Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats up with Sperry?

4 posters

Go down

Whats up with Sperry? Empty Whats up with Sperry?

Post by PDXKat Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:47 am

How come he sits Haskin, a very good hitter, when he has guys playing everyday that can't hit their weight? Don't understand the reasoning behind his boneheadedness.

PDXKat
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Whats up with Sperry? Empty Re: Whats up with Sperry?

Post by Stonehouse Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:12 am

Well...... we'll just have to trust that he knows what's best. Considering that the team is doing the best it has done in several years, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Whats up with Sperry? Empty What?

Post by pilotlove Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:27 am

How do you know that Haskin is such a good hitter? He has 3 AB's!!

pilotlove
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PDXKat Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:04 am

pilotlove wrote:How do you know that Haskin is such a good hitter? He has 3 AB's!!
Scouted him in high school, saw him play both hs and legion. Hit over .500 in hs, ~ .400 in legion and he's solid at the plate.

PDXKat
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotlove Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:54 pm

No offense, but this isn't high school!! A lot of hitters hit .500 in high school. I'm sure if Sperry new he had a .300 hitter sitting on his bench, he would play him. Ofcourse, that is if he plays good enough defense as well?

My point is, you can question all you want, but we aren't at practice everyday. I don't think the staff are idiots!

pilotlove
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:19 pm

I know not everyone agrees with the book, but in Moneyball (the book about Billy Beane, not written by him), Billy talks about how hard it is to evaluate high school stats because the quality of play is not as consistent as in college.

The freshmen on this year's basketball team were probably studs on their high school teams, but as we all saw they had their difficulties this year because NCAA D-1 is much tougher than any high school league. The situation in other sports, such as baseball, is IMO similar.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PDXKat Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:17 pm

pilotlove wrote:No offense, but this isn't high school!! A lot of hitters hit .500 in high school. I'm sure if Sperry new he had a .300 hitter sitting on his bench, he would play him. Ofcourse, that is if he plays good enough defense as well?

My point is, you can question all you want, but we aren't at practice everyday. I don't think the staff are idiots!

Also hit over .300 last summer for the San Luis Obispo team made up of young d1 players from around the country. Just saying that if we have guys hitting under .200 doesn't it make sense to give him a chance? Could he really hit less than .135 or .157 like a couple of guys that are regularly in the line up?

PDXKat
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down