Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020-21 Preseason

+7
Woodless 2.0
ExpatPilot
lomiton
Snus Junction
DoubleDipper
wrv
Dean Murdoch
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2020-21 Preseason - Page 2 Empty Re: 2020-21 Preseason

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:06 pm

wrv wrote:I agree steps need to taken against the pandemic. But one has to ask why UO and OSU are not shut down if prudence dictates the government stopping intercollegiate sports--they practice and play in this state as well. Again, the state is choosing to treat like circumstances differently..
Point taken!

From Canzano: "Oregon Governor Kate Brown doubled down on her decision to shut out the men’s and women’s basketball teams at University of Portland and Portland State. She continues to refuse to grant either Division-I university the same exemption she gave to Oregon and Oregon State weeks ago.

Why?
"

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2020/10/canzano-oregon-gov-kate-brown-shoots-back-on-basketball-blockade-of-portland-state-and-university-of-portland.html
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11264
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:14 am

We have apparently come a long way from Coach Reveno hammering the NCAA for not allowing peanut butter on bagels.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2020-10-27/ucla-chip-kelly-food-costs-college-football
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:17 pm

Highly unlikely there will be fans at any UP men's or women's basketball home games this season...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:54 pm

John Canzano talks with Eric Reveno about the success of his efforts to make Election Day a national day-off for all student-athletes and coaches and about COVID testing.

https://soundcloud.com/kxtg-the-bald-faced-truth/bft-interview-eric-reveno-2
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:15 pm

Interesting Coach Reveno called out the Governor on her
Practice policy towards UP Vs OSU And UO.

Has Coach Porter gone public? He’s a pretty well known guy in this state.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:53 am

Ken Pomeroy dropped a welcome distraction last night by releasing his preseason rankings in the middle of the election. Pilots are ranked 241, which of course would be 30 spots higher than any Pilots squad finished over the past four seasons.

Then there's this one - https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/complete-college-basketball-rankings-begin-with-teams-no-357-201-ahead-of-2020-21-season/ - released yesterday, but the Pilots aren't listed in this list from 201 to 357 so apparently this guy has them in the top 200? I mean I hope it happens, but I'm wondering what Matt Norlander knows about the Pilots to have them 75 to 125 spots higher than they've been for the last few years.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:05 am

CBS meth heads poll:

186. Portland: The COVID-19 restrictions situation was so screwed up in Oregon into late October that Portland and Portland State were not given exemptions by their governor and were seeking to hold practices 8-10 miles over the border into Vancouver, Washington.

The amazing thing is I hope this is true. I was expecting an announcement that this year’s D1 pool grew to 358

LMU is ranked at 192.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:07 am

Yeah, Norlander lists them at 186, 9th in the WCC ahead of 192 LMU, which is a surprise because LMU under its new head coach is supposed to be surprisingly good this coming season.

(Sorry, I don't have link, yet)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:15 am

This link?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/division-i-college-basketball-rankings-teams-69-200-out-of-357-as-the-2020-21-season-approaches/
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:24 am

A quick scan shows CBS thinks the dogs, BYU, SMC, and Paciic are in the top 68 and going to the dance.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:32 pm

BREAKING RUMOR:

Unconfirmed at this point, and apparently not even Canzano knows  Laughing , but I've heard the Pilots are now cleared for 30 minutes of contact practice per day effective immediately, and if all COVID testing goes well, contact practice time will be increased to 60 minutes per day next week.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Geezaldinho likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:44 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Unconfirmed at this point, and apparently not even Canzano knows  Laughing , but I've heard the Pilots are now cleared for 30 minutes of contact practice per day effective immediately, and if all COVID testing goes well, contact practice time will be increased to 60 minutes per day next week.
2020-21 Preseason - Page 2 Screen49
2020-21 Preseason - Page 2 Screen50
2020-21 Preseason - Page 2 Screen51
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:52 pm

Oregon Governor Kate Brown wrote: “I am extending the Pac-12 exemption for college athletics to all Division I schools in Oregon because it is only fair to give Portland State University and the University of Portland the same opportunity that Oregon’s Pac-12 schools have had.”
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:58 pm

We owe a deep debt of gratitude to John Canzano.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2020/11/canzano-oregon-gov-kate-brown-ends-the-madness-levels-court-for-division-i-basketball-programs.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:07 pm

Maybe a thank you banner in the Chiles center.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:08 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:We owe a deep debt of gratitude to John Canzano.

And to Scott Leykam as well, who I'm sure worked tirelessly throughout all of this to get it done. I'm assuming he took his usual calm, measured approach to the situation when communicating with the Governor's office which was probably a welcome relief to Canzano (rightfully) banging the drum about the issue!

Great news. Go Pilots.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

ExpatPilot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:19 pm

Well, when Scott reportedly asked the Governor’s office
“ can we practice or do we go into exile in Seattle?” I’m sure the governor realized how it would look...

On every broadcast during the season.

There was probably a limit to the times she wanted to hear
the only two schools in Division 1
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:59 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:And to Scott Leykam as well, who I'm sure worked tirelessly throughout all of this to get it done.
Yes, nail on the head there, Deaner.

Scott calmly and methodically worked through the red tape and bureaucracy with diplomacy to get it done while having the student-athlete's backs all the way.

Was the expensive Seattle relocation a bluff?  It doesn't matter now, but I wouldn't recommend sitting down to a game of poker with Scott. Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:52 am

Oregon Coach Dana Altman wrote:“The nonconference part of it is being rounded out here," Altman said. "We’re still waiting for contracts but we do have some guaranteed games where people are coming into play us. We do have Eastern Washington, Montana, Portland State. We are trying to get all those contracts signed and all the wording right on the testing protocol. ... Then quite honestly the money is different than what it’s been in the past. we’re trying to work out equal or fair amounts to make sure that teams can travel and still make some money with it but obviously without crowds we don’t have the same budget that we have in most years.
Disappointing there is no mention of UP, but I believe UO is hosting a MTE during the first week of December with still unnamed teams, so maybe there is still some hope Pilot fans can pack Matthew Knight Arena. Shocked
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:31 pm

StudentPilot wrote:Although we assumed practice was to commence immediately, it apparently begins next week after UP's testing and tracing protocols are approved by the state.

Only 12 days out from the Cal Poly opener. I'm hoping this happened this week and the Pilots are indeed practicing now?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:31 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Only 12 days out from the Cal Poly opener. I'm hoping this happened this week and the Pilots are indeed practicing now?
Apparently they are not yet cleared for full contact practice while awaiting the go ahead on UP's testing protocol that is exactly the same as at UO and OSU.

There is again talk of moving practice to Vancouver, and possibly even the November 25th MTE too, if no clearance is given by to compete on campus.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:41 pm

Starting to hear a lot of chatter about shutting down the basketball season until at least February.

UP may not be able to go 5 on 5 yet, but there are at least 24 men's teams that are shut down completely due to the pandemic and the resulting positive tests that bring the NCAA mandated protocol and contact tracing into effect.

But the problem is not the protocols, they are preventing the spread of the coronavirus, the problem is the spike in the virus that is bringing the protocols into play...and there is no sign it will get better anytime soon.  In fact, it is predicted to get worse as we close in on the holidays and people around the world let their guard down.

Yes, starting in February and having "May Madness" would create havoc for school administrators, especially at the smaller schools like UP because of the potential for so many sports going on at once, but IMO starting the season on November 25 just means most teams will soon have to shut it down again until 2021.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:18 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:There is again talk of moving practice to Vancouver, and possibly even the November 25th MTE too, if no clearance is given by to compete on campus.
Well, that's not going to work either.

In Washington, USA  starting tomorrow, Monday November 16 and effective until at least December 14, "fitness facilities and gyms, and youth and adult amateur sporting activities are limited to outdoors only with facial coverings."

Just a thought, but the brand new middle and grammar schools near me have outdoor courts with roofs over them to keep out much of the rain. tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:16 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:There is again talk of moving practice to Vancouver, and possibly even the November 25th MTE too, if no clearance is given by to compete on campus.

In Washington, USA  starting tomorrow, Monday November 16 and effective until at least December 14, "fitness facilities and gyms, and youth and adult amateur sporting activities are limited to outdoors only with facial coverings."

Just a thought, but the brand new middle and grammar schools near me have outdoor courts with roofs over them to keep out much of the rain. tongue

If the Pilots were given an exemption supposedly the same as the Ducks and Beavers, and NCAA basketball is an adult athletic amateur activity in Washington, does that mean the PAC 12 season is on hold?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:19 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

If the Pilots were given an exemption supposedly the same as the Ducks and Beavers, and NCAA basketball is an adult athletic amateur activity in Washington, does that mean the PAC 12 season is on hold?

I haven’t heard that the Zags have shut down practices since they began on October 13.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next