 1-0. Again, Keelin and Elli played the entire game. Michelle started that one and came out in the 85th minute or so.

Adding to the list the geez started on this thread:

11. Coach AD holds as many of his players off the U-20 team as he can convince that UNC soccer is more important than their futures as world class players. He also gets buddy Coach DeCicco to make as many U of P players as possible major fixtures on the U-20 team in hopes that, in the unfortunate event UNC runs into the U of P in next year's NCAA tournament, UNC might have a shot at winning with three of U of P's best players gone for the U-20 World Cup. Coach AD knows that he must do this, because it is his last chance to try to turn back the change in the earth's balance that started with the epic game a decade ago when 13 Pilots held off 20 Tarheels for 129 minutes in the NCAA semis, resulting in UNC's exhaustion and loss in the title game -- a game characterized by those in the know as, "20 high school All Americans against one well-coached soccer team."
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:07 pm

u 23's beat Norway 2-0 also today. No report or box yet. hopefully soon.

11. (footnote)
Dorrance learns to his astonishment that you can still only put 11 players on the pitch at any one time despite a decade of whining. Plan fails - he still loses.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Empty U20 game report

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:52 pm

Here's the account of the U20 game

El público que llegó hasta el estadio La Portada presenció uno de los duelos más atractivos en la historia del fútbol femenino. En cualquier categoría, la rivalidad entre estadounidenses y noruegas es sinónimo de clásico.
Estados Unidos dominó ampliamente el encuentro. Ya venía de vencer a Inglaterra el lunes (1-0) y hoy confirmó su condición de potencia mundial en el balompié de damas.

Keelin Winters (19') abrió el marcador en beneficio de las dirigidas por el legendario DT Tony DiCicco. Antes del final del primer tiempo la artillera Teresa Noyola (42') dejaba el marcador 2-0 y apuntaba su segundo gol del torneo.

"Tuvimos una evolución respecto del partido anterior, más solidez en la defensa y jugamos con mayor velocidad. A medida que juguemos más, lo hiremos haciendo mucho mejor", dijo la goleadora estadounidense al final del partido.

Para la estadística quedará el tanto de la noruega Gunhild Herregarden (77') y el 2-1. "Fue mi primer gol y estoy deliz de haber marcado. lamentablemente hoy jugamos ante un equipo muy fuerte, como Estados Unidos", expresó la zaguera nórdica.

"Los primeros 30 minutos fueron realmente positivos, pero aún nos falta. Vimos un equipo muy bueno, pero luego estuvimos en el promedio. ¿Chile? No será un equipo fácil. Son jugadoras inteligentes, individualmente muy buena y, además, son locales", concluyó al final del partido el técnico estadounidense, alistándose para el duelo final ante las "Rojitas".

OK, OK I'll give it a shot in English. very loosely:
The public that came to La Portada stadium saw one of the most attractive duels in the history of women's soccer. The rivalry between the US and Norway is synonymous with a classic one.
The US convincingly dominated the match. They came in having beaten the English Monday 1-0, and today confirmed their position as a world power in women's football.
Keelin Winters opened the scoring at 19 minutes to the benefit of those directed by the legendary Tony Diccico. before the end of the half, the big gun Tereza Noyola put the score at 2-0 and got her second goal of the tournament.

"We had a build-up up front, were solid in defense and played quicker. As we play more, we keep getting better" said the US keeper at the end of the game.

for the books, Gunhild Herregarden (77th) scored the only goal for Norway to make it 2-1. "It was my first goal and I'm happy about it, but today we played a very strong team, the US." said the Norwegian player.

"The first 30 minutes were really positive," said The US coach " but still we are lacking . We saw a very good team. Later in the game we were average.

¿Chile? They won't be an easy team. They are smart players, Individually very good, and also they are the home team" he said, setting the stage for final duel against the "Rojitas" (red ones)
(I had to show I knew where the "¿" is on the keyboard.)

What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Nor_us10
LA NORUEGA JUNE TARNES (IZQ.) Y NIKKI WASHINGTON (DER.)
DISPUTAN LA PELOTA. (FOTOS: MARCO MUGA / COL CHILE 2008)

(there's somebody a bit more familiar in back of them)

and here's another familiar face
(and Tereza Noyola)
What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Nor_us11

You can read it all In Spanish and the account of the Chile game Here.

Last edited by on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:18 am; edited 10 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Empty U-23 game

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:13 am

Heres the Norwegian version of the U23 game HERE.
No way I'm touching this one - I might start a world war with the translation.

The best I can make out is that We beat Norway on a goal by Yael Averbush and an own goal on Norway due to a miscue on a pass back to the keeper.

USA's Nikki Krzysik got red ticketed (do I see a theme here?) towards the end of the game.

Apparently they were quicker, we had some nice build-ups, we clutched and grabbed, and our holding mid was slow but steady in the defense.
They need to get tougher to compete.

The rest is in a secret language.

At least there's a picture, but it appears to be of the Norway-Germany game.

What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 {30A33EFC-4053-4793-823E-AC3A0790E774}
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:08 am

Now you can read what really happened in the u23 game. Smile

We still won, but a different player was ejected in English. and we dominated the run of play.

ussoccer version
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:29 am

The ejected player was defender Marissa Abegg, Jesuit High School and Stanford grad. She was in the same class at Jesuit as Emily Michaelson.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:47 am

Abegg is actually an '05 Lakeridge grad, and still has one more season to go at Stanford, where she has started in every single match since her freshman year and captained the team from her sophomore year on. She's a year behind Michaelson.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Empty The u20 game in English

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:03 am

Tony Diccico had nice words about Keelin Winters after the game. In the ussoccer.com article, he called her the difference maker.

Sounds like Keelin's getting more comfortable at the holding mid spot.

Anybody know if they are playing a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Empty Four Nations Final in Chile

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:43 am

In the first game today, it was Norway 2 England 2. England and Norway came out of the tournament winless.
Goals by Ryland(N, 47), Bakke(N, 52), White(E, 78 ), White(E, 89).

The final between The US and Chile was settled decisively United States 5, Chile 1 .
goals by:O'Hara(US, 28 ), Marshall(US, 46), O'Hara(US, 57), Enyeart(US, 59), Winters(US, 66), Araya(CH, 92).
More than 10,000 people on the stadium.

What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Pictur10
Here's Michelle

Final standings:
1. United States 9 (champions)
2. Chile 4
3. Norway 2
4. England 1
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Empty U23 vs Germay Draw

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:23 pm

Germany drew 1-1 with the USA in the u23 match in La Manga, to secure first place. Germany's Susanne Hartel gave the Germans a 71st minute lead. Hartel received two yellow-cards before Elizabeth Eng evened things up with two minutes to go.

No box out yet to see if Kelsey played.

In the other U23 game, Norway pummeled England 5-0.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Biggin's team was hurting without the defensive presence of Abegg; I spoke with someone over there who said the foul in question was a yellow at best, but because it happened in front of the Norwegian bench, they freaked out and the ref over-reacted a bit. Too bad, as I'm sure she could've made a small difference against ze germans.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Empty More pics of the u-20's

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:32 pm

What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Gol_cu11
Michelle scoring the 4th goal

What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Chilee10
Keelin celebrating her goal

Last edited by on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:37 pm

Another tidbit about the U-20s: According to the box scores for the three US games, three players played every minute of every game: Nikki Marshall (to be a junior at Colorado), Elli Reed, and Keelin Winters. Keelin was the captain for game 3 against Chile!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:45 pm

Oh yeah! you can see her captain's armband in the picture above.

Here's another picture on the Chile site of The three Pilots getting some help hoisting the trophy
What's Happening with the U-20's? - Page 2 Campeo10

I originally just linked this picture to the Chile site also. Now Serving.com is hosting it
Nikki Washington from UNC is in front of Kelin. Ellie and Michelle are center and right of the trophy.

Last edited by on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:30 am; edited 3 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:07 pm

geezer,
i would hate to be the one to ever question you. by my book you are the most influensial member of this forumn . i am pretty sure the picture you posted is of keelin an not michelle. either way, it is a great picture of our girls an that is what most important. i love seeing our girls succeed on every level!!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:10 pm

ok, i'm an idiot!!
i saw the caption above keelin's picture saying michelle an didnt see the caption below the piture identifying the picture as keelin.
i slink off into my corner now, forgived me.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:27 pm

I had the Michelle picture linked to the Chile National Team site, and they took it off. I put the picture in serving.com and linked to it there.
Both pictures are now in the post.

I also added the picture a couple posts down, instead of depending on a link to Chile.

You weren't crazy after all Smile
Well, at least not this time Very Happy
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:48 am

Just following up... they posted an article on US Soccer's official website and Enyeart not only had a goal but two assists as well!:

The half ended with the USA holding just a 1-0 lead, but it didn't take long for the USA to blow the game open, scoring in the first minute of the second half and added three more goals in a 21-minute span. The second goal was scored by Marshall, who shot from 12 yards out after receiving a pass from Michelle Enyeart and making space for herself with a few quick touches.

Enyeart created the third goal as well, dribbling to the end line on the right side in the 57th minute and cutting a pass on the ground that O'Hara finished from the six-yard line. Enyeart then created one for herself just two minutes later, dribbling straight through the middle of the defense before slotting the ball into the right corner.

The USA added the final goal on a header from Keelin Winters off a corner kick by Casey Nogueira. Chile got a consolation goal in stoppage time of the second half as Karen Araya covered in a nice free kick to avoid the shutout.

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_5341204.html

Pretty cool!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:10 am

Looks like Elli, Keelin, and Michelle all played the full 90 minutes and that Keelin was selected as captain. Pretty impressive work!
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:33 pm

This morning's terrestrial event is symbolic of Keelin's "meteoric" rise in the soccer world. I wholeheartedly agree that she's become "a difference maker" . Isn't this her first experience and cap with a U-National Team...and International play? She scored 2 goals in the Four Nations Tournament. I went back to check her 2007 Pilot stats. How many did she put in the net for UP...0!! HUH? affraid

Wow! What a find for the Pilots! What a gem she's turning out to be, eh? Love it! Garrett has to let this newly discovered offensive threat off the leash.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm

I don' think it was a mystery she could score.. she's a converted striker.

Here's from her recruiting bio

She helped Real Colorado to the state title in 2007 and previously helped the Mustang Blast win the 2004 USYS National Championship after claiming state and regional titles. A member of the Region IV ODP team in 2005, Winters was named her high school team’s most valuable offensive player all four years – two at Carondelet HS in Concord, Calif. and two at Regis Jesuit in Englewood, Colo. She was an all-state selection in 2006.
(emphasis mine)

I was frankly a little surprised when she showed up playing holding mid.. although the bio also said she could play anywhere.

If Sophie had been there at the start of the season, I would have expected Sophie at holding mid and Keelin up top.

shows what I know.

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:05 am

Yes. That figures. I actually had flirted with using multi-dimensional as an adjective after learning about her offensive capabilities at the Four Nations Tournament. In her collegiate debut with the Pilots...Keelin had made holding-mid seem like its always been her "natural position".

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

What's not to smile about for her, eh? She goes from ODP to WCC Freshman of the Year to making claims for MVP of the just
completed U-20 international tournament. Quite the accomplishment in just under a year!

Its fantastic and warrants a FANatic...WoooHooo!!!!

Talk about blossoming! Keelin may have been on many team's radar coming out of club and HS. But...her maturing game has been EXPLOSIVE! cherry Who had even predicted this much success for her! Its great!

GO PILOTS!!!

Last edited by GUPhantom on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next