Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's Official: Terry Porter is New UP Coach!

+17
PilotFan66
mikemac65
DTLegend
A_Fan
blacksheep
dholcombe
ExpatPilot
pilotram
piloted
DoubleDipper
Geezaldinho
Rochin54
NoPoNeighbor
Dean Murdoch
wrv
PilotNut
Stonehouse
21 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

It's Official: Terry Porter is New UP Coach! - Page 3 Empty Re: It's Official: Terry Porter is New UP Coach!

Post by wrv Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:48 pm

blacksheep wrote:Malcolm Porter was on Canzano's radio show.  He wouldn't commit to wanting to play for dad.  

https://soundcloud.com/kxtg-the-bald-faced-truth/bft-interview-malcolm-porter

Based on that interview, the discussion here may be misplaced. The real issue may be not whether the Porters will graciously pay for their son's attendance because of the clamor made here. The real issue may be whether we can sign him over his other offers.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

It's Official: Terry Porter is New UP Coach! - Page 3 Empty Re: It's Official: Terry Porter is New UP Coach!

Post by A_Fan Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:21 am

Interview with the coach on OPB this morning:

http://www.opb.org/news/article/terry-porter-portland-trailblazers-pilots-university/
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:59 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:   TP and Susie can afford to pay for their kid's education.....if TP were to sell his Porsche it would cover the first year for both of them... Razz
OK, maybe I'm wrong about the Porsche covering both kids.....everything at UP....housing, meal plans, and tuition are going up over 4% next year......the cost to attend UP and live on campus will reach $57,540 beginning August 22nd.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:06 pm

MSRP on a full featured Panamera is $114,395.00

We could take up a collection for the $145
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:23 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:MSRP on a full featured Panamera is $114,395.00

Maybe I'm being optimistic, Geez, but I think you can get $145 for your car if you'd like make a donation.  Razz

Oh wait, would helping pay for a student-athlete's education even be legal?  Forget it, keep your car. Franklin stays at St. Mary's. Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:46 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:MSRP on a full featured Panamera is $114,395.00

Maybe I'm being optimistic, Geez, but I think you can get $145 for your car if you'd like make a donation.  Razz

Oh wait, would helping pay for a student-athlete's education even be legal?  Forget it, keep your car. Franklin stays at St. Mary's. Rolling Eyes

Boosters contribute to a coach's salary all the time. I'm pretty sure that doesn't put us in Phil Knight territory.

http://www.motherjones.com/media/2014/09/college-football-boosters-top-25

Or more directly,

http://espn.go.com/college-football/news/story?id=2783565

Maybe I could get $145 for the car ( only driven to games and the Pub) , but then you'd have to pick me up and get me to campus, wouldn't you?

Though with you chauffeuring, I could have a second Pliny.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:24 am

Terry Porter is this week's guest on Adrian Wojnarowski's vertical podcast, pretty big basketball podcast. Listening to it now

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-vertical-podcast-with-woj--terry-porter-151314244.html

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:19 pm

wrv wrote:Based on that interview, the discussion here may be misplaced. The real issue may be not whether the Porters will graciously pay for their son's attendance because of the clamor made here. The real issue may be whether we can sign him over his other offers.
Oh, I don't think they'll be a problem signing Malcolm....I think it's more a question of his unknown academic qualifications and if he will walk-on or get a scholarship.

I've perused the various scouting services and prep reporting sites, and all signs indicate he will play for his dad.

Hey, that's what his mom wants!! Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:28 pm

At UP for lunch today and learned that Coach Porter is in Australia....

Hmm, I'm sure he's recruiting, but is he recruiting only student-athletes, or is he also recruiting an assistant coach?

Every school needs a bit of a recruiting niche, and we know SMC has that niche in Australia, but there have got to be enough really good student-athletes just in the Sydney area that could help UP.  

TP has stated his priority is "protecting our borders" and not let Portland prep players get away, but IMO it would be very good step in the right direction if TP were to bring in an exceptional and experienced coach from Australia to add a little "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi," to the program.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Will the team stand for the national anthem? Or will we follow the Saint Mary's pattern there as well?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:52 pm

The recent and current Pilot players from Germany, The Netherlands, Spain, Ukraine, Latvia, Mexico and Canada have all stood for the National Anthem. Not sure why any Australian players at UP would be different.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:26 am

DoubleDipper wrote:At UP for lunch today and learned that Coach Porter is in Australia....

Hmm, I'm sure he's recruiting, but is he recruiting student-athletes, or is he recruiting an assistant coach?  
Reports from Brisbane would indicate Coach Porter is indeed looking for an assistant.  

The same reports were also reporting a lack of success....but who knows, it's all just rumor on a fan board. Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:52 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Will the team stand for the national anthem? Or will we follow the Saint Mary's pattern there as well?

Wait, wait. The Aussies on SMC don't stand for the national anthem?

That's outrageous. I'm not even American and I think that's ridiculous.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:24 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:Will the team stand for the national anthem? Or will we follow the Saint Mary's pattern there as well?

Wait, wait. The Aussies on SMC don't stand for the national anthem?

That's outrageous. I'm not even American and I think that's ridiculous.

To be fair, this year the team did stand for the national anthem. ( fewer Aussies on the team?) I even congratulated them for it.

But in past years the team left the floor for the anthem and returned later.
https://www.pilotnation.net/t3004-teams-leaving-court-for-national-anthem?highlight=Anthem

You never noticed?

If I had to guess, I'll bet the conference told them to show respect.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:48 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:At UP for lunch today and learned that Coach Porter is in Australia....
I'm sure he's recruiting, but is he recruiting student-athletes, or is he recruiting an assistant coach?
Hmm, here's a rumor.....and believe me it's only a rumor as I can in no way verify it, but what the heck...

Ben Johnson in Brisbane and Ken Bone at Montana.

Johnson has Dick Bennett and Mike Burns NW/WSU  ties, and of course Bone has excellent NW/WSU and Portland ties.

On the other hand, they both have very good jobs already.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:57 am

Caught up to Greg Crawford's Portland Pilots podcast (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/portlandpilotsshow) with Assoc. AD Jason Brough.  It was taped Monday.  No info re assistant coaches other than they're looking at a couple prospects.  Confirmed Kramer Knutson has been retained, and he was done some recruiting in the NW.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:41 pm

All these radio and TV shows and podcasts and the like, and there are no rumors about the next UP assistant coaches??

I did hear Ken Bone has decided to leave Montana (unconfirmed), but I have not heard anything about him coming to Portland.

The former WSU assistant now living in Australia, Ben Johnson, is starting to get a little traction....but does his wife want to leave her native Australia?  Cairns is a beautiful city in a wonderful part of Australia.

Another name that could make sense is that of current Brooklyn Nets assistant for player development, Steve Jones.  A Portland native, his dad, "Snapper," was apparently a long-time analyst for Blazer broadcasts and well acquainted with Coach Porter.  UP has to hire at least one assistant under 30 years-old! Right?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:26 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:UP has to hire at least one assistant under 30 years-old! Right?

Why? To "relate" to the kids? I think players want to win games and get better at their sport. You commented on a WBB player transferring, to play on a winning team. I see no need for an age requirement for any coach, as long as they can help the players get better and win. Winning solves a multitude of other concerns.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:37 pm

Thou shall not question DD, for he is the pre-eminent prognosticator! He has opined!

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:49 pm

Hey, I question DD all the time. I learn a lot from him, too.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:37 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I did hear Ken Bone has decided to leave Montana (unconfirmed), but I have not heard anything about him coming to Portland.
GrizSports - The Missoulian wrote:Bone resigns as Montana's associate head coach
“I just want to pursue some other opportunities,” Bone told the Missoulian. “I’ve been here a couple years, I’ve enjoyed it. But it’s time to look for something different than the last couple years.”

“There’s a chance I find something that really fits and it’s good......”

He inquired about the (head coach) opening at the University of Portland, but the Pilots went in another direction hiring NBA veteran Terry Porter
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:49 pm

No offense to Mr. Bone, but with the mess he left at PSU, and poor record at WSU, I can't imagine he was seriously considered for our position...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotFan66 Wed May 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Does anyone know anything about the other new assistants? Has anyone been hired?
Rev and Colin have new jobs. Does anyone know what Eric Jackson and Mitch Johnson are doing?

PilotFan66
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 04, 2016 1:10 pm

Last I heard, Coach Jackson was a finalist for a couple of coaching jobs and Coach Johnson was in Cleveland preparing guys who will be leaving college for NBA pre-draft workouts.

The only known assistant is Mike Burns....you've probably read of a couple of my speculations about other new assistants in this thread.

If I were a betting man, I would bet the next assistant hired will be Ben Johnson.  He and his family would have to leave beautiful Cairns, Australia, but by all reports he's a great guy with wonderful coaching skills.

Ken Bone or Steve Jones are still my other two speculative choices....both would be excellent and have local ties, but if Johnson comes aboard I don't see Bone taking a 3rd assistant position.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 05, 2016 1:19 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:If I were a betting man, I would bet the next assistant hired will be Ben Johnson.  He and his family would have to leave beautiful Cairns, Australia, but by all reports he's a great guy with wonderful coaching skills.  
Multiple sources are indicating that Ben Johnson will indeed be coaching on the Bluff this fall.

You'll note from his WSU biography there a great deal of Dick Bennett and Tony Bennett influence in Coach Johnson's career...similar in that respect to Coach Porter and Coach Burns.
http://www.wsucougars.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=207917712

He left WSU prior to the 2013-2014 season to return to Cairns where he had played professionally and had met his wife Nicky, also a professional basketball player.

Difficult to say when there will be an announcement from UP, but I'm pretty confident in my sources outside of the university.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next