Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UOP at Pilots, 1/12 7pm

+6
ExpatPilot
Sound Voltex
bullwinkle
bobtcat2
Dean Murdoch
DoubleDipper
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

UOP at Pilots, 1/12 7pm Empty UOP at Pilots, 1/12 7pm

Post by Guest Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Pacific has lost to BYU, @USD and @GU so far. They are #173 KenPom (UP is #303). The Tigers are favored by 4, with a total O/U of 138. That projects to a 71-67 game.

Back to top Go down

UOP at Pilots, 1/12 7pm Empty Re: UOP at Pilots, 1/12 7pm

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:19 pm

UOP senior forward Anthony Townes is "only" 6-6, but he always kills the Pilots...

UOP is generally smaller than some WCC teams, but they are very aggressive, and last Saturday held GU well below their season average.

My guess the Pilots will try to pound it inside at the beginning, and attempt to get to the free-throw line...but will that work against the bouncy and athletic Tigers who will undoubtedly dominate rebounding by a wide margin?  

Here's a betting blog that includes some betting notes (statistical trends), and suggests their bettors take the over and pick UP...

https://www.getmoresports.com/pacific-tigers-at-portland-pilots-free-preview-01-12-19/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:36 pm

I'm reminded of the old adage, "one who bets on the Pilots and his money are soon parted."
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Yeah, Pilots are only 5-10 against the spread. Pacific isn't very good, but 4 points is basically a pick em. I would take Pacific and the over in this one.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:25 pm

You know, I'm flip flopping. I'm taking Pilots and the over. If this doesn't work no more bets.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Yeah, the refs were about as bad as I've seen, and based upon the ref who was literally 3 feet from me when he called a technical on TP across the court, their egos outmatched their ability.

Yeah, the Pilots were terrible at the line, and yeah UOP was just as aggressive as we expected and made it tough on the Pilots, but it's 3 games into the regular season and the guys are still not playing as a TEAM and they are playing soft.

UP has better players than UOP, but UOP plays with greater energy, aggression, and team work.

I will never pointedly criticize a player, but the coaches are professionals who are paid to do much better than they are doing!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:42 pm

Ha, never take the over in a Pilot game. They're averaging 58 ppg the last 7 games.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:51 pm

up7587 wrote:Ha, never take the over in a Pilot game.  They're averaging 58 ppg the last  7 games.

Yup- and only 5-11 against the spread now.

That was brutal. Missing 6 straight FT in a relatively close game will do that. I have no idea what the plan is on most of the offensive possessions and not sure the players know either. It wouldn't be a shock to lose every conference game.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:31 pm

How does one get a copy of the post-game radio interview? Bob Cantu was his usual succinct and very frank self - talked about shortcomings of the team, the poor job the coaches were doing and the horrible referees we had tonight. I'd like to hear it again. The man is brilliant.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:23 pm

bullwinkle wrote:How does one get a copy of the post-game radio interview?  Bob Cantu was his usual succinct and very frank self - talked about shortcomings of the team, the poor job the coaches were doing and the horrible referees we had tonight.   I'd like to hear it again.  The man is brilliant.  

Hope that someone who happened to be listening to the online stream recorded it.

I mean I've usually done it in the past, but with the current direction of the season, I haven't been motivated enough to tune in.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 819
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:45 pm

I didn't listen to the postgame interview with Coach Cantu, but I did witness Bob hold Coach Geving back with a hand to his chest while chewing on one of the referees as the teams came out of their timeout.

From the get-go tonight it was pretty obvious the UP coaches were not happy with the refs, but even Coach Stoudamire was unhappy on occasion.

The best fan comment I heard tonight was when Stoudamire was holding both his arms straight up indicating that his player had his arms straight and did not foul, when the fan yelled, "Stoudamire, that's the highest you've had your arms up since you were arrested on marijuana charges."

Turns out one publication lists Stoudamire as #16 on their "Top 25 Stoner Athletes of All Time."  I had no idea he was that good...
https://www.complex.com/sports/2012/02/the-25-greatest-stoner-athletes-of-all-time/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:51 pm

Stoudamire was great.

The Vancouver Grizzlies took Bryant Reeves with their first pick in their first ever draft. Stoudamire went next to Toronto and, well, that pretty much set the tone for the two franchises.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:03 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:I'm reminded of the old adage, "one who bets on the Pilots and his money are soon parted."

We also have a famous Pilot basketball saying: "next year will be better." Feels like I have been saying it forever now.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:17 am

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:We also have a famous Pilot basketball saying: "next year will be better." Feels like I have been saying it forever now.
It has happened, twice in my lifetime. I'm old!

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:29 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:We also have a famous Pilot basketball saying: "next year will be better." Feels like I have been saying it forever now.

Will it, though? confused

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 pm

In 2001 I asked Michael Holton, "Some of us are getting pretty old, is UP going to win a championship while we're still alive?"  To which Michael replied, "count on it!"

Now, 18 years later, I am convinced beyond all doubt UP will not win a MBB WCC title in my lifetime... at this point I'll settle for a top 5, but it better happen soon!! Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:49 pm

The inability to even be competitive, season after season, decade after decade, is quite embarrasing.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:05 am

Is this the new "current state of the program" thread? Been a few years since that one kept popping up!

I think the Pilots are definitely in a different place than they were a few years back under Reveno. The issue then was the quality of players, and I'll argue (with the benefit of hindsight) that the program's specific downfall under Coach Rev was the recruiting class he brought in for 2010-11. You've just got the Pilots to be a top-100 team and on the cusp of something great, and then with seven open scholarships you only get one guy (Nicholas) that turns into an unquestioned WCC-level starter. You get two other guys that could definitely be considered nice complementary pieces on a WCC team (Barker and Thieleke), a guy that would have been better served as a backup only (Rodgers), a guy that had two subpar years before transferring (Douglas), and two that didn't work out at the D1 level (Tanner Riley and John Bailey). You have to wonder what could have been if Reveno had the services of an assistant coach like Cantu to help him recruit while the iron was hot with the team was on the rise.

The issue now is something completely different. I don't think I'm the only one that thinks there's talent up and down this roster, but they're just not close to adding up to the sum of their parts at the moment.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:41 am

Who are the legit WCC starters from last year’s class?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:04 pm

Legit starters as a freshman? No one. Those are few and far between. Akwuba will be, if developed properly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:47 pm

up7587 wrote:Legit starters as a freshman?  No one.  Those are few and far between.  Akwuba will be, if developed properly.

I think Geez meant LAST year's class, so the eight that were brought in for 2017-18 (Walker, Fahrenson, Diabate, Stone, McSwiggan, Hogland, Clark, Shaver).
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm

I think mcswiggan and walker are legitimate in a starting 5. Walker seems to be most improved from last year to this year in my opinion without rewatching games or looking at stat lines that don't tell the whole story. Shave takes a lot of questionable shots imo. On a team work more experienced options I think he'd still be coming off the bench. Diabate has potential and was starting to look good at the end of last year. He seems to have regressed some on the offensive end. Perhaps from not having to practice against Hartwich every day? Hartwich was a very effective defender.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:33 pm

Alternatively it's possible Kramer is a pretty effective big man coach and in his absence none of the other coaches is a good post coach? Seems unlikely that nobody on the staff can coach bigs, but possible.

Last edited by dholcombe on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:47 am

From what,I saw we don’t have a coach who can teach the 2-3 zone. It got ripped apart in the first half.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:07 am

dholcombe wrote:Alternatively it's possible Kramer is a pretty effective big man coach and in his absence none of the other coaches is a good possibility coach?.
Last I heard,, Ben Johnson, one of the most respected coaches in the game, was coaching-up the bigs.

Bob was coaching the wings, TP the point guards, and Tyler was the rover working with everyone.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next