Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Men's Basketball - State of the Program

+17
Rochin54
Stonehouse
JimmAlacki
DTLegend
bobtcat2
ExpatPilot
Sound Voltex
blacksheep
wrv
StudentPilot
Dean Murdoch
PilotNut
NoPoNeighbor
bullwinkle
dholcombe
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
21 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Men's Basketball - State of the Program - Page 2 Empty Re: Men's Basketball - State of the Program

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:44 pm

bullwinkle wrote:I like everything you've said DD, except the second to the last paragraph.  
Yeah, thanks for that, I don't usually write with much emotion, preferring to "cool off" before putting words in print....I aim to do better.

I think we need to take a step back and realize no one has quit the team yet and realize college athletes today are constantly transferring or threatening to transfer, making it imperative for schools/teams to keep recruiting their players year-round because many talk about leaving to play in better programs, or at better schools, or in better conferences.

UP has had a several athletes from various sports talk of transferring in the past, and now that it's even easier to transfer without the fear of "tampering" or without a school's ability to block an athlete transferring to a particular school or schools, it makes re-recruiting even more important than ever.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11095
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Men's Basketball - State of the Program - Page 2 Empty Re: Men's Basketball - State of the Program

Post by wrv Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:10 am

One could also minimize the damage that may be done to the program by wholesale transfers. What standard are we to hold transferring players? If a player is committed to transferring, shouldn't that be disclosed to the staff? Isn't it even more important for the staff to know if there are going to be multiple transfers?Tricky
questions, perhaps without clear answers, but certainly the program has some interest in knowing.
This is a tumultuous time for the program.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:31 am

According to the internet, Brian Smith is now on scholarship. What are the implications of that in terms of the current roster and recruiting for next year?
https://twitter.com/branch_west/status/1087841700553285633

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1396
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:37 am

Congrats to Brian, but where's the uplifting "walk-on gets scholarship" video that is mandatory in this situation???

Also - is it just for this year? Can you even do that, or is any scholarship a multi-year commitment? Is this scholarship open because of the kid that ended up at Alaska Fairbanks?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:42 am

UP - Doormat of the WCC

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:34 pm

With all the dissatisfaction with the program, and apparently with TP, what is said on the Terry Porter Show on Mondays at 7pm?  

Can I assume that discouraged fans call-in questions that Porter answers, or does he simply dance around the questions?

When I was in Portland earlier this month I heard Coach Cantu on the postgame show....he was very direct in pointing out some of the program's problems.

In Puerto Rico we are unable to get much news about Pilots Basketball, does anyone know if Terry Porter Show recordings are available on online?  I'm unable to find anything with our limited internet resources.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:05 pm

The radio station does not appear to podcast the TP Show, or make it available on demand. I haven't listened this year. The afternoon hosts were joking around this week with Jason Swygard about how he can fill an hour talking about Pilot basketball.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:08 pm

This is based on no actual information, but I'd guess that the number of people who intentionally listen to the radio show each week is fewer than 10. Maybe a few more stumble across it?

I haven't listened to it this year myself, either.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:55 pm

The AM radio in my car quit working, so I've been saved from having to decide whether or not to tune in. I do miss the rest of my sports radio content, but apparently not enough to get the damn thing fixed (I bet it's even under warranty).
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:58 pm

Player development for top-6 returning scorers
2017-'18 >> 2018-'19

McSwiggan
PTS: 10.9 >> 10.8
FG%: .422 >> .408
3P%: .435 >> .340

Diabate
PTS: 6.5 >> 5.4
FG%: .563 >> .538
REB: 4.2 >> 3.4

F. Porter
PTS: 9.1 >> 6.6
FG%: .431 >> .419
3P%: .390 >> .359

M. Porter
PTS: 7.0 >> 4.5
FG%: .427 >> .468
3P%: .302 >> .292

Walker
PTS: 7.8 >> 12.3
FG%: .387 >> .395
3P%: .371 >> .340

Shaver
PTS: 12.3 >> 15.9
FG%: .414 >> .427
3P%: .266 >> .375

TOTAL FOR ALL 6:
PTS: 53.6 >> 55.5

Bottom line: Four of the six have regressed in terms of their contributions on offense. Walker is scoring more, but that's because he's shooting more, not because he is getting more efficient. Shaver is the only player who has improved his shooting percentages and is contributing more than he was last year.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:37 am

FYI for those asking about on demand Terry Porter Show, it's available on YouTube via the Pilots channel with shows starting from this month. I only know this from being subscribed to the channel and no, I haven't really bothered to listen to any of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvDnmqZ2PBQ&list=PLQxovHhtgRlduBW9vlM4vSdt3NJXm_7L7

https://www.youtube.com/user/UPPurplePride
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 816
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:07 am

It seems like a painful hour for all parties involved.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:09 am

In the 20 years I've been following the Pilots, I've probably listened to about a half dozen of the radio shows.  Those were all during the height of the Reveno years.  When we're winning, can't get enough basketball.  When we're losing (especially like this), who cares?  As PilotNut just said, it's painful.  Cantu gave a post-game summary of the situation after one of our losses.  It was comprehensive, succinct, and frank.  Nothing has changed since.   At this point, Pilot games are like a visit to the proctologist.  During the appointment, there are some momentary pleasures seeing he good looking nurse, but when it's over, you still walk away knowing you took one up the backside. Even one win would give us some relief, two would be an absolute thrill.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:38 pm

I’ve been largely biting my tongue on this stuff, but I’m at the point where I would be willing to let Cantu or Johnson take over for the rest of the season just to see what would happen. Trying anything different is better than the status quo.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:13 am

Maybe bring in the men's soccer and women's volleyball staff for morale, at least they have proven experience of turning around bottom of the barrel teams (remember when volleyball went 0-27?) into tournament teams.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 816

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:24 am

Well I think the decision has been made to part ways after the season. Just not working for whatever reason. Poor effort and execution in every phase. They have no choice but to make a move now.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:27 am

bobtcat2 wrote:Well I think the decision has been made to part ways after the season.  Just not working for whatever reason.  Poor effort and execution in every phase.  They have no choice but to make a move now.

Do you have actual knowledge of that? ‘Cause I see no signs other than a lot of chins on the chests.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:41 am

Geezaldinho wrote:
bobtcat2 wrote:Well I think the decision has been made to part ways after the season.  Just not working for whatever reason.  Poor effort and execution in every phase.  They have no choice but to make a move now.

Do you have actual knowledge of that? ‘Cause I see no signs other than a lot of chins on the chests.

No actual knowledge. But the deteriorating fundamentals and effort will force their hand. Getting pounded on the boards game after game, not calling out screens, just so many things. This team is much worse than it was at the beginning of the year, and it happened last year too. I would be absolutely shocked if they don't make a move- it could just be Porter quitting, this has got to be eating him alive.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:02 am

does anybody know if Scott Leykam reads these notes? Perhaps we need to be making our pleas directly to him.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:01 am

bullwinkle wrote:does anybody know if Scott Leykam reads these notes?  Perhaps we need to be making our pleas directly to him.

I doubt that he does... but I absolutely agree that our pleas and feedback for the Athletic Department should be directed through other channels; it also allows for them to respond to you.

There is a link to PortlandPilots.com in the list of links on the top right corner of all pages on PN. On that site, under Inside Athletics there is a link to the Staff Directory. Contact information is listed there.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:52 am

I think Porter is going to resign. He's a good man with pride and integrity, doesn't need the money, and this is just a complete disaster.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:21 pm

Reviewing WCC ratings in KenPom:
- 4 teams are in the top 100
- 3 more are in the top 200
- UOP and SCU are #204 and #205 respectively
- Pilots are #323
Ninth rated SCU is almost as close to fourth rated USD as Pilots are to SCU.
Only one Big West team (#329 Cal Poly) is rated lower than UP.
Only one Mtn West team (#339 San Jose St) is rated lower than UP.
Only one Big Sky team (#343 Idaho) is rated lower than UP.
Only one team from the WAC (#348 Chicago St) is rated lower than UP.
There are only 353 teams rated. UP is in the bottom 9% of teams.

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:18 pm

I wrote a note to Scott Leykam last night about how disillusioned I am with Terry. Got a nice reply back today. Said there are lots of conversations occurring. And really, what else can he say? I encourage others to send their thoughts directly to him as well.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Hello fellow Pilot Fans. It’s been a couple years I think since I’ve posted but you should all know I still stop by daily and see how everyone is holding up in these tough times. I stopped posting/writing/obsessing over the pilots a few years back because I was getting visibly upset every game day during the season and honestly it wasn’t good for my health or marriage haha. Also life happened and we moved to Sacramento and got a puppy and had a baby so that all put things into perspective for me.

But this year has been rough. I’ve only been a fan since I started school at Portland in 06 so I’ve only seen a sliver of the frustration some have, but this year is by far the low point. I’ve seen those frustrating games where we had it in our grasp only to fail to inbound the ball, or make a dumb turnover, or miss free throws, but I’ve never watched a team who gets down by 20 seemingly every night!

I think I had hope for this season. Between the “highly touted” recruiting classes the past few years, and assuming progress from our young players, and the hope Clark could bring some big time leadership I was hoping for a top half finish, but something has happened over the past two months and this isn’t a team. These are a group of players trying hard but without any direction or identity!

I feel bad for these players because I honestly believe that there is talent there, but it’s not showing. We are entering into situation that unfortunately can’t be salvaged. When you’re toward the bottom like we’ve been the thought is there is only one way to go and that’s up, but here is proof of the contrary.

I don’t know what the answer is, but I do know it’s not what we have.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by JimmAlacki Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:02 am

Actually I would have to disagree. This team has extremely limited talent and the vast majority of the team is not D1 material. I think the only talent on the team Shaver and Walker will not be here next year. With the present talent returning minus Walker and Shaver and Porter as the head coach-this team will be lucky to win 3 games all season. UP has tried to "look" competitive by scheduling more cream puffs than the local bakery.

JimmAlacki
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2019-02-03

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next