Off-Season Player Updates

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

default Re: Off-Season Player Updates

Post by Courtside Kev on Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:13 pm

I tend to struggle with things that I can't rationalize. Can somebody please tell me why Malcolm wouldn't just stay here instead of taking a step down to a school like NAU? There's the obvious of course, he could be a big fish in a small pond, but other than that, I'm baffled.

Maybe he knows this is it for him so wants to get as much run as possible?

Any insight you can provide on this would help me sleep better tonight LOL

Courtside Kev
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2020-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39 pm

Courtside Kev wrote:I tend to struggle with things that I can't rationalize. Can somebody please tell me why Malcolm wouldn't just stay here instead of taking a step down to a school like NAU? There's the obvious of course, he could be a big fish in a small pond, but other than that, I'm baffled.

Maybe he knows this is it for him so wants to get as much run as possible?

Any insight you can provide on this would help me sleep better tonight LOL
Very easy to see why he left if you observed his body language this past season, and the manner in which he interacted with his father...much the same as Franklin before him.

Pretty tough to call it a step down to NAU considering the state of the UP program.  A quick look at KenPom from last season shows the Pilots at #286 and the Lumberjacks at #215.

Good for Malcolm, a really nice young man. I'm sure he's looking forward to having fun playing basketball again while working on his graduate degree.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 8558
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch on Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:43 pm

I thought Malcolm was the second most improved Pilot last year (behind Taki) but I really wasn’t sure where he’d end up.

Our older son is 5 now. I helped coach him in hockey this year and had been trying to get him to keep two hands on his stick for several weeks in a row. The second last practice before coronavirus cancelled the season, I was helping another kid and a different coach told him the exact same thing. You can guess what happened next, he finally did it and kept doing it.

It’s tough enough to balance the father/coach son/player dynamic when the kid is 5. I would imagine it would be even tougher when the kid is 19/20/21 and that’s why I give Coach Porter a pass for both Franklin and Malcolm transferring out.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 988
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtside Kev on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:52 am

Thank you for the insights! Watching Player/Coach relationships is definitely one of the weaker aspects of my fandom. Between ordering food from the waitress or getting in my 12 year old's ear about what they could have done better (or praising a good play,) I never really look to see what's going on with the bench. I see everything when I watch games on television. When I get to the Chiles Center, I'm like a little kid at the State Fair with eyes bouncing around everywhere and it's like a 2-hour euphoric roller coaster ride lol.

Courtside Kev
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2020-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:31 am

https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/464229-375127-pilots-athletic-director-plays-waiting-game

1. The big financial blow for UP (not just athletics) was the cancelation of Pilots Give, the largest annual fundraising event.
2. Portland will miss out on about $250,000 from the NCAA that goes to support student athletes' support programs — not to the general athletic department budget.
3. It was fortunate the WCC basketball tournaments were completed as fulfillment of the TV contracts helped the bottom line.
4. The cancellation of spring sports and the moratorium on in-person recruiting saved UP between $400,000 and $500,000 in travel costs.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch on Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:30 pm

Tryon lands at New Mexico State. Great spot for him, should likely finish off his career with a tourney appearance.

I knew he was too good for D2.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Tryon lands at New Mexico State. Great spot for him, should likely finish off his career with a tourney appearance.
https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/college/nmsu/2020/04/29/new-mexico-state-lands-portland-transfer-jacob-tryon/3053720001/

Good to see all the transfers land at D1 programs:

Jacob - New Mexico St.
Malcolm - Northern Arizona
Hugh - UC Davis
Theo - Louisiana

Unless the 1-time transfer exception rule passes and goes into effect this coming season, Jacob and Theo will have to sit a year, but Malcolm and Hugh can play right-away as grad transfers.  

(Cody didn't transfer, he simply left the team at mid-season).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor on Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:42 pm

Good for Tryon. NMSU is one of the most dominant programs in the country vis a vis their conference.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Unless the 1-time transfer exception rule passes and goes into effect this coming season, Jacob and Theo will have to sit a year, but Malcolm and Hugh can play right-away as grad transfers.  
The working group gave a thumbs-up to granting one-time transfer waivers for ALL D1 student-athletes now, and then the board agreed and recommended the change to the Council, but in the same breath stated the one-time transfer waiver is "not appropriate at this time"....and "recommended the waiver process be sensitive to student-athlete well-being, especially those impacted by COVID-19 in the interim period."  scratch  study

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-board-directors-and-presidential-forum-discuss-future-division

Jeesh, the layers of bureaucracy at the NCAA appear to makes everything move a snail's pace in the fast-paced world of college athletics.  At least the coaches can now include spread with the bagels.... Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch on Wed May 20, 2020 11:47 am

Off-Season Player Updates - Page 2 Eyedon10

Not really a player update, but this is as close to an offseason thread as we've got in here.

The @WCChoops account tweeted out this picture today. Who's the Pilot? Sure looks like it was taken during the '96 tourney game against Villanova.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed May 20, 2020 12:29 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:The @WCChoops account tweeted out this picture today. Who's the Pilot? Sure looks like it was taken during the '96 tourney game against Villanova.
That's none other than Chivo Anderson, a 6-5 sophomore wing...and yes, he was part of the '96 WCC Tournament winning team coached by Rob Chavez.

Haven't heard from our "Stoney" on PN for a long, long time, but the 1996 team also included 6-8 freshman Kyle Stonehouse, from Vancouver, WA.

Tough to pick out any "stars" of the team that year, but Kweemada King, Lemont Daniels, and Rick Brainard were the top scorers, as I recall.

One of the best UP guards ever, especially on defense, Dion Holton (nephew of Michael) was a sophomore that year...he gave SCU star and 1996 NBA first-round pick, Steve Nash, fits both seasons he played him.

Best name on the roster that year, Jimmy Rainwater.

Thanks for the memories...success like that is fun to recall.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum