Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ St. Mary's 1/30

4 posters

Go down

Pilots @ St. Mary's 1/30 Empty Pilots @ St. Mary's 1/30

Post by StudentPilot Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:10 am

In 2010 and 2011, for  my birthday, my uncle took me to see St. Mary's play in the Chiles Center against the Pilots.

Although I was not even thinking about going to college at the time, the great atmosphere in the arena, the friendliness of Coach Eric Reveno when my uncle introduced us, and getting Luke Sikma's autograph made UP the school I wanted to go to (and hope to eventually graduate from, once I start taking classes again.  Embarassed )

One of those games was called "Nacho Night" or "Not Yo Night," and the place was going crazy as the Pilots won one of the games in overtime and dominated in the other game.

Unfortunately, when I arrived on The Bluff as a freshman a few years ago, everything had changed.  Coach Reveno was gone, the team was not as good, and I saw little of the excitement I saw in when "Rev" was the coach...and I think those two games were the last times UP beat St. Mary's.

I guess the Gaels don't play in Portland anymore, but they're favored over UP in Moraga this evening by 19.5 points.

I'm in the Bay Area, so will probably go to the game, but just glancing at UP's roster I realize almost everyone I knew when I was a UP student is now gone.  Not graduated, just gone!

I'm assuming by the team's poor showing in recent years the coaching staff will be the next to go...maybe that's when I'll return to UP.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ St. Mary's 1/30 Empty Man I miss Jasonn.

Post by aleppiek Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:58 am

aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ St. Mary's 1/30 Empty Re: Pilots @ St. Mary's 1/30

Post by SoCal_Pilot Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:17 am

I remember the year I thought we had them beat at Chiles only to have Joe Rahon beat us at the buzzer

SoCal_Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2019-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:36 pm

SMC covered the 19.5 spread.

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmAlacki Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:37 pm

Over the past several years, my family and I would look forward to going to see UP at Chiles. Extremely sad that the program has been allowed to sink so low.

JimmAlacki
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2019-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:34 am

StudentPilot wrote:I'm in the Bay Area, so will probably go to the game...
I went to the Oregon at Cal game instead. Embarassed  

And based upon the score, it was definitely the best of the two games to watch as UO pulled off a 5-point win after being tied late.

I kind of regret not going to Moraga to see my friends Tahirou Diabate and JoJo Walker, but I doubt they were in any mood to hang-out after St. Mary's dropped 18 3-pointers against them.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down