Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 Offseason

+9
SoCal_Pilot
wrv
StudentPilot
JimmAlacki
ExpatPilot
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
OldePilot
Dean Murdoch
13 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

2019 Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: 2019 Offseason

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:17 pm

We have no where to go but up after last year’s season?

Side note: New user name, same old person behind it: I moved.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:07 am

I think Pilot fans have learned a thing or two about whether the team's fortunes can only "go up." It has been a long five years. But hoping.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1443
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:44 pm

wrv wrote:I think Pilot fans have learned a thing or two about whether the team's fortunes can only "go up." It has been a long five years. But hoping.

Yeah but it’s mathematical this time!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:07 pm

wrv wrote:I think Pilot fans have learned a thing or two about whether the team's fortunes can only "go up." It has been a long five years. But hoping.
In my recent correspondence with a previous UP MBB head coach, he stated,  "don't think for a minute it can't get any worse!"
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:47 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
In my recent correspondence with a previous UP MBB head coach, he stated,  "don't think for a minute it can't get any worse!"
Thanks for nothing, DD!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:55 pm

up7587 wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:
Thanks for nothing, DD!
2019 Offseason - Page 3 Dont_s10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:20 pm

I'd happily trade away all my "Portland Pilots", "This is Our House", "True Purple" and other Pilot T-shirts, sweatshirts, and coats for just one that says,

PILOTS - DON'T THINK FOR A MINUTE IT CAN'T GET ANY WORSE

A motto that speaks to the true plight of being a Pilot men's basketball fan.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:17 pm

University of Portland power forward Hugh Hogland grateful for opportunity with Japan's national team...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/07/08/basketball/university-portland-power-forward-hugh-hogland-grateful-opportunity-japans-national-team/#.XSPqMXdFw2w
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Incoming point guard Chase Adams may not be big, but from what I've seen of him this summer, he doesn't have to be.

As most know, Marshall Cho, the one time UP DOBO and current very successful basketball coach at Lake Oswego High, has been a USA Basketball coach for a number of years...and one of his protégés is Chase Adams!

Marshall and Chase caught-up recently...
2019 Offseason - Page 3 Adams_10
2019 Offseason - Page 3 Cho_ad10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:44 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Incoming point guard Chase Adams may not be big, but from what I've seen of him this summer, he doesn't have to be.

Definitely looking forward to seeing Chase play. Some of his highlight videos are just ridiculous.

Everything still all good with Lavar Harewood and Quincy Ferebee? I see that neither player has been officially announced as signed/committed/whatever by the Pilots.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:13 pm

BYU is doing a good job of "loading up" under their new head coach, Mark Pope, and they are expected to make a run at GU this coming season, but if they do, it will be without the always annoying Nick Emery who announced his "retirement" on Instagram today:
04nickemery wrote:The day has come that I hang up the #4 Emery jersey.

Basketball has taught me more about life than I could have ever imagined. Playing for a university like BYU and playing with some of the best guys has been an incredible blessing. My time here has been a rocky at times, but the good times definitely outweighed the bad. I’ve learned so many life lessons and this journey has been so rewarding.

I am at a point in life where I am happy with what I’ve accomplished with basketball and I’m ready to start the next chapter of my life with my wife and son.

So I want to say thank you to my coaches, teammates and administration for all the memories and love.

And a huge thank you to all of the fans who stuck with me through the good times and the bad times and cheered me on even in my darkest hours. I am a changed man from your unwavering support and love, and I am forever grateful. Because of you guys, I was able to accomplish dreams I never thought would happen.

Thank you BYU for the amazing opportunity to represent your school. I have been forever blessed!
I'll NEVER be a BYU fan, but at least now they might be tolerable to watch... Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:31 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:BYU is doing a good job of "loading up" under their new head coach, Mark Pope, and they are expected to make a run at GU this coming season, but if they do, it will be without the always annoying Nick Emery who announced his "retirement" on Instagram today...
It didn't take long to replace Emery at BYU, as it was announced yesterday that 4-star PG, Alex Barcello, has transferred from Arizona.

Barcello will have to sit a year under NCAA transfer rules, but he'll have two years of eligibility after the graduation of TJ Hawes and Jake Toolson following this coming season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:46 pm

The FIBA World Cup, that includes teams from 32 nations, will take place in China from August 31 through September 15...and selected to the provisional Japan roster is UP's Hugh (Watanabe) Hogland...

Whether Hugh will be on the final roster is difficult to say at this point because if he participates, he will miss a minimum of three full weeks of classes at UP at the beginning of the school year (classes begin August 26).

There are 16 players on the Japanese team, including Japan’s “Big Three” — NBA players Rui Hachimura, Yuta Watanabe and Nick Fazekas, so Hugh's playing time may be limited, but what an experience it will be if he's able to participate!!

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/07/30/basketball/big-guns-set-lead-japan-fiba-world-cup/#.XUM-R3dFw2w
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:59 pm

Tragic news...Deante Strickland, one time teammate of Xavier at Central Catholic and of Josh at Casper College, is dead...apparently shot by his sister this afternoon.

Deante played two years at Casper and two years at PSU and graduated this past June, but was intending to attend grad school at PSU and play football this fall in his one year of eligibility.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2019/08/police-responding-to-ne-portland-shooting.html
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SoCal_Pilot Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:33 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Tragic news...Deante Strickland, one time teammate of Xavier at Central Catholic and of Josh at Casper College, is dead...apparently shot by his sister this afternoon.

Deante played two years at Casper and two years at PSU and graduated this past June, but was intending to attend grad school at PSU and play football this fall in his one year of eligibility.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2019/08/police-responding-to-ne-portland-shooting.html

That was absolutely horrible to hear about the other day, was a very gifted player and seemed to be a well-liked teammate. It seemed like he was on his way to making a real positive difference in the world, the whole deal is a true tragedy.

SoCal_Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2019-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:45 pm

KenPom has released a new ranking of all 351 DI programs since 1997. This is not a snapshot ranking of which teams are best right now, but a ranking of how PROGRAMS have performed overall since 1997.
https://kenpom.com/programs.php

UP comes in 9th in the WCC, ahead of only LMU.

Gonzaga 12
BYU 64
Saint Mary's 76
Pacific 133
San Francisco 135
San Diego 143
Santa Clara 151
Pepperdine 171
Portland 193
LMU 205

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:39 pm

Slow news day, but in the latest and most meaningful poll of the offseason, BYU and Pepperdine are ranked in the Top-20 in the nation...no surprise really.

Also no surprise, Reed College is the top school in the Northwest coming in at #6.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/here-are-the-top-20-most-and-least-marijuana-friendly-u-s-colleges/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:37 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Slow news day, but in the latest and most meaningful poll of the offseason, BYU and Pepperdine are ranked in the Top-20 in the nation...no surprise really.

Also no surprise, Reed College is the top school in the Northwest coming in at #6.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/here-are-the-top-20-most-and-least-marijuana-friendly-u-s-colleges/
You didn't clarify that BYU and PU were on the "least friendly" list. I am just shocked that the USAFA came in #1 ahead of the other service academies.

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:00 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Slow news day, but in the latest and most meaningful poll of the offseason, BYU and Pepperdine are ranked in the Top-20 in the nation...no surprise really.

How did Bob Jones and Liberty not make the “least friendly” side and UC-Santa Cruz not make the “most friendly?” I’m pretty sure that UCSC students once staged a giant 4/20 walkout once.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:06 pm

FloridaPilot wrote:How did Bob Jones and Liberty not make the “least friendly” side and UC-Santa Cruz not make the “most friendly?” I’m pretty sure that UCSC students once staged a giant 4/20 walkout once.
I know nothing about Jones and Liberty, but I would imagine the pollsters still remember when UCSC campus police confiscated the 2lb joint over 6 years ago...

However, according to a young relative who graduated from UCSC in 2015 (before recreational marijuana was legal in California), there were  upwards of 6,000 people celebrating in Porter Meadow on 4/20 during her senior year.

During her freshman year, Elly was interviewed at the event by an ABC reporter, Vic Lee, who became a bit of a folk hero to the students after joining them "to do some journalistic research."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:50 am

DoubleDipper wrote:The one big surprise is that BYU head coach Mark Pope convinced Yoeli Childs to return for his senior season despite a number of "lucrative offers from overseas."
In what I consider an absolutely stupid move, the NCAA has suspended Yoeli Childs for the first 9 games of the coming season.  The NCAA did the same to Nick Emery last season for receiving benefits from a booster, but this is much different...the suspension is due to his signing with an agent before filing the required NCAA paperwork.

This was the first year that potential NBA Draft prospects were able to hire agents without losing eligibility, and Yoeli took advantage of this rule and received permitted money for training and travel expenses, but once he was convinced by Coach Pope to return to BYU for his senior year, he paid back all of this money, including interest. But the NCCAA still decided to suspend Yoeli because he signed with an agent before filing the required paperwork with the NCAA...a technicality, not an offense that gained Yoeli an advantage.

Yoeli is expected to remain at BYU and contest GU the WCC Championship, but I wouldn't blame him for taking one of the "lucrative offers from overseas."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SoCal_Pilot Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:21 pm

The NCAA seems to consistently find ways to one up themselves when it comes to ridiculous rulings like this. The hypocrisy of their whole operation feels almost like a bad SNL bit sometimes

SoCal_Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2019-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:17 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Everything still all good with Lavar Harewood and Quincy Ferebee? I see that neither player has been officially announced as signed/committed/whatever by the Pilots.
You are correct, neither player was officially announced, but Harewood is enrolled in summer school and has been working out with the team.

Ferebee is finishing-up his associate degree at his JUCO this summer and is "expected" to enroll at UP late next week.

Most of us remember waiting for Ty Glover to enroll after finishing his JUCO summer studies last year, but his summer grades were apparently not good enough and he ended up at Alaska-Fairbanks.  I'm told Ferebee is not expected to have the same problem...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:05 am

DoubleDipper wrote:The FIBA World Cup, that includes teams from 32 nations, will take place in China from August 31 through September 15...and selected to the provisional Japan roster is UP's Hugh (Watanabe) Hogland...

Whether Hugh will be on the final roster is difficult to say at this point because if he participates, he will miss a minimum of three full weeks of classes at UP at the beginning of the school year (classes begin August 26).
Hugh didn't survive the final cut to 12 players and will be back on The Bluff to begin classes a week from Monday.

Kudos to UP staffers who were gearing-up to support him with his class work if he had gone to China with the Japanese team.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:11 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Ferebee is finishing-up his associate degree at his JUCO this summer and is "expected" to enroll at UP late next week.
Saw Quincy Ferebee enjoying himself at the men's soccer match Friday night along with the rest of the first-year students and freshmen...so all the MBB recruits for 2019 are on campus ready to start classes tomorrow.

Also had a short chat with Chase Adams at the game...great kid, I think he's going to be very popular with his classmates, teammates and the fans....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next