Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2018 Offseason Thread

+14
SoCalPilot
PilotNut
StudentPilot
Stonehouse
blacksheep
DTLegend
bdaddy
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
Dean Murdoch
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
MesaPilot1
Sound Voltex
18 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

2018 Offseason Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: 2018 Offseason Thread

Post by ExpatPilot Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:32 am

Crisshawn Clark wrote:@JoeRothstein University of Portland will be in the tournament next year!!! You retweet that.

Source: https://twitter.com/Ohio_Shawn/status/974859366439436289\

Love the confidence!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 776
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:24 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:
Crisshawn Clark wrote:@JoeRothstein University of Portland will be in the tournament next year!!! You retweet that.

Source: https://twitter.com/Ohio_Shawn/status/974859366439436289\

Love the confidence!

As do I! Looking forward to seeing this guy suit up next year.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:As do I! Looking forward to seeing this guy suit up next year.
As does the coaching staff!!

He's a been a very good leader during his redshirt year and should make a big impact on the team....it's pretty obvious that he really wants to win and has high expectations.

Still a very long way to go and mountains to climb in terms of other teams in the WCC, but if the Pilots can sign some key guys, they'll at least get closer to their goal.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:02 am

Smoyer transfer is official.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/977998540436680704
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 819
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 am

Maybe Clark’s prediction about a UP tournament appearance is based on insider knowledge about GU moving to the MWC.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:44 pm

Tyson is repping the WCC in the inaugural 3X3U National Championship along with Cullen Neal and Calvin Hermanson of SMC, and Henry Caruso of SCU. The original team list announcement appeared to have (or wanted to have) JW3 and Melson from Gonzaga, Landale from SMC and Caruso of SCU.

General rules:
- Only players who have just finished their last year of eligibility
- Half court
- 3x3 with 1 substitute
- 3pt FGs are 2 points, regular FGs are 1 point
- Winner is first to 21 points or highest score after 10 minutes
- Shot clock is 12 seconds
- General foul rules apply

https://www.3x3uhoops.com
https://twitter.com/3X3UHoops

West Coast just beat Horizon to go 3-0 in pool play, they will head to the quarterfinals tomorrow to face MEAC. Quarterfinals will be broadcast at the Twitter link provided at 2:15ET, semifinals/finals to be broadcast on ESPN2 at 4PM/5:05PM ET if they make it far enough.

Other team forums discussion links:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/godisagael/final-four-3x3u-national-championship-t8428.html
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?61675-3X3U-Tournament-Nominations-Coming-this-Week
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks for that, SV,

I watched some of it on Twitter this morning, and look forward to Tyson and the WCC making it through to the ESPN2 games tomorrow.

The great thing for these seniors, besides the fun and exposure it gives them, is the $105,000 in prize money:

The total prize pool for the Event is One Hundred Five Thousand US Dollars (US $105,000.00), to be distributed as follows:

   Each Team winning a Game during pool play, but excluding any Pool Tie-Break Game, will receive a prize of One Thousand US Dollars (US $1,000.00) to be distributed equally between Players on that Team.
   Each Team winning a Game during the first round, second round, and consolation round of the Event bracket stage will receive a prize of One Thousand US Dollars (US $1,000.00) to be distributed equally between Players on that Team.
   The Team winning the Event’s bracket stage will receive a prize of Fifty Thousand US Dollars (US $50,000.00) to be distributed equally between Players on that Team.
So far, the WCC has beaten the American Conference, the Ohio Valley Conference, and the Horizon League....so there's at least a little spending money for the boys. Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:20 pm

Looks like Tyson hit the game-winner for the WCC today!

https://twitter.com/3X3UHoops/status/980131381253558273

And now the WCC goes to the quarterfinals tomorrow at 11:15am PST

https://twitter.com/3X3UHoops/status/980174936399597568

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:17 pm

D'Marques and the  WCC did NOT make it through to the semi-finals, losing to the MEAC, 21-18. alien
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:04 pm

Worth sharing: it's a ranking of D1 schools by basketball budgets based on those Department of Education numbers.

https://www.facebook.com/enthusiadams/posts/2033130316961851

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:30 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:Worth sharing: it's a ranking of D1 schools by basketball budgets based on those Department of Education numbers.

https://www.facebook.com/enthusiadams/posts/2033130316961851

Pretty impressive what Loyola Chicago (#137) accomplished.  They got there with KU #10, Villanova #11 and Michigan #39.

GU is #38, BYU is #61.  The other 8 WCC schools all are in the 100-150 range, and average 117; UP is #121.  They all (excluding SMC) need to get their RPI to a similar range.

Back to top Go down

2018 Offseason Thread - Page 3 Empty 2018-2019 Season

Post by The Wingman Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:04 pm

I just read that Pacific is losing two of its top four scorers next year. Number two leading scorer, Miles Reynolds, and number four leading scorer, Jack Williams, are leaving the program. Ouch!

If the Pilots can avoid any major injuries or unexpected transfers, I am cautiously optimistic about next year.  My vote for starting lineup is:
1) PG - Marcus Shaver, Jr.; 2) Crisshawn Clark; 3) Josh McSwiggan; 4) Tahirou Diabate; 5) Hugh Hogland or Jacob Tryon.   In my opinion, that’s a starting lineup that can compete most nights in the WCC. Equally important, we have potential to have a strong bench led by Franklin Porter, JoJo Walker, Malcolm, Rashad and others. I’m still at a loss for why Rashad did not play more minutes last year.

We still have two open scholarships.  These two scholarships can add a lot of depth to the forward/center positions. Any updates from the recruiting visits this weekend?

The Wingman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2016-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:18 pm

The Wingman wrote:My vote for starting lineup is: 1) PG - Marcus Shaver, Jr.; 2) Crisshawn Clark; 3) Josh McSwiggan; 4) Tahirou Diabate; 5) Hugh Hogland or Jacob Tryon.

I'm definitely intrigued to see what Tryon can bring to the team but I'm not sure if the current plan would be to give starting minutes right off the bat to either of these guys.

I'd be more inclined to guess Shaver, Clark, Malcolm Porter, McSwiggan, and Diabate as a starting lineup with the knowledge we're still seven months out. Walker and Franklin Porter off the bench, Tryon/Hogland/Phillips I don't know much about so don't know which would be the leading candidate to spell Diabate. Same for Fahrensohn.

Would sure be nice to find an immediate-impact type 4/5, but there's probably 350 other D1 programs looking for the same thing.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Would sure be nice to find an immediate-impact type 4/5, but there's probably 350 other D1 programs looking for the same thing.

Very true... but we would have the selling point of said immediately open starting position. Let's hope the coaches can work some magic!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:55 am

Way (waaaaay) too early 2018-2019 WCC rankings by a hand few has us at the bottom (again), but hey, this is March April so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://twitter.com/CondorianFM/status/981284166665777152
http://wccboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1766

9. Portland. They were better than I thought they'd be at 4 wins but once again, don't have a viable inside game.
10 @PortlandPilots the Pilots have some talent, but are still young and have some issues namely, rebounding and defense. In the spring the Pilots need some bigs and we'll have to see how much they develop individually and as a team.
10. Portland. Porter lasts through next season, then you give it another shot. I thought firing Reveno was a mistake, and I think I was right.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:Smoyer transfer is official.
As expected, Joseph has landed on the East Coast and in the Ivy League....at Columbia.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:18 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Sound Voltex wrote:Smoyer transfer is official.
As expected, Joseph has landed on the East Coast and in the Ivy League....at Columbia.
He told me it was a toss-up between attending Brown or Columbia, but he went with his "gut feeling" that Columbia was just a "more comfortable fit."
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:28 pm

StudentPilot wrote:
He told me it was a toss-up between attending Brown or Columbia, but he went with his "gut feeling" that Columbia was just a "more comfortable fit."

Dubious choice. My best friend from high school chose Brown.

Brown has a unique grading system. Students can choose between a system that only distinguishes between satisfactory/no credit, or they can choose a system that grades A,B,C.

There is no D, and fail is not recorded.

And the South side of Providence has some great Mafia bars.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Basketball awards dinner tonight. Brian Smith was named Most Inspirational. Philipp was named Best Defensive Player. Josh McSwiggan received the Coaches' Award. And Marcus Shaver was MVP. Marcus was also recognized for being All-WCC Freshman team and WCC Honorable Mention Team.

All returning players were recognized. Philipp and D'Marques were not present as they were practicing for the Nike Hoops Summit. They gave their Senior Speeches via video. The two departing players were not present nor mentioned.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:23 am

up7587 wrote:Basketball awards dinner tonight.  Brian Smith was named Most Inspirational.  Philipp was named Best Defensive Player.  Josh McSwiggan received the Coaches' Award.  And Marcus Shaver was MVP.  Marcus was also recognized for being All-WCC Freshman team and WCC Honorable Mention Team.

All returning players were recognized.  Philipp and D'Marques were not present as they were practicing for the Nike Hoops Summit.  They gave their Senior Speeches via video.  The two departing players were not present nor mentioned.
Good rundown (and memory), up7587, thanks!

As I recall, the only other award, Most Improved Player, deservedly went to Malcolm Porter.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:35 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Dubious choice. My best friend from high school chose Brown.
Talking to Joseph, it seems his choice of Columbia over Brown was more pragmatic.  Columbia was being much more flexible about allowing him to graduate in 5 years instead of 4.  Tough for an engineer, depending upon focus of engineering studies, to finish in 4.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Wed May 02, 2018 5:05 pm

Saw an Instagram story from UP Athletics about the Chiles Center video boards getting a “facelift.” Anyone know what that means? Are they finally going to get HD screens?

2018 Offseason Thread - Page 3 6f3fbf10

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed May 02, 2018 5:29 pm

I don't know what that means, but the video boards are really out of date. Poor quality screens, no replay, and they are pretty darn small. It doesn't look like they are installing larger screens, but maybe they will fix the other issues.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed May 02, 2018 6:18 pm

I think we all have experienced the repeated crashing of the video system during games.  I have heard through the grapevine that the system that was installed many years ago was done the cheapest way possible--the software and hardware were not up to snuff.  This is great news and something else to look forward to for next season!  

The AD once told me that the "fan experience" was the next item to be upgraded in Chiles, after all of the locker room work, training and medical facilities, coach offices, etc.  Video/scoreboards are part of that.  I had heard the staff mention replacing the outdated center-hung boards and the press table signage... I had not heard that any of it was already happening, however.  Good news!

I know a while back there was discussion of making the 4-sided center-hung screens solely scoreboards/stat boards, and then hanging a video screen or 2 in the corner(s)...  I have no idea if that is the plan here.  Whatever it is, it has to be an improvement!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed May 02, 2018 6:32 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:...no replay...

The old board certainly had the capability to do video replays... in fact, replays were often shown during the first few years the board was there. But operating the board at a level beyond simply doing stats and slideshows requires a lot of manpower and technical know-how, and at some point I think the decision was made to dial down the "whiz-bang" features of the board.

Certainly, better screens and an upgraded operating system would certainly make the board better and easier to manage.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next