Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2018 Pre-Season Thread

+9
Dean Murdoch
dholcombe
Rochin54
blacksheep
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
wrv
NoPoNeighbor
DoubleDipper
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2018 Pre-Season Thread Empty 2018 Pre-Season Thread

Post by Guest Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:39 pm

With the Purple and White Scrimmage today, I guess the off-season is over. So I started a new thread.

The Purple squad had more players with experience: Marcus Shaver, Josh McSwiggan, Tahirou Diabate, Frankin Porter, plus Theo Akwuba, Brian Smith and Miles Turner (I think). The White squad had JoJo Walker, Malcolm Porter, plus Jacob Tryon, Hugh Hogland, Taki Fahrensohn, Xavier Hallinen, Wyatt Watson and Josh Phillips. I might have Phillips and Turner on the wrong squads, not sure. Anyway, the team with more experience trailed consistently, down 5 at the half, and ended up losing 100-75.

I have not seen any stats or box score, but the high scorer had to be Jacob Tryon for White. He made most of his points from the 3pt line. Fahrensohn had a stretch of hot 3pt shooting, and Malcom made a few from 3pt as well. On Purple, they struggled from distance. Neither Shaver nor McSwiggan was consistent with their long shots. Diabate was solid from the FT line, but other players were inconsistent.

Both Hogland and Akwuba demonstrated they could catch a pass and put the ball in the hoop. So I am confident we'll see much better scoring from the post position this tear.

Back to top Go down

2018 Pre-Season Thread Empty Re: 2018 Pre-Season Thread

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:26 pm

The loss of Crisshawn is making for some interesting lineup adjustments, but I would say the experiment of starting Josh at the 2 is over...he's a 3, and should remain there!

I’m not a real fan of the Purple/White games, but it is a good way for fans to meet the new guys….and one new guy who was very impressive yesterday was Jacob Tryon.  His 25 points on 9/15 shooting (5/10 behind the arc) was impressive for a Pilot 7-footer! Jacob’s White teammates, Franklin and Taki each scored 17, while Hugh pulled down 8 boards and scored 11. PG JoJo scored 12 with 9 assists for the winners.  

The Purple was led by Marcus’ 22 points and 7 assists, but Josh struggled mightily, hitting 4/14.  Of the two Purple teammates fighting for a starting spot, freshman Theo was very impressive hitting 6/8 with 9 rebounds, while D, taking longer shots than Theo, was 2/7, but an impressive 7/8 from the free-throw line with 5 rebounds and 4 fouls. Franklin shot poorly from behind the arc (25%), but still scored 16 for the losing team.

Projected starting lineup if the season were to start today:
PG: Shaver
SG: Walker, TP’s choice is likely Franklin
SF: McSwiggan
PF: Tryon
C: Probably D, but if Theo continues to develop, he is going to be very, very good
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:21 pm

Thanks for the reports, both of you!

I'm really pleased to hear about the offensive production from Hogland, Tryon and Akwuba. If they can keep that up, we could actually be a multi-faceted team.

Malcolm isn't much of a three-point shooter, but I still think he's the better all-around player between the two Porters. I'd like to see Malcolm and Shaver starting together at the guards, with both Walker and F. Porter coming off the bench.

In term's of Clark's ankle... I saw on Twitter where he said that he had a successful surgery. Any updates on a timeline for his return?
https://twitter.com/Ohio_Shawn/status/1053154500054118400

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:26 am

DoubleDipper wrote:The loss of Crisshawn is making for some interesting lineup adjustments, but I would say the experiment of starting Josh at the 2 is over...he's a 3, and should remain there!

I’m not a real fan of the Purple/White games, but it is a good way for fans to meet the new guys….and one new guy who was very impressive yesterday was Jacob Tryon.  His 25 points on 9/15 shooting (5/10 behind the arc) was impressive for a Pilot 7-footer! Jacob’s White teammates, Franklin Malcolm and Taki each scored 17, while Hugh pulled down 8 boards and scored 11. PG JoJo scored 12 with 9 assists for the winners.  

The Purple was led by Marcus’ 22 points and 7 assists, but Josh struggled mightily, hitting 4/14.  Of the two Purple teammates fighting for a starting spot, freshman Theo was very impressive hitting 6/8 with 9 rebounds, while D, taking longer shots than Theo, was 2/7, but an impressive 7/8 from the free-throw line with 5 rebounds and 4 fouls. Franklin shot poorly from behind the arc (25%), but still scored 16 for the losing team.

Projected starting lineup if the season were to start today:
PG: Shaver
SG: Walker, TP’s choice is likely Franklin
SF: McSwiggan
PF: Tryon
C: Probably D, but if Theo continues to develop, he is going to be very, very good

FYP.  
My line-up would look like this:
PG: Shaver; Walker; Hallinan
SG: M.Porter; Fahrensohn (waiting for Clark to get healthy)
SF: McSwiggan; F.Porter
PF: Tryon; Diabate
C:  Akwuba; Hogland

RS: Turner; Phillips
practice players: Smith; Watson

One of my fears is that either Shaver or Walker will be injured part of the season.  They are both aggressive players, taking the ball hard to the rim, and get a fair number of knockdowns from bigger players.  Hallinan may be needed again as a back-up PG.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:35 am

I weigh in on some of my observations of the purple and white brouhaha:

1. Coach Cantu is a voluble and fiery coach. At one point, he walked to half court and unloaded on the refs that their call was delayed by "two seconds." I did not think the call was that delayed, and am not sure what rule suggests you cannot call a foul with some delay, but I get the point: he was trying to protect his player by questioning the call.
2. Of the four big men competing for playing time, I thought Diabate showed the worse. Diabate's offence consisted of backing his player down; his shot was off, even if he did well at the line. Hogland showed reasonably well as did Akwuba. Akwuba is a rim protector; he nicely blocked an attempted layup by Taki. Hogland did well on pick and roll plays. He can score down low--he looked taller than I thought, but I did not compare him standing next to Diabate.
3. Looks as though Tryon will be an offensive force for the Pilots. Hard to see a scenario where he is not a starter, absent injury. This seven footer casts threes with confidence and they are generally accurate--nice looking shot for someone his size in particular.
4. If there is a notion that Fahrensohn is not ready for prime time it was not evident in his performance. He was smooth, handled the ball well and shot lights out in the second half, hitting multiple threes consecutively. I predict some serious minutes for Taki.
5. One person who seemed to have worked on his shooting and showed himself a steady presence during the scrimmage was Malcolm Porter. He hit two long range threes and played with few mistakes.
6. Hallinan certainly handled the ball well and made his shots when the opportunity presented itself. Halinan can play some: hope the coaches saw that and he is not relegated to the bench despite performance.
7. There is now a metal detector to go through before entering so leave your guns at home.

Enjoyable to watch on a slow Saturday for me.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:09 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:In term's of Clark's ankle... I saw on Twitter where he said that he had a successful surgery. Any updates on a timeline for his return?
A "debris clean-out" and a check to ensure the ankle was "set" properly.

No change to expected timeline...targeting mid-December, hoping for sooner!

Meanwhile, his attitude is great and he's receiving tons of uplifting support from many in the college basketball world who know the trials Crisshawn has been trough.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:16 am

When I saw Clark's cast and scooter, I was nervous it might be worse. Glad he is coping with it with a positive attitude. Hope he can explode on conference opponents as a surprise player.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:23 am

wrv wrote:I weigh in on some of my observations of the purple and white brouhaha:
6. Hallinan certainly handled the ball well and made his shots when the opportunity presented itself. Halinan can play some: hope the coaches saw that and he is not relegated to the bench despite performance.
7. There is now a metal detector to go through before entering so leave your guns at home.
The timing is unfortunate for both Xavier and the team, as he will not be eligible until December 15, the same date Crisshawn is targeting for his return.

The metal detector use started this summer with soccer matches.  It's was a little awkward at first until everyone, including the operators, became more familiar with the procedures.  It will be a whole new learning curve with the beginning of basketball because more operators need to be hired and many fans will see it for the first time.

If you've got any metal body parts, expect to be "wanded" after you set off the machine's buzzers....but it's still a lot easier than with TSA!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:13 pm

DD wrote:If you've got any metal body parts, expect to be "wanded" after you set off the machine's buzzers....but it's still a lot easier than with TSA

My beer belly doesn’t set off the TSA buzzers.....

Just sayin.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:44 pm

The procedure at UP soccer matches has been the same as Timbers/Thorns matches, Blazers, WCC tourney in Vegas, etc... its a bit of a hassle, but not a big deal and a reasonable security precaution in my opinion. I assume it will be the same at Chiles Center. It usually takes longer for the ticket reading devices to actually read the bar code than it takes to get through the metal detectors...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:06 pm

Is there a Pre-check program? Hopefully, cheaper than TSA's?

I don't see the need for it, but I guess that is what is becoming standard. More reason to sit on the couch at home.

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:44 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
wrv wrote:

The metal detector use started this summer with soccer matches.  It's was a little awkward at first until everyone, including the operators, became more familiar with the procedures.  It will be a whole new learning curve with the beginning of basketball because more operators need to be hired and many fans will see it for the first time.

If you've got any metal body parts, expect to be "wanded" after you set off the machine's buzzers....but it's still a lot easier than with TSA!

I'm still hoping to get my elderly grandfather to at least a few games again this year. Hopefully they will let us through without too much trouble. What is the backpack policy? We have a backpack we take any time with go anywhere with him and I really don't want to have to find a clear backpack.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:03 pm

blacksheep wrote:I'm still hoping to get my elderly grandfather to at least a few games again this year.  Hopefully they will let us through without too much trouble.  What is the backpack policy?  We have a backpack we take any time with go anywhere with him and I really don't want to have to find a clear backpack.
There will be metal detectors at all entrances, and backpacks, duffel bags or bags larger than 12" x 12" x 6" will be prohibited. Fans are encouraged to utilize clear bags to expedite the process.

As a season ticket holder, you will be provided clear plastic bags at the beginning of the season equal to the number of season tickets you possess...but you'll have to ask someone from the ticket department/box office for the bag(s), I believe.

At Merlo Field there has been a security lane specifically for "disabled" to the far right of the other lanes...I expect you'll see the same in the Chiles Center.

Additionally, only factory sealed water bottles and empty water bottles are allowed, and the University will provide refillable water stations inside the Chiles Center.

As PilotNut wrote: "It usually takes longer for the ticket reading devices to actually read the bar code than it takes to get through the metal detectors..."

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2018/8/9/general-new-security-measures-added-at-university-of-portland-events.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:49 am

It's already hard enough to get him to games. It's good to get him out of the house and he still likes going to games, but things like this make it even tougher.

I think I will just bring his regular backpack and see what they say. Are they really going to turn away a 93 year old man who's been going to games since the Chiles Center opened because his backpack is too big? What he needs just isn't going to fit in a smaller bag.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:06 am

Blacksheep (and anyone else with questions or concerns): I would reach out to the Athletic Department and ask how to best handle the situation. It would be good to have both them and you prepared ahead of time (and to locate the entrance best equipped for you).

The link above includes a phone number to the Ticket Office for security/entrance information: (503) 943-4687.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:43 pm

I know I should, but that's not how I like dealing with rules I find stupid. Showing up unprepared and having an argument with a security officer who's just trying to do their job seems like a way better way to go! Embarassed

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:08 pm

blacksheep wrote:I know I should, but that's not how I like dealing with rules I find stupid.  Showing up unprepared and having an argument with a security officer who's just trying to do their job seems like a way better way to go! Embarassed
Heck yeah!  

Here's the bag:
2018 Pre-Season Thread Bag_co11
(BTW, the ball in the bag was signed by all the Arsenal and Ipswich Town players prior to the FA Cup final at Wembley in 1978...I was an Ipswich Town fan at the time.)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:44 am

blacksheep wrote:I know I should, but that's not how I like dealing with rules I find stupid.  Showing up unprepared and having an argument with a security officer who's just trying to do their job seems like a way better way to go! Embarassed

I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and sent an mail asking permission to bring a bag. I just got a reply that they will give me and grandpa a credential that will allow a backpack. Big thanks to UP for being accommodating!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:58 pm

blacksheep wrote:

I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and sent an mail asking permission ...

Wait....I thought i knew your identity on here. Clearly i was mistaken on who i thought you were. Your internet anonymity is safe again.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:03 am

Rochin54 wrote:
blacksheep wrote:

I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and sent an mail asking permission ...

Wait....I thought i knew your identity on here.  Clearly i was mistaken on who i thought you were.  Your internet anonymity is safe again.

Good thing they didn't want to do a background check, I don't think I would have passed!
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Looking at the box score for the exhibition game, DD called the starting line-up: Shaver, Walker, McSwiggan, Tryon and Akwuba. Malcolm Porter also got starter-like minutes.

For those that were able to attend:
How come Marcus was so poor on his FTs, 4 of 8? The team's FT% was only 58%, too.
Looks like Tryon was not as hot, only 2-7 from 3P. Did he get open looks?
Between the four bigs, there were 8 blocked shots. How was the opponents size?
Theo only took 2 shots. Was there much attempt to run an inside offense?
Diabate only played 10 minutes. Did he do anything to earn more time going forward?

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:42 pm

Tryon just looked like his shot was off. Most of the looks were pretty open. Not sure why Marcus couldn't hit free throws, but overall the rest of the team seemed like overall we are unlikely to have any liabilities who can just get fouled without a chance of hitting their free throws this year.

Theo seemed like he is just not in sync with the rest of the team yet.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:11 pm

There’s a laundry list of D1 teams that the Pilots would smack by 30 too, if they keep shooting 52% from three.

Should we be concerned that the Pilots were significantly outrebounded by Antelope Valley?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wingman Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:33 pm

I had the opportunity to watch the game last night. I was impressed with the Pilot big man rotation. We had four capable big men. Each of them was active blocking shots and capable offensively. While we will miss Phil’s rebounding, defense and leadership, the team significantly improved its depth in the post. There will be growing pains, but Theo and Tryon are major additions to a team that desperately lacked interior depth. I was surprised Diabate only played ten minutes. He was productive in his limited minutes and I hope we see more of him this year. Tryon has a smooth stroke, but just missed some open shots. He also had some nice blocked shots and he rebounded decently. Hugh moved well and was active. Theo has a very high ceiling.
Overall, I’m impressed with these four recruits. Things are definitely looking up on the Bluff.

The Wingman
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2016-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:38 am

My impressions from Saturday's exhibition game:

The Good...
• Three-point shooting was outstanding. Walker and Shaver both look like they've improved in this area over the off season. Both Porters hit a couple. McSwiggan, too. Tryon even hit a couple, but he also had a couple of ugly misses.
• Point guard play was good: three-point shooting, driving the hoop, running the fast break, and passing. Nice job by Walker, Shaver and M. Porter.
• Fast break. We looked good and finished our transition opportunities. I hope we emphasize this throughout the seasons.
• Passing. There were several highlight-reel passes. The big guys did a good job of passing out to the open shooter when they got stymied with the ball down in the post.

The Less Good...
• Rebounding. We looked bad on the glass all game long. Especially on the defensive glass. Antelope Valley out-rebounded us 40-36, despite shooting only 23-75 from the field. Which means there were 52 defensive rebound opportunities for us, yet we only had 36 total rebounds for the game. This led to 16 second-chance points for AV. We had good size on the floor, but Antelope Valley dominated the rebounds. My impression was that our big guys were going for shot blocks at the expense of getting in position for rebounds. Whenever an AV guy went for an inside shot, 2-3 Pilots went for the block and nobody was left to go for the rebound. A number of get-able rebounds were also wrestled away from our big guys.
• Half-court offense. We hit a ton of three-pointers, and did well on the fast-break. But we did not look good doing anything other than three-pointers out of the half-court offense.

Other...
• Coach Porter played a very short bench for most of the game. I was hoping we'd see more for Faherensohn and Diabate, but neither one played enough to get into the flow of the game. Diabate's apparent regression is surprising and disappointing.
• The starting front-court guys, Tryon and Akwuba, looked pretty lost out there on the floor. They seem to be more skilled than any of our recent interior players, but they've got a ways to go in terms of knowing how to use that skill in the context of the team game. Out of position and scrambling for a lot of the time (flailing to block shots and letting AV get too many rebounds).
• Hogland scored the only post-up bucket of the game that was not a wide-open dunk. He hit a nice left-handed hook shot. Based on Saturday, I'd give him the starting nod over Akwuba. Hogland looks more confident and aware of what to be doing on every play.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next