Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just Wondering

3 posters

Go down

Just Wondering Empty Just Wondering

Post by A_Fan Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:19 pm

I attended the UO vs OSU Women's game at Matthew Knight Arena this past Friday night - attendance 12,000+

Today I attended the rematch in Gill Coliseum - attendance 9000+

Yesterday I attended the UP vs Pepperdine game - attendance 450

Anybody know why are there no metal detectors at the UO and OSU arenas, only at UP?
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Just Wondering Empty Re: Just Wondering

Post by StudentPilot Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:01 am

A_Fan wrote:Anybody know why are there no metal detectors at the UO and OSU arenas, only at UP?
Shouldn't you be asking the Oregon state schools why they are so cavalier about safety and security?

In any public venue the public deserves to be in a safe, secure environment, and by asking everyone to go through metal detectors gives fans the confidence they can enjoy an event without fear of violence...unless of course you're at a Kansas/Kansas St. game. Razz  

Most of us of a certain age have been going through metal detectors since middle-school and even grammar school, and would find it very odd not to have them.  I was told UP started using them at the OSAA Tournament in 2018 and adopted their use at all public events in August 2018.  

I went to a play, three concerts, and a basketball game in Portland this past fall, and went through metal detectors at all the venues.  It's just a normal thing for most of us under 30.  

(FYI: Virtually all UP buildings, including the Chiles Center (unless security is in place) are locked everyday at 5pm, after which ID Card access is required. The dormitories are locked 24/7 and always require ID Card access. Waldschmidt Hall is also locked 24/7, but there is a Campus Safety Officer at the main entrance 8:30 to 4:30 to assist visitors.)
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Just Wondering Empty Re: Just Wondering

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:07 pm

StudentPilot wrote:
In any public venue the public deserves to be in a safe, secure environment, and by asking everyone to go through metal detectors gives fans the confidence they can enjoy an event without fear of violence...unless of course you're at a Kansas/Kansas St. game. Razz  

Most of us of a certain age have been going through metal detectors since middle-school and even grammar school, and would find it very odd not to have them.  

Some of us of a certain age resent checkpoints. we see them as intrusive, a sham when it comes to actually securing a site, and emblematic of regimes that want to instill control thought fear. Such fear is part of what is separating Americans from each other.
having lived in police states, I don’t want our country to be one.

I hope your fear of violence didn’t cripple you at the women’s game this weekend when there was no security checkpoints present for the fifth largest attended game in UP women’s basketball history. I found it a refreshing change. I don’t think anybody there found  the day anything but enjoyable. I’m told it was parent’s weekend. Apparently they didn’t feel uncomfortable.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down