Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Franklin Porter transfer

+2
Geezaldinho
dholcombe
6 posters

Go down

Franklin Porter transfer Empty Franklin Porter transfer

Post by dholcombe Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:44 pm

So there was an earlier rumor that Randy Bennett indicated Franklin is going to transfer. Has anyone heard anything more concrete. Have there been any additional rumors about if he will be able to get the 2nd year of sitting out for an intra-WCC transfer waived. Is there even an official process for applying for such a waiver? I don't have anything, but I thought this topic deserves a thread separate from his dads as I expect there will be a lot of speculation as things go through the process.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Franklin Porter transfer Empty Re: Franklin Porter transfer

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:25 pm

dholcombe wrote:So there was an earlier rumor that Randy Bennett indicated Franklin is going to transfer. Has anyone heard anything more concrete. Have there been any additional rumors about if he will be able to get the 2nd year of sitting out for an intra-WCC transfer waived. Is there even an official process for applying for such a waiver? I don't have anything, but I thought this topic deserves a thread separate from his dads as I expect there will be a lot of speculation as things go through the process.

There is no second year.

Here is the rule ( from the BYU website )

"In the sport of men’s and women’s basketball only, a student-athlete who previously enrolled at a Conference institution and transfers directly or indirectly to another Conference institution shall fulfill a one-year residency requirement upon enrollment and shall be charged with the loss of one of the four permissible seasons of competition.
"

The one year residency requirement is an NCAA rule, and has been waived for sons of coaches before.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:12 pm

Here's what I know:

Franklin will walk-on at UP and will redshirt this coming season per NCAA regulations as Geezer stated.

UP is still in the process of working with SMC and the WCC to get a waiver to the WCC rule requiring the loss of one year of eligibility.

No waiver....Franklin  will redshirt 1 year and have 2 years of eligibility remaining in the WCC.  With a waiver, he has 3 years of remaining eligibility after his redshirt year.  

Just a thought, but if he has only has 2 years of eligibility at UP after he's used one at SMC, do you suppose upon graduation he can just transfer to another conference for his 4th and final year of college ball? Probably another waiver required... Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:39 pm

No, actually, if he graduates and plays outside of conference for his fourth year of eligibility, conference rules have no weight for NCAA eligibility.

A final NCAA ruling would be required.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:57 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
dholcombe wrote:So there was an earlier rumor that Randy Bennett indicated Franklin is going to transfer. Has anyone heard anything more concrete. Have there been any additional rumors about if he will be able to get the 2nd year of sitting out for an intra-WCC transfer waived. Is there even an official process for applying for such a waiver? I don't have anything, but I thought this topic deserves a thread separate from his dads as I expect there will be a lot of speculation as things go through the process.

There is no second year.

Here is the rule ( from the BYU website )

"In the sport of men’s and women’s basketball only, a student-athlete who previously enrolled at a Conference institution and transfers directly or indirectly to another Conference institution shall fulfill a one-year residency requirement upon enrollment and shall be charged with the loss of one of the four permissible seasons of competition.
"

The one year residency requirement is an NCAA rule, and has been waived for sons of coaches before.

Ah, my mistake. I was thinking the loss of eligibility required a year in addition to the normal transfer process of using a redshirt year. So it's still only one year, but also requires a loss of eligibility rather than redshirting if no waiver is received.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:49 pm

Hmm, I wonder who the source is..... tongue
 Jeff Goodman  
‏@GoodmanESPN  
Saint Mary’s freshman guard Franklin Porter will transfer and play for his father, Terry, at Portland, source told ESPN.  
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:07 pm

I've read various forums that suggest that neither Franklin nor Malcolm Porter will count against the 13 scholarships.

I don't believe that is true.  For this coming year at least, it would appear Franklin will walk-on and Malcolm will receive the last remaining scholarship....unless something drastically changes.

It's a good situation for subsequent years, however, as it would seem Malcolm could become a walk-on with a free education when TP hits the 2 year mark and his both his son's educations will paid for by UP.

Walk-on Xavier Hallinan's mom is a long time UP employee, and although he'll see little game action, he works hard in practice and makes the guys he's scrimmaging against better players...all while getting a free education.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:31 am

Had a quick chat with Franklin at the Pilot House....

He began summer school on the Bluff today and is excited to be back "home."  

He also mentioned that "Coach Bennett was really mad" that Franklin decided to transfer.  I told him he should remind Coach Bennett that he played for his own dad when his dad coached at Mesa Community College, and that led to his success at SMC.  

Waiver process to avoid losing a year of eligibility is apparently ongoing.....

My first impression of Franklin: great kid with a tremendously athletic build.  I never saw his dad play, so I can't make a comparison, but Franklin has a set of shoulders that would make a body builder jealous. Shocked
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:12 am

Terry wasn't the kind of guy you would kick sand in his face at the beach.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:46 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Franklin said, "Coach Bennett was really mad" that Franklin decided to transfer.  I told him he should remind Coach Bennett that he played for his own dad when his dad coached at Mesa Community College, and that led to his success at SMC.

Waiver process to avoid losing a year of eligibility is apparently ongoing.....
As many will recall, the reason the WCC established the rule that intraconference transfers would lose a year of eligibility in addition to the NCAA mandated redshirt year, is because of a WCC player transferring to SMC.  

Seeing Coach Bennett last night reminded me that when the WCC presidents voted to rescind that rule this past fall, Coach Bennett and SMC voted against it being rescinded....apparently still upset that Franklin transferred to UP.

Regardless, the WCC has ended the requirement for intraconference transfers to lose a year of eligibility.  Starting this coming fall, Franklin Porter will have 3 years of eligibility at UP, and yes, he is a walk-on.  His brother Malcolm, on scholarship this year, will be a walk-on beginning this summer to make room for 1 of the 4 scholarship student-athletes arriving in May. pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:20 pm

I just want some clarification... The Porters are walking on because Terry can pay for them and that opens up scholarships, right? Like they are both schalarship quality players? I have been somewhat excited about next year since they would both be able to play.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:35 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:I just want some clarification... The Porters are walking on because Terry can pay for them and that opens up scholarships, right? Like they are both schalarship quality players? I have been somewhat excited about next year since they would both be able to play.

Both are unheralded by the major scouting ranking sites, but Franklin was good enough to be on scholarship on SMC and I'll trust that Bennett knew what he was doing on that one.

I remember hearing an interview with Cantu earlier this year. He said that one of them was a straight 3, but the other could play at either PG/SG/SF - can't remember which one was which.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Position wise, I would project Franklin as a 2/3 and Malcolm as a 1/2.

Franklin had two standout years at a prep school in New Hampshire prior to attending SMC, and at age 21 (he'll be 24 at the beginning of his senior season), has a very mature/strong body.  Malcolm was a two time all-state selection while at Jesuit, but his recruiting never took off once it was known his dad would coach at UP.

It is always difficult to project how a 2-star athlete will mature and develop their game, but based solely on the practices I've watched, I would project Franklin as a starter next year, while Malcolm will probably be a reserve unless his size (6-3) and red shirt year make him a better fit at PG than either Ferguson or Walker. With 4, or possibly 5, new players coming in next season for a total of 16 on the roster, it is difficult to determine who might redshirt and who might play a reserve roll....especially if the staff wants to continue with an 8 man rotation.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:45 am

I don't know a whole lot about the Porter brothers basketball skills, but I can tell you they are both really good guys who are outgoing and show no signs of "entitlement" for being the coach's sons.

From my chats with them, I think they both feel some added pressure to do well and will do anything to make the team better....as a reflection of how well their dad is coaching.

Franklin has "no regrets" about leaving SMC.....
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down